Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    * photo sets (but they're old ones)
    From the photos in the quizzes for SG1, SGA, and SGU, they seemed to be the ones from the old Stargate site. I wonder if there are SGO ones like those.

The All-Access Mission Files and such seem like they would be wiki writers' nightmares. In SG1, SGA, and SGU, fans treat the side material, such as from the magazines, usually as not canon, because it didn't occur on screen, sometimes contradicts what is on the screen, and the citations can't be verified by everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
      The All-Access Mission Files and such seem like they would be wiki writers' nightmares. In SG1, SGA, and SGU, fans treat the side material, such as from the magazines, usually as not canon, because it didn't occur on screen, sometimes contradicts what is on the screen, and the citations can't be verified by everyone.
      I would call that bad storytelling anyway. Why would we need to read additional text to be able to understand the story on the screen? A good writer makes sure that the whole story on the screen, whether a movie or TV show, can be understood. Supplementary material, like magazines, wiki, character bios, or these mission files, simply flesh out some of the backstory or dive deeper into character backgrounds and particular events, but are never required to understand the story itself.

I just see it as an excuse by the writers to come up with solutions to the continuity issues and inconsistencies, something that fans usually do, to justify their decisions.

Comment

Great point, nivao. If the audience has to refer to additional texts to understand the story, it is not storytelling in the traditional sense, but something else and maybe needs to be called something else, such as an interactive experience, rather than a just a movie. Printed nonfiction books are starting to get into side material somewhat, with QR codes to direct readers to YouTube videos of the authors talking or doing demos, and that is poor writing if the demos are needed to understand the text.

Comment

Working...
        X