Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Origins' first free-for-all 20 minutes: Will you watch them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Origins' first free-for-all 20 minutes: Will you watch them?

Stargate Command all-access members, please refrain from chosing. Your comments are welcome, but this is particularly aimed at those who do not have it, or cannot have it.

February 15, 2018

Today, Stargate Command will send out a mail which gives the go ahead for people to stream the first 10 or 20 minutes of Stargate Origins. The 100 minute long webseries, which goes back to 1939 and follows Catherine Langford in her adventure "to save the planet".

As it is known by now, there are many fans who have no access to all-access and therefore no access to the full 100 minutes of the webseries. However, the first 20 minutes are free-for-all (which is a pretty cheap trick to get more people to sign up -- CBS did the same with Star Trek Discovery's pilot and their 2-week free trial of CBS all-access, except that Stargate Command has no free trial nor does Stargate Origins have any other place where it can be watched).

For all those who are currently not (yet) all-access, either by choice or by being inelligible, I put forth the question:

Are you going to watch the first 20 minutes?

Yes, I'm elligible for all-access so I'll watch these 20 minutes and then decide to pay or not pay.
    Yes, I will watch the first 20 minutes even though I'm not elligible for all-access.
    No, I will only stream the first 10 minutes. Perhaps it will register my IP and show MGM that fans are everywhere.
    No, I will not watch these free-for-all 20 minutes.

Elligible for all-access are people living in the USA, the United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
    Everyone else is blocked from all-access and all of Stargate Origins (by legal ways).

Comments welcome.

Edit: The free episodes are available worldwide. If you still have no access, the Stargate Command team asks that you email them at [email protected] with a screencap of the message that you see.

I also saw in a reply on twitter that the 20 minutes free-for-all will remain free-for-all until the end of all-access in May -- May 15, 2018.

Episodes are available on the website or the app -- whichever you choose to use for viewing.
    Yes, I'm eligible for all-access so I'll watch these 20 minutes and then decide to pay or not pay
    30.00%
    Yes, I will watch the first 20 minutes even though I'm not elligible for all-access.
    20.00%
    No, I will only stream the first 10 minutes. Maybe it will show that fans are everywhere.
    0.00%
    No, I will not watch these free-for-all 20 minutes
    50.00%
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; 18 February 2018, 03:02 AM.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Nah, definitely not going to watch it.

To be honest, my usual source of stargate news is twitter, but I've muted all my stargate-related twitter accounts (and that includes, I'm afraid to say, the twitter account of gateworld).
    Just can't be bothered with it anymore.

For all transparency, let's say (like some suspect) that in a few months, stargatecommand becomes free for all, no money needed, for everyone all over the world, and this includes all episodes of origin: even them I have no intention of watching it.

If they're going to do a decent story, about some decent characters, in a decent setting, with a decent budget then give me a call.
    Everything less than that: don't bother, I've got better things to do with my time.

Comment

Perhaps I should answer my own question.

I, too, will not be watching these free episodes. If I can't have it all, then I don't want any of it.
      But more importantly: designated as an undesired fan, I shall behave as such and will not "support" this so that others can enjoy more of it.

I was planning on streaming -- not watching -- the first 10 minutes IF my IP would be registered so that MGM would have been made aware that there are a whole lot more fans out there than the few who were granted access, but my questions were firmly ignored so therefore I decided against this sort of "support".

I, too, have unfollowed all stargate-related twitters, including Gateworld, and will mute all stargate-related tweets for the time being, until Stargate Origins blows over. Except for the Russian fan-run twitter account. They are still in my feed but I love their birthday-tweets so they can stay.

It it turns up on any of my torrent-sites, I can't promise I won't download and watch illegally as it were.

And if Stargate Command decides that "yes, now you can have access too" at some point in time, than I have but one thing to say to them: "Sorry fella's, a little too late."

Comment

I wasn't told about the free-for-all

I live in Ireland, and don't have all access, nor can I watch anything on the site.

