Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Quote Originally Posted by planet_tv View Post
    Regarding spoilers for that, I really don't go looking for them, so if I see one I see one, but I can understand those not wanting to see spoilers.
    Neither am I but trying to avoid them is impossible... even Gateworld spoils, but apparently that's out of their hands. They break their own rules for MGM and Command.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 5 of SG-1

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

I have just watched the new Lost in space trailer which comes in April on Netflix :
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmM0AB60QQ
    I am glad to see non humanoid aliens and a high concept scifi on tv, but it also means a future SG spinoff has more competativefor audience and they have to improve if the want to impress new people. Netflix has really raised the quality high with this show, Altered Carbon and Star Trek : Discovery, so while I am enjoying these scifi shows, I started to get worried about the future of Stargate. If they order a new spinoff, they really have to invest much more (locations, special effects), so no more pine trees around Vancouver I am afraid. Maybe I am a bit silly to worry in advance, because earlier we haven't had any hope for a new SG movie / miniseries / spinoff, but I really want to see a succesfull and glorious return. I would be heart brokened again, if they order a new spinoff then it would be cancelled after the first season.

I saw the trailer for Lost In Space as well, and it looks visually stunning -- movie-quality stunning.

And every entertainment company knows that if you want your show to survive the scrutiny of your audience, you have to put in the money and time to create the best possible end product. If MGM is truly committed to more Stargate (and not just for a select few), then I'm sure they would be willing to make that investment, but they have to be sure they get a return on that investment (and they have kept the study pool deliberately small so I don't know if that's gonna give them enough of an indication to make it work).
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Lost in Space will have only 10 episodes and nothing more. It's a miniseries. There's nothing to worry about, because Stargate is a class apart. It's nothing like Altered Carbon, Star Trek Discovery or any other sci-fi show out there. It doesn't need fancy multi-million dollar visual effects and well-known actors. They didn't need it before, they don't need it now. They just need to stick to what made Stargate its own thing in the first place and not follow what everyone else is doing. On that part SGU did good; they had good visual effects, good (or at least reasonable) actors with some recognition (Robert Carlyle in particular). It just missed some of the core elements of Stargate. That, and SyFy sabotaged it and Atlantis, in my opinion.

MGM just needs to do better than with Origins, that's all, and it certainly isn't representative of the franchise as a whole or what the future would bring.

It also needs to be remembered that Stargate never had a big budget, even compared to other popular shows at the time. And in my opinion they spent it well. Sure, most planets look similar since it was all filmed in British Columbia. Sure some actors reappeared in different roles. Some plot holes with reused visual effect shots. But it isn't always about the visuals. It's about the characters and what they experience. Despite the DVD quality, and the clear aging of the actors, I think Stargate SG-1 is aging well. It was filmed in widescreen from the start (one of the first TV shows to do that), it used a lot of practical effects as much as possible (scale models, pyrotechnics, etc.) and had some good production design for sets, props, and costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by nivao View Post
    MGM just needs to do better than with Origins, that's all, and it certainly isn't representative of the franchise as a whole or what the future would bring.

It also needs to be remembered that Stargate never had a big budget, even compared to other popular shows at the time. And in my opinion they spent it well. Sure, most planets look similar since it was all filmed in British Columbia. Sure some actors reappeared in different roles. Some plot holes with reused visual effect shots. But it isn't always about the visuals. It's about the characters and what they experience. Despite the DVD quality, and the clear aging of the actors, I think Stargate SG-1 is aging well. It was filmed in widescreen from the start (one of the first TV shows to do that), it used a lot of practical effects as much as possible (scale models, pyrotechnics, etc.) and had some good production design for sets, props, and costumes.
    What I meant but not in as many words, and I LOVE practical effects, as much as I like computer generated effects (I did a special effects course once so obviously I'm in love with particles) but practical effects are just that more awesome because they require just that little bit more effort. [edit] It's more hands on.

