No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry, I also don't expect anything this stage. Shame. Shame. Shame.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

"MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC"

Well from what I read here, Stargate Origins was NOT a success, mainly due to bad marketing in a bid to chase the almighty dollar. And SGC is just one big joke, a very sick joke that nobody is laughing at.

So I have given up on seeing anymore REAL Stargate that continues the canon.
      We may get some sort of reboot that will not be the same, that will just ruin everything.
      But as long as they leave it long enough for people to forget the true Stargate, nobody will know, & nobody will care.
      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        Don't worry, I also don't expect anything this stage. Shame. Shame. Shame.
        It's in June right?

Maybe we can place a bet...

Obviously there won't be anything new so instead we'll bet on what will be repeated.
        Are there going to be "superfans"?

So, I'm going to say they will have exclusive pins (like they did at Wondercon) which are only available at the convention itself, they will have that idiotic gate with them for photos (while they could have had the French gaters come in and set up an actual portal -- MGM is seriously missing out there. They should take a page out of Disney/Lucasfilm's handling of fans building props and sets -- I'm biased, I know, and we are very lucky, I know). There will be a panel raving about Command's exclusive Dial Home/Recon/whatever else there is that most don't have access to.

And the crown jewel -- no expansion... because blah blah blah [fill in blanks with whatever reason you think they don't want to give].

Oh, and more raving about the superfans nobody knows.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...te-convention/

According to the GW, the announcement could happen on Saturday. Maybe we should make an announcement bingo:

- nothing
          - nothing, but "we are working on it"
          - nothing, but "we tried to work on it"
          - nothing, but the **** SyFy sabotaged it
          - Jaffa stories by CJ
          - new Origins season or seasons
          - new mini-series from BW
          - new spin-off from BW
          - new SG movies with the combined cast of SG-1/Atlantis/Universe from BW

etc.

Then probably we will hear more about the furute of SG:C as they are planning to extend the service. If we are lucky it will be available in 7 countries instead of 6.
          It looks like this bingo is almost accurate. Here is the right one :

- nothing
          - nothing, but "we are working on it"
          - nothing, but "we tried to work on it"
          - nothing, but the **** SyFy sabotaged it
          Yep. The other answers are out of the game.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Bingo cards will be provided. This is gonna be fun.

Comment

Breaking my rule not to post, but this latest news really hits many nerves.

MGM is planning a Boy George biopic along with settling the Vegas shooting which is costing Millions. I doubt there will be any money left over for Stargate.

Comment

A big studio stands on multiply legs, so they won't invest all of their money just into one tv project. If they really wanted to revive Stargate they could have done it any time. A simple 90minutes pilot could cost "only" 5-10-15 million dollars which shouldn't be a problem for such a studio like MGM. Then if the pilot is received well then they could invest more money into a mini-series or bigger 13 or 20 episode seasons....

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                  MGM is planning a Boy George biopic along with settling the Vegas shooting which is costing Millions. I doubt there will be any money left over for Stargate.
                  If they wanted to seriously invest into Stargate, they would have done that already around the time Stargate Origins ended or was "airing". They missed that momentum gigantically. Therefore it is my firm believe they have no interest in bringing stargate back to the TV-medium, or online streaming on their platform.

Heck they even left American Mythology hanging... if that isn't proof enough to anyone that they have zero interest in investing money into a franchise they claim is one of their most precious ones, I don't know what else there is left to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    If they wanted to seriously invest into Stargate, they would have done that already around the time Stargate Origins ended or was "airing". They missed that momentum gigantically. Therefore it is my firm believe they have no interest in bringing stargate back to the TV-medium, or online streaming on their platform.

Heck they even left American Mythology hanging... if that isn't proof enough to anyone that they have zero interest in investing money into a franchise they claim is one of their most precious ones, I don't know what else there is left to say.
                    What I'm suspecting is that MGM ''analysts'' probably did a couple surveys and deemed a SG project non-profitable. There is tons of sci-fi right now both on small and big screen and their conclusions must be: we're too small of a player to shine in the spotlight. The risk would be too great.

What I say is this: Stargate is a unique sci-fi. There is nothing similar really, most sci-fi's happen in the future or some distant planets whereas SG is earth-based in our present time with present technology (with a few bonus the SG:C found on the way of course ).
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      What I'm suspecting is that MGM ''analysts'' probably did a couple surveys and deemed a SG project non-profitable. There is tons of sci-fi right now both on small and big screen and their conclusions must be: we're too small of a player to shine in the spotlight. The risk would be too great.
                      Also, deliberately closing your doors to all fans, would probably also not help in expanding that tiny group... but that would be their loss, which they obviously deem acceptable.

Comment

After a long and arduous process, I've finally managed to get back on the new SGC site. Don't know why though. I had to reset my password, and it now requires you to log in with email rather than username. That took a long time to fix. Moreover, I use LastPass to store my passwords, and due to the URL the login page uses, it thinks I'm on the Nvidia site (because both sites use "auth0", which appears as the base URL), so that's annoying.

Oh, and the Feed is gone. No more "like-Twitter-but-it-sucks" forum, instead we got a Discussions page where no one can post anything except to comment or "suggest" new discussions. It could be argued that's a bit better, since the Feed was mostly horrendous, but now there is no official forum anymore (unless, you know, it's hidden behind the All Access curtain)

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                          I had to reset my password, and it now requires you to log in with email rather than username.
                          Caught that bit on twitter just a few minutes ago. Wanted to come by and mention it, but you beat me to it.

Oh, and the Feed is gone. No more "like-Twitter-but-it-sucks" forum, instead we got a Discussions page where no one can post anything except to comment or "suggest" new discussions. It could be argued that's a bit better, since the Feed was mostly horrendous, but now there is no official forum anymore (unless, you know, it's hidden behind the All Access curtain)
                          If there's no "forum" or "feed", there basically is nothing left for no-access members.
                          If there's a "forum" hidden in all-access, they can pretty much close up shop soon.

--- Edit ---

Haven't gone around to check the "new upgrade" but apparently you can get "sorted" into a faction now... unless that's an all-access only thing since you didn't mention it, Nick.
                          Last edited by Falcon Horus; 31 May 2019, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Oh, and I did some checking. The first three episodes of SG:O, which were free for everyone, are no longer free. As far as I decided to check, only the first two Dialing Home episodes (with Chris), and the first episode of "Recon" are available to all. And there is no way to discern what is free and what requires All-Access.

Comment

Oh, and I did some checking. The first three episodes of SG:O, which were free for everyone, are no longer free. As far as I decided to check, only the first two Dialing Home episodes (with Chris), and the first episode of "Recon" are available to all. And there is no way to discern what is free and what requires All-Access.
                              Great...

Comment

I've just come to a startling realization ... in this format, Jack_ONeill_SG-1 can no longer post the updates and newsbits he's always sharing, nor can Platschu continue the quiz's. I mean, if posting new discussions is no longer possible.

I predict eminent death in 3...2...1...

Comment

Working...
                                X