Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: First Three Episodes Reaction Thread (SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzThose View Post
    I was able to overlook the low budget and the lackluster acting my main problem with this is the writing.

1) powering the gate with a kubelwagon what a joke.
    2) and when Catherine went to get help how the hell was she supposed to steer and change gear with her hands tied together....
    1: It's been discussed repeatedly that SG1 did the exact same thing. Hell, it's been powered by moss. And lightning. The gate can use anything for power, and it can store it for later use. You could power the gate with AAA batteries if need be.

2: A proper car would go straight if you let go of the wheel. She just has to shift gear on straight ends.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    1: It's been discussed repeatedly that SG1 did the exact same thing. Hell, it's been powered by moss. And lightning. The gate can use anything for power, and it can store it for later use. You could power the gate with AAA batteries if need be.

2: A proper car would go straight if you let go of the wheel. She just has to shift gear on straight ends.
    well somehow i doubt 30's egypt has proper roads...

Lieutenant Colonel SamJackShipper93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiristi View Post
    Right, it was in Frozen (Season 6, Episode 4). One of my least favourite episodes No wonder I forgot its existence.
    Ah, yes! Thank you!

The Return of King Arthur
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Btw continuity mismatch DO happen too from season to season/spin off. Its just that we don't notice because the shows are still running. It just occurred to me that this happen in SG-1's "Torment of Tantalus" and SGA's "38 minutes". In SGA, the scientist Peter Grodin said the gate only transmit matters in whole object and most importantly, any partially demolecularized (like the pilots in the jumper and the front end of the jumper) will not get transmitted until the entire object is fully demolecularized. So how could Ernest be transmitted to Heliopolis when the gate disconnected. Notice carefully that his diving suit has a breathing hose. After Ernest stepped through the gate, there is still the hose coming out of the event horizon, hence considered partial object. When the gate shuts down, the hose is severed and Ernest would still be in the memory buffer (something like Teal'c in "48 hours).

Counterpoint would be that one is a Atlantis gate (newer model) and one is Milky Way gate (older model). Personally I would say that the Atlantis expedition landed in Atlantis for only a few day before "38 minutes" happened - too short a time to discover any new safety protocol on Atlantis gate. Therefore whatever explanation was given was based on knowledge of the Milky Way gate.

My point here is please cut back a bit on the hate for lack of continuity as only 3 episode have aired. Reserve judgement until the end of the series. After all, sometimes the best things in life comes when you least expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supergater View Post
    My point here is please cut back a bit on the hate for lack of continuity as only 3 episode have aired. Reserve judgement until the end of the series. After all, sometimes the best things in life comes when you least expect it.
    Something a lot of people find it hard to do these days! Have a green.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

I've found myself anticipating the next episodes since the last three came out. It is not a high-quality production but after the producers repeatedly saying they will handle the continuity with care, I'm expecting a good time nevertheless.

I think some of the hate also comes from Origins being over-hyped as the "next big Stargate show" and it under-delivered. At least for me, the hype, the fact that I'm excluded from All-Access, and the nature of the show, created a lot of disappointment in one go. My criticism has since leveled off and have had time to think about it.

But I'm all for new Stargate, that's why I support Stargate Now. Especially since it aims to deliver new productions as sequels and not to reboot Stargate. And hopefully bring back some of the original crew. Right now, I'm still hopeful with a healthy dose of skepticism.
    Stargatepedia: The Unofficial Repository of Knowledge
    (Under construction, PM if you want to contribute)

The Multiverse - Discord server dedicated to (Tabletop) Roleplaying, primarily Stargate, Star Trek, and a collaborative world.

Supergate : I believe the gate has got an intelligent program, so it makes a difference between objects and living travellers. There was a scene in SG-1 3x06 Point of View as well, where the disappering event horizont cut the the Jaffa weapons in half.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by nivao View Post
    I think some of the hate also comes from Origins being over-hyped as the "next big Stargate show" and it under-delivered.
    Nailed it! It sure was over-hyped compared to what it truly is. But again, can't really blame them (and us) for over-hyping if the goal of this series is to measure our interest to the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Supergate : I believe the gate has got an intelligent program, so it makes a difference between objects and living travellers. There was a scene in SG-1 3x06 Point of View as well, where the disappering event horizont cut the the Jaffa weapons in half.
    We know the ability to differentiate organic matter from inorganic exists (see "Prototype", the galactic forwarding device does this). I like this explanation... At least until we find an example where the gate didn't act this way

I always believed that the Stargate makes a distinction between simple objects, organic matter, and "containers". The Puddle Jumper is a container that can hold a crew, so is the diving suit. But the cables and hoses are connected to the suit, so I think the gate understood that, since it was losing power, it could cut off once Ernest was through knowing the whole suit passed through. It could have seen the suit as one whole object, ignoring the cables, and sent him through intact. At that point, sending a living person through intact and cutting off inorganic material to do that would be appropriate.
    Stargatepedia: The Unofficial Repository of Knowledge
    (Under construction, PM if you want to contribute)

The Multiverse - Discord server dedicated to (Tabletop) Roleplaying, primarily Stargate, Star Trek, and a collaborative world.

