Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Three Episodes Reaction Thread (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am undecided. There’s potential for sure, but to call it low-budget would be an understatement—which is forgivable if the story is engaging, but we’re not far enough along for me feel that way about it.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
      I have to say I didn't really like it. It looked like it was very low budget, and the dialogue was really bad in my opinion. I feel like there was a sense or feeling of fun to it that was something to like, that probably can overcome all of that.

But what really bothers me is the complete lack of faithfulness to established continuity. Opening the Stargate and knowing the seventh symbol in the 30s completely destroys what's been established in both the movie and show.

Another issue I have is that it seems like it's trying to be a nostalgia kind of thing. But I don't know that many Stargate fans at this point have nostalgia for the movie, and parts of this play as this loving tribute to the original movie. I love the movie, but like most Stargate fans, it's the shows that made me a fan. So all that is kind of weird.

I don't know. Like I said, there's a fun feeling to it that I think I could come to enjoy, but there's a lot bothering me too. I've be interested in hearing more opinions and thoughts on this.
      I don't mind the low budget. I can understand not wanting to throw too much money behind something when your really testing the waters. You can tell a good story with a great cast and a low budget with a few dinky effects thrown in. Although I am not really impressed so far with the cast. Or maybe its the way they are used. Something really bothers me about Catherine's character. I need to review a couple episodes of the SG-1 shows she was in to verify my feelings.

But the it is the lack of continuity that really bothers me. As soon the Stargate opened, I was taken out of the story because we all know what happened in the TV show ( and the movie for that matter). The show has an established canon which they could have worked with. So what explanation does that leave them with? Done to death AU just to tell some new adventures?

Comment

I have watched all 3 episodes and rewatched them a second time to reach my conclusion. While most of the acting was fantastic... I will now have to grab a hammer to hit myself in the head repeatedly in the vain hope of removing all previous knowledge of stargate from my brain to reconcile the blatant disregard of previously established canon/lore by devlin/emerich, wright/cooper/glassner.

Lets look at the one major blow that destroys stargate canon. The activation of the gate and the travel of all parties involved, including langford, would eliminate Jacksons character from the franchise. In Origins, catherine now knows 7 symbols are needed to make a connection and she knows what the 7th symbol is as well as what a DHD is. So no need to go find danny boy at his lecture. No Jackson means no Goa'uld address list from the adjacent structure near the Abydos landing platform.

Time for a little speculation. IF Origins plans to include Ernest Littlefields travel to the planet by random gate activation as seen in the episode "Torment of Tantalus" then catherine would know that the gate goes to more than one planet. Lets look at the logical progression from there.

1. The gate address on the cartouche would be to a 3rd planet verifying the multiple destination dynamic.

2. More security would be at the gate or completely sealed up to prevent inbound travel since they know the gate goes to more locations indicating there could be inbound travelers from any number of other planets especially after killing Ra and presumably pissing off Aset/Isis in the late 30's early 40's. This would make Apophis' arrival more problematic or impossible in turn changing everything that occurred in episode 1 of Stargate SG-1.

The whole thing is a continuity wreck plain and simple.

I can't speak for everyone but this message is for the show runners. Thank you for ruining Stargate for me with your interpretation as to how the story goes with Langford. If in the end you plan to do a memory wipe of all involved to resolve any continuity problems between the franchises then its you that needs the hammer to the head. Everything you would have done during the run of Origins will be for not and wouldn't advance the deep history of Stargate because nobody would remember anything. If you continue to send people through the gate then knowledge of gate travel, and advanced technologies would be everywhere in 30's/40's destroying the established Stargate canon. Had you stated from the start that Origins takes place in another universe such as the new star trek franchise has done then I could accept and even welcome your premise. Just like your website with all its problems, you half assed it. I am beginning to wonder if the show runners sit in a padded room wearing helmets, drooling, and finger painting with their own poop.

Comment

This is a general problem with prequels. You either are handcuffed by established continuity and therefore can't do anything new, or you just say heck with it and do whatever you want with no regard for what came before/comes next. Or some combination thereof. The only prequel I've ever seen that manages to avoid this is Better Call Saul. Everything else, from Star Wars to Star Trek, to whatever else falls into that trap.

As for this series ending with mind wipes or time travel shenanigans, that's a cop out of all cop outs. And there's an awful lot of people on two planets that would need to be mind wiped. So that seems super contrived, imo.

Perfecto!

