Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: First Three Episodes Reaction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    Considering a major war is about to start, i seriously doubt that the Nazi high command would give him anything, really. The implications are that this occultist guy isn't even believed in the first place, and he's basically tasked to steal an artifact from the middle of nowhere that nobody cares about. While he does have an important sounding title, it doesn't really mean anything.

I checked the Stargate Movie, and the adress is indeed abydos. Also note that the book shows the names of the constellations. This practically guarantees that the booklet will be lost. Considering she's running towards Abydos, i wouldn't be surprised at all if it gets lost. Catherine is too busy with the dialling since she doesn't seem to realize they are, in fact, constellations (she does say "the one that looks like a Y" and not "Taurus"). Though to be fair, the handwriting is hard to read.

Keep in mind that the symbols on the Gate were known, and that they related to the cartouche was known. The 7th symbol was unknown, because it was depicted rather differently and it was below the address in a way that didn't look like it belonged to it. Like i said, they could've brute forced it but it seems the military didn't want to move forward until they knew what they were dealing with. By linking them to constellations, and by proper translation, Daniel provided essential context.

Abydos Adress in the movie: https://youtu.be/TF3zUOvXUYQ?t=22m17s
    Origins: (s01E03 7 minutes in)

In case you want to see the cartouche, it's at 18:17. "At" looks nothing like the proper "At", so it's not terribly surprising that they didn't instantly see the connection.

It's far more canonically fitting than many make it out to be. They didn't forget the icing effect, the gate effects, the constellations and their proper order, the manual dialling. Hell, they even included the little extra burst of electricity that makes the chevrons lock! The only thing standing in the way of canon so far, is that booklet.
    Yeah, that book should be getting lost in the upcoming episodes, the main problem I had was with Catherine knowing that there are 7 symbols and clearly describing the last symbol to put in. From what I remember she didn't know what the last symbol was and said that they had only ever gotten as far as 6 symbols, wouldn't she think to try that one before going to look for Daniel to help with figuring things out. I mean she could have forgotten, but it seems like something she'd remember especially since it was the last symbol. Even when I cant remember someone's whole phone number, I usually remember at least the last two numbers. Catherine also never came across as someone who went through the Stargate before Torment of Tantalus, I mean yeah, she could have just not mentioned it, but that's why it the whole thing feels shoehorned in.

To add, I know the most obvious way to fix what Catherine remembers or mentions later on is some kind of mind wipe, I just don't really like that idea or find it interesting.
    Last edited by VampyreWraith; February 16th, 2018 at 01:36 PM.

It's far more canonically fitting than many make it out to be. They didn't forget the icing effect, the gate effects, the constellations and their proper order, the manual dialling. Hell, they even included the little extra burst of electricity that makes the chevrons lock! The only thing standing in the way of canon so far, is that booklet.
    They remembered that, but they forgot the 'rough ride'.

Probie

They lost me when 1 the Nazis open the gate. 2. Catherine witnessed the gate being open. 3. Catherine went through the stargate with a unnamed boyfriend. Was he supposed to be Ernest Littlefield?

Chief Master Sergeant

Origins is actually pretty fun. It's low-budget and none of the actors are particularly good... but it's enjoyable to watch. No, it doesn't fit with the continuity, but I'm just looking at it as a "What if Catherine Langford had gone through the Stargate in 1939?"

If they put it out as a reasonably priced DTV movie I'll pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    Even when I cant remember someone's whole phone number, I usually remember at least the last two numbers.
    I don't. I've seen the symbols for abydos yesterday, twice, and the only ones i can remember is that the first one is taurus and the 6th is Orion. I mean, and "At" obviously but that's been featured dozens of times across many years.

Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar
    AU where Extinction and Revolution were released

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyes View Post
    They lost me when 1 the Nazis open the gate. 2. Catherine witnessed the gate being open. 3. Catherine went through the stargate with a unnamed boyfriend. Was he supposed to be Ernest Littlefield?
    He is named as James Beal - and remember this is 6 years before she was established to be with Ernest.

I don't. I've seen the symbols for abydos yesterday, twice, and the only ones i can remember is that the first one is taurus and the 6th is Orion. I mean, and "At" obviously but that's been featured dozens of times across many years.
    I think she would at least recognise it looking at the gate. It would suck if the explaination is "Catherine loses the notebook and forgets the symbol"

Does James remind anyone else of a slightly less camp version of Lt George in Blackadder Goes Forth?

Quote Originally Posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
    SG-1 literally powered the gate with a car battery in 1969. It's been done before, it can be done again.
    AFAIK they powered the gate with the energy produced by several running military vehicles. Not a simple car battery.

Quote Originally Posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    To add, I know the most obvious way to fix what Catherine remembers or mentions later on is some kind of mind wipe, I just don't really like that idea or find it interesting.
    That's my biggest cringe at the minute. There were ways to make this fit tidily into the continuity without resorting to to cheap and lame mind-wipe and I fear that's where we're going with it.

