No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowing how fast a show can go from greenlight to production, this is getting really frustrating.

Theyre focusing too much on hype and platform building, when they should put most of their efforts on an actual quality series. Either do it or dont and be upfront about it. Say "Were working on a new series and this is our timeline. Its happenning" and just make it happen already. For Ba'al sake, its been 6 months since the twitter campaign.

They are taking us for granted and i hate that. There are tons of great shows out there, better ones announced and being planned (star wars, star trek, lord of the rings, GoT spinoff, etc) with crazy budgets and great actors.

We cant watch everything, at least i cant. So when they finally decide to bring it back, it might be too late for a lot of average viewers to get interested in this new Stargate. Especially if its not up to snuff. And some long time fans, like me, might just decide we have better things to watch first.

Comment

Now they have managed to take down all the SG-1 / Atlantis / Universe episodes. What a disappointment! Seriously they have fooled the US fans, who have already renewed the service in the last 2 weeks. While the other 5 countries can also not watch it at the moment, while they can renew it only after September 21th. I don't know what is going on, but this whole managament is really amateurish as they should have made a statement : "service won't be available for a few days until next update or financial year". Simply you can't fool your paying customers (if they were lucky enough to be in the lucky 6 countries), because it will create just negative feedbacks. I also won't renew it in the UK as long as the episodes won't be available again. I have got all DVDs and extras at home, so if new Origins or spinoff or Jaffa story is not announced then why would I do it? I know it is only 20 dollars and I have said a few times that is a price of two pizzas and every fan should be able to afford 1-2 dollars / month, but simply this managament style is beyond disappointing. No clear communication, useless uninformative con panels, misleading promises. We deserve better treatment, sorry.
      Last edited by Platschu; 18 September 2018, 12:25 PM.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Also the fact that management of the SGC is playing monopoly on censorship internally. I think I was censored twice on an official post from SGC. One time it was the article on the interview of the Egyptologist who helped translate for the show. I said something funny, but not insulting in any ways and got censored promptly. Only generic brainless bot style comments remained, such as : ''Wow Great interview!'' ''Nice read!'' ''Awesome interview, would rate 9/10'' ''we love you stargate!'' ''I will get myself a tattoo of the SGC App, such nice menus and color themes!'' ''Man I love Origins so much I'm moving to Egypt!''

Another time I think I said something like Hey this guy looks like a chubby Jackson and got either down voted to oblivion or censored again. Also saw at the time a few comments from FH disappearing on the platform.

Worst. Platform. Ever.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Well. I am still there. I have made 230+ posts, just because I try to entertain the people with my "stargate travel quiz". I don't know if counts as spamming or not, just I have seen these lovely planet photos about past adventures and I realized how much I love and loved this franchise.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            Thanks for the links. I have no idea now what is all-access and what isn't and why have they changed it halfway through the weekend. I am guessing more videos will be uploaded here and on the SG:C. Have we got one for the Brad Wright panel? The September 15th has got only the SG:C panel.
            Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            FH: What is this TopFan? Are they the same with Tongal? I am confused, but your copied paragraph are a disgrace how they want to pass the flock of fans. Meh.
            They are the company to whom the platform, on which the SGC app is build, belongs. They are the company who build the template which MGM pays good money for to bring you the SGC and everything on it.

From the SGC's website-code: app-assets.top-fan.com

The official TopFan company website: TopFan | Fan Community Engagement & OTT Direct Content Distribution

You should read their Fan Relationship Management page -- it's rather fascinating how they "use" you in a way.

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
            And some long time fans, like me, might just decide we have better things to watch first.
            Already made that choice -- bring on the next season of Star Trek Discovery.
            Stargate, what stargate?

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            Another time I think I said something like Hey this guy looks like a chubby Jackson and got either down voted to oblivion or censored again. Also saw at the time a few comments from FH disappearing on the platform.
            Really? I had no idea.

I do know I'm not a very well liked character on the platform, more often ignored or downvoted for several reasons, some legit others just because. And I was reported a lot over the course of the beginning months when I was too vocal about the all-access limitations. There was modly intervention which was promptly cut off in April on their side, somewhere around the time the first extension occured, like someone had been told to stop corresponding with this nuisance.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              You should read their Fan Relationship Management page -- it's rather fascinating how they "use" you in a way.
              I will just copy it here as a warning :

Own Your Fan

The interactive fan communities generate massive amounts of detailed data. Unlike your page on the social networks, you will own this data forever. Capture demographic data including email addresses, genders, ages, and geographic locations. You’ll also capture psychographic data including a fan’s interests and opinions, and even their merchandise purchasing history.

Personalized Fan Experience

The Fan Relationship Management® system automatically learns each individual fan’s specific preferences and then tailors the content that fan sees in the community, so they will come back daily to get fresh content that they want to receive.

