MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    True, but I meant that if there were to be new stargate it would have to be something that appeals to the "younger demographic" though I'm no longer certain who that "younger demographic" is -- doubtful it's the Fortnite-playing crowd.
    SG1's main demographic was 40-50's. SGU was aimed at a younger audience, meaning 30-40's.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      SG1's main demographic was 40-50's. SGU was aimed at a younger audience, meaning 30-40's.
      Apparently, I'm the younger demograhic...
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Call me a cynic... or whatever, but I don't think MGM is even behind Stargate Command's presence at SDCC. Looks to me like Legion M is, and they are the ones organizing the two events: the "fan" meet-up and the screening, both limited in audience and Legion M members get first entrance before anyone else (apart from the 50 all-access members to the screening). And according to the event pages, both are already sold out -- or at least full cause tickets were free.

Thurs., July 19 (4:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.) Stargate Fan Meet Up Party, Legion M Fan Lounge @ Harbor House

Join fellow Stargate fans for themed drinks and fun! Tickets to this exclusive event will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis on Thursday, July 19. Follow @LegionMOfficial on Twitter and Instagram for details on how to grab tickets!

Thurs., July 19 (7:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m.) Special Stargate Origins: Catherine (Feature Cut) Screening, USS Midway, 910 N. Harbor Drive

During the Stargate fan meetup party, lucky fans will get the opportunity to win tickets to a very special screening of Stargate Origins: Catherine (Feature Cut) aboard the USS Midway located in San Diego’s famed harbor! The screening will be packed full of surprises!

Doesn't even mention Stargate Command, or MGM.

MGM has a teeny-tiny booth - 3529 -- look for it left from the big LEGO logo and when your eyes are fixed on Square Enix, you're too far. You need to go back a little. LucasFilm and Hasbro are diagonal from where the SGC is squished underneath Bandai. Weta Workshop is across the hallway.

And the panel at 12pm on Thursday: Stargate Franchise: Creative Storytelling

See the entire spectrum of Stargate franchise stories. The Stargate series, comics, books, games, and fan fiction have all contributed to the rich tapestry of the franchise, and there is more to come. Kieran Dickson will moderate a discussion with panelists Chris Judge, Darren Sumner, David Read, and more, as they share their creative process and behind-the-scenes stories.

Comment

Call me a cynic... or whatever, but I don't think MGM is even behind Stargate Command's presence at SDCC.
          MGM not caring about their fanbase? Mild shock!

And the panel is about folks that have licensed Stargate stuff, but the most recent licencees, the folks that made the comics aren't there? I wonder why.

Yet it says "...and there is more to come..." -- Hmmm. I wonder who's next to invest in a license, only to see miniscule sales due to lack of support from MGM. (see above)

I had heard rumors of more 'Origins' to come, including possibly a Telford story, but I'm not sure how legit they are.

Seriously, MGM, if you're reading -- do you know that you're really screwing the pooch here?

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post
            Seriously, MGM, if you're reading -- do you know that you're really screwing the pooch here?
            I think the pooch was already screwed last year... sad for the pooch though.

Comment

#poorpooch

Comment

And it looks like the pooch is not going to make it this year either...

For everyone hoping there was exciting news about the next installment... pack it in, cause nothing of the sorts happened.

Comment

Pure Speculation on my part here, but...they announced they'd be doing something with Tongal in future...and, if they do it -right-, it could be very interesting.

Tongal have a platform/business where they connect brands with amateur/upcoming filmmakers. They run competitions where you can pitch your idea, and the winners get funding to produce the film/trailer/whatever. They already work with SyFy.

What if...and it's a big if. What if MGM produced a new SG show, and together with Tongal created engagement for that show by allowing fans/amateur/upcoming filmmakers to put together complementary content. A bit like when they produced SGU, and there was complementary Kino content.

Wouldn't it be cool, for example, if the next Origins was an SGU:Origins, telling the tales that were going to be in the Icarus comic books, and fans/amateur/upcoming filmmakers had an opportunity to create fanfic, comics, short movies or games in that 'Universe' ? The best ideas would get funded by MGM, and featured on SGC.

It's a great way to re-engage the fanbase, and a great way to leverage the creativity of said fanbase in a legal and encouraging way.

Too much to ask?
                  Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

To be honest...I’m not interested in paying for fanfic. I know some are talented and probably well done but it’s not my “cup of tea.” I think it would also make it exceedingly difficult to keep any form of continuity or story arch’s if stories and coming from a variety of places/people without a clear vision.

Comment

I think that's the point though -- Tongal would be the ones that administer a clear vision of sanctioned fan content. Might be very cool.

All speculation though, based on them being mentioned, and the note that MGM have something to announce with them in future.
                      Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
                        Pure Speculation on my part here, but...they announced they'd be doing something with Tongal in future...and, if they do it -right-, it could be very interesting.
                        Could be...