I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be the case though.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Colonel

It's so bad.

So, so bad.

Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar
    AU where Extinction and Revolution were released

Quote Originally Posted by Jper View Post
    AFAIK they powered the gate with the energy produced by several running military vehicles. Not a simple car battery.
    They also had a generator from the flood light

Quote Originally Posted by Jper View Post
    it doesn't matter. The stargate can easily store energy. If it takes 5 seconds to charge with 2 engines, it takes 10 seconds with 1. They could power the thing with AAA batteries if need be.

it doesn't matter. The stargate can easily store energy. If it takes 5 seconds to charge with 2 engines, it takes 10 seconds with 1. They could power the thing with AAA batteries if need be.
    Remember when they did it with moss that just happened to be growing nearby?
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post

I think she would at least recognise it looking at the gate. It would suck if the explaination is "Catherine loses the notebook and forgets the symbol"
    Yeah, and at the time this story takes place, she's apparently been looking at/studying the gate with her father for years and then she clearly describes what the last symbol she used to to get the gate open is. It's not like she's never seen the gate or the symbols on them before, then it might be a bit more understandable for her to later on be like "I'm not sure, I don't remember it was just some strange symbol, they all look alike to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    That's my biggest cringe at the minute. There were ways to make this fit tidily into the continuity without resorting to to cheap and lame mind-wipe and I fear that's where we're going with it.

I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be the case though.
    I agree. I was (and still kind of am) really hoping that they would find some way to make it fit in nicely with everything else, without resorting to a mind wipe or something similar so that it fits.

Probie

feel like watching a low budget live play .

Second Lieutenant Wolf O'Donnell's Avatar

I agree with the others who said that it felt like a fan film but I am going to at least watch the whole series. It's not what we are used to but I think it can get better.

Probie

Arf, that show is not really good, but, since I like the Stargate's universe, I will be watching it to see if in the end it can becomes significant and add something to the story ark.

So far, I'm irritated by the light-heartly-ness of the caracters in supposed serious situation. The type of humor seems to be aimed at kids. But Stargate was never aimed at kids, it was aimed for a general audience of all ages. Apart from the SG-1 Pilot that was originally aimed at a more mature audience because of nudity, Stargate was aimed at everyone.

That pantie fetish nazi... wtf? The cliché humor of Catherine, the way she "solves" problems, everything is so easy going. It really feels like they're aiming at kids audience.

The only think I can compare Stargate Origins to, is Avatar: Legend of Korra.

While Avatar, the last airbender original series was a freaking awesome enjoyable to watch tv show aimed for general audience, not just kids, the sequel Legend of Korra was terrible and was aimed at kids only.

I did watch the first season of Korra, but didn't bother the other two because how bad it felt. So far, if the SGO continues on this path, I won't be watching next seasons(if they even have remaining fans to watch a 2nd season).

Regarding the stroy ark a.k.a. canon, it is still possible that it follows the well established canon, if they get memory wiped and that book is lost. Otherwise, there are major issue with this storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by kobolds View Post
    feel like watching a low budget live play .
    It's a low-budget pre-recorded play.

Haven't seen it yet(will watch the whole thing like a movie as intended when it has fully come out), but I'm just happy that there's new Stargate.

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

I still don't understand the purpose of SGO.

1) A small budget project to gauge the fans interest before investing big money.

2) Something to justify the new platform while the 4th series is being planed.

3) Script money from abandoned trilogy used for fan servicing, might as well keep hope alive.

MGM, after 7 years off TV, that's how you choose to bring back YOUR big franchise, with a cheap imitation. Stupid shows get made all the time with big budgets but YOU still need justification to invest in your biggest property. Unbelievable.

You do realize Star Trek made a comeback on tv, yes? It wasn't perfect but we can see they at least put a lot of effort to make it look good. They hired a few recognizable actors that can actually act. The story was all over the place but it wasn't bad. Even Star Wars is coming to "tv". What are you waiting for? The good old days of tv/dvd to come back?

Commit or sell.

Quote Originally Posted by meo3000 View Post
    I still don't understand the purpose of SGO.

1) A small budget project to gauge the fans interest before investing big money.
    This is the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by meo3000 View Post
    You do realize Star Trek made a comeback on tv, yes?
    Star Trek has had 3 commercially successfull, big-screen multi-million dollar movies in the past decade. Stargate's been dead for at least 7 years. At least 10 if you count from Sg1's end. A trek series is a financial no-brainer.

MGM is still recovering from a bankrupcy. I'm sure it's financial department won't commit ~50 million to a series that may have no audience left (according to Mallozzi, the main audience for SG1 was in the 40-50 age region. By now, that's 50-60.) Hence, they're gauging the reaction. SGO doesn't need an overwhelming response, since it doesn't have an overwhelming budget.