Action the Data

Use the Fan Relationship Management® interface to view your fan data, and build groups of similar fans based on specific demographic and psychographic criteria. Then send fans specific marketing messages or invitations using push notifications and emails.
              This marketing strategy is outrageous and disgusting. And they even write it down. No regrets, no hiding, nothing.
              Last edited by Platschu; 18 September 2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

When you sign up, always read the small print, the FAQ, the TOS and the PP. That way, you can't be surprised later.

I read all of it, front to back, and back to front. Researched the firm that build the website and app, and had a hard time imagining them merging their datamining activities with the European GDPR rules which they are required to follow since the UK and Germany are part of the European Union.

Comment

Guys let's be real, this kind of marketing is everywhere nowadays. The only difference now is that they have to tell you.

FYI your smartphone listens to you all the time. Guess I'll go craft myself a tinfoil hat, see ya later.
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Guys let's be real, this kind of marketing is everywhere nowadays. The only difference now is that they have to tell you.
                    You'd be surprised about that. In Europe we have the GDPR which explicitely dictates to companies that they have to warn or tell you that you could be or will be tracked. You have the option to opt in or out, at your own choice. You can ask a company to hand you all the details they have on you.

The LA Times for example has chosen to not bother with European privacy laws so any European IP is blocked from their website. There are a couple of other websites that are no longer accessible for European IP's since the GDPR went into effect in May.

I could send Stargate Command support a mail, asking them to list all the information they have on me. They are bound by law to do so.

California has a similar privacy law and is even mentioned separetely on the privacy agreement. The rest of the US has different privacy laws in place which do not actually explicitely ask the company to inform you what you sign up to or what data they'll be sharing with third parties or mine themselves.

Comment

@FH Of course and its a good thing they do now. I was merely responding to Plat's comment:

This marketing strategy is outrageous and disgusting. And they even write it down. No regrets, no hiding, nothing.
                      Literally almost every companies do that, have been doing it for a LONG time and some have their business model centered around it. My point was that they just didn't tell you before, and shared the data with their business partners. Its a good thing that laws are changing now though.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Literally almost every companies do that, have been doing it for a LONG time and some have their business model centered around it. My point was that they just didn't tell you before, and shared the data with their business partners. Its a good thing that laws are changing now though.
                        As far as TopFan's model goes, this was known when Stargate Command first saw the light of day, but back then I was told to go take a hike when I dared to mention it.

Comment

Well, looks like the divide will continu to be bigger and wider. Was reading the FAQ, which a lot of the whiners should really do cause damn it never said lifetime.

You're in luck Platschu -- when they finally get to that Tongal-thing, it's for all-access members only.

What do I get for purchasing the All-Access Pass?

* Stream the ultimate STARGATE library including all episodes of Origins, SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, as well as all three movies; Stargate (1994), Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008), and Stargate: Continuum (2008).

* Experience classic stories via curated arcs and integrated content along with the ultimate Stargate library.

* Gain access to our comprehensive library of classic and NEW digital comics and E-Books (coming soon!).

* Participate in the making of fan-driven content (coming soon!).

Their "free" front is literally worth less than nothing basically.

Comment

To be honest, I'm in the camp of 'nothing to fear' in that type of data collection. You are volunteering information into the system by using it, and that information is used to tune the system to make it better for you as well as better for its owners. There's no value in targeting the 1, only in understanding how behavior fits people into groups or types, so that the system can be adjusted to those types.

And don't quote Cambridge Analytica here -- that's a vastly different beast -- where they used person X's stupidity to target all the friends of person X, because person X willingly gave them all their friends identities.

The bigger issue here is more a case of 'why on Earth should one bother with the platform, when it's a constant history of broken promises' -- if they really want people to use it, then give them something of value! Their target audience likely has the entire Stargate library anyway, so what's the point?

MGM need to go in big, or get out, like CBS All-Access are doing, like Disney are doing. Invest in a high quality catalog of new material that is streaming only, and then charge people for it. Not a glorified fanfic like Origins, and a crappy thin veneer on a marketing platform that is SGC.

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post
                              The bigger issue here is more a case of 'why on Earth should one bother with the platform, when it's a constant history of broken promises' -- if they really want people to use it, then give them something of value! Their target audience likely has the entire Stargate library anyway, so what's the point?

MGM need to go in big, or get out, like CBS All-Access are doing, like Disney are doing. Invest in a high quality catalog of new material that is streaming only, and then charge people for it. Not a glorified fanfic like Origins, and a crappy thin veneer on a marketing platform that is SGC.
                              Word.

Also agreed with the datamining part.

Comment

I'm a tad late on this news but RDA said he is willing to do more Stargate? He seemed motivated to lose weight as well if he was contacted by Brad, wouldn't that be awesome?
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X