Well, you have a point and I can accept it. But... 20 years have passed. A new generation of scifi fans have grown up. They can see so many average or good or excellent scifi on television nowadays, that if we want to make thenew viewers sit down to watch SG then they have to show something new. It is sad that less than 1 million people watched SG:A and SG:U out of 300+ millions in the USA, while we used to reach 500 000-800 000 people out of 10 million in Hungary. Simply nostalgy won't revive or financially successful the new SG spinoff if it happens. Probably it is a hard question for MGM what to do : canon or reboot. Some people can be simply scarred away that they are not willimg to watch a new show what is based on 17 earlier seasons. Old viewers won't be enough either. 20 years habe passed as I said before, so not only the actors, but the fans became older too. They got degree, work, marriage, child(ren). So even if they love Stargate it doesn't mean that they can watch it live nowadays as they used to do it.

I really hope MGM (and Netflix hopefully) will invest more into this franchise. But not just tv shows, we need computer games, merchandise products. Computer games could gain new audience, while they could easily make some SG-1 / Atlantis / Universe stories. Motion capture, voice acting... The technology is there, but probably such games like Uncharted would cost more than the episodes... I absolutely loved Claudia Black in the last one and even her face expressions could be discovered on her character. It is worth of checking it on youtube and watch it as game movie. The main advantage of a "game episode" would be that they can show exotic words, races while it is not so tiring for the actors. Or they should re-make the Stargate:Worlds or use those ideas in the new SG spinoff.

Maybe the best way would be a completly new spinoff with new cast and a new tone while they can order an SG-1 and/or Atlantis miniseries later. As far as I know the Atlantis base set has cost 5 million dollars, but it was not sold like the Universe bridge set, so maybe it would cheaper to rebuild it. If Joe Flannifan could bring those investors what he planned a few years ago, then maybe they would be able to make a deal with MGM to revive Stargate : Atlantis under the supervision of BW/JCC.

Or if they could order a smaller budgeted in-canon combined SG movie (a budget for 20-30 million dollars) that could be easily earned back from fans around the globe what income could be invested on the new spinoff or new SG mini series etc. Or they should really start to push a DVD movies series again. With clever writing they can leave out the set problem, since any SG team can go offworld...

Anyway there are so many options, but I hope BW will be called back. But it wil be still hard for him to impress everyone. More drama/less drama? More action/less action? More connection to the SG past/new character and technology development? I know it is hard to find the balance, but not impossible. Just I really hope they will treat every episode as it would be the last chance. So no more bottle episodes or smaller standalones...All episodes should be like a season finale, but obviously it needs money and money and more money.

Why has GW not promoted the twitter campaign?

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ady-to-launch/
    https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...rgate-reunion/

It is nice to see so many familiar faces again. It has really felt like a class reunion. Well done, gaters!

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Why has GW not promoted the twitter campaign?
    They may not have promoted it, but I did see the twitter account active during the tweetstorms.

Anyway there are so many options, but I hope BW will be called back. But it wil be still hard for him to impress everyone. More drama/less drama? More action/less action? More connection to the SG past/new character and technology development? I know it is hard to find the balance, but not impossible. Just I really hope they will treat every episode as it would be the last chance. So no more bottle episodes or smaller standalones...All episodes should be like a season finale, but obviously it needs money and money and more money.
    I think that stargate needs, more than anything, a chance. It didn't become a hit with one season, and many fan favorite episodes aren't exactly s1 episodes. Of any show.

I've come to realize quality is far superior to quantity in this regard. I'll gladly sign up to a 10 or 13 episode season, rather than the old 22, and get quality episodes in return. Considering the genre and niche, i think a shorter season is virtually inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    I've come to realize quality is far superior to quantity in this regard. I'll gladly sign up to a 10 or 13 episode season, rather than the old 22, and get quality episodes in return. Considering the genre and niche, i think a shorter season is virtually inevitable.
    If it's subscription based like Stargate Command, then I'm out anyway -- that's the final straw for me as far as Stargate goes. But I do agree, that a shorter season with 10, but prefer 13 episodes, would keep the stories more compact and to the point. No mucking about with fillers. I like that.

