No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not interested. I'd have more fun at a Stargate convention meeting actors, sitting in on panels, and meeting fellow Stargate fans. It is strange that studios in Europe wouldn't take up the original movie from Emmerich and Devlin.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      How Tongal Works explained with a Lego project.

MGM wants you to make a video, for which you get paid 250 dollar if you're one of the 10 winners, and then they'll take full copyright of your video and you loose every right to its content. You're not allowed to use any of their material when making it, so technically speaking you also wouldn't be allowed to use replica props or whatever cause those are usually unlicensed and thus "illegal".

Basically, this is a job interview. The team behind Stargate Command already are the first group of "superfans". Most of them are professionals working as consultants for MGM. The superfans, however, will not be working for MGM so you're basically doing it for free. The first trip to the US is paid for but after that you're basically on your own.

Remember that competition where someone could win a set visit and we literally never heard a peep about that every again. Yeah, pretty much...
      This is not entirely true. In similar competitions, it's standard that the organizers can do whatever they want with whatever you send in. You will always have a copyright on the video itself, but by participating you give them permission to use it.

And you are allowed to show Stargate-related items such as replica props and artworks. In fact, it's recommended. You just aren't allowed to use anything from the shows themselves (footage, music and sound effects), and obviously nothing from any other IP.

Yes, you won't be "working" for MGM. True. But it's not like this is something new. And "the first trip to the US is paid for but after that you're basically on your own" is conjecture. There is nothing that says they won't ever organize something. So far, only that first trip is the only event known to be in the US. Not all such events will happen in the US. MGM/SGC are a lot of things, but they can't be that stupid to expect the fans to always pay a trip in full when it's not even a paid job. Even a domestic flight can be expensive for people like us.

----

Everyone is entitled to their passion and opinions. But at some point it becomes so passionate that it can cloud one's view. I know, since that has happened with me quite a few times. So I've learned to give people the benefit of the doubt and not always believe what someone else (keeps) saying.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
        It is strange that studios in Europe wouldn't take up the original movie from Emmerich and Devlin.
        What do you mean by that? You mean that some other studio and not MGM should have bought the rights in 1994/5? Then we'd never have SG-1/Atlantis/Universe. And MGM didn't buy it, Emmerich and Devlin sold it to them to make Independence Day.

Comment

Nivao -- I don't know how you interpret this passage then... if you still think the video/idea will be yours to keep and do with as you please:

** Capitals are not by me, and I'm too lazy to put it in lower letters.

4. BY SUBMITTING A VIDEO ENTRY, YOUR SUBMISSION IMMEDIATELY BECOMES THE SOLE PROPERTY OF MGM – SEE THE MGM PARTICIPATION AND SUBMITTED MATERIALS RELEASE FOR MORE DETAILS ABOUT OWNERSHIP OF ENTRIES. YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO PUBLICLY SHARE OR PUBLISH YOUR SUBMISSION IN ANY MANNER AND YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO POST OR UPLOAD YOUR SUBMISSION TO ANY WEBSITE OR VIDEO HOSTING SITE (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE OR VIMEO), WITHOUT THE PRIOR EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF MGM. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS REQUIREMENT MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION OF YOUR ENTRY IN THE PROJECT.

5. MGM WILL OWN AND HAVE THE RIGHT AND OPTION TO USE ANY AND ALL IDEAS AND OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN YOUR SUBMISSION. IF YOU ARE A WINNER, IN CONSIDERATION OF MGM'S PAYMENT TO YOU OF THE $250 PRIZE, MGM MAY USE ALL IDEAS AND OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN YOUR SUBMISSION. IF YOU ARE NOT A WINNER AND MGM USES ONE OR MORE IDEAS OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN YOUR SUBMISSION, YOU WILL BE ENTITLED TO A ONE-TIME PAYMENT OF $250 FROM MGM. MGM MAY CHOOSE TO HAVE A THIRD PARTY MAKE THE PAYMENT TO YOU. NEITHER MGM NOR TONGAL WILL BE OBLIGATED TO CREDIT OR COMPENSATE YOU IN ANY OTHER WAY IN CONNECTION WITH ANY USE OF YOUR SUBMISSION (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IDEA OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY THEREIN).
          Originally posted by nivao View Post
          Everyone is entitled to their passion and opinions. But at some point it becomes so passionate that it can cloud one's view. I know, since that has happened with me quite a few times. So I've learned to give people the benefit of the doubt and not always believe what someone else (keeps) saying.
          So basically, "Shut up, Falcon!" ... There's an ignore-feature, I suggest you use it if I'm bothering you with my innate pessimism towards MGM and Stargate Command. After all, they've done nothing yet to proof the opposite is true.