?why is the internet always picking on meeee?

Comment

Yes I will watch, if given a chance in whatever way. I am not getting pushed away.

Comment

What's wrong with them just airing the series on TV?
            Total syffy posts: 36,690
            (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
            Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by pscard View Post
              What's wrong with them just airing the series on TV?
              Because it's not a TV show. It's a low-budget series of ten episodes of 10 minutes each, which collectively form a single movie. It's pretty easy to see that it will never have the viewing numbers on TV to justify the costs of broadcasting it. TV is still very much behind on modern internet streaming. It's just easier and cheaper for MGM to do this. Their reason is to "test the waters" before spending millions of dollars on a full-blown TV series that will be broadcast around the world.

It is my opinion that that will not happen in any foreseeable future. Simply because many fans aren't interested anymore, and I for one won't support MGM if this is their way of saying "for the fans" and that it's 100% canon. In all honesty, I prefer Stargate to remain dead, because these 10 episodes are already tearing the whole fanbase apart, both through geo-blocking and different perspectives on canon. What would happen if MGM produces a full big-budget TV show?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                "Sorry fella's, a little too late."

Comment

Watched first thing this morning before work.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by SassyGassyLassie View Post
                    I wasn't told about the free-for-all.
                    It isn't mentioned either -- they mentioned it on twitter only, and PH who lives in the UK wasn't able to watch anything to do, free or otherwise. I estimate that the UK didn't yet get access to the episodes -- I don't know.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    Watched first thing this morning before work.
                    I regret allowing all-access members to make comments.
                    Last edited by Falcon Horus; 15 February 2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Sorry the poll took so long, I did have to edit the third option because there is a limit to how many characters you can have
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        Sorry the poll took so long, I did have to edit the third option because there is a limit to how many characters you can have
                        Not a problem. Thank you.

Comment

I have not seen anything offered for free on Stargate Origins, I have been to the site a number of times, maybe I am missing something. From what I have read no big loss, I seriously doubt I will be able to get into SGO and I certainly don't feel it is worth $20 from what I have read about it so far. I understand that the creators thought that offering all of the past SG shows and movies would make the $20 worthwhile, but I already own every show and movei ever made in the SG franchise so it would not offer me anything that I do not alreday have.

I really do not understand why they went back to the beginning, why not go ahead 5, 10, 20,000 years in the future on another planet and discover the gate there and have a relatively open storyline that they do not have to worry about stepping on fans toes with. That is the beauty of the SG storyline, the possibilities are just about limitless as to where you can take the story line. Yet these guys confined themselves to this tiny little tough to match up storyline? I would say that these writers are not particularly brilliant and have a little trouble thinking outside the box. Maybe if fans produce enough ideas to move them in the right direction and they make enough from this intiial venture maybe they can get some better writers and come up with another champion show like SG1 or SGA. I honestly cannot bring myself at this point to pay any money for this SGO, I honestly have little interest in even watching it, it will just irk me, so why bother. If there is a free 20 minutes and I eventually find it I may try to watch that, maybe my opinion will change somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainGuardian View Post
                            I have not seen anything offered for free on Stargate Origins, I have been to the site a number of times, maybe I am missing something.
                            Possibly not live in your area -- I know the UK got it late last night. Maybe other areas are still even further behind.

However, I do know that you have to be a registered user and that you possibly cannot watch it on the site if you are not in the US. Apparently, only US residents can watch it on the website -- everyone else has to use the app (which I deleted anyway cause it was bugged into kingdome come and doing screwy things with my phone).

Comment

I am in the US, like you said maybe it isn't available to us yet here. I am unable to log in to the site without paying the $20 fee to become a member though, so if it requires a login then they are not technically offering it for free. Not a big deal, the only reason I am even concerned about any of this is that if enough people show interest and support maybe we can get at least a version of this great franchise going again.

Comment

Working...
                              X