BUT as I said, if it's only available to a select audience -- that would be my cue to pack up and say goodbye to MGM and Stargate.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    BUT as I said, if it's only available to a select audience -- that would be my cue to pack up and say goodbye to MGM and Stargate.
    I said goodbye years ago. I'm still surprised it's being picked up at all.

What I wanted to say, I am just surprised that one of the biggest SG site hasn't put any news about the twitter campaign on its news site. What happened? I know Darrel became "half-official" crew member as he us making videos for the Stargate : Command website, but I still believe he should have promoted this campaign. Anyway it was successfull without the GateWorld too, just I don't understand the reasons. (Even the thread of episode 9 is still not opened...)

My enthusiasm for this franchise hasn't broke. Okay, maybe the flame of my innner fan boyness became a bit smaller in the last few years as I slowly started to lose hope that we can see SG again, but then Stargate : Origins fueled my enthusiasm again. I started to rewatch my favorite episodes or those ones what I couldn't remember. It is very rare that I can say I have fallen in love with the franchise again and again. You know when you got those goosebumps that "ohh this is so cool!!!". I am still not 100% satisfied as I am a bit more critic about character development or certain storylines, but most of it is still wonderful. Maybe I became a bit more "adult" or I have seen a few even better written scifi shows, but the main advantage of SG is still the exploration, the adventure, the mythology, the humor and the characters.

I really hope the SG can come back. A new MW based spinoff should explain the fate of SGC and Atlantis and obviously the current SG-1/Atlantis/Universe heroes as supportive characters while they have to introduce the new main characters, to establish new goals, new villains, new technologies for the new spinoff. 5-10 years have passed in real time, so that could influence the relationship of the known characters or change the status quo of the galaxy etc.

Maybe at first they should make just a short season like 6-8 episodes, where all of them are one main story or 2-4 two partners. And then if this new SG spinoff is successfull, then MGM could wide the Stargate further : a few SG-1 movies or Atlantis mini-series etc. while they can order the second season of the unnamed spinoff. There are so many possibilities for the scifi world.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Somebody wrote on Stargate : Command that today Christopher Judge will talk about the future of Stargate on a con. Is it true? I wish they could announce something as we have waited 2-3 weeks since the twitter campaign.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Somebody wrote on Stargate : Command that today Christopher Judge will talk about the future of Stargate on a con. Is it true? I wish they could announce something as we have waited 2-3 weeks since the twitter campaign.
    There's Wondercon in Anaheim starting today, and according to their schedule there will be a Stargate panel on 4pm local time (midnight CET, and 23:00 GMT)

Thanks, Anaheim is the place what I have heard as well. It is so exciting!

From what I just saw on twitter the only thing he talked about was BTS of Stargate SG-1, nothing about the possible future of Stargate.

Thank you. It looks like my predictions were wrong. I was just wondering why would they announce it on a little con, but then Darrell's video has showed up on the main page, so I really expected that something will happen. I have even checked the news at night, because I was so excited. Never mind. We have waited 7+ years, so a few more weeks don't matter now.

Whomever's idea it was to call it a Re-Open the Stargate panel, knew it would draw in the needed crowd. What they probably didn't count on was that it would also disappoint that crowd, that they basically made up a title for what was basically a Q&A with Chris Judge.

I think it's best not to get your hopes up. MGM is probably in no way interested in doing anything else than more Origins, which costs them the least and pisses off the most fans.

Yes, I have seen the reactions on Stargate : Command how they fooled the fans. Not nice at all. You know I really believed that something will happen with the arrival of Origin, the twitter strom, the JM blog posts, so that was the main reason I have been a bit more active here. The universe is infinite, so hope can never die...

If they truly cared about Stargate, like they claim, they would have bothered with more marketing and/or access. They would be more forthcoming with information and they would have a clear vision about where Command goes after May 15. As far as information goes, though, they have been scarce. If they truly cared about the franchise, they would have pulled out all the stops -- they didn't. That's telling.