What do you mean by that? You mean that some other studio and not MGM should have bought the rights in 1994/5? Then we'd never have SG-1/Atlantis/Universe. And MGM didn't buy it, Emmerich and Devlin sold it to them to make Independence Day.
          Stargate (1994) is partly owned by Studio Canal -- perhaps that's what he meant.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So basically, "Shut up, Falcon!" ... There's an ignore-feature, I suggest you use it if I'm bothering you with my innate pessimism towards MGM and Stargate Command. After all, they've done nothing yet to proof the opposite is true.
            No, no, please no. That's not what I meant. I don't want you to shut up. I just meant to try and see it from a different perspective rather than always expecting the worst. Expecting the worst can work, but can also work counter intuitively.

Stargate (1994) is partly owned by Studio Canal -- perhaps that's what he meant.
            This is a tricky thing. I think indeed the movie itself is partially owned by Studio Canal, with apparently (I read it somewhere a long time ago) Lionsgate owning the international distribution rights (with MGM owning the domestic distribution rights), like 20th Century Fox having (or had) the international distribution rights to at least SG-1 and Atlantis. But the rights to the Stargate IP have been sold to and are owned by MGM exclusively. Studio Canal is not a production company as far as I know, so wouldn't have been able to develop anything.

Comment

You've been misinformed about how the original movie was shown in the US. Emmerich and Devlin had to give up all rights to a major US studio at the time which still is MGM. Second point, since the movie was mainly produced outside the US, there's the aspect of studios belonging to a gov't entity not like a private company. This is a reflection of the late 1980's early 1990's in reference to the Stargate film being produced. In 1994, Paramount had the first of the Star trek Next Generation movies out and Paramount didn't want Stargate.

Comment

No, no, please no. That's not what I meant. I don't want you to shut up. I just meant to try and see it from a different perspective rather than always expecting the worst. Expecting the worst can work, but can also work counter intuitively.
                Okay... it seems I really needed that afternoon siesta... all is forgotten...

This is a tricky thing. I think indeed the movie itself is partially owned by Studio Canal, with apparently (I read it somewhere a long time ago) Lionsgate owning the international distribution rights (with MGM owning the domestic distribution rights), like 20th Century Fox having (or had) the international distribution rights to at least SG-1 and Atlantis. But the rights to the Stargate IP have been sold to and are owned by MGM exclusively. Studio Canal is not a production company as far as I know, so wouldn't have been able to develop anything.
                Well, I know, for sure, Fox has DVD distribution rights for it. They are on all my DVD boxes for Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                  You've been misinformed about how the original movie was shown in the US. Emmerich and Devlin had to give up all rights to a major US studio at the time which still is MGM. Second point, since the movie was mainly produced outside the US, there's the aspect of studios belonging to a gov't entity not like a private company. This is a reflection of the late 1980's early 1990's in reference to the Stargate film being produced. In 1994, Paramount had the first of the Star trek Next Generation movies out and Paramount didn't want Stargate.
                  I don't know where you get your information, or how such a thing actually works, but I know what I know from research, interviews and BTS stuff. When you make a movie and don't have the money to pay for it yourself, you make a deal with a bigger production company. In the case of the original movie, those companies involved were MGM/UA and Carolco, in addition to Emmerich's own Centropolis. Those companies can then make deals with distribution companies, unrelated to the actual production, and the movie was distributed outside the US (at least in Europe) by Studio Canal.

The movie was also produced entirely in the US: in Yuma for the desert scenes, Long Beach, California for all interior scenes (a giant former airship hangar), and Los Angeles Park Plaza Hotel for Daniel's lecture. Other elements, such as visual effects and set and prop design, were done mostly in-house or by other US-based companies.

Subsequently, once the film was released, Emmerich and Devlin got the idea for Independence Day during a promotion for Stargate in Germany (I think it was Germany), according to an interview. In order to finance it they decided to sell all rights to the Stargate IP to MGM, which then allowed MGM to develop the television franchise (they later felt that they made a mistake as they apparently wanted to make a trilogy from the beginning). So, as I said before, MGM didn't buy it, Emmerich and Devlin sold it to them. So if you argue that MGM should not have gotten the rights to Stargate, then you can't blame MGM for that. And a European company would not have gotten them at all, since no European company was involved in the production, only distribution.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Well.... I was excited about this Superfan content until I haven't read FH's comments about it. And she was right again. And again. And again.

