No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to watch Babylon 5 as well, but there is no way to without buying the DVDs (which I won't do since I don't know whether I like it enough to spend that much money on it). I started watching the reimagined BSG and considered buying the full collection (including the movies and the original 1979 series). But after getting into season 2, I really didn't like it anymore. Too much religious stuff for my taste. So thankfully I didn't buy it yet.

Comment

Season 3 of new Galactica drags on but season 4 makes up for it so much. But if you're already stuk at 2, I wouldn't recommend continuing.

I thought Babylon 5 was on Netflix (Belgium) but I could be wrong. I don't have an account yet.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Season 3 of new Galactica drags on but season 4 makes up for it so much. But if you're already stuk at 2, I wouldn't recommend continuing.

I thought Babylon 5 was on Netflix (Belgium) but I could be wrong. I don't have an account yet.
        I'd be surprised, B5 wasn't as glamorous or popular than most shows. If you ever go about watching it, don't discourage yourself due to the really horrible quality of Season 1 CGI effects. It gets better.

I would highly recommend this show, B5 is basically the UN of space
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
          I would like to watch Babylon 5 as well, but there is no way to without buying the DVDs (which I won't do since I don't know whether I like it enough to spend that much money on it). I started watching the reimagined BSG and considered buying the full collection (including the movies and the original 1979 series). But after getting into season 2, I really didn't like it anymore. Too much religious stuff for my taste. So thankfully I didn't buy it yet.
          Well you could always download a couple seasons, and if you enjoy it, buy the DVDs. I think I've seen them like 50% off on Amazon (Canada) recently. TBH, there is no other show like B5, it is really a unique series.

Also if you want to give the show a try, I would highly recommend to google the viewing order to ensure you don't get spoiled or miss something. There are I think 4 movies total + 5 seasons and one season of a cancelled spin-off post B5 which is called the Crusade.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

They even tried to make a spinoff "Rangers" for Babylon 5, but they haven't ordered the show after the pilot. I still love Babylon 5. Even if the space battles were done on Amigas (!!!) then on PCs, they are more dynamic than lots of newer shows. Every race has got their own little ship design. The story is really good even if the first season is just a "prologue" and then the main plot starts in season 2. It is highly recommanded as it is one of the best scifi experience ever.

Fun facts: my first name is "Ákos", what is almost Kosh. Hehe. While my surname is Nováki, what is almost like Dovakhin (from The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim). So basically I am a Dragonborn Vorlon.

I would also strongly suggest Earth2. It is only one season from 1994. It is has got really strong cast and well written characters. A group of colonists lands on a planet, so the whole show is about their survival. IT feels like an early version of LOST. Jessica Steen (first Weir) is also a main actress on the show. Main theme :
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAwFtJrp3c
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Well, old CGI isn't a deal-breaker. At all. If what it depicts is cool in its own right (which the Babylon space station and Jump gates are) then I can easily look past it. I mean, almost everyone I know is criticizing Stargate for its old CGI, yet I still think it holds up after all these years. And I play quite a few old video games with "bad graphics". So I'm immune to it.

Time is an issue. And concentration. Shows that I have on Netflix or DVDs tend to be more prioritized since I spent money on them. I can too easily lose focus when I do it the other way, unless the seasons are short (as with Game of Thrones (which was semi-legal since it's on demand for me but with terrible non-HD quality)).

And then there's Star Trek which I can watch legally now on Netflix without buying the DVDs (which I didn't want to do, since I don't like it that much).

Comment

I still love Babylon 5. Even if nowadays it looks a bit old, they were capable of making such dynamics space battles what the Stargate couldn't make until the season 4-5. Babylon 5 was aired from 1992-1997 if I remember well, so it was way beyond the competitiors. Then the new BSG arrived and that was were they could make really dynamic battles again. I know CGI scenes just serves the story and characters, but Babylon 5 is simply great. Without spoiling the main story here is a scene from the "Battle of line" which is an extension of season 1 flashbacks in "The Gathering" movie :
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQnnoU4i5w
                It still makes shivering when EVERY jumpgates opens simulatenously at 1:40. Bravo JMS. By the way he is the writer of the Spiderman comics and he has also created the Sense8 series too. He is a psychologist as far as I know, so he knows how to play with the emotions of the viewers. At least he is not that evil then G. R. Martin.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                  Well, old CGI isn't a deal-breaker. At all. If what it depicts is cool in its own right (which the Babylon space station and Jump gates are) then I can easily look past it. I mean, almost everyone I know is criticizing Stargate for its old CGI, yet I still think it holds up after all these years. And I play quite a few old video games with "bad graphics". So I'm immune to it.
                  Same here. Old CGI, in fact is fascinating cause before all that high tech, practical effects were sometimes way cooler.

Comment

Just to be clear, I do not mind old graphics or CGI either, it's just funny on the first watch.

B5 for me was all about the stories. I enjoy shows that have in-depth lore and it is the case with B5. Each faction has their style, history, and defined characteristics. Hell even the Babylon station has a complex story in regards to the number 5.

I also like how humans are the most primitive race and basically created the station because they knew they couldn't oppose the Minbari. Diplomacy and fragile alliances of many very different species coupled with great plots.

The characters is what gives the show its charm though. I mean you know a guy named Mister Geraboldy means business.
                    I have never loved/hated a character as much as Londo or G'kar. I am not usually the sensitive type, maybe its because the writing is so good, but this show brought in me strong emotional reactions at times, especially in the case of Londo / G'kar relationship.

It sucks that the show was "cursed". So many actors died after B5 ended, RIP.
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      It sucks that the show was "cursed". So many actors died after B5 ended, RIP.
                      Does it have mummies? Cause Egyptologists were also at risk of dying in the early days of discovering...

Comment

In the US, Babylon 5 is rerunning on Comet TV, which also has Stargate SG-1 reruns among the other shows it has.

Link to Comet TV's website: https://www.comettv.com/

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
                          In the US, Babylon 5 is rerunning on Comet TV, which also has Stargate SG-1 reruns among the other shows it has.

Link to Comet TV's website: https://www.comettv.com/
                          Yes... and interesting note, this is also available online for streaming on CometTV (though obviously geoblocking is in place).

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Yes... and interesting note, this is also available online for streaming on CometTV (though obviously geoblocking is in place).
                            Its hard to tell since you're located in French fries country, but last year I bought a sweet package on Amazon. Package had B5 franchise + movies + Crusade and Andromeda franchise for something like 50$. Totally worth it.

(Andromeda is absolute crap beyond S2 but still).
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Just. Watch. it.
                              Indeed...
                              "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

Its hard to tell since you're located in French fries country, but last year I bought a sweet package on Amazon. Package had B5 franchise + movies + Crusade and Andromeda franchise for something like 50$. Totally worth it.

(Andromeda is absolute crap beyond S2 but still).
                                An apt summation on all points, methinks.
                                "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

Working...
                                X