Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGO Apparent Continuity Contradictions - Explanations and Speculation (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerem View Post
    While I'd be extremely surprised (and a bit sad) that Isis turn out to be Aset's clone, I wouldn't call "cloning technology" out-of-reach considering what we, lowly humans, already are achieving in this area since the 90s. We even have a great examples in-universe like in "Nightwalkers", where Flemming from Immunitech successfully cloned Adrian Conrad's symbiote using purely human technology. If humans can clone symbiotes, surely a Goa'uld scientist could too?
    Cloning is one of those things where Stargate acted like it would be super complex whereas nowadays it's pretty much doable in a reasonable fashion.

Comment

Considering it was called the "Isis jar" multiple times in "The Curse", one must assume it refers to the identity of the symbiote within. Especially when considering the other jar was referred to as the "Osiris jar" and turned out to really be containing Osiris.

You could still have a case here of mistaken identity. Seth could have put someone else inside the jar without knowing himself, that wouldn't be incompatible. Still not a satisfying explanation though if you ask me.
      I agree that that's possible but I would like to point out that in that same episode, Dr Jackson said "the hieroglyphs identify the jar as Isis...Goa'uld symbol indicate Isis & Osiris suffered some kind on punishment/banishment", so these facts should more likely to be (in show) accurate/still canon with SGO. But also said was "legend has it that Osiris was placed in magic box and dump into Nile by Seth", keyword on LEGEND has it, meaning part of the statement is mostly true with possible deviations. My guess here is the banishment is going to be episode 10 of SGO with deviation from legend being Ra instead of Seth doing the banishment. (Boy are there a lot of theories flying around with just 3 SGO episodes released )

Comment

In "The Curse", the symbiote was found still in the jar, dead and intact/complete. It was examined by Sam & Janet. So it can't really have escaped the jar AFTER 1931 and come back to it BEFORE 2000 while it was at the bottom of the ocean.
        I obviously need to rewatch The Curse. I was going to edit my post but ended up deleting it...

Originally posted by Supergater View Post
        (Boy are there a lot of theories flying around with just 3 SGO episodes released )
        Welcome to Gateworld lol....

One thought I had with this whole thing.... Prof Langford theorises that they are in the past. Maybe they hit a solar flare and they are...
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
          One thought I had with this whole thing.... Prof Langford theorises that they are in the past. Maybe they hit a solar flare and they are...
          Stuff like this just reminds me of how insanely many things the Stargate has done.

Comment

Just a theoratical question. When Mitchell escaped through the stargate in the Continuum then he must have showed up in 1929 through the gate in Egypt on Earth. Was the gate digged out? It must have been, so how could nobody notice an incoming traveller? Or shall we treat this plothole as a new AU created while "Origins" plays in our normal reality?
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              Just a theoratical question. When Mitchell escaped through the stargate in the Continuum then he must have showed up in 1929 through the gate in Egypt on Earth. Was the gate digged out? It must have been, so how could nobody notice an incoming traveller? Or shall we treat this plothole as a new AU created while "Origins" plays in our normal reality?
              I've said it before, but for this reason I'm hoping they managed to get Ben Browder in the show

Comment

I doubt that he will be involved because then we have heard about it I believe and he should stay away from the gate to not cause any time paradox. I still hope to see him in the final scene of Origins if it ends up with the Achilleus. But if they plan to have a second season then maybe they will leave the transport out. Or if the second season could be laid in the USA then Paul McGillion could make a little cameo again as Ernest (even if he would look much older now).
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  Cloning is one of those things where Stargate acted like it would be super complex whereas nowadays it's pretty much doable in a reasonable fashion.
                  What made it look super complex?
                  Granted the Asgard cloning problem was an unsolvable one in the end. But the problem wasn't cloning per-sé, but rather the consequences that result with multiple generations of clones. Or as Carter put it so O'Neill could understand, the problems with making a copy of a copy of a copy. Eventually there's degradation.
                  I don't remember anything in particular that made the process of cloning itself seem super hard. The only thing that comes to mind is from "Resurrection", but there again it wasn't cloning itself the difficulty, it was combining human and Goa'uld DNA together in a viable living being that proved difficult.

Originally posted by Supergater View Post
                  I agree that that's possible but I would like to point out that in that same episode, Dr Jackson said "the hieroglyphs identify the jar as Isis...Goa'uld symbol indicate Isis & Osiris suffered some kind on punishment/banishment", so these facts should more likely to be (in show) accurate/still canon with SGO. But also said was "legend has it that Osiris was placed in magic box and dump into Nile by Seth", keyword on LEGEND has it, meaning part of the statement is mostly true with possible deviations. My guess here is the banishment is going to be episode 10 of SGO with deviation from legend being Ra instead of Seth doing the banishment. (Boy are there a lot of theories flying around with just 3 SGO episodes released )
                  Yeah, the "legend" allow for some potential leeway story-wise, as to who might have put them in the jar, and for which purpose. That's where I feel a retcon will help fill-in the gaps and make it consistent (so we are promised).

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                  Seemed obvious to me that the intent was to show Langford being wrong once again instead of providing another possible explanation to their adventures. But I suppose that's always possible at this point.

Hmmm, interesting. I had not considered Mitchell coming back in 1929.
                  Since the gate was raised in Giza in 1928, we can safely assume he landed in Egypt. Otherwise he would have landed in the crevasse in Antarctica . Perhaps even landing in the same warehouse as we saw in SGO, depending if the gate was there for the whole 10 years they were studying it.

