Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Three Episodes Reaction Thread (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Considering a major war is about to start, i seriously doubt that the Nazi high command would give him anything, really. The implications are that this occultist guy isn't even believed in the first place, and he's basically tasked to steal an artifact from the middle of nowhere that nobody cares about. While he does have an important sounding title, it doesn't really mean anything.

I checked the Stargate Movie, and the adress is indeed abydos. Also note that the book shows the names of the constellations. This practically guarantees that the booklet will be lost. Considering she's running towards Abydos, i wouldn't be surprised at all if it gets lost. Catherine is too busy with the dialling since she doesn't seem to realize they are, in fact, constellations (she does say "the one that looks like a Y" and not "Taurus"). Though to be fair, the handwriting is hard to read.

Keep in mind that the symbols on the Gate were known, and that they related to the cartouche was known. The 7th symbol was unknown, because it was depicted rather differently and it was below the address in a way that didn't look like it belonged to it. Like i said, they could've brute forced it but it seems the military didn't want to move forward until they knew what they were dealing with. By linking them to constellations, and by proper translation, Daniel provided essential context.

Abydos Adress in the movie: https://youtu.be/TF3zUOvXUYQ?t=22m17s
    Origins: (s01E03 7 minutes in)

In case you want to see the cartouche, it's at 18:17. "At" looks nothing like the proper "At", so it's not terribly surprising that they didn't instantly see the connection.

It's far more canonically fitting than many make it out to be. They didn't forget the icing effect, the gate effects, the constellations and their proper order, the manual dialling. Hell, they even included the little extra burst of electricity that makes the chevrons lock! The only thing standing in the way of canon so far, is that booklet.
    I agree. So far this seems to provide the most comprehensive explanation to the many lack-of-continuity comments. The book is the only most complete to-date "user manual" of the Stargate beside Dr Brucke himself (who will most likely be dead before any knowledge is imparted). Everyone else knows next to nothing, i.e. Catherine doesn't know AT is point of origin, it is always 7 symbols not 4,5,6 symbols or gate can dial more than 1 address. Therefore the key to continuity would be the lost of the book.

On top of that, in season 2 of "1969", SG-1 manage to dial the gate with military car battery. As Capt. Carter explained, once a minimum power is channeled into the gate, the inner rings are unlocked for manual dialing. Once wormhole is established, any additional power requirements will automatically be compensated be the receiving DHD, as said by the Tok'ra in season 5 "48 hours". Therefore, it is perfectly possible for the Nazis to dial using a single military car battery. Abydos DHD would provide the needed power once connected.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
      It's so bad.
      So, so bad.
      True. It feels like a student project that got greenlit by mistake. Origins is the Stargate answer to ST: Discovery, both are sub-par fanfictions.

Comment

This is the purpose.

Star Trek has had 3 commercially successfull, big-screen multi-million dollar movies in the past decade. Stargate's been dead for at least 7 years. At least 10 if you count from Sg1's end. A trek series is a financial no-brainer.

MGM is still recovering from a bankrupcy. I'm sure it's financial department won't commit ~50 million to a series that may have no audience left (according to Mallozzi, the main audience for SG1 was in the 40-50 age region. By now, that's 50-60.) Hence, they're gauging the reaction. SGO doesn't need an overwhelming response, since it doesn't have an overwhelming budget.
        Exactly! Thank you! MGM is totally willing to commit to a full blown series. Stargate Command and SGO is their way of making sure their commitment to a 20 year old series that's been off the air for 7 is not going to completely back fire.

Film and television is a business just like anything else. There are risks and gains, but MGM wants to make sure this venture is good for them as well as the fans.
        sigpic
        The Return of King Arthur
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
        acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Okay I have watched the first three episodes :

Pros:
          - stargate again
          - good tie-in with the established mythology
          - the wormhole effects similar to the Stargate movie

Cons:
          - terrible acting only Catherine and Prof. Langford are good
          - terrible jokes
          - sexual assults and offers
          - not the usual dialing, kawoosh and wormhole sound effects
          - all chevrons lock glyps while it should be only the top

So honestly the story is enjoyable so far. It is much better what I expected. But the jokes are bad and it ruins the atmosphere of the movie. Once they talk about serious things then next second they joke about something. Like the writer didn't know if they want to make it as a comedy or drama.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It’s obviously not the big budget production that we’re all used too but I’m going to continue to watch and support the franchise with hopes of more to come.

Comment

Originally posted by GuizmoPhil View Post
              Arf, that show is not really good, but, since I like the Stargate's universe, I will be watching it to see if in the end it can becomes significant and add something to the story ark.

