Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Three Episodes Reaction Thread (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with people like Kamin. The Stargate Origins three episodes so far, are a mess. There are massive continuity problems, from the requirements to using the energy required to active the gate, to the overall composition and acting which seem too campy and artificial. Remember how much energy was required to active the gates, it required a DHD and lots of levels of energy! Now you can you use a car battery. Ridiculous! The DHD is central to gate access.

As for the acting, well, other than for a few it was quite non-genuine. I found Gall too unbelievable. But that's fine, MGM is going low budget on this. You have to accept what there is.

But the real concern, is the Stargate canon. There are too many cheap-out reproductions in the Origins episodes so far, that are negatively changing the Stargate canon. How can we go from requiring a DHD and large amounts of energy to using a 1930's car battery and no computer? How can we go from a Catherine Langford losing her fiance in 1945, and stating that she was never allowed to be part of the Stargate Project, her finace Ernest Littlefield and her father were. You can view the episode entitled, The Torment of Tantalus, and see for your self that Catherine, was not involved, she said so.

This Stargate Origins is doing more harm than good. Acting is too unbelievable and the Stargate plot is turning everything on its head to what was in previous Stargate sagas. The inconsistency and contradictory storyline to the rest of the Stargate franchise, is really sad to see.

We have all seen what a mess Star Wars is turning into, well now, Stargate is also being deconstructed and re-imagined into an incongruous mess. Its all fine, for those people who've not seen the past Stargate works, but those of us who've seen it all, will find this new Stargate Origins a slap in the face to everything they've experienced and enjoyed with Stargate up till now. The show writer's obviously have not done their homework, and it is clear that there is no one doing Origins that has full knowledge of the Stargate canon. So if MGM can cheap-out like this, why on Earth should the fan base, that is leading the charge for a return of Stargate, should even bother with this crippled and self conflicting Stargate Origins?

I fear, with the decimation of canons in Star Wars, Star Trek and Aliens and so on, that Stargate too is being hijacked by a new breed of non science fiction types, that are only interested in making dollars at whatever expense it is to the Stargate legacy and its support base.

I hate saying this, I really do, but Stargate Origins is more about Stargate Suicide than a new beginning. This only exemplifies how bad things are really at MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pragmatism View Post
      I have to agree with people like Kamin. The Stargate Origins three episodes so far, are a mess. There are massive continuity problems, from the requirements to using the energy required to active the gate, to the overall composition and acting which seem too campy and artificial. Remember how much energy was required to active the gates, it required a DHD and lots of levels of energy! Now you can you use a car battery. Ridiculous! The DHD is central to gate access.

As for the acting, well, other than for a few it was quite non-genuine. I found Gall too unbelievable. But that's fine, MGM is going low budget on this. You have to accept what there is.

But the real concern, is the Stargate canon. There are too many cheap-out reproductions in the Origins episodes so far, that are negatively changing the Stargate canon. How can we go from requiring a DHD and large amounts of energy to using a 1930's car battery and no computer? How can we go from a Catherine Langford losing her fiance in 1945, and stating that she was never allowed to be part of the Stargate Project, her finace Ernest Littlefield and her father were. You can view the episode entitled, The Torment of Tantalus, and see for your self that Catherine, was not involved, she said so.

This Stargate Origins is doing more harm than good. Acting is too unbelievable and the Stargate plot is turning everything on its head to what was in previous Stargate sagas. The inconsistency and contradictory storyline to the rest of the Stargate franchise, is really sad to see.

We have all seen what a mess Star Wars is turning into, well now, Stargate is also being deconstructed and re-imagined into an incongruous mess. Its all fine, for those people who've not seen the past Stargate works, but those of us who've seen it all, will find this new Stargate Origins a slap in the face to everything they've experienced and enjoyed with Stargate up till now. The show writer's obviously have not done their homework, and it is clear that there is no one doing Origins that has full knowledge of the Stargate canon. So if MGM can cheap-out like this, why on Earth should the fan base, that is leading the charge for a return of Stargate, should even bother with this crippled and self conflicting Stargate Origins?

I fear, with the decimation of canons in Star Wars, Star Trek and Aliens and so on, that Stargate too is being hijacked by a new breed of non science fiction types, that are only interested in making dollars at whatever expense it is to the Stargate legacy and its support base.

I hate saying this, I really do, but Stargate Origins is more about Stargate Suicide than a new beginning. This only exemplifies how bad things are really at MGM.
      It's been said 1000 times, but SG1 powered the gate with a car battery in "1969"
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I can overlook the low budget sets and effects, but I've seen 5 year olds with legos act better and write better, as well. Better to let Stargate die.

Comment

Originally posted by h4mx0r View Post
          Fair point, though still, the Chief Occultist only brings 3 guys? Not fifty? Maybe at least ten? You'd think that a guy with an important sounding title would get a little bit more
          Yea you’d think they would at least bring enough to explore brand new worlds and engage a known enemy like the Jaffa, Goa’uld, replicators, wraith etc... like the SG teams did! Wait...they only ever had 4 people on those teams for 10 seasons of SG1 and 5 of SGA. And half of those were archeologists and scientists. That always perplexed me but I looked passed it to enjoy the show. Let’s not harp on things like this because there is not rational, in canon, explanation. It’s a production decision on how to keep cost low and not overwhelm the viewer with dozens of characters that don’t matter.