Comment

Definitely going to be giving it a whole watch and going in with as much of an open mind as I can. I'm enjoying it but middling so. I echo the sentiments that the low budget really makes it look like what could be a really impressive fan-film. I was hoping they'd fit into the canon with a bit more finesse but I'm not worried it'll be something of a hand-wavey memory wipe thing so I'm not looking forward to that.

Definitely happy we've got new Stargate though. And I will continue to watch in the hopes that it picks up and slots in tidily. I really like Gall and I will always love me some Trinneer. I'm also digging the more direct callbacks to the movie, rather than the show but I know that'll wind more people up than who will enjoy it.

There's no denying this is a compromise. No feature length movies DD and RE and no new show. And it feels like the cheaper compromise it is. Just hoping the whole effort, when all put together, makes up for that.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
              This is a general problem with prequels. You either are handcuffed by established continuity and therefore can't do anything new, or you just say heck with it and do whatever you want with no regard for what came before/comes next. Or some combination thereof. The only prequel I've ever seen that manages to avoid this is Better Call Saul. Everything else, from Star Wars to Star Trek, to whatever else falls into that trap.

As for this series ending with mind wipes or time travel shenanigans, that's a cop out of all cop outs. And there's an awful lot of people on two planets that would need to be mind wiped. So that seems super contrived, imo.
              Not that many, most of the Germans back in Germany who knows about the stargate will be disposed of by WW2 with the gate out of their reach in the US. The Germans will probably be kill by the Goa'uld. Leaving only Langford, that Egyptian fella and her boyfriend needing their minds wiped.

Comment

Eh... It was kinda fun I guess - though the dialogue felt a bit wooden. I am glad they are going back to lighthearteness, though maybe taking it too far and not striking the nice balance SG1 had

Everyone's losing their minds about the gate activating... chill guys, the writers have said they weren't going to break established canon, and I think they would have noticed something like this. Let's see what they do to explain this, I'm personally expecting Mitchell from the end of Continuum to be somehow in involved.
                Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Definitely a level lower than the serialized Stargate series but I get it that its because of lower budget. As of 3 episodes the storylines interesting and still attention grabbing albeit a little slow. I guess that why everyone should wait until ALL episodes are out first to get the actual feel of the whole movie (10 episode, 10 minutes = 1hour 40 min movie). Try watching an Indiana Jones movie for 30 minute then come back the next day for the rest and see if you feel if the story loses momentum.

As for lack of continuity, I feel I must point that these 3 episode ONLY establishes that Catherine and dad know it is a STAR-GATE - gateway to another place. And that it needs 7 symbols to open the gate. It is NEVER indicated that Catherine already has the Point Of Origin symbol. She only know THESE 7 symbol opens A(one) gate activation. She DOESN'T know that last symbol WAS the point of origin until Dr Jackson said it was. All she did was read the nazi Dr Brucke's notebook....she doesn't know ANYTHING yet. Therefore one (rather important) continuity point that should be establish on the last episode is the lost of said notebook, then we are back to the Stargate movie continuity. This also fits into Torment of Tantalus that they were trying to replicate what happen here in SGO and when they say they didn't know what the Stargate is for, (speculation here) Catherine and dad chose to keep quiet certain (not all) details of what they truly know. (The why would be established in the next 7 episode, dependent on what's the story that occur offworld).

Comment

Oof... This... was not that good.

Some of the scenes felt like I was watching a high school theater production. Low budget, I get it, but man...

Why would the Nazi's chief occultist only bring like 3 soldiers and a camerawoman to such an important find?

I assume that the notebook or this gate will be destroyed at some point, otherwise I don't see why Catherine wouldn't have just dialed this address again 60 years later. There are still seven episodes, so we'll just see what they do for continuity.

I don't mind trying to be lighthearted, but the characters were acting really over-the-top comical, which didn't really seem to fit the seriousness of the situation.

I hope for the best, because I want the Stargate franchise to gain traction again... but I don't know if this is gonna do it.

Comment

Originally posted by h4mx0r View Post
                      Why would the Nazi's chief occultist only bring like 3 soldiers and a camerawoman to such an important find?
                      The Nazi's were fairly obsessed with getting relics and such. But they are at war or about to start one, so it's not like they'd send 500 soldiers to the middle of nowhere to get a metal ring.

I assume that the notebook or this gate will be destroyed at some point, otherwise I don't see why Catherine wouldn't have just dialed this address again 60 years later. There are still seven episodes, so we'll just see what they do for continuity.
                      If they bury the gate, then it won't work again. Meaning they'd have no addresses. Langford seems to think it's a time machine, whereas the Occultist seems to think he's in heaven or some place. The idea that the symbols are an actual address seems unknown at this point.

Comment

Oof... This... was not that good.