So far, I'm irritated by the light-heartly-ness of the caracters in supposed serious situation. The type of humor seems to be aimed at kids. But Stargate was never aimed at kids, it was aimed for a general audience of all ages. Apart from the SG-1 Pilot that was originally aimed at a more mature audience because of nudity, Stargate was aimed at everyone.

That pantie fetish nazi... wtf? The cliché humor of Catherine, the way she "solves" problems, everything is so easy going. It really feels like they're aiming at kids audience.

The only think I can compare Stargate Origins to, is Avatar: Legend of Korra.

While Avatar, the last airbender original series was a freaking awesome enjoyable to watch tv show aimed for general audience, not just kids, the sequel Legend of Korra was terrible and was aimed at kids only.

I did watch the first season of Korra, but didn't bother the other two because how bad it felt. So far, if the SGO continues on this path, I won't be watching next seasons(if they even have remaining fans to watch a 2nd season).

Regarding the stroy ark a.k.a. canon, it is still possible that it follows the well established canon, if they get memory wiped and that book is lost. Otherwise, there are major issue with this storyline.

It may be a reaction to what people were saying about SGU. People would always argue that SGU lacked humor and was "emo" () and they may be going out of their way to showcase a more comical tone to appease those fans.

Comment

Originally posted by GuizmoPhil View Post
                So far, I'm irritated by the light-heartly-ness of the caracters in supposed serious situation. The type of humor seems to be aimed at kids. But Stargate was never aimed at kids, it was aimed for a general audience of all ages.
                That's the big problem with the young writers these days, they think that everything has to sound like if it was written by Joss Whedon.

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                I still don't understand the purpose of SGO.
                It's Star Trek Discovery all over again. Nostalgia bait and fanfiction-tier scripts written by people who don't give a damn about the history of the franchise.

Comment

I'm a long time Stargate fan and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents:

The choice of involving the Nazi Germany angle upsets me due to total lack of creativity. It seems like an easy plot device to throw in Nazi occultists trying to procure technology for the 'fuhrer' (notice how they didn't say the name, they thought no need, yet didn't mind injecting Nazi Germany). I'm sorry, but it's quite insulting and taints credibility of the writers, who no doubt believe they are writing great material. Raiders of the Lost Ark was a clear influence, right down to the Nazi occultists who just happen to be in Egypt letting the locals dig up the relics, just to swoop in and steal the prize and to create the key dramatic scenes which we end up remember the most.

It all just felt so contrived and clearly written by a younger generation of writers who really don't respect the franchise and/or science fiction writing in general. Let's face it, it's just another gig for these writers who will simply move on to another project, and write the same irreverent dialog. I just find there is too much unnecessary 'emo' dialog that does not advance the plot. The push seems to be to create 'drama' by any means necessary, usually tugging at the family heart-strings, knowing that audiences respond best to the dramatic formula.

I understand the argument 'well at least we're getting more Stargate', however I never found that to be a good reason just to watch any of the reboots. I'd say, 'at least there's an actual Stargate prop in the first episode', and that is about as much praise as I would extend at this point. I found the acting very typical of television dramas. There were not any notable cinematic moments that would stand out to memory. Even the CG of the Stargate 'splash' and shimmer of the event horizon was unimpressive, compared to the variety of equivalent event horizon 'splashes' done throughout the 12+ years of SG1 and SGA. That's about the gist of what bothers me. I'll still watch Origins, primarily because of the 10 min run time, which is probably the biggest advantage of SGO's online format.
                  Last edited by Cadmius; 19 February 2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadmius View Post
                    The choice of involving the Nazi Germany angle upsets me due to total lack of creativity.
                    This is actually consistent with canon. the Germans had access to the DHD. With the Gate being discovered in the 20's and Tornment taking place in the 60's i think, there's basically only a Nazi Germany era left to explore. And if anyone would've figured out how the gate worked before the US in the 90's, well, it's the germans.

Originally posted by Cadmius View Post
                    it seems like an easy plot device to throw in Nazi occultists trying to procure technology for the 'fuhrer'
                    The nazi's were desperate to strengthen their legitimacy. Before and during WWII they stole massive amounts of art to prove their aryan superiority. If there's one nation in that era obsessed with ancient relics, it would be them. American in the Cold War spent exorbitant amounts of money on anything that seemed even remotely useful to the war, but the Gate wasn't in the US by then.

So as far as choice of enemies goes... well it works.

