X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 4 (104)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ORIGINS: CATHERINE

Catherine, Beal, and Wasif quickly find themselves in over their heads after they arrive on another world, where they encounter a powerful alien warrior.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 05 February 2021, 10:58 PM.

My first reactions...

WHAT?? They can actually see the transit through the wormhole while their eyes are demolecularized? That makes no sense at all... Don't they at least get it proof-read by somebody with a little scientific knowledge?

I found the character's lack of seriousness for the gravity of the situation they are in disconcerting. Like it's all a game to them. I understand that Stargate always had some humor in it, but here it's damn right inappropriate, so much that it kills some of the credibility of the story.

I liked hearing the ancient egyptian language again... Recognized quite a few words from the original Stargate movie.

Found it entertaining... Looking forward to see more
    Still too short IMHO

Comment

After feeling a bit underwhelmed with the first three, this is the first episode that I actually quite enjoyed. More like this, please.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jerem View Post
        I found the character's lack of seriousness for the gravity of the situation they are in disconcerting. Like it's all a game to them. I understand that Stargate always had some humor in it, but here it's damn right inappropriate, so much that it kills some of the credibility of the story.
        I disagree. I would understand if it were realism they were going for, but this is very obviously in the mold of 'swashbuckling' stories set in the 30s and 40s. Think of it like Indiana Jones.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          I disagree. I would understand if it were realism they were going for, but this is very obviously in the mold of 'swashbuckling' stories set in the 30s and 40s. Think of it like Indiana Jones.
          Indiana Jones would at least feel frightened when faced with danger, with a scared look on his face! Saying something funny in the face of danger? Perfectly fine, O'Neill was a master at that. Laughing when it's inappropriate? Fine with me.

But caring more about berating your friend then the fight you're in the middle of waging, to the point you're no longer aware of where your opponent is? That's where it goes too far for me, and I just can't follow anymore and I stop caring about these characters. Sorry, but that's just how I am.

As a big fan of Indiana Jones, I must say there's still always a limit where 'swashbuckling' can go too far. And I think they crossed that line with me.

Comment

The Indiana Jones vibe is border line with me as well. I think the 5th episode really started to get into the right feel of what I am used to with Stargate. Hope to see more like that. But we shall see. I did like these episodes much better than the first three and hope they get away from the Indiana Jones quirkiness. Much more excited for the rest and only wish they were longer... not enough meat on the bone with these 10 minute clips. lol

Comment

WHAT?? They can actually see the transit through the wormhole while their eyes are demolecularized? That makes no sense at all... Don't they at least get it proof-read by somebody with a little scientific knowledge?
              Yeah, I really wasn't keen on this. Not sure how you're supposed to see anything when you don't actually exist as such.

Originally posted by Eventless Horizon View Post
              The Indiana Jones vibe is border line with me as well. I think the 5th episode really started to get into the right feel of what I am used to with Stargate. Hope to see more like that. But we shall see. I did like these episodes much better than the first three and hope they get away from the Indiana Jones quirkiness. Much more excited for the rest and only wish they were longer... not enough meat on the bone with these 10 minute clips. lol
              Agreed there. The humour has been a bit over-the-top (especially with that German character) but episode 5 felt a little more in line with O'Neill or Sheppard's humour, I think. That said, I do like the more adventurous feel to Origins. Feels very much more like the fun of SG-1.

I really liked Sarquet's (?) custom staff weapon. I thought that was pretty neat and speaks nicely for her character. That said, really didn't like the choreography of that fight scene. Felt like she should have been trying to use that blade more. The choreography made it feel amateur and intensify that "well done fanfilm" feeling.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I definitely agree with this. The transit takes mere seconds and people in transit are not even corporeal at this time. Annoying oversight.

I also have to disagree with the posted episode analysis on the main website. The author is speculating why the DHD is not dialing. My interpretation of what was happening in this scene was that Catherine pressed the first chevron, realized what it did and then was merely searching for the remaining 6 but not actually pressing the buttons on the DHD. She was not interested in dialing back home yet. This makes explaining it much easier.

I am not really impressed with the always-yellow eyes of both Goa'uld, that was never a thing before. I also really hope that Serqet is a Goa'uld and not a Jaffa because they digitally altered her voice and that shouldn't happen with a Jaffa.

I will continue to watch but I'm getting more and more frustrated with the deviations from the established universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Tyler View Post
                  I also have to disagree with the posted episode analysis on the main website. The author is speculating why the DHD is not dialing. My interpretation of what was happening in this scene was that Catherine pressed the first chevron, realized what it did and then was merely searching for the remaining 6 but not actually pressing the buttons on the DHD. She was not interested in dialing back home yet. This makes explaining it much easier.
                  That's also what it looked like to me. She didn't seem to be actually pressing any of the other symbols.

I am not really impressed with the always-yellow eyes of both Goa'uld, that was never a thing before. I also really hope that Serqet is a Goa'uld and not a Jaffa because they digitally altered her voice and that shouldn't happen with a Jaffa.
                  According to the Mission Files she is a Goa'uld as per the voice. Also, I don't actually mind the eyes. I'm not sure whether or not they're supposed to be represent the eye glowing deal. Perhaps, given the focus the Mission Files are putting to Aset's tinkering, it's some sort of contacts or something she made for them both.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Tyler View Post
                    Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    That's also what it looked like to me. She didn't seem to be actually pressing any of the other symbols.
                    I also agree! That's how I interpreted the scene myself when watching it. She just pressed the first to understand how this thing worked, and merely looked for the 6 other symbols afterwards.

And thus, proving once again the inconsistency with the fact she's not supposed to know that it takes 7 symbols to activate the gate.

Comment

According to the Mission Files she is a Goa'uld as per the voice. Also, I don't actually mind the eyes. I'm not sure whether or not they're supposed to be represent the eye glowing deal. Perhaps, given the focus the Mission Files are putting to Aset's tinkering, it's some sort of contacts or something she made for them both.
                      Her name being Serqet... I did a bit of googling on her identity according to ancient mythology. Could prove VERY interesting for what's yet to come story-wise. Some of the more complex theories advanced thus far could prove true

Comment

That said, really didn't like the choreography of that fight scene. Felt like she should have been trying to use that blade more. The choreography made it feel amateur and intensify that "well done fanfilm" feeling.
                        I agree the choreography felt really off. Like there were long delays in between movements making it very obvious that it's choreographed and not being executed well.

Also, am I the only one feeling like Catherine is being really obstinate when she should be trying to work together more with the people she's stranded with? It's like they were going for strong, smart female character, and the foundation for that is there, but she just comes across as someone who will only listen to her own ideas and plans and doesn't care about what input the others have.

Comment

Originally posted by gatearchaeologist View Post
                          Also, am I the only one feeling like Catherine is being really obstinate when she should be trying to work together more with the people she's stranded with? It's like they were going for strong, smart female character, and the foundation for that is there, but she just comes across as someone who will only listen to her own ideas and plans and doesn't care about what input the others have.
                          She sure is being a little spoiled brat

That's just how they designed the character after all... She's not a perfect human being!

Comment

Am I the only one that noticed this?
                            When they showed the temple from the outside, it looked nothing like the Abydos temple we know.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
                              Am I the only one that noticed this?
                              When they showed the temple from the outside, it looked nothing like the Abydos temple we know.
                              Either the pyradmid is not yet build, or the gate will be moved later.

Considering Abydos was first and foremost a Naquadah mine for Ra, I would imagine that the original mine ran dry, and 60 years later they are found mining another location.

Comment

Working...
                              X