It would be a dream job for me to be part of the creative team of the merchandise or the future SG projects. But somehow I have felt they are rather looking for SG con hosts or maybe some testers instead of real influence. Since I don't live in the USA, I doubt I will participitate.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        Well.... I was excited about this Superfan content until I haven't read FH's comments about it. And she was right again. And again. And again.
                        Don't base your opinion on my comments alone. I'm biased one way.

Go take in the sights at Tongal. I don't know what the sights say on Stargate Command or in the email ScifiGirlSG mentioned. Didn't you also get the mail.

I unsubscribed a long time ago so I'm not in their mailinglist so I don't know what they say in there, and I haven't been round the SGC since I went dorment a couple of days ago.

Comment

I have just read the details on Tongal. They keep the right to not announce any winner. Meh. So what do they want? Somehow it feels like they are recruiting moderators / con leaders? Has CJ left this sunken ship? Or do they believe it is so easy to recruit "free" slaves? Because it seems they are looking for people, who will work for them, but there set so many conditions already that it kills every joy or enthusiasm and definately any individual opinion or taste.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

My opinion...this is not Stargate
                            testing to see if this will work embedded from original email...
                            https://tongal.com/StargateSuperfanPanel#/tab-brief

*MGM looking for a new millennial crop of writers, digital special FX, CGI, general filming production?*

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              I have just read the details on Tongal. They keep the right to not announce any winner. Meh. So what do they want? Somehow it feels like they are recruiting moderators / con leaders? Has CJ left this sunken ship? Or do they believe it is so easy to recruit "free" slaves? Because it seems they are looking for people, who will work for them, but there set so many conditions already that it kills every joy or enthusiasm and definately any individual opinion or taste.
                              I think the moderators is a little too late. They should have done that from the start and made the message feed a proper forum. But that's water under the bridge.

The Stargate Command team of 4 or 5 people -- don't know for sure, I think it's 4 -- are all people who have experience in entertainment and fandoms. At least 3 of them are stargate fans, and 2 are familiar/part of Gateworld (1 used to work for Gateworld, or still does, I don't know).

So, they are basically -- from what I can gather -- looking for a "volunteers" to help out with the goings of Stargate Command and to expand the reach at conventions, like that UK convention in October which Jenny and the dude from YT viewings attended as guests to talk Command, I reckon.

The problem, of course, with "worldwide" for me, is that anyone outside of the 6 countries would in essence be working for the benefite of those countries without having access to all that exclusive content.

Now, don't get me wrong, I admire Nivao and others who are gearing up to enter, for their efforts to want to make a change maybe, and I will support the lot of you who take the plunge. I'm just nog convinced this is in the interest of all stargate fans, much like Command isn't a fan community for all fans.

But if Nivao can change that, I am more than eager to help him achieve that. I am #TeamNivao.

Comment

I think the moderators is a little too late. They should have done that from the start and made the message feed a proper forum. But that's water under the bridge.

The Stargate Command team of 4 or 5 people -- don't know for sure, I think it's 4 -- are all people who have experience in entertainment and fandoms. At least 3 of them are stargate fans, and 2 are familiar/part of Gateworld (1 used to work for Gateworld, or still does, I don't know).

So, they are basically -- from what I can gather -- looking for a "volunteers" to help out with the goings of Stargate Command and to expand the reach at conventions, like that UK convention in October which Jenny and the dude from YT viewings attended as guests to talk Command, I reckon.

The problem, of course, with "worldwide" for me, is that anyone outside of the 6 countries would in essence be working for the benefite of those countries without having access to all that exclusive content.

Now, don't get me wrong, I admire Nivao and others who are gearing up to enter, for their efforts to want to make a change maybe, and I will support the lot of you who take the plunge. I'm just nog convinced this is in the interest of all stargate fans, much like Command isn't a fan community for all fans.

But if Nivao can change that, I am more than eager to help him achieve that. I am #TeamNivao.
                                Well, thank you for your confidence

And don't get me wrong either. I am sceptical about this and will remain so. But it has also been my experience that when an opportunity arises, you either take it or be left wondering what it could have been like. None of us know precisely what it entails. We can speculate about it, but it won't really help. I will always remain sceptical about anything that MGM or SGC does with Stargate, until they have somehow, miraculously, done some things we global fans actually like.

Maybe it's wishful thinking. Maybe it's nothing like how I picture it. Scratch that, it'll definitely never be like how I picture it. But it's a rare opportunity with at least some potential. And if turns out it's nothing, I could always quit. But if there is any chance it can help, I'll take it.

Comment

Working...
                                X