Some of the scenes felt like I was watching a high school theater production. Low budget, I get it, but man...

I don't mind trying to be lighthearted, but the characters were acting really over-the-top comical, which didn't really seem to fit the seriousness of the situation.

I hope for the best, because I want the Stargate franchise to gain traction again... but I don't know if this is gonna do it.
                        I'm thinking hes a bit like a nazi daniel jackson in that everyone just thinks hes a crackpot with mad ideas, his first line when they get to adydos does imply Hitler didnt believe him so makes sense they wouldnt give him many people, also you can sneak a few people into egypt, I think the british would notice a larger force

Im not sure what to think, but i came in with very low expectations and it at least exceeds those

Comment

My expectations were pretty low, and Origins mostly fit with what I was anticipating. It definitely has a smaller budget, which is tricky on a Stargate series. There were a few good scenes, particularly Catherine's trip through the gate. I like the old-school adventure vibe of Origins, which does feel closer to the movie and early SG-1. However, I don't want to over sell it either. It's a very light show, and the stakes feel low. This isn't a good sign given that we're talking about such a cool discovery (in theory).

I wrote a long blog post about the first three episodes if you're interested:

http://www.ptsnob.com/2018/02/reopen...e-origins.html

If you check it out, I'd love to hear what you think!

Comment

Wow, that was really bad. I can overlook the budget issues if there is a good story, dialogue, and characters. However, I also can't overlook the blatant canon violations, and silly stuff like a car battery powering the Stargate. Also, I understand there is a small budget. but they could have done some detailing on the Stargate to make it appear as it did on the show.

2/10

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse View Post
                              Wow, that was really bad. I can overlook the budget issues if there is a good story, dialogue, and characters. However, I also can't overlook the blatant canon violations, and silly stuff like a car battery powering the Stargate. Also, I understand there is a small budget. but they could have done some detailing on the Stargate to make it appear as it did on the show.

2/10
                              SG-1 literally powered the gate with a car battery in 1969. It's been done before, it can be done again.
                              sigpic
                              The Return of King Arthur
                              Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                              acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                                SG-1 literally powered the gate with a car battery in 1969. It's been done before, it can be done again.
                                You mean it's been done again so it can be done before? Since SG-1 did that after the Nazi's did ?

Still, there's too much going on for me to be happy about this. The more I see, the more I'm concerned. With all that's happening, how then do neither Catherine nor her father act on it after the gate is brought to America? Some elements, like the Nazi Occultists with the DHD research and everything, still work and I'm fine with that, but how can they instantly figure out how to dial the gate without having access to it, and then when they do they immediately succeed without failing at all?

Catherine also has the notebook. While she doesn't know what the symbols mean (though it's strange the Nazis already knew they were constellations), she does know the combination to Abydos, including that you need 7 symbols with the "pyramid and circle" as the final symbol. Then why did she need Jackson to figure out they need seven symbols, with the pyramid as the last symbol? She clearly says in the film when the sixth symbol is locked that that is as far as they've ever been able to get.

It's also pretty clear they're traveling to Abydos. The design of the gate room is understandable because of budget, but why did no-one ever find references to Aset (the Goa'uld they encounter) and why didn't the Goa'uld ever find out that humans visited Abydos before? Aset is supposedly the "manager" of Abydos while Ra is out there ruling the System Lords. But if anything happened there (either Aset is killed, or she kills the Nazis, followed by Catherine and her father safely returning to Earth), then it's hard to cover it up without anyone ever finding out about it (Goa'uld or SGC alike).

If the Langfords and the others deliberately lied or covered up the truth, then it seems highly irresponsible to let Ernest go through in a diving suit in 1945, followed by the whole Giza Project in the early 90s and Catherine letting Daniel go to Abydos without any kind of knowledge of what to expect. Even then, it's even more implausible that after being reunited with Ernest, she still doesn't tell the truth. Why would she allow dozens of soldiers and civilians, and the entire Earth for that matter, be threatened by the Goa'uld just because she somehow couldn't tell anyone about the threat that she saw herself?

The only explanations I can see is either memory loss, time travel (as in Atlantis "Before I Sleep"), or a dream ending. None of those I feel would justify the whole effort of developing this project or the existing history of Stargate (both in real-life and the fictional universe). While the shows frequently touched upon time travel, it was just part of the conflict in the episodes. Now it just feels like a gimmick and poor excuse to rationalize their decision to write an Indiana Jones-like story and throw in their personal opinions even if they upset canon under the cover of "for the fans" when they clearly enforce their own vision on us.

Comment

Working...
                                X