No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Xaeden says makes sense. Stargate needs to undergo a trial on a smaller service and work its way up to a bigger one. There's also a good reason for it - if you bring back a successful franchise onto a streaming service, it is important to:

1. Test the waters first and see if there is still audience interest.
    2a. If there is little to no interest, no-one is going to be spending even a sammler amount of finances to start and/or keep the project going.
    2b. If there is interest and if that interest doesn't fade away over a short period of time, than the franchise does have a chance.
    3. A new Stargate series must be done right. Which means hiring the right people to do it. Which means even more and even larger checks to pay. That , of course, lowers the actual available budget for the filming of new SG content.
    4. If a new SG series is done right, it must gain the right space in order to survive. Which means that the streaming service stands behind it 110 %. But to give the new series a space, that means working with a limited budget and NOT going over it like JM/BW/RC/MG did in the past.

If SG does come back in any form, I think we can expect something alike SG-1 S01 where not even the producers knew what to do with the franchise. So if any sort of continuation of the TV stuff happens, it won't be in the production shape like the SG franchise was during its final few seasons.
    Last edited by Mnikolic; 17 April 2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Apple is for snobs...

With that said... Netflix is available everywhere (except for North-Korea).

There's no other streaming service that even remotely has that big of a reach, or bothers to have that reach.

Except for illegal streaming perhaps... they are everywhere.
      Apple is just an example. The point is that Netflix has not been a good place for long form storytelling, so a Stargate show would have a better chance of making it beyond 2-3 seasons on an smaller platform. If MGM opted not to sell and instead created their own streaming platform, I'd also have higher hopes for a Stargate spin-off doing well as it would be a top show for them. On Netflix, it's possible it would be a breakout hit, but it's most likely that it would be treated as a disposable and easy to replace niche offering.

I completely understand that your chief concern is being able to watch things as they come out because you don't want to have to deal with spoilers, but for me it's about sitting down in 10 years and having a complete story to immerse myself in. I'm certainly not going to buy Apple TV+ either, and therefore would have to wait or use other methods to see a hypothetical Apple TV+ show, but I'm okay with that because I'm far less interested in investing in storylines that are going to get cut short. I do get that that's the nature of most TV, but there are certain networks and platforms that are particularly prolific at shortchanging viewers. For a period, Fox was considered the worst offender, the Sci Fi channel suddenly couldn't program their way out of a paper bag around 2006 and started dropping shows left and right as a result, and now it's Netflix that's particularly problematic simply because their business model is not friendly to most long forms of storytelling.

I do hope that changes in the future, though, as it would be a monumental shame if the only way we could have long running TV programs is on up and coming platforms and network TV since those are not going to be viable options forever. It's therefore critical for us viewers who want 5-7 + season shows that streaming platforms find a way to be profitable while nurturing their second tier offerings.
      Last edited by Xaeden; 14 July 2020, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Good points right there. A Stargate spin-off needs more than 2-3 seasons in order to tell its story. SGA and SGU (especially the latter) are a definite