X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 3 (103)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ORIGINS: CATHERINE

Catherine appeals to Captain Beal and his fellow soldier, Wasif, for help in rescuing her father. Elsewhere, Brücke experiences a close encounter he did not anticipate.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 05 February 2021, 10:57 PM.

I'm smelling a nice possible tie-in with SG-1's "The Curse", since the Goa'uld is revealed to be Isis/Aset in the Mission Files.

Comment

really? weird, but Isis is dead in the curse, put in the canopic jars with Osiris thousands of years ago??

Comment

In addition to having Isis there breaking the SG-1 canon, I think it would be very unwise to use that character in a modern production considering the current connotations of the name.

And so much for the canon. It's going to either be AU or memory wipe, if they want to call it canon. The next 70 minutes will tell, I guess.

Comment

I paid for the subscription to support but this is pretty bleh. Not because it's low budget but because the story just isn't that thrilling and is fairly generic. A short episode of sg1 or atlantis characters talking in a room would have been more entertaining even. Canon has already been ruined as well seems like they were trying to combine the movie and series ideas in to one.

The only thing I do like is the music they use as it's still they great music we came to love when watching stargate.

Comment

What makes people think it's Isis
            sigpic

Comment

Still trying to keep an open mind but I'm a little worried now she's actually gone through the Stargate. My hopes for a neater and less "mindwipey" ending have gone out the window. The Goa'uld planet set looked cheap too. The ribbon device effect also looked on the cheap end. They're showing the budget a bit.

Still gonna keep watching, though. Hopeful it'll pick up a bit more.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by rockerlad View Post
                What makes people think it's Isis
                According to the Mission Files on Stargate Command, it's not Isis, but it is Aset.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimateneeb99 View Post
                  According to the Mission Files on Stargate Command, it's not Isis, but it is Aset.
                  And according to Wikipedia, Isis/Aset is the same goddess, just a different name. Apparently Aset is her Egyptian name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis

Comment

Originally posted by Maelum View Post
                    really? weird, but Isis is dead in the curse, put in the canopic jars with Osiris thousands of years ago??
                    If my memory is correct, the assumption was that the jar was broken during transport at a later time... But reading back from transcript of "The Curse":

SARAH
                    Every member of the original expedition in 1931 died within a year of the dig. Then the ship transporting these artifacts to American sank off the coast of New Jersey six months later.
                    DANIEL
                    The Steward Expedition.
                    SARAH
                    Yes.
                    DANIEL
                    Those deaths were attributed to mold spores that were released from the unsealed chamber.
                    SARAH
                    Mold spores aren't exactly front page material.
                    DANIEL
                    No, I guess not. Er…if these things went down with the ship in 1931, how'd they wind up here?

So 1931 is still before 1939. Yeah, screw the potential tie-in I was hoping for.

And again, a continuity issue I don't see how they can resolve now, as Isis/Aset is supposed to be inside a canopic jar at the bottom of the ocean in 1939.

Comment

Since she's only called "Aset" on the show, the apparent way to reconcile this with canon is that in the Stargate universe Aset and Isis are simply two different Goa'uld -- who eventually came to be confused by Egyptian culture.

What's more intriguing to me is that, when I look up "Isis," she's depicted as holding a baby:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Isis-Egyptian-goddess

The baby depicted in this figure is Horus, who SG-1 fans will recognize as another name for Heru'ur. Teal'c identified Heru'ur as the son of Ra and Hathor ("Thor's Chariot"). But what if he was wrong about his heritage?

So my research continues with the Britannica entry on Horus:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Horus

He's associated with Ra on the one hand, and also in the story of Isis and Osiris on the other. But here's the kicker: One of many names associated with Horus (a.k.a. Heru'ur) is Harsiesis (Har-si-Ese, “Horus, Son of Isis”).

Harcesis ... "Son of Isis."

There'd been fan speculation for years that Heru'ur himself might have been a Harcesis, because Teal'c identified him as having two Goa'uld parents. If true that would mean that his Goa'uld parentage refers to his human host, and not merely his symbiote (as, say, Klorel was the "son" of Apophis and an unnamed "Queen Mother" -- possibly Amonet -- but not a Harcesis).

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                        Since she's only called "Aset" on the show, the apparent way to reconcile this with canon is that in the Stargate universe Aset and Isis are simply two different Goa'uld -- who eventually came to be confused by Egyptian culture.
                        Sure OK... There could have been confusion among the old Egyptians, or even miss-interpretation by historians who studied ancient Egypt. Or better yet, just lost in translation as it went from egyptian to Coptic, Greek and eventually the modern Isis name. I sorta can buy that, even though it sounds a bit like a scapegoat. Thanks, that helps. Not sure why writers would choose to make it look as if our History was entirely wrong on this point instead of simply following it but whatever...

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                        But what if he was wrong about his heritage?
                        Teal'c is never wrong!

Seriously though, I like this story/theory you dug up on Isis's, especially Heru'ur pedigree. Interesting speculation! Sadly it doesn't connect with anything SGO related if we accept the "Aset and Isis are simply two different Goa'uld" explanation.

Now, if only we could explain all other inconsistencies this easily

Comment

See the "Mission Files" on StargateCommand.co feeds/news. It says that the female Goa'uld is Aset and they gated to Abydos. Apparently, she's a minor Goa'uld "relaxing" on Abydos, subservient to Ra. I guess by the time SGO ends, Aset (historically aka Isis, Osiris' mate) is killed/captured by Ra with Ra fully taking control of Abydos, maybe start constructing the pyramid atop the palace (noted the missing pyramid in this episode).

Comment

Ever since I watched and re-watched Stargate series multiple times, I also (amateurishly) research real life Egyptian/Greek/Norse mythology. Based on what I roughly understand, which Egyptian gods is parents to which changes multiple times over time. This is attributed to one new cult gaining popularity over another over time and the new cult copy aspects they like of the previous god. Example are like Ra + Hathor = Horus and later changing to Isis + Osiris = Horus; cult of Anubis god of underworld losing popularity to Osiris god of underworld.

So it is merely a matter of the SG1 writers cherry picking which mythology they like to adapt for the show. Hopefully this clears up some things. Cheers.

Comment

Btw, if anyone here read the SG-1 novel "Moebius Squared", where current SG-1 meets time-stranded SG-1 from "Moebius, Part 2", stranded Teal'c and his human Egyptian girlfriend Aset flew off into the "sunset"(space) because his symbiote was the immature queen Egeria, founder of the Tok'ra. Wild theory here but could be she was captured and implanted with a new matured symbiote who took her name.

Comment

Working...
                              X