No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No perks that I've seen, but I'm kinda convinced that there's barely anyone running the place nowadays. There's only been a couple of quiz/article updates this month, no new "controlled discussion" since SDCC, and they haven't done a "Wormhole Wednesday" episode airing on YouTube since early summer. I hear their Twitter is still active, but that doesn't take much. So, who knows?

Comment

Yikes...

Their twitter is "active". They hardly post anything.
      They like a little each day, and reply to 1 or 2 posts perhaps... depends on the post.

But I wouldn't call it very engaging or active. I guess, we can say the experiment failed?
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yep. I haven't visited them for weeks and I haven't logged in since June. Maybe the local community will cry back my daily or weekly quiz activities, but the leadership will never admit such things....
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I have just checked some exact numbers on FaceBook :
          - Stargate movie has got 499 000 followers
          - Stargate SG1 has got 1.1 million followers
          - Stargate Atlantis has got 605 000 followers
          - Stargate Universe has got 446 000 followers
          - Stargate Infinity has got 132 followers (!)
          - Stargate Command has got 294 000 followers
          Most of the fans don't know about the existence of the application at all. And so many fans don't click on every SG show anyway (like me). Just it is interesting to see these numbers as it clearly shows the rank of the shows in comparsion to each other. Star Wars has got "only" 19 million followers. But even 1.1 million people for the SG-1 are not enough when we can see that millions of people follow celebrities on Instagram. Somehow tv shows are not advertised / connected enough with the fans on FaceBook. Most of my friends use FB for personal communication anyway. Maybe it is getting too old style next to Twitter and Snapchat, but Stargate or any future Stargate show could or shall I say should expand on this platform. But the app also exists, so I am guessing they won't push their FB presence as it is a competitor to the SG:C. If you could get free videos, pictures or new materials on FB then why would you go the app? The other sad fact is that this roughly 300 000 followers include those people who are closed out of it, so the paying customers must be even less.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It should be noted that the official SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe pages are in fact managed by Stargate Command.

However, you can't add those followers up with one another because it doesn't show double membership.

However, the fact remains indeed that there are a lot of people out there who have no clue the app even exists, but that's nothing new. Their marketing is severaly lacking in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
              Don't sell it short though. More recently I got in contact with a lot of people who know and play RPGs, and a lot of them very well know the Stargate RPG, even if they're not a fan of the shows or have never played it.

Moreover, the chances that MGM is behind this move is very very slim. It's more fair to assume it was Wyvern Gaming themselves who wanted to create the RPG and approached MGM to license it, as with the comics. MGM then merely licensed the IP to them, likely through that licensing company whatever its name is. It is then entirely up to Wyvern to fund, develop, and publish it. They in return pay royalties to MGM for the license. That is how a lot of licensing works, and that is also what happened with Star Trek Adventures, the recent Star Trek RPG.

For STA, they had to come up with funding (using Kickstarter), they had to develop it, with of course some influence from CBS to make sure the license is used properly and with some creative consultation, and they published it themselves. This is actually a good thing for Stargate, and something I hope will happen a lot more. MGM can just license it out and let the people that do care take care of everything with less "risk" to MGM (as long as they get the royalties). In all honesty, that's fine by me. At least it's better than leaving everything to MGM.
              RPG's strangely enough are going under a resurgence at this point in time. D&D5e, the rise of actors and directors willing to talk about their "geeky childhood" have normalized them to a degree. In addition, the sheer -connection- you get with other players if you play in a traditional table format fills a void that many people feel in our increasingly disconnected world.
              Given that RPG's rose in the shadow of the cold war, under a cloud of outright hate from the religious conservative movement, perhaps it's not so strange, just another bit of history repeating itself.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                Moreover, the chances that MGM is behind this move is very very slim. It's more fair to assume it was Wyvern Gaming themselves who wanted to create the RPG and approached MGM to license it, as with the comics. MGM then merely licensed the IP to them, likely through that licensing company whatever its name is. It is then entirely up to Wyvern to fund, develop, and publish it. They in return pay royalties to MGM for the license.
                Wyvern indeed went to MGM and pitched them the RPG idea. They were granted a license.
                Kickstarter campaign is probably starting up in February 2020.

Iposted an interview with them with geeknative in the RPG thread.

Comment

??? Let it be peace, gaters. There is no need to argue. Rather try to support the RPG book with some ideas, questions in the other thread. This one should be kept for hopeless projects...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Wyvern indeed went to MGM and pitched them the RPG idea. They were granted a license.
                    Kickstarter campaign is probably starting up in February 2020.

Iposted an interview with them with geeknative in the RPG thread.
                    Yeah, I read that interview. I'm not too excited about the "narrative" they are going for though. It's even implied that with the kind of "default setting" they are going for, you won't be able to play as Tau'ri, but rather only as alien members of an even more secret sub-organization of the SGC called "Stargate Phoenix" (so Jaffa, Nox, non-Earth humans, and a new one designed for the game). Of course, that's just the defaults and you can make any game you want. So as long as the system contains rules for Earth equipment (weapons, armor, gadgets), then you can use stats for "alien" humans to still create Tau'ri characters.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG
                      I've been with GateWorld too long to be called a liar.
                      Err... who called you a liar?

Or is there a "rest of conversation" missing?

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/...december-2019/

Well... It was expected. And they can blame only themselves.

Comment

It's gold, just gold.

Somehow I feel relieved. I don't know why, and the future probably won't get any brighter.

Comment

Well, buh bye.

Comment

I am neither happy nor sad. They have managed to kill my emotional connection to the app in May.I believe that was the real end of the app and then the rest was just an intensive agony.

But I still love Stargate, I still want more spin-off just not with this leadershipand their non existing user friendly attitude. Let's say it, their business plan experiment has failed. I hate when I am right, but I was right about it. We will see what the future holds, but I am guessing this was a new nail in the sarcophagus of the Stargate franchise.

Comment

lol From the letter:
                                We’ve learned that while you’ve supported our platform and mission, you prefer to engage with the franchise and fellow fans on communities where you already are: Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
                                It’s not like they gave us a choice when they changed the format.
                                They took away our voices then.

Well, on the bright side it appears all the new stuff like Dialing Home and such will finally be available worldwide on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X