Probie

I have to agree with people like Kamin. The Stargate Origins three episodes so far, are a mess. There are massive continuity problems, from the requirements to using the energy required to active the gate, to the overall composition and acting which seem too campy and artificial. Remember how much energy was required to active the gates, it required a DHD and lots of levels of energy! Now you can you use a car battery. Ridiculous! The DHD is central to gate access.

As for the acting, well, other than for a few it was quite non-genuine. I found Gall too unbelievable. But that's fine, MGM is going low budget on this. You have to accept what there is.

But the real concern, is the Stargate canon. There are too many cheap-out reproductions in the Origins episodes so far, that are negatively changing the Stargate canon. How can we go from requiring a DHD and large amounts of energy to using a 1930's car battery and no computer? How can we go from a Catherine Langford losing her fiance in 1945, and stating that she was never allowed to be part of the Stargate Project, her finace Ernest Littlefield and her father were. You can view the episode entitled, The Torment of Tantalus, and see for your self that Catherine, was not involved, she said so.

This Stargate Origins is doing more harm than good. Acting is too unbelievable and the Stargate plot is turning everything on its head to what was in previous Stargate sagas. The inconsistency and contradictory storyline to the rest of the Stargate franchise, is really sad to see.

We have all seen what a mess Star Wars is turning into, well now, Stargate is also being deconstructed and re-imagined into an incongruous mess. Its all fine, for those people who've not seen the past Stargate works, but those of us who've seen it all, will find this new Stargate Origins a slap in the face to everything they've experienced and enjoyed with Stargate up till now. The show writer's obviously have not done their homework, and it is clear that there is no one doing Origins that has full knowledge of the Stargate canon. So if MGM can cheap-out like this, why on Earth should the fan base, that is leading the charge for a return of Stargate, should even bother with this crippled and self conflicting Stargate Origins?

I fear, with the decimation of canons in Star Wars, Star Trek and Aliens and so on, that Stargate too is being hijacked by a new breed of non science fiction types, that are only interested in making dollars at whatever expense it is to the Stargate legacy and its support base.

I hate saying this, I really do, but Stargate Origins is more about Stargate Suicide than a new beginning. This only exemplifies how bad things are really at MGM.

Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar
    AU where Extinction and Revolution were released

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatism View Post
    I have to agree with people like Kamin. The Stargate Origins three episodes so far, are a mess. There are massive continuity problems, from the requirements to using the energy required to active the gate, to the overall composition and acting which seem too campy and artificial. Remember how much energy was required to active the gates, it required a DHD and lots of levels of energy! Now you can you use a car battery. Ridiculous! The DHD is central to gate access.

As for the acting, well, other than for a few it was quite non-genuine. I found Gall too unbelievable. But that's fine, MGM is going low budget on this. You have to accept what there is.

But the real concern, is the Stargate canon. There are too many cheap-out reproductions in the Origins episodes so far, that are negatively changing the Stargate canon. How can we go from requiring a DHD and large amounts of energy to using a 1930's car battery and no computer? How can we go from a Catherine Langford losing her fiance in 1945, and stating that she was never allowed to be part of the Stargate Project, her finace Ernest Littlefield and her father were. You can view the episode entitled, The Torment of Tantalus, and see for your self that Catherine, was not involved, she said so.

This Stargate Origins is doing more harm than good. Acting is too unbelievable and the Stargate plot is turning everything on its head to what was in previous Stargate sagas. The inconsistency and contradictory storyline to the rest of the Stargate franchise, is really sad to see.

We have all seen what a mess Star Wars is turning into, well now, Stargate is also being deconstructed and re-imagined into an incongruous mess. Its all fine, for those people who've not seen the past Stargate works, but those of us who've seen it all, will find this new Stargate Origins a slap in the face to everything they've experienced and enjoyed with Stargate up till now. The show writer's obviously have not done their homework, and it is clear that there is no one doing Origins that has full knowledge of the Stargate canon. So if MGM can cheap-out like this, why on Earth should the fan base, that is leading the charge for a return of Stargate, should even bother with this crippled and self conflicting Stargate Origins?

