$20 All Access Pass question for StarGate Command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$20 All Access Pass question for StarGate Command

Does anyone know what happens after May 15th 2018 if you pay the $20 now? They really don't say too much on the FAQ.

What's the point to pay if we won't be able to access the 3 tv shows and stream them anymore?

http://faq.stargatecommand.co/

No, we don't. We've been asking this question for the last 5 months and they still haven't given an answer.

I want to support new Stargate, but screwing around with people's money is, frankly, is shady as all hell.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've been wondering that same thing. I have no problem with paying for a lifetime subscription (especially at $20), but until they decide what happens after May, I'm out.

Comment

I agree with you Krypton_Son, I have no problem paying a one time fee for a lifetime subscription. I just don't want to pay the $20 and then have to pay monthly. Hopefully they would grandfather people in or give them a discount for early payers.

I hate this separate system MGM is doing they should have left all the shows on Netflix and released the new Origins on there.

Does any know if Gateworld owner Darren Sumner can look into this or has any sources that can help us?

Comment

The only thing SGC is saying is that All-Access will be gone after May 15th, including all the "premium" material. What that means for Stargate Origins I don't know, which only adds to the confusion.

Comment

MGM has only said that "some of the premium content" will go away after May 15. They have not clarified what that is, but regardless it does mean that the subscription cost is steadily decreasing in value by the day. It makes less sense to pay in March, or April, and almost no sense in May.

That means the studio's profit model has to be front-loaded. Once Origins has finished there won't be much point in people signing up.

We'll report on GW as soon as we have concrete info, but MGM is holding the plan close to its vest right now -- if it has even decided at this point.

~Darren

Comment

I now that the free episodes will remain free until all-access goes away in May (*), so I have a feeling there's going to be a different approach.

(*) Came up in a reply on twitter.

And we'll still be locked out for the most part so no big loss there.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. lets hope MGM doesn't screw us, but i have a feeling they will want their $$$

Comment

I am guessing they will order an other mini-series until that time for a premiere in May/June. I doubt that the budget was bigger than 1-1,5 million dollar (= 50 000 paying subscriber) for Stargate : Origins, so they can easily order more SG stories. If we could get 10-10 episodes every 4-6 months it would be amazing, so the Stargate : Command could prosper. As I said in the other topic, MGM needs the fans, but fans also needs MGM. So hopefully it will be really a new successfull cooperation for both side.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    I am guessing they will order an other mini-series until that time for a premiere in May/June. I doubt that the budget was bigger than 1-1,5 million dollar (= 50 000 paying subscriber) for Stargate : Origins, so they can easily order more SG stories. If we could get 10-10 episodes every 4-6 months it would be amazing, so the Stargate : Command could prosper. As I said in the other topic, MGM needs the fans, but fans also needs MGM. So hopefully it will be really a new successfull cooperation for both side.
                    You're overly confident and I wouldn't set your hopes too high, especially since literally no one can answer the question about what happens after May 15.

You seem under the impression that the subscribers are paying for Stargate Origins production costs, which they most certainly aren't. There were simply not enough people for it at the start, unless their budget didn't go above 500K -- the subscribers on Command are not paying for Origins. They are paying a fee to watch all series and films, a fee which for the most part goes to paying for hosting services, website maintenance, servers and streaming fees.

Comment

I am just happy that something has happened with the SG franchise after 7-8 years...
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        I am just happy that something has happened with the SG franchise after 7-8 years...
                        I think most of us are, but that doesn't mean the execution is all there.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          I think most of us are, but that doesn't mean the execution is all there.
                          Agreed, indeed!

Comment

If you take what faq.stargatecommand.co states literally, you end up with a disappointing and seriously suspicious conclusion, first note:

What is the Stargate Command All-Access Pass?

All-Access is the membership tier of Stargate Command, offering fans ultimate access to Stargate Command. By purchasing the All-Access Pass, you will have exclusive content at your fingertips, which you may access and use on up to 3 devices over the entire access period.

All-Access starts on September 20, 2017 and ends on May 15, 2018. After May 15, 2018, the All-Access content will no longer be available through your All-Access Pass, but you will still be a member of the Stargate Command community, which will continue.

So All-Access is over after May 15, 2018. Now comes the telling part:

What do I get for purchasing the All-Access Pass?