Comment

Originally posted by JRR View Post
            I can overlook the low budget sets and effects, but I've seen 5 year olds with legos act better and write better, as well. Better to let Stargate die.
            Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

I am sure the fans will remake some episodes with the correct gate effects and sounds. We are a creative fandom.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                I am sure the fans will remake some episodes with the correct gate effects and sounds. We are a creative fandom.
                A "SGO Remastered" series

Comment

Originally posted by Supergater View Post
                  [...] In SGA, the scientist Peter Grodin said the gate only transmit matters in whole object and most importantly, any partially demolecularized (like the pilots in the jumper and the front end of the jumper) will not get transmitted until the entire object is fully demolecularized. So how could Ernest be transmitted to Heliopolis when the gate disconnected. Notice carefully that his diving suit has a breathing hose. After Ernest stepped through the gate, there is still the hose coming out of the event horizon, hence considered partial object. When the gate shuts down, the hose is severed and Ernest would still be in the memory buffer (something like Teal'c in "48 hours).
                  I'm also reminded here of the Goa'ulded Kawalsky at the end of "The Enemy Within." His head was sliced open because Teal'c held it in the event horizon when the gate shut down.

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di..._display_media

In that case it's a person, not an object. But it's also a case when the S.G.C. forced a manual shutdown of the wormhole. It's likely that the Stargate itself would have stayed open otherwise, maybe even past the 38-minute window (cf. Eli's arm in "Air, Part 3" -- though I think that was more about Destiny's clock than the 38-minute window).
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I can honestly get over the continuity issues, and would rather wait until I see the whole thing before I decide.

The overall cheapness and shoddiness of the production is what I find to be the main head-scratcher. MGM potentially have the #3 Sci-Fi franchise (Behind Star Wars and Star Trek) with Stargate, but in order to relaunch it they give us a cheap web-series. It's very disappointing. Would love for it to succeed, but I have to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post
                      I can honestly get over the continuity issues, and would rather wait until I see the whole thing before I decide.
                      Like you, I can forgive -some- continuity errors, but there are some that simply do not work at all. We suspend disbelief to invest in these characters and stories, but to be asked to do it in a glaring way within an existing disbelief?
                      It defies belief
                      The overall cheapness and shoddiness of the production is what I find to be the main head-scratcher. MGM potentially have the #3 Sci-Fi franchise (Behind Star Wars and Star Trek) with Stargate, but in order to relaunch it they give us a cheap web-series. It's very disappointing. Would love for it to succeed, but I have to be honest.
                      Given the sheer fan backlash (warranted or not) against SW Ep 8, I would think MGM would, SHOULD be looking at that market with an eye of opportunity, not tentativeness. TNG series 1 was, sorta bad, but trek fans forgave it and it spawned much more, better trek. If Paramount tried the same approach, there would not be DS9, Voyager, Enterprise or Discovery. Dr Who would still sit in the dustbin of history.
                      Both of these properties now make money, and if that's what MGM wants...........

The market is saturated with cheap crap trying to jump on the geek wave, SGO just seems like a limited, half arsed attempt to do something with the property while riding that wave, rather than being a real attempt at reviving Stargate.
                      Last edited by Gatefan1976; 25 February 2018, 09:29 PM.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Probably I said I wouldn't mind the cheap look or the gate related problems, if the story would be okay. But the actors act really weird and the jokes are forced too much. This whole Origins story could have been presented with a more serious tone. SG is not a sitcom. But I should not even call it as sitcom, because this is rarther annoying then funny.

Do you remember the parody of "younger and edgier" version of SG-1 in 200? I belive that is what they have just made in Origins. Very young cast with a completly parodistic behave like they are on drugs or something.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_C_PefoE4o

But in spite of these I still found a few nice scenes there and it has definately reopened the fanboy in my heart to wish for more Stargate. So if that was the plan it has still worked, but SG:O won't be that series what I will watch again and again. Hopefully we needed this necessary bad to get a new "real" spinoff after years of waiting.
                        Last edited by Platschu; 26 February 2018, 03:55 AM.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

After all the hype, this was a big disappointment. It is only a low budget, bad acting, insult to all the fans and the history of the franchise. After SG1, SGA and SGU this is what they give us?

Comment

This show should be retitled the show that shall not be named.

Just watched episode 4.
                            Since when do jaffa growl while fighting and what's with the sickle at the end of a staff weapon?

Comment

Originally posted by Snakeyes View Post
                              This show should be retitled the show that shall not be named.

Just watched episode 4.
                              Since when do jaffa growl while fighting and what's with the sickle at the end of a staff weapon?
                              She wasn't Jaffa, she was a minor Goa'uld called Serqet, Egyptian scorpion goddess. Sickle modification is a blade designed t resemble scorpion tail.

Comment

Stargate : Worlds also wanted to introduce different staff weapons :

http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w..._Radiation.jpg
                                http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...nic.jpg&page=6
                                http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...pon-plasma.png

And even other Jaffa Guards:
                                https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1428957903
                                https://pre00.deviantart.net/2958/th...yperdivine.jpg
                                http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...al_%281%29.jpg
                                http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...le=FIL4314.JPG
                                http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...231.JPG&page=3
                                http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...Naga_Guard.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X