X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 7 (107)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ORIGINS: CATHERINE

As Brücke comes to realize the power that his new alliance could offer him, Catherine and her friends get better acquainted with the planet's natives.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 05 February 2021, 11:04 PM.

So huge mistake here.
    They are sitting in the village there on Abydos having a feast and having fun and then all of a sudden, I hear present day Egyptian dialect in the background.
    How is that even possible???
    Seriously, how can a 24 year old franchise make such a mistake?? A franchise based on ancient Egyptian and did many scenes both in Egypt and on other planets that spoke different languages.
    The Abydos natives cannot speak current day Egyptian. For God's sake, Wasif was struggling to understand them in the scene before that one. Trying to understand them using a language he barely knew through his dead grandmother.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
      So huge mistake here.
      They are sitting in the village there on Abydos having a feast and having fun and then all of a sudden, I hear present day Egyptian dialect in the background.
      How is that even possible???
      Guess it was just a simple harmless missed by producer. I guess since Egypt wouldn't have All Access to watch, the producer would hardly expect the bulk audience to understand modern Egyptian enough to catch it.

For someone who is in Asia, I've seen even more obvious blatant disregard to proper language translation. In a particular movie, the non English language spoken which is widely used in this region has a TOTAL opposite mismatch to the English subtitle provided (and I'm talking about subtitles provided in the same way the Stargate movie provided English subs for the Abydonian language, not those English sub for the whole movie types. And those scenes were essential to the 3rd act twist). So I can turn a blind eye on this mistake.

Comment

So huge mistake here.
        Seriously, how can a 24 year old franchise make such a mistake??
        No one in the team of Origins has been in the Stargate production before this one, I think. So the 24-year-old argument doesn't apply. Still, poor planning, but the people who recognize it will not be the majority of viewers. There have been bigger mistakes within these 7 episodes already.

Comment

Originally posted by Supergater View Post
          Guess it was just a simple harmless missed by producer. I guess since Egypt wouldn't have All Access to watch, the producer would hardly expect the bulk audience to understand modern Egyptian enough to catch it.

For someone who is in Asia, I've seen even more obvious blatant disregard to proper language translation. In a particular movie, the non English language spoken which is widely used in this region has a TOTAL opposite mismatch to the English subtitle provided (and I'm talking about subtitles provided in the same way the Stargate movie provided English subs for the Abydonian language, not those English sub for the whole movie types. And those scenes were essential to the 3rd act twist). So I can turn a blind eye on this mistake.
          They're assuming the audience ignorance and actually depending on it. And it doesn't make sense that they would ignore a mistake simply coz no one would notice it. And eventually SGC is gone sell it to a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu to distribute it worldwide.
          Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
          No one in the team of Origins has been in the Stargate production before this one, I think. So the 24-year-old argument doesn't apply. Still, poor planning, but the people who recognize it will not be the majority of viewers. There have been bigger mistakes within these 7 episodes already.
          Not the same team? I didn't know. My bad. But still, shows should grow with time not keep doing the same mistakes no matter who the crew are.
          Yeah there where many mistakes but this one is the most annoying

Comment

They're assuming the audience ignorance and actually depending on it. And it doesn't make sense that they would ignore a mistake simply coz no one would notice it.
            They kept claiming that this show was made FOR the fans. If so, they can't rely on the audience's ignorance.

Comment

Given that the vast majority of off world peoples and species speak English I think that's fairly minor in the grand scheme.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jerem View Post
                They kept claiming that this show was made FOR the fans. If so, they can't rely on the audience's ignorance.
                Yes It's made for the fans, but fans are all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  Given that the vast majority of off world peoples and species speak English I think that's fairly minor in the grand scheme.
                  That's because you've been watching Stargate in English... Try in another language, you'll see the galaxy looks quite different for some strange reason

Comment

They're assuming the audience ignorance and actually depending on it. And it doesn't make sense that they would ignore a mistake simply coz no one would notice it. And eventually SGC is gone sell it to a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu to distribute it worldwide.
                    You've been spoiled. American productions rarely get anything other than english right. I'm still in minor shock that the german isn't gibberish in Stargate.

Besides, i think the russian in SG1 wasn't always correct either. In the end, they're not going to reshoot an entire scene because fans from one nation can recognize a mistake that the other 99% of fans won't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      You've been spoiled. American productions rarely get anything other than english right. I'm still in minor shock that the german isn't gibberish in Stargate.

Besides, i think the russian in SG1 wasn't always correct either. In the end, they're not going to reshoot an entire scene because fans from one nation can recognize a mistake that the other 99% of fans won't notice.
                      In the opening scene of Small Victories, one member of the crew is actually speaking Ukrainian, while the other is speaking Russian. At some point they say "What could that noise be?" and the response is "Maybe these are the bugs from the previous episode."
                      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

why are the Abydonians smoking? wasn't Skarra amazed and surprised seeing O'niell smoke a cigarett , and was also disgusted by it when he tried it , as if he never smoked anything before.
                        yet here we see them smoking stuff all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Major Grin View Post
                          why are the Abydonians smoking? wasn't Skarra amazed and surprised seeing O'niell smoke a cigarett , and was also disgusted by it when he tried it , as if he never smoked anything before.
                          yet here we see them smoking stuff all the time
                          Rewatching the movie, Skaara was more intrigued to the "instant" fire from the zippo than the smoking. Maybe Earth's cigarette taste horrible compared to the Abydonian pipe - tobacco vs exotic alien plants.

But I feel responsible to say this: smoking - bad for health! Don't try it! Even O'Neill quit it after Abydos mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Supergater View Post
                            But I feel responsible to say this: smoking - bad for health! Don't try it! Even O'Neill quit it after Abydos mission.
                            Agreed. This was socially irresponsible and also undermined Catherine’s character. The camera effects hinted at an altered mental state. If her father was everything for her, that was not the time to be trying out the local version of Tide pods (not that there ever is). It was also irresponsible of Beal, as a soldier, to go along with that, no matter how headstrong Catherine was, if he loved her and wanted to keep her safe. They didn't know what the stuff was, what the effects were or how long they would last, or if there would be a hangover.

The feast did say something about Aset’s leadership though—not all the young, able-bodied people were ever in the mines at once and they seemed to have had plenty of food and downtime. Maybe they rotated days in and out of the mine and thought of the duty as more of a job and honor than forced labor, as Kasuf seemed to also. Maybe the food was also shipped in from somewhere? Can jackfruit and lotus roots be grown in the desert? Those were prominent on the table.

Comment

Working...
                            X