Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Episode 10 (110)

I know.... But her name hasn't added anything to the story. They could have introduced any other unknown minor Goa'uld.

It is already an interesting question why the Goa'uld spared their enemies in the past : Osiris and Isis, then Sahmet, then even Egeria. These merciful actions don't pass to the violent nature of the Goa'uld. I would rather imagine that they have served and eated their enemies, not just simply lock them up as punishment.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by lightsyder View Post
    The whole Aset jar situation is covered in one of the mission files on the Stargate command website
    Tiny problem with those Mission Files -- they are, as of yet, still all-access only and therefore not accessible for every non-6-country member.

However, a friendly all-access member at Stargate Command (the count is up to four who offered a glimpse behind the scenes) copied and pasted the mission files text in private messages so that's how I know that they indeed try to cover the Aset/Isis issue.

However, the mistake they make, even in their cover-up, is that Aset was the original name of the goddess in Egyptian mythology and Isis was the name the Ancient Greeks gave to her. So, she didn't switch from Isis to Aset, but from Aset to Isis but was never any different, just went by different names in different times.

Osiris was known as Uris in Ancient Egyptian mythology (again Osiris is the Ancient Greek naming).
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon by Falcon Horus & signature by JadedWraith || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

First Lieutenant

Maybe they just didn't want to use the name Isis

I was finally able to watch this now that the feature cut was out. Overall, I thought it was a lot of fun. The actors were great (especially Ellie Gall and Connor Trinneer), and the premise was entertaining if a bit predictable. The ending was bittersweet, but I still liked it. It was amazing to see some new Stargate content after so long.

Maybe they just didn't want to use the name Isis
    Why wouldn't they?

It's an Egyptian goddess, in their mythology. I have no issue with their use of Aset but Aset and Isis are one and the same deity. And considering SG-1 canon states Isis and her mate Osiris were at the bottom of the Atlantic, that makes for a poor break in canon galore. So either, this is not, as MGM claimed series canon, but instead movie canon.

The other is IS -- completely unrelated to Ancient Egypt.

icon by Falcon Horus & signature by JadedWraith || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

First Lieutenant

I know it's unrelated, just thiught they might not want the negativity associated with it now. Just speculation on my part

I know it's unrelated, just thiught they might not want the negativity associated with it now. Just speculation on my part
    Isis was first --

First Lieutenant

Lol! Very true!

Well, it's a fair point. No one wants to be associated with the IS, and unfortunately Isis as a name does have negative connotations in that department. Even Downton Abbey apparently killed a character's dog named Isis. They claim it was not because of the IS but you just know it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiristi View Post
    Well, it's a fair point. No one wants to be associated with the IS, and unfortunately Isis as a name does have negative connotations in that department. Even Downton Abbey apparently killed a character's dog named Isis. They claim it was not because of the IS but you just know it was.
    I don't associate IS with Isis because they are two different things. One is a terrorist group that is actually named ISIL, and the other is an Egyptian goddess.

If you are incapable of distinguishing between the two, then the problem lies with you (general) and not the character in question.

However, in relation to Origins, it doesn't actually matter since they don't follow series' canon but movie canon. The Steward expedition is an SG-1 invention. In the film all gods and goddesses were fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I don't associate IS with Isis because they are two different things. One is a terrorist group that is actually named ISIL, and the other is an Egyptian goddess.

If you are incapable of distinguishing between the two, then the problem lies with you (general) and not the character in question.

However, in relation to Origins, it doesn't actually matter since they don't follow series' canon but movie canon. The Steward expedition is an SG-1 invention. In the film all gods and goddesses were fair game.
    Please, no need to turn this into a personal attack. I'm not saying I think of IS when speaking about Isis but that people in general do so. Just google Isis. Most of the results are not about the Goddess. Please try to understand this without attacking other users.

First Lieutenant

Yes, that is what I meant. The general public is not going to tie the word to Egyptian mythology.

Granted Stargate fans probably know better but all won't and it's probably MGM'S view that simply avoiding potential negative ties is the best option

Maybe Hathor could have been a better choice then, but then it could have been harder to close story how she ends up in Latin America.

Taurt could have been a good candidate:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taweret
    But since they have used "her" in the LOST, I doubt that they wanted to introduce her in the SG as well.

A little off. While I was studying the fertility goddess, I was not aware that Qetesh had mythological connection too:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qetesh
    Hmmm. Shame on me. How can I be a Vala fan if I don't know such informations. Anyway the "she was a fertility goddess of sacred ecstasy and sexual pleasure"... fits perfecty. So maybe Claudia Black could have played her as Quetesh, but then she would have told the team that actually she managed to meet the Langfords long time ago on Abydos. Then it would be also not logical why Ra would keep Quetesh/Vala alive, so just ignore this little mini fan fiction.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Quote Originally Posted by Osiristi View Post
    Please, no need to turn this into a personal attack.
    I was not attacking anyone -- I was talking about the "general" you. Perhaps, I should have been more clear.

Yes, that is what I meant. The general public is not going to tie the word to Egyptian mythology.

Granted Stargate fans probably know better but all won't and it's probably MGM'S view that simply avoiding potential negative ties is the best option
    That's BS. If the general public hasn't a clue, they should have paid better attention in history class, or read a bit more. Isis and Osiris aren't unknown Egyptian gods either. And pretty common knowledge.

First Lieutenant

I can assure you no history class I ever had covered Egyptian mythology. I learned what I did by reading up on it on my own.

We have our differing opinions on the subject, end of story.