Comment

This is actually consistent with canon. the Germans had access to the DHD. With the Gate being discovered in the 20's and Tornment taking place in the 60's i think, there's basically only a Nazi Germany era left to explore. And if anyone would've figured out how the gate worked before the US in the 90's, well, it's the germans.

The nazi's were desperate to strengthen their legitimacy. Before and during WWII they stole massive amounts of art to prove their aryan superiority. If there's one nation in that era obsessed with ancient relics, it would be them. American in the Cold War spent exorbitant amounts of money on anything that seemed even remotely useful to the war, but the Gate wasn't in the US by then.

So as far as choice of enemies goes... well it works.
                      The flashbacks of Torment of Tantalus take place in 1944/45 (at least the accidental activation occurred in 1945, some of the other flashbacks could have occurred slightly earlier). It seems illogical, since the whole point of taking the gate to America in 1939 was to prevent it from falling into Nazi hands, not to rescue it from them (as the RPG originally explained before Continuum explained it in more detail).

Yes, the Nazis did have the DHD, and they had the canopic jar with Sekhmet (as explained in "Resurrection"), but they technically didn't have access to the Stargate, because it was taken to America before they could get their hands on it. That is my very problem with Origins, that now it appears that the Nazis did use the gate, which feels illogical to what was explained. The worst thing is, is that the Nazis figured out how the gate worked without having access to it. They just looked at the DHD (which wouldn't work without being connected to a gate) and analyzed as much as they could. When they did get access to the gate in Origins, they managed to activate it in one try, whereas it took Langford 6 years after arriving in America to accidentally activate it, and Catherine at least two years in the 90s until she hires Daniel who finds out the needed seven symbols instead of the six they had been trying all those years.

Comment

I don't remember, what happened with the DHD on Earth? Was it destroyed during the World War 2 in Berlin?
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                          I don't remember, what happened with the DHD on Earth? Was it destroyed during the World War 2 in Berlin?
                          The Russians gained possession of the DHD, which was destroyed when the SGC used it to save Tealc in "48 Hours"
                          sigpic
                          The Return of King Arthur
                          Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                          acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread. It is wonderful to see more SG but it is painfully obvious there was a serious lack of effort. If anything I would say the SG fan base is very detailed oriented and likes to have strong cohesion between story lines. My biggest issues were:

1. Quite a bit of bad acting
                            2. Single car battery to activate gate (yes, I know they did it with a series of batteries and a generator in the past)
                            3. Terrible CG and sound of the worm hole blasting from the gate.
                            4. Script for first three episodes was lack luster.
                            5. Missing the wow factor with hieroglyphs or similar discoveries.
                            6. The Nazi soldiers presented themselves in a very rape-ish (toward Catherine) and cross dressing way
                            7. The far fetched strength they give Catherine. I am very much for women being able to defend themselves but seemed a bit over the top fake. (The hand tied shove to the Nazi Soldier whose head hits the steering wheel and is knocked out is an example. Just saying she is very strong and capable in fighting for not having military or other experience.) I think Samantha Carter wouldn't have done the cheesy moves that over exaggerate and seemingly diminish the believably of women being able to defend themselves. In S01 E04 "Emancipation" this is a well made example of a woman defending herself. Origins is portraying Catherine and a Spoofy Indiana Jones style. In my humble opinion.
                            8. The over all vibe is very much Fan Fiction... when it was made by the actual studio.
                            9. The chevrons dont glow or lock in correct placement. The Soldier would had to have climbed all over the gate and set each chevron.
                            10. The 10 minute shorts are a killer tease for such a die hard fan base.
                            11. Catherine's boyfriend James does a terrible job...

I am sure I could ramble off a few more if I sat and tried... but it is the small things that make it just feel right. Like an SG show should feel.

Lastly, I would like to say that I hate to leave this without mentioning that I am still very excited to have some new StarGate to enjoy. I have seen every episode of every iteration and love it all... Universe could have been a tad better, but I still loved it. lol

I think they need to invest real time, money and resources and give a true attempt or sell the franchise.

Oh, and would it be an amazing surprise if the rest of Origins is up to par but I dont really have my hopes up. I will still be watching and hope the creators take a lot of this advice from the fans and use it.

Comment

The Antarctic one ran out of power, didn't it? I can't really remember now I'm thinking about it.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                                The Antarctic one ran out of power, didn't it? I can't really remember now I'm thinking about it.
                                Yep, it ran out of power after the rogue NID used it to steal the touchstone (in "Touchstone") and then escaped through the Beta gate. I don't remember exactly in which episode they mention that it ran out of power though, but I do know Carter mentioned this.

Comment

Working...
                                X