I fear, with the decimation of canons in Star Wars, Star Trek and Aliens and so on, that Stargate too is being hijacked by a new breed of non science fiction types, that are only interested in making dollars at whatever expense it is to the Stargate legacy and its support base.

I hate saying this, I really do, but Stargate Origins is more about Stargate Suicide than a new beginning. This only exemplifies how bad things are really at MGM.
    It's been said 1000 times, but SG1 powered the gate with a car battery in "1969"

Probie

I can overlook the low budget sets and effects, but I've seen 5 year olds with legos act better and write better, as well. Better to let Stargate die.

Defender

Default Re: First Three Episodes Reaction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by h4mx0r View Post
    Fair point, though still, the Chief Occultist only brings 3 guys? Not fifty? Maybe at least ten? You'd think that a guy with an important sounding title would get a little bit more
    Yea you’d think they would at least bring enough to explore brand new worlds and engage a known enemy like the Jaffa, Goa’uld, replicators, wraith etc... like the SG teams did! Wait...they only ever had 4 people on those teams for 10 seasons of SG1 and 5 of SGA. And half of those were archeologists and scientists. That always perplexed me but I looked passed it to enjoy the show. Let’s not harp on things like this because there is not rational, in canon, explanation. It’s a production decision on how to keep cost low and not overwhelm the viewer with dozens of characters that don’t matter.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by JRR View Post
    I can overlook the low budget sets and effects, but I've seen 5 year olds with legos act better and write better, as well. Better to let Stargate die.
    Be careful what you wish for.

I am sure the fans will remake some episodes with the correct gate effects and sounds. We are a creative fandom.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    I am sure the fans will remake some episodes with the correct gate effects and sounds. We are a creative fandom.
    A "SGO Remastered" series

The First One (Moderator) Darren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supergater View Post
    [...] In SGA, the scientist Peter Grodin said the gate only transmit matters in whole object and most importantly, any partially demolecularized (like the pilots in the jumper and the front end of the jumper) will not get transmitted until the entire object is fully demolecularized. So how could Ernest be transmitted to Heliopolis when the gate disconnected. Notice carefully that his diving suit has a breathing hose. After Ernest stepped through the gate, there is still the hose coming out of the event horizon, hence considered partial object. When the gate shuts down, the hose is severed and Ernest would still be in the memory buffer (something like Teal'c in "48 hours).
    I'm also reminded here of the Goa'ulded Kawalsky at the end of "The Enemy Within." His head was sliced open because Teal'c held it in the event horizon when the gate shut down.

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di..._display_media

In that case it's a person, not an object. But it's also a case when the S.G.C. forced a manual shutdown of the wormhole. It's likely that the Stargate itself would have stayed open otherwise, maybe even past the 38-minute window (cf. Eli's arm in "Air, Part 3" -- though I think that was more about Destiny's clock than the 38-minute window).

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

I can honestly get over the continuity issues, and would rather wait until I see the whole thing before I decide.

The overall cheapness and shoddiness of the production is what I find to be the main head-scratcher. MGM potentially have the #3 Sci-Fi franchise (Behind Star Wars and Star Trek) with Stargate, but in order to relaunch it they give us a cheap web-series. It's very disappointing. Would love for it to succeed, but I have to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Langley_forum View Post
    I can honestly get over the continuity issues, and would rather wait until I see the whole thing before I decide.
    Like you, I can forgive -some- continuity errors, but there are some that simply do not work at all. We suspend disbelief to invest in these characters and stories, but to be asked to do it in a glaring way within an existing disbelief?
    It defies belief
    The overall cheapness and shoddiness of the production is what I find to be the main head-scratcher. MGM potentially have the #3 Sci-Fi franchise (Behind Star Wars and Star Trek) with Stargate, but in order to relaunch it they give us a cheap web-series. It's very disappointing. Would love for it to succeed, but I have to be honest.
    Given the sheer fan backlash (warranted or not) against SW Ep 8, I would think MGM would, SHOULD be looking at that market with an eye of opportunity, not tentativeness. TNG series 1 was, sorta bad, but trek fans forgave it and it spawned much more, better trek. If Paramount tried the same approach, there would not be DS9, Voyager, Enterprise or Discovery. Dr Who would still sit in the dustbin of history.
    Both of these properties now make money, and if that's what MGM wants...........

The market is saturated with cheap crap trying to jump on the geek wave, SGO just seems like a limited, half arsed attempt to do something with the property while riding that wave, rather than being a real attempt at reviving Stargate.
    Last edited by Gatefan1976; February 25th, 2018 at 10:29 PM.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast