No announcement yet.

Episode 10 (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's unrelated, just thiught they might not want the negativity associated with it now. Just speculation on my part

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
      I know it's unrelated, just thiught they might not want the negativity associated with it now. Just speculation on my part
      Isis was first --
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Lol! Very true!

Comment

Well, it's a fair point. No one wants to be associated with the IS, and unfortunately Isis as a name does have negative connotations in that department. Even Downton Abbey apparently killed a character's dog named Isis. They claim it was not because of the IS but you just know it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
            Well, it's a fair point. No one wants to be associated with the IS, and unfortunately Isis as a name does have negative connotations in that department. Even Downton Abbey apparently killed a character's dog named Isis. They claim it was not because of the IS but you just know it was.
            I don't associate IS with Isis because they are two different things. One is a terrorist group that is actually named ISIL, and the other is an Egyptian goddess.

If you are incapable of distinguishing between the two, then the problem lies with you (general) and not the character in question.

However, in relation to Origins, it doesn't actually matter since they don't follow series' canon but movie canon. The Steward expedition is an SG-1 invention. In the film all gods and goddesses were fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              I don't associate IS with Isis because they are two different things. One is a terrorist group that is actually named ISIL, and the other is an Egyptian goddess.

If you are incapable of distinguishing between the two, then the problem lies with you (general) and not the character in question.

However, in relation to Origins, it doesn't actually matter since they don't follow series' canon but movie canon. The Steward expedition is an SG-1 invention. In the film all gods and goddesses were fair game.
              Please, no need to turn this into a personal attack. I'm not saying I think of IS when speaking about Isis but that people in general do so. Just google Isis. Most of the results are not about the Goddess. Please try to understand this without attacking other users.

Comment

Yes, that is what I meant. The general public is not going to tie the word to Egyptian mythology.

Granted Stargate fans probably know better but all won't and it's probably MGM'S view that simply avoiding potential negative ties is the best option

Comment

Maybe Hathor could have been a better choice then, but then it could have been harder to close story how she ends up in Latin America.

Taurt could have been a good candidate:
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taweret
                  But since they have used "her" in the LOST, I doubt that they wanted to introduce her in the SG as well.

A little off. While I was studying the fertility goddess, I was not aware that Qetesh had mythological connection too:
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qetesh
                  Hmmm. Shame on me. How can I be a Vala fan if I don't know such informations. Anyway the "she was a fertility goddess of sacred ecstasy and sexual pleasure"... fits perfecty. So maybe Claudia Black could have played her as Quetesh, but then she would have told the team that actually she managed to meet the Langfords long time ago on Abydos. Then it would be also not logical why Ra would keep Quetesh/Vala alive, so just ignore this little mini fan fiction.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
                    Please, no need to turn this into a personal attack.
                    I was not attacking anyone -- I was talking about the "general" you. Perhaps, I should have been more clear.

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                    Yes, that is what I meant. The general public is not going to tie the word to Egyptian mythology.

Granted Stargate fans probably know better but all won't and it's probably MGM'S view that simply avoiding potential negative ties is the best option
                    That's BS. If the general public hasn't a clue, they should have paid better attention in history class, or read a bit more. Isis and Osiris aren't unknown Egyptian gods either. And pretty common knowledge.

Comment

I can assure you no history class I ever had covered Egyptian mythology. I learned what I did by reading up on it on my own.

We have our differing opinions on the subject, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                        I don't see the issue with Ra not considering Earth a threat. It's the same thing Apophis does despite Apophis going there himself and seeing the level of technology the Tau'ri have. In the pilot episode for the series Ra goes to Earth himself, gets a look around the gateroom and encounters several SGC guards - and he actually looses one of his personal guard to them - but he doesn't at any point show any actual interest in Earth from what i remember. Even after capturing SG1 he shows absolutely no interest in them, it isn't until they directly interrupt him as he's leaving (and with Teal'c betraying him) that he finally decides to send some Jaffa and then eventually just gives up after a few days. It isn't until after SG1 captures him on the Nox planet and they go on to do all sorts of other things that he finally decides to send 2 ships to Earth.

If Apophis, who was a quite powerful system lord, wouldn't consider them a threat after encountering the more advanced (than 1930s Earth) military personnel and seeing their level of technology himself, then i don't see why Ra would consider them a threat before the movie. Ra was the most powerful system lord, he probably had more important things to do than rush off and deal with them when they weren't a problem right away, and 70 years probably isn't a huge amount of time for a creature who's thousands of years old.

The Goa'uld are arrogant, self-centred and pretty much always underestimate their enemies. I don't think there's much chance he considered them worth any significant attention at the time.
                        Way late on this reply, but isn't there dialogue in Season 1 about how mustering the ships and army to come and attack Earth takes a good deal of effort on Apophis' part? I don't think that it was a case of he didn't think it was worth is so much as he had to get around to it. Which, sure you can make the argument that ra just never got around it, but come on. That's so weak.

Perfecto!

Comment

Foo
                          Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post

Way late on this reply, but isn't there dialogue in Season 1 about how mustering the ships and army to come and attack Earth takes a good deal of effort on Apophis' part? I don't think that it was a case of he didn't think it was worth is so much as he had to get around to it. Which, sure you can make the argument that ra just never got around it, but come on. That's so weak.
                          Prior to the season 1 finale, Goa'uld ships could only go 10 times the speed of light, so it would have taken Apophis a year or more to reach Earth. It's also implied that the Goa'uld had very few ships at that point because the loss of those two greatly weakened Apophis' position against the other System Lords. (It was never explicitly stated, but it would make sense if they went on a ship building spree after their hyperdrive upgrades made ships a viable way to get around. Hence all the motherships we saw later in the series.)

Consequently, bombarding a civilization from space was a big ordeal for much of the Goa'uld's history. It meant sending one or two of their very limited supply of ships on a multi-year, back and forth journey, which in turn meant that that ship (or ships) would effectively be out of play for a good chunk of time. This, of course, is problematic as the Goa'uld mainly needed ships to fend off or launch attacks against other System Lords.

Thus, the Goa'uld opted to ignore a lot of slave revolts because using ships to retake a planet that rose up against them was often not worth the effort when the alternative was to use the Stargate to set up a slave population on a new planet. They did, however, sometimes try dialing old addresses that went inactive and often did find it worthwhile to retake a planet if they could do so by sending Jaffa through the gate. For example, they kept sending scouts to Cimmeria to see if Thor's Hammer was still a problem and Sg-1 regularly had to tell formerly abandoned worlds that were facing current Goa'uld incursions to rebury the gate after they left.

In Earth's case, while it would have taken a good deal of effort for Apophis to send those two ships at an earlier point, it was relatively easily to send an army of Jaffa through the Stargate and, in fact, he did just that in the second episode. The problem was that it took Apophis awhile to realize that they weren't making it through, so he lost a lot of Jaffa to Earth's iris. After that, he largely left them alone (unless he encountered them on another planet) and only pointed his ships at Earth when those hyperdrive advancements made it quick and easy. We know of other advanced worlds that were wiped out from space in the past, so the Goa'uld weren't unwilling to take a ship out of play for years to deal with one, but the trouble a civilization caused likely had to outweigh having one less ship to use against other System Lords for a few years.

From my view, I think you're both right. After the iris went up, Apophis did need time to get around to dealing with Earth since he didn't have the technology to easily get there for much of season 1. However, he also seemed disinterested in bothering with Earth until he thought he could deal with it quickly and until it made itself a nuisance to him, personally. As TheVoidDragon noted, all he did when he found out that the Earth gate was accessible again was raid it for a potential host. If he thought they were a threat, it would have taken him little effort to use that opportunity to send a naquadah bomb through or use his Jaffa to try securing the gate like he ended up trying to do only after Teal'c helped Sg-1 escape.

He also could have devoted more resources to trying to overcome Earth's iris once he figured out that they hadn't simply buried the gate. Note that he spent time on such schemes in season 2 (sending Ray'c to Earth with a deadly virus hidden in his teeth and founding the SGC infiltration camp that Sg-1 came across in season 3). At that point he could no longer afford to send ships after Earth, but because Earth hurt him so badly, he was suddenly much more motivated to find a way to obliterate them than he was for that first year after "Children of the Gods."

Had Earth buried the gate instead of raiding Chulak twice and almost killing Apophis on the Nox homeworld, it's possible that he would have let them be, especially if that hyperdrive upgrade never came about. However, I'm not sure if Apophis knew that Earth was responsible for Ra's death prior to Sha're becoming a host. Maybe he did and dismissed it as a fluke, but he also could have only learned about it in or right after "Children of the Gods," and that very well have been cause enough to send ships to Earth (Hathor's death was the reason the System Lords viewed Earth as a threat worthy of their imminent attention). If Earth buried the gate, it may not have been a top priority for him, but letting a civilization advance technologically for decades or hundreds of years more after they proved capable of killing a System Lord would have been a bad idea, so it may have gone on his Todo list.
                          Last edited by Xaeden; 13 December 2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X