MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Had a gaming laptop for years. Works just fine.

Played Space Engineers, but has it ever become a game? Because every time i played it, it was a barebones "ship designer" with some exploration, but otherwise had little gameplay going for it.
    Well they added pirates that can attack you, which are actually pretty tough adversaries. Their spawn rates is quite random though. They added a campaign mode too.

I'll admit this game is mainly focused on building ships. But, there are tons of mods out there are many people that completely changed the game.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

So MGM tweets about Stargate, that's got to mean something...
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Will they be on SDCC? Maybe they will announce the next Origins story in July.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          So MGM tweets about Stargate, that's got to mean something...
          Of course, it's about making 20 dollars per download. Cash in! That's called a commercial tweet.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            Will they be on SDCC? Maybe they will announce the next Origins story in July.
            No idea, but when they do, they can stick it where Ra doesn't shine. Like I've said before, I'm not sticking around for it.
            Stargate is dead, and will still be dead long after.

What I will do, is finally complete my Atlantis DVD's, buy both SG-1 films, add SGU season 1 and 2, and sample Infinity. And if I can find a "download" of Origins -- get it and watch it too.

Comment

I really don't get all the negativity. I don't have it myself but i can understand being unhappy with some aspects of the SGC site and how that's been done, although we don't know the reasons being not having have it available everywhere (and i think just assuming it's some sort of purposely negative detrimental choice is a bit much), but Origins was and still is the biggest chance of there being more Stargate without it being a reboot. If the show has been a success like the quotes here suggest, then there's far more chance of Stargate returning properly than there was just a year ago. Even just something like MGM occasionally putting episodes on Youtube for a while is a step in the right direction, especially compared to the 5+ years of silence since SGU ended.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                ...although we don't know the reasons being not having have it available everywhere...
                Broadcasting rights and licensing, but putting the episodes on YouTube completely blows that theory out of the water (since they are literally international viewing allowed). Plus, they also don't apply to Stargate Origins which is a webseries and not bound by TV-channel rules.

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                ...Origins was and still is the biggest chance of there being more Stargate without it being a reboot.
                No, Origins shows MGM that the "fans" are quite happy with the format and that they can continue this format with a similar budget, and don't have to worry about finding a broadcaster to put it in their schedule. They don't need a Syfy Channel or Star, or Hulu or Netflix to put it in their line-up. They just make more webisodes and put those up on their own streaming service -- could continue to be Command --, limit the audience and then expect everyone else to pay the same price for when they decide to put it on "major digital platforms".

Alienate the fans, and then expect them to come crawling back because it says "stargate" on the sticker. That might work on some people, but certainly not on this one (i.e. me).

Comment

What he wanted to say that we understand and appreciate your opinion, but please don't try to make everyone else be angry towards to MGM and/or the franchise. I believe you still love this scifi realm, so you can hate MGM as much as you want, but your protest won't achieve anything. It feels it became your personal crusade or vendetta, but it is pointless as you will hurt only those people here, who can't do anything against the MGM's decision. Sorry.

Darrell still hasn't put any news on the GW about the SGO:C.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Don't worry -- MGM will likely keep you happy. You're a valued member of their limited fan community.
                    Thanks! I love to hear how valued I am!
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

What he wanted to say that we understand and appreciate your opinion, but please don't try to make everyone else be angry towards to MGM and/or the franchise. I believe you still love this scifi realm, so you can hate MGM as much as you want, but your protest won't achieve anything. It feels it became your personal crusade or vendetta, but it is pointless as you will hurt only those people here, who can't do anything against the MGM's decision. Sorry.
                      At least, I'm being realistic. If MGM thinks they can get away with cheap budget continuations then that's exactly what the future of stargate is going to be like.

I'm not kidding myself into believing that they want more out of this, or finish Stargate Universe, because that's what a lot of fans want to see. Or hope for.

Darrell still hasn't put any news on the GW about the SGO:C.
                      Does he need to?

There's an interview coming with the actress who played Aset -- which is basically Isis.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                      Thanks! I love to hear how valued I am!
                      You're welcome.

Comment

Hope the quality will increase in the next SG project. If we get something in the next few years at all. And they really have to work on the extended services of the Stargate : Command....

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          At least, I'm being realistic. If MGM thinks they can get away with cheap budget continuations then that's exactly what the future of stargate is going to be like.

I'm not kidding myself into believing that they want more out of this, or finish Stargate Universe, because that's what a lot of fans want to see. Or hope for.
                          I don't think you're being realistic, though. It seems to me like you've narrowed your view on this down to an unrealistically negative outlook; if Origins had been a failure then that would almost certainly be the end of Stargate as we know it, whereas if Origins had been a success (which based on the posts here it has been) than they'll just keep making more low-budget stuff. With that view on it either way the outcome is bad and there's no chance of that leading to anything worthwhile.

There isn't anything to suggest they'll just keep making more low-budget stuff and that's it, though. Origins might have worked this time despite the quality, but it was the first new Stargate thing in years, people were obviously a bit more forgiving with it than they would usually be. This leading to bigger shows isn't just down to people's hopes, it's makes sense that as a business they'd want to capitalize on their success and turn it into even more success rather than just going "That profit we got from that small thing is good enough, we don't want the chance to make more" or "We know this did well but lets not bother doing much with Stargate again now we know it could work". Just look back at what this entire thread is about in the first place; MGM said they're considering re-opening the franchise. The context of what Chris said infers that despite Origins being made, to them that isn't bringing back Stargate fully and that doing so depends on the success of Origins/SGC. Origins was a test to see how well more Stargate could do, it made sense that they didn't want to go all the way with budget or expensive production values because it would have been a pretty big risk if it didn't work out. They now have more reason to take that risk and invest more.

I'm not so much expecting that this will lead to a big show or anything like that, i haven't convinced myself that's going to happen for sure - but that doesn't change that Origins was and still is the first real chance we've had of getting more Stargate again in the past 6 or so years.
                          Last edited by TheVoidDragon; 20 June 2018, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I believe they will order a new "chapter" of Origins. Maybe they will announce at the San Diege Comic Con in July. That is the biggest con on the world, so that would be logical to make an announcement there. So if they could shoot it in September-Decembet than maybe we could have a premiere in January-February in 2019. And maybe we would get more SG materials in 2019-2020. They should really call back Brad Wright and RCC to produce a pilot story for a new SG spinoff what could be extended into a mini-serries later. Or if they could make a little cross-over story with old characters while they would introduce a new potential main character for a future spinoff.

Comment

Hope the quality will increase in the next SG project. If we get something in the next few years at all. And they really have to work on the extended services of the Stargate : Command....
                              The problem with that is, if you can achieve the goal you wanted with "low" quality, why try to make it better? That will only cost more and if most people are content with what they get, there is no need to change that. With time that might even become the new standard for SG

Comment

Well... You are right about the quality. I can only hope that MGM will invest again. I still believe in this franchise as it has got so much potential. It could easily maintain 2-3 or even more spinoffs and/or an anthology type of SG tv movie series. Technology reached that level they could make easily digital backgrounds and sets, so try to imagine how many strange and interesting new worlds and races could be discovered. I could even imagine the SG as a bigger budget movie franchise too. People needs such action-fantasy-scifi-adventure type movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X