Could Harlan save the crew of Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could Harlan save the crew of Destiny?

I know it is a bit random idea, but SGC could have contacted Harlan (the android guy from SG-1 1x18 Tin Man), so he could have made android bodies from DNA samples. So every time they use the stones they could have used their "own" android copy on Earth, so they wouldn't risk anyone else life and they could also visit their family easier. Maybe later the crewmembers could have a choice to "return" in that body and let the real one die on the board of Destiny. It could have been a good episode idea how to deal with the immortality question. And what would their android soul copies say about to be sacrificed in a human body etc.
    Last edited by Platschu; 03 March 2019, 03:23 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

He is most likely dead
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Or he made an army of Sam Carters.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Not sure those Androids have a mind

I wondered if they could design and meld with the stones those mimmicking devices from Foothold, eg swap bodies with someone, put the device on and they they are a proper physical reflection of themselves

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Even if they don't have a mind, their physical body would be a perfect match for those ones who are on the board of Destiny. So every stone users would return to their own "copied" body, while the real one would be inactive on the board of Destiny. But later we would find out that this type of rescue has got advantages and disadvantages, so they had to return to Destiny.

That is also a great idea. But I wanted to keep that one for Todd if he lives on Earth in Area 51, so the Christopher Heyerdahl could play himself.

Comment

Oh wow still some life in here

I had been wondering if the Androids are a possible placeholder for someones mind in the first place as it has to be a transfer between two organic entities, but if Perry's consciousness can be uploaded into Destiny for example I guess it is possible to have a consciounsess operating inside of a machine

Yeah mimmicked Wraith would be interesting, especially for the guy Todd swaps with...

We never heard more of the Alien race from "Foothold", or them sinister Biological warfare experts who wanted to sterilise everyone

I do wonder why they didn't make more use of Harlan and Android building capabilities. Would have been useful in certain kinds of fights and their own version of the Super soldier

At the very least an Android character of the ilk of Data from Star Trek or something in the latter stages as a recurring Guest appearance may have been an interesting later addition in terms of operating some of the Tech, that episode where the Androids all kill themselves to help an escape showed the possibilities

One of those whatif things, eg if 5th had become a friend they'd have a Super hacker on their side

Better yet, I liked where they were going with Varro and the few SGA episodes with the Ancients in them made me wonder about having a few Ancient characters around in the latter stages, in this case I guess they would operate like an otherwordly Spock like character within the show

Either way I do think that as the show went on they'd have to figure out a way to get the body to reflect whose mind it was in
            Last edited by Ausfan; 03 March 2019, 03:51 AM.

Comment

They can replicate hosts for them like FRAN to transfer the minds into those bodies. This is scifi and they have meet with such advanced technologies on SG-1 and Atlantis that some of them could have been used in Universe.

For example. Gadmeer race (sulfur based planet terraforming race in season 4). They have examined thousands of planet in the Milky Way, so why could they not visit them to find other Icarus type of planets?

Or Galaran technology (memory upload or download) : save the knowledge from Eli and Rush with this technology to learn about Destiny.

or search the Altantis database for informations about Destiny and the seed ships.

or infect the local network again with some program to find any Destiny type stargate left behind in the Milkya Way or Pegasus galaxy.

So if we ever get a new SG movie or spinoff, I would expect the writers to build more on the existing lore.

Comment

Thought about that too, but then I ask myself, what would happen to my body if a skinjob entered my mind? Would it make it Better?

But I'm rather the type to go with the darker side of sci-fi, you know when people try to upload their minds into a machine and go insane. Who knows what the stones could do to a person's mind when he gets back to his body?
                Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 03 March 2019, 06:24 PM.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Probably the Harlan idea could be closed out as the excuse could be that the local technology can copy only such bodies which are there in present on Altair. So just because they would bring in some personal clothes or hair pieces for DNA, maybe that wouldn't be enough.(Not to mention what if it belonged to a cat or dog or the postman lover...) Theoratically the machine could copy personalities as well as RoboSG-1 was not an empty shell. That is the reason it could have been interesting to make an SG:U story where this escape option could have been offered. I mean if anyone could willingly return to an adroid body... This method could save Dr. Perry and Ginn as their original bodies are dead anyway. And it would be interesting to see if any passanger would "move" home with this method, but then the writers could find out a logical reason why it will still not work and they would decide to return to the Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    Probably the Harlan idea could be closed out as the excuse could be that the local technology can copy only such bodies which are there in present on Altair. So just because they would bring in some personal clothes or hair pieces for DNA, maybe that wouldn't be enough.(Not to mention what if it belonged to a cat or dog or the postman lover...) Theoratically the machine could copy personalities as well as RoboSG-1 was not an empty shell. That is the reason it could have been interesting to make an SG:U story where this escape option could have been offered. I mean if anyone could willingly return to an adroid body... This method could save Dr. Perry and Ginn as their original bodies are dead anyway. And it would be interesting to see if any passanger would "move" home with this method, but then the writers could find out a logical reason why it will still not work and they would decide to return to the Destiny.
                    I feel like TBTB tried to stay a good distance away from those first seasons episodes, as everything's been retcon more or less (like the Zats). Why not have a bunch of clones going on missions instead of the real persons? Imagine having a few clones tagging along with you, you could use them as meat-shields or something and I think it would be ''overpowered'' a bit. But it is a great idea and I agree that they should mention it and maybe have a scientist dismiss it or something.

And answer this honestly, do you REALLY want this guy to make it BETTA! The annoyance outweighs the benefits, wouldn't you agree?
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

There could be some restrictions, since Harlan also could have made a dozen RobotCarter or RobotO'Neill, but maybe he has got limited resources. Or this whole SG:U crossover would last only one episode as this experiment would fail. They could have done more story connection with Atlantis/SG-1 then the audience could have accepted their desperate situation even more.

I had something similar in my Asgard related spinoff idea. In a nutshell : I wanted to introduce a human culture with Viking backgrounds, who was moved to Ida galaxy by the Asgard/Vanir. They are heavily dependent on Asgard tech. Our new hero would be an explorer who is sent through the stargate with his favorite Asgard drone / pet. His adventures are broadcasted back to the home planet through the stargate like a reality show. It looks like the locals can't use the stargates as it was forbidden by the Asgard. Later we would find out that they all suffer from a genetic modification what the Vanirs caused, so their biology is sensitive to the wormhole desintegration and rebuild as that was the way how they wanted to study their own genetic degradtion. We would learn more about the exoskeletons which were seen on Atlantis and on Destiny, so there could be a connection why teh Vanirs have gone to the Destiny in the past. We could also learn that the Asgard controlled and modified stargate network has got different functions as it must have been updated to the war against Replicators. (Like DNA scan to close out Replicators to travel through the stargate, Asgard beaming through stargate, recall options, Asgard jumpers, shield domes, war drones etc.) What our new main hero also doesn't know what he is just a clone or android and he can never return. He will join the new team to help his civilization from the Vanir conspiracy while they try to maintain his life expectancy etc. And this one will be just one backstory for a new hero. It could be even started on an Asgard Protected Planet in the Milky Way (or even Harlan's race on an other planet) as I am sure it would shape up things if all the Asgard techs end up in the wrong hands...
                      Last edited by Platschu; 05 March 2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X