I suppose it's always possible he came through unnoticed. Nothing says the gate was being guarded 24/7 in 1929. Even in SGO's first episode there's nobody noticing the Nazi coming in until they are out of their car.

Now I really really want to see a Ben Browder cameo in the last episode, as they put the gate in the Achilles

Since I don't see any reason to call it a plothole, I see no reason to split the Stargate timeline in two. Hopefully that will remain true forever! I'd hate to see them do something like they did in the latest series of StarTrek movies, splitting the timeline in two independent story lines.

Comment

If Mitchell could have arrived in the warehouse maybe he was able to walk out from the warehouse as you said. It would be nice if he could save the Langfords at the end without revealing his identity then he could convice them to move it the USA immediately.

I don't remember the ToT perfectly, but where have they found the gate address to Heliopolis?

Other things. Is there any chance that can upgrade the wormhole effect and gate sound effects (kawoosh, entering wormhole, locking chevrons etc.) in the next few episodes? It is so disturbing that they haven't used what were established in SG-1. But it was amazing to see the entering scene like in the SG movie, so they definately surprised me with this. Well done.

edit. I had an other idea. What if Dietrich, the German contract of Prof.Langford is Mitchell? I know that the chances are almost zero, but he has arrived 10 years ago. We could see it in a short flashback, then he started a new identity while he tried to support and protect Prof. Langford and Catherine. He had 10 years to learn German and to find out where the DHD is. It could explain how the Nazis had his diary... And he also arrived to the SGC after Catherine has died, so probably they have never met later. Anyway I am sure I have overcomplicated the story now.
                    Last edited by Platschu; 21 February 2018, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I don't believe they ever stated where they found the address for Heliopolis.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                        Hmm, I recall that Daniel mentioned in the episode that the address was similar to Abydos, which meant the planet was very close to Earth like Abydos and could thus be dialed without taking stellar drift into account.

Comment

edit. I had an other idea. What if Dietrich, the German contract of Prof.Langford is Mitchell? I know that the chances are almost zero, but he has arrived 10 years ago. We could see it in a short flashback, then he started a new identity while he tried to support and protect Prof. Langford and Catherine. He had 10 years to learn German and to find out where the DHD is. It could explain how the Nazis had his diary... And he also arrived to the SGC after Catherine has died, so probably they have never met later. Anyway I am sure I have overcomplicated the story now.
                          Damn the speculation is going out of hand... But now I think we're crossing in the domain of fanfiction I would LOVE that to be true though.

I don't remember the ToT perfectly, but where have they found the gate address to Heliopolis?
                          Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                          I believe it was understood to be found through the process of random dialing. It was actually the first ever discovered address unknown to the Goa'ulds (Not on the Abydos cartouche). Sam brought that point up during the mission briefing, and Daniel followed by saying it was their first evidence that the Goa'uld didn't build the Stargates.

ToT was on the LIVE rewatch yesterday on Youtube, so that's why my memory is so fresh about it

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                          Hmm, I recall that Daniel mentioned in the episode that the address was similar to Abydos, which meant the planet was very close to Earth like Abydos and could thus be dialed without taking stellar drift into account.
                          Correct!

Comment

Some people had complained about the gate looking different than in the film (too shiny for example).

I think they just provided an explanation at the start of the 4th episode.
                            We see a guy cleaning it! Perhaps that the first clean gate we've ever seen? In the movie it was just dirty?

Comment

Some people had complained about the gate looking different than in the film (too shiny for example).

I think they just provided an explanation at the start of the 4th episode.
                              We see a guy cleaning it! Perhaps that the first clean gate we've ever seen? In the movie it was just dirty?
                              I think most people complain about the fact it doesn't look like the gate from the series, which is what Origins is supposed to fit in. I don't think any amount of cleaning is going to help , unless they remove the grey dirt on the chevrons and they suddenly turn red

Comment

Yep, it's obvious now - all the gates we saw before were just dirty

Couple of other things from this week's episodes:

They could see stars when they went through the gate
                                Should they? Did I misunderstand this scene? I was always under the impression that travellers were democularised on passing through the event horizon and re-assembled on the other end. So they shouldn't have seen anything. The gate travelling effect is just a visual thing for the audience.

I guess they could have been referring to the point while their face is in the "water", just before demolecularisation.

Goa'uld permanently glowing eyes
                                We never saw this in the series, but I guess this isn't proof they can't

The explanation for Aset/Isis is hinted at. She refers to her resurrection in the show, and the mission files said this

Originally posted by mission file ep 5
                                especially after Ra had allowed her a rare second chance - a literal rebirth, if you will
                                If anyone is wondering how the Abydonians used the healing device:

Originally posted by mission file ep 5
                                Motahk and Kasuf both call for the Wand of Horus, a special healing device gifted to the villagers by their god, Aset. The device was a new creation of Aset’s, utilizing similar technology seen in a sarcophagus to enable those without high levels of naquadah in their blood to heal wounds in the field. The end use for such a technology was actually for a new military force that Aset had been planning, but gifting a prototype to her tribespeople served the dual purpose of field testing while ensuring their continued loyalty without the aggression her fellow Goa’uld so enjoyed. Aset, in all her wisdom, would never have imagined the wand would be used on a being who served no benefit to her cause, though.
                                Anyone have any other nitpicks?
                                Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 23 February 2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X