Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Three Episodes Reaction Thread (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly off topic, but now that we are discussing the DHDs and Stargates: What happened to the Beta DHD? Alpha DHD, the one found in Egypt by Nazis before finding the Alpha Gate, is the one that was destroyed in 48 Hours. But in Solitude, there was a DHD with the Beta Gate. Whatever happened to that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
      Slightly off topic, but now that we are discussing the DHDs and Stargates: What happened to the Beta DHD? Alpha DHD, the one found in Egypt by Nazis before finding the Alpha Gate, is the one that was destroyed in 48 Hours. But in Solitude, there was a DHD with the Beta Gate. Whatever happened to that one?
      Apparently it ran out of power:

Originally posted by Frozen
      The one found with the Antarctic Gate died shortly after it was brought back to Area 51. It was used a few times and then just ran out of energy.
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
        Apparently it ran out of power:
        Hmm ... I don't remember this. Was this touched on in an extra-canonical source? To my mind, it was never mentioned in the series.
        sigpic
        The Return of King Arthur
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

I was able to overlook the low budget and the lackluster acting my main problem with this is the writing.

1) powering the gate with a kubelwagon what a joke.
          2) and when Catherine went to get help how the hell was she supposed to steer and change gear with her hands tied together....

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
            Hmm ... I don't remember this. Was this touched on in an extra-canonical source? To my mind, it was never mentioned in the series.
            Right, it was in Frozen (Season 6, Episode 4). One of my least favourite episodes No wonder I forgot its existence.

Comment

Originally posted by BlitzThose View Post
              I was able to overlook the low budget and the lackluster acting my main problem with this is the writing.

1) powering the gate with a kubelwagon what a joke.
              2) and when Catherine went to get help how the hell was she supposed to steer and change gear with her hands tied together....
              1: It's been discussed repeatedly that SG1 did the exact same thing. Hell, it's been powered by moss. And lightning. The gate can use anything for power, and it can store it for later use. You could power the gate with AAA batteries if need be.

2: A proper car would go straight if you let go of the wheel. She just has to shift gear on straight ends.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                1: It's been discussed repeatedly that SG1 did the exact same thing. Hell, it's been powered by moss. And lightning. The gate can use anything for power, and it can store it for later use. You could power the gate with AAA batteries if need be.

2: A proper car would go straight if you let go of the wheel. She just has to shift gear on straight ends.
                well somehow i doubt 30's egypt has proper roads...

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
                  Right, it was in Frozen (Season 6, Episode 4). One of my least favourite episodes No wonder I forgot its existence.
                  Ah, yes! Thank you!
                  sigpic
                  The Return of King Arthur
                  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                  acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Btw continuity mismatch DO happen too from season to season/spin off. Its just that we don't notice because the shows are still running. It just occurred to me that this happen in SG-1's "Torment of Tantalus" and SGA's "38 minutes". In SGA, the scientist Peter Grodin said the gate only transmit matters in whole object and most importantly, any partially demolecularized (like the pilots in the jumper and the front end of the jumper) will not get transmitted until the entire object is fully demolecularized. So how could Ernest be transmitted to Heliopolis when the gate disconnected. Notice carefully that his diving suit has a breathing hose. After Ernest stepped through the gate, there is still the hose coming out of the event horizon, hence considered partial object. When the gate shuts down, the hose is severed and Ernest would still be in the memory buffer (something like Teal'c in "48 hours).

Counterpoint would be that one is a Atlantis gate (newer model) and one is Milky Way gate (older model). Personally I would say that the Atlantis expedition landed in Atlantis for only a few day before "38 minutes" happened - too short a time to discover any new safety protocol on Atlantis gate. Therefore whatever explanation was given was based on knowledge of the Milky Way gate.

My point here is please cut back a bit on the hate for lack of continuity as only 3 episode have aired. Reserve judgement until the end of the series. After all, sometimes the best things in life comes when you least expect it.

Comment

Originally posted by Supergater View Post
                      My point here is please cut back a bit on the hate for lack of continuity as only 3 episode have aired. Reserve judgement until the end of the series. After all, sometimes the best things in life comes when you least expect it.
                      Something a lot of people find it hard to do these days! Have a green.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I've found myself anticipating the next episodes since the last three came out. It is not a high-quality production but after the producers repeatedly saying they will handle the continuity with care, I'm expecting a good time nevertheless.

Comment

I think some of the hate also comes from Origins being over-hyped as the "next big Stargate show" and it under-delivered. At least for me, the hype, the fact that I'm excluded from All-Access, and the nature of the show, created a lot of disappointment in one go. My criticism has since leveled off and have had time to think about it.

But I'm all for new Stargate, that's why I support Stargate Now. Especially since it aims to deliver new productions as sequels and not to reboot Stargate. And hopefully bring back some of the original crew. Right now, I'm still hopeful with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Comment

Supergate : I believe the gate has got an intelligent program, so it makes a difference between objects and living travellers. There was a scene in SG-1 3x06 Point of View as well, where the disappering event horizont cut the the Jaffa weapons in half.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                              I think some of the hate also comes from Origins being over-hyped as the "next big Stargate show" and it under-delivered.
                              Nailed it! It sure was over-hyped compared to what it truly is. But again, can't really blame them (and us) for over-hyping if the goal of this series is to measure our interest to the franchise.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              Supergate : I believe the gate has got an intelligent program, so it makes a difference between objects and living travellers. There was a scene in SG-1 3x06 Point of View as well, where the disappering event horizont cut the the Jaffa weapons in half.
                              We know the ability to differentiate organic matter from inorganic exists (see "Prototype", the galactic forwarding device does this). I like this explanation... At least until we find an example where the gate didn't act this way

Comment

I always believed that the Stargate makes a distinction between simple objects, organic matter, and "containers". The Puddle Jumper is a container that can hold a crew, so is the diving suit. But the cables and hoses are connected to the suit, so I think the gate understood that, since it was losing power, it could cut off once Ernest was through knowing the whole suit passed through. It could have seen the suit as one whole object, ignoring the cables, and sent him through intact. At that point, sending a living person through intact and cutting off inorganic material to do that would be appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X