Tongal have a platform/business where they connect brands with amateur/upcoming filmmakers. They run competitions where you can pitch your idea, and the winners get funding to produce the film/trailer/whatever. They already work with SyFy.
                        And by funding, it's very low-budget... depending on who the sponsor is but from what I could tell from the projects showcased, don't expect much from it. Most of the costs will still be for the company/individual participating. And if your project is picked, you literally lose all rights to it so you get nothing in return except for your name attached to it but the sponsor can change it at will -- they have final say on revisions and what not.

What if...and it's a big if. What if MGM produced a new SG show, and together with Tongal created engagement for that show by allowing fans/amateur/upcoming filmmakers to put together complementary content. A bit like when they produced SGU, and there was complementary Kino content.
                        A fanbase who cannot agree on anything, and who has been divided more than once is really not the place to go for ideas. Fans only want to see what they like, and they literally don't care about anyone else.

MGM's editor/reviewer lets it all pass and than Legacy book series happened... throwing canon out the window because the authors are notorious John/Teyla shippers.

Wouldn't it be cool, for example, if the next Origins was an SGU:Origins, telling the tales that were going to be in the Icarus comic books, and fans/amateur/upcoming filmmakers had an opportunity to create fanfic, comics, short movies or games in that 'Universe' ? The best ideas would get funded by MGM, and featured on SGC.
                        I don't know about you, but I don't like being used as a cash cow so someone else can make money with my ideas. Because that's exactly what this is. We might be using their copyrighted material, but the ideas are ours, not theirs. And once you sign your rights away for them for a scrap -- you're done.

And yes, I already took the time to read though Tongal's webpage and how it works.

In theory, this could work... but in practice... I have my doubts.

It's a great way to re-engage the fanbase, and a great way to leverage the creativity of said fanbase in a legal and encouraging way.
                        A legal and encouraging way for whom?

Because I'm still waiting for actual access to the Dial Home interviews so you can bet that it would just behind another paywall that will exclude the same amount of fans who are now excluded.

There will obviously be rules on what you can and can't do -- that's restricting a fan's creativity to do what they love most. I mean, fanfic is the realm where anything is possible -- Sam/Jack happily married, Kate/Teyla in a loving relationship, Elizabeth still in charge of Atlantis, ... McShep terrorizing the Atlantis hallways... you name it, it's there.

Too much to ask?
                        No, but you might not like the practicallity of the thing.

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
                        To be honest...I’m not interested in paying for fanfic. I know some are talented and probably well done but it’s not my “cup of tea.” I think it would also make it exceedingly difficult to keep any form of continuity or story arch’s if stories and coming from a variety of places/people without a clear vision.
                        What Shiner833 says.

I think that's the point though -- Tongal would be the ones that administer a clear vision of sanctioned fan content. Might be very cool.
                        Actually, it's the sponsor -- MGM I imagine in this case -- who administers the rules and what can and cannot be entered.

All speculation though, based on them being mentioned, and the note that MGM have something to announce with them in future.
                        If they were going to announce anything, they would have done it yesterday.... but alas, nothing happened just more empty strings to pull fans along.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
                          What's the difference between this and licensed material? Almost every book, game and comic based on a particular franchise is fan-fiction. About 90% of all Star Wars material is fan-fiction. The difference is that "true" fan-fiction is technically illegal as it's copyright infringement, and almost always created by amateurs (the positive meaning of the term). On the other end are the professional people who are licensed or hired by the companies to work on the franchise.

The aforementioned 90% of Star Wars is also following canon, with a special team whose sole job is to check everything. Stargate needs that too. As for continuity, it can be a multiverse like Marvel and DC. Origins already did that with contradicting almost everything from SG-1 and people still like it. I don't think even MGM has a proper vision. It was always Brad Wright and the gang that had the vision, without them, or people with the same passion, Stargate is nothing.

As long as they follow established canon and not run off, and they have a certain quality standard, then it's fine for me. It's just that I have a feeling that their kind of quality and continuity standard contradicts mine. When I try to write something, it has to be 100% canon or it's no good. Sure, mistakes can be made, which happened on the shows too, but effort should be made to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                            Origins already did that with contradicting almost everything from SG-1...
                            Probably because it's not actually SG-1 canon like MGM claims (who also say the Legacy book series is canon, and the American Mythology season 6 comics are canon) but Stargate (1994) canon which predates SG-1 canon and SG-1 breaks canon on too.

Comment

Probably because it's not actually SG-1 canon like MGM claims (who also say the Legacy book series is canon, and the American Mythology season 6 comics are canon) but Stargate (1994) canon which predates SG-1 canon and SG-1 breaks canon on too.
                              Technically it's neither because Origins is still using elements from the show, like the DHD, "naqada" or naquadah, the Langfords being American instead of Scandinavian, Abydos, and the stargate with the same glyphs as on Earth and the point-of-origin as seen on the show.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                                Technically it's neither because Origins is still using elements from the show, like the DHD, "naqada" or naquadah, the Langfords being American instead of Scandinavian, Abydos, and the stargate with the same glyphs as on Earth and the point-of-origin as seen on the show.
                                So basically... relationship status = complicated

Comment

Working...
                                X