Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Three Episodes Reaction Thread (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snakeyes View Post
    They lost me when 1 the Nazis open the gate. 2. Catherine witnessed the gate being open. 3. Catherine went through the stargate with a unnamed boyfriend. Was he supposed to be Ernest Littlefield?
    He is named as James Beal - and remember this is 6 years before she was established to be with Ernest.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    I don't. I've seen the symbols for abydos yesterday, twice, and the only ones i can remember is that the first one is taurus and the 6th is Orion. I mean, and "At" obviously but that's been featured dozens of times across many years.
    I think she would at least recognise it looking at the gate. It would suck if the explaination is "Catherine loses the notebook and forgets the symbol"

Does James remind anyone else of a slightly less camp version of Lt George in Blackadder Goes Forth?
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
      SG-1 literally powered the gate with a car battery in 1969. It's been done before, it can be done again.
      AFAIK they powered the gate with the energy produced by several running military vehicles. Not a simple car battery.
      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
        To add, I know the most obvious way to fix what Catherine remembers or mentions later on is some kind of mind wipe, I just don't really like that idea or find it interesting.
        That's my biggest cringe at the minute. There were ways to make this fit tidily into the continuity without resorting to to cheap and lame mind-wipe and I fear that's where we're going with it.

I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be the case though.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

It's so bad.

So, so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
            AFAIK they powered the gate with the energy produced by several running military vehicles. Not a simple car battery.
            They also had a generator from the flood light
            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
              it doesn't matter. The stargate can easily store energy. If it takes 5 seconds to charge with 2 engines, it takes 10 seconds with 1. They could power the thing with AAA batteries if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                it doesn't matter. The stargate can easily store energy. If it takes 5 seconds to charge with 2 engines, it takes 10 seconds with 1. They could power the thing with AAA batteries if need be.
                Remember when they did it with moss that just happened to be growing nearby?
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post

I think she would at least recognise it looking at the gate. It would suck if the explaination is "Catherine loses the notebook and forgets the symbol"
                  Yeah, and at the time this story takes place, she's apparently been looking at/studying the gate with her father for years and then she clearly describes what the last symbol she used to to get the gate open is. It's not like she's never seen the gate or the symbols on them before, then it might be a bit more understandable for her to later on be like "I'm not sure, I don't remember it was just some strange symbol, they all look alike to me."

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                  That's my biggest cringe at the minute. There were ways to make this fit tidily into the continuity without resorting to to cheap and lame mind-wipe and I fear that's where we're going with it.

I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be the case though.
                  I agree. I was (and still kind of am) really hoping that they would find some way to make it fit in nicely with everything else, without resorting to a mind wipe or something similar so that it fits.
                  sigpic

Comment

feel like watching a low budget live play .

Comment

I agree with the others who said that it felt like a fan film but I am going to at least watch the whole series. It's not what we are used to but I think it can get better.

Comment

Arf, that show is not really good, but, since I like the Stargate's universe, I will be watching it to see if in the end it can becomes significant and add something to the story ark.

So far, I'm irritated by the light-heartly-ness of the caracters in supposed serious situation. The type of humor seems to be aimed at kids. But Stargate was never aimed at kids, it was aimed for a general audience of all ages. Apart from the SG-1 Pilot that was originally aimed at a more mature audience because of nudity, Stargate was aimed at everyone.

That pantie fetish nazi... wtf? The cliché humor of Catherine, the way she "solves" problems, everything is so easy going. It really feels like they're aiming at kids audience.

The only think I can compare Stargate Origins to, is Avatar: Legend of Korra.

While Avatar, the last airbender original series was a freaking awesome enjoyable to watch tv show aimed for general audience, not just kids, the sequel Legend of Korra was terrible and was aimed at kids only.

I did watch the first season of Korra, but didn't bother the other two because how bad it felt. So far, if the SGO continues on this path, I won't be watching next seasons(if they even have remaining fans to watch a 2nd season).

Regarding the stroy ark a.k.a. canon, it is still possible that it follows the well established canon, if they get memory wiped and that book is lost. Otherwise, there are major issue with this storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by kobolds View Post
                          feel like watching a low budget live play .
                          It's a low-budget pre-recorded play.

Comment

Haven't seen it yet(will watch the whole thing like a movie as intended when it has fully come out), but I'm just happy that there's new Stargate.
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I still don't understand the purpose of SGO.

1) A small budget project to gauge the fans interest before investing big money.

2) Something to justify the new platform while the 4th series is being planed.

3) Script money from abandoned trilogy used for fan servicing, might as well keep hope alive.

MGM, after 7 years off TV, that's how you choose to bring back YOUR big franchise, with a cheap imitation. Stupid shows get made all the time with big budgets but YOU still need justification to invest in your biggest property. Unbelievable.

You do realize Star Trek made a comeback on tv, yes? It wasn't perfect but we can see they at least put a lot of effort to make it look good. They hired a few recognizable actors that can actually act. The story was all over the place but it wasn't bad. Even Star Wars is coming to "tv". What are you waiting for? The good old days of tv/dvd to come back?

Commit or sell.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                                I still don't understand the purpose of SGO.

1) A small budget project to gauge the fans interest before investing big money.
                                This is the purpose.

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                                You do realize Star Trek made a comeback on tv, yes?
                                Star Trek has had 3 commercially successfull, big-screen multi-million dollar movies in the past decade. Stargate's been dead for at least 7 years. At least 10 if you count from Sg1's end. A trek series is a financial no-brainer.

MGM is still recovering from a bankrupcy. I'm sure it's financial department won't commit ~50 million to a series that may have no audience left (according to Mallozzi, the main audience for SG1 was in the 40-50 age region. By now, that's 50-60.) Hence, they're gauging the reaction. SGO doesn't need an overwhelming response, since it doesn't have an overwhelming budget.

Comment

Working...
                                X