* Stream the ultimate STARGATE library including all episodes of SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, as well as all three movies; Stargate (1994), Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008) and Stargate: Continuum (2008).

Thus All-Access, AND ONLY ALL-ACCESS allows you to have Stargate content. Even though you may be part of Stargate Command, you will NOT have any access to the past Stargate library content!!

This is very bogus. I think if anyone is paying for this Stargate Command pass, is going to be very disappointed come after May 15. Furthermore, it is going to reinforce the message that MGM has been sending over the years, that their poor Stargate Fan/Science Fiction Fan base relationship is still being seriously ignored. MGM has once already gone through, recently too, bankruptcy, and of course, revenue is more a key concern to the suits in charge than managing any serious followership of their cinematic material.

I fear that MGM is not prepared to go beyond anything more than a very low financial risk, like Stargate Origins, while at the same time looking for what ever immediate profitable return, that is available.

Too much corporate obliqueness and faltering cinematic direction has, I presume, crippled MGM. Consider their big financial failures at the recent box-office, Hercules, The Magnificent Seven, Ben-Hur and Detroit. With such recent failures, the latest financial backers would indeed be getting nervous. This is unlike their post bankruptcy successes like the Hobbit films, and their James Bond Spectre (distribution only) outings which would suggest. But those are now fading far away. MGM is in desperate need of a win. I am afraid, as much as a Stargate fan as anyone else, that Stargate is not enough of a potential financial win as they would like. Hence, the arrival something as mild as Stargate Origins.

For the record I think Stargate Origins is just a sweetener, just to keep the fan base going, and nothing more. I find it too simplistic in its story telling, and as far as the acting is concerned, well it would help if Ellie Gall would smile less and act more to the situation (like Gadot in Wonder Woman, she never gets dirty, hair is always perfect, and has an irrevocable look - Mary Sues, it does appear now, includes perfect dry cleaning and body beautiful abilities - blaaaah.)

The major problem is that MGM doesn't have the personnel with the vision to make Stargate a success. That being said, the situation isn't made better, in fact it is made worse, when the major film studios are all into the comic book to cinema fad; something as a true science fiction lover, I detest. That's the real problem, science fiction is being usurped by science fantasy (which I include Star Trek and Star Wars, sadly).

Today we find ourselves in a world of poor science fiction writers, and science fiction film makers. I hate to say this, I really do, but the days of good science fiction may be over, or at least, passing though a science fiction dark ages.

In short, Stargate Fans, don't count on MGM much, they have bigger problems to attend to. I will keep on hoping like the rest of you, but the clear obvious facts, are not too sincere. It doesn't help matters also, that everyone around the Stargate project, more often than not is too positive, but then again, that's Hollywood!

We'll live and hope, Stargate friends, we'll live and hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Pragmatism View Post
                              So All-Access is over after May 15, 2018. Now comes the telling part:

What do I get for purchasing the All-Access Pass?

* Stream the ultimate STARGATE library including all episodes of SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, as well as all three movies; Stargate (1994), Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008) and Stargate: Continuum (2008).

Thus All-Access, AND ONLY ALL-ACCESS allows you to have Stargate content. Even though you may be part of Stargate Command, you will NOT have any access to the past Stargate library content!!

This is very bogus. I think if anyone is paying for this Stargate Command pass, is going to be very disappointed come after May 15. Furthermore, it is going to reinforce the message that MGM has been sending over the years, that their poor Stargate Fan/Science Fiction Fan base relationship is still being seriously ignored. MGM has once already gone through, recently too, bankruptcy, and of course, revenue is more a key concern to the suits in charge than managing any serious followership of their cinematic material.
                              Actually, that's not true. You can still watch all of it, just not on Stargate Command. I believe Stargate is still available on Hulu, and iTunes in the US. In the UK, it's currently on repeat on what of their Sky-channels. And perhaps, Netflix can be convinced somehow to pay for another broadcasting license and bring it back to more countries for rewatching (not for creating new content).

And I assume most people will have the DVD sets or BluRays so you'll always have stargate in some form (in my case, DVD's cause I have no access to Stargate Command all-access, there's no stargate on TV, nor is it streaming on any digital media).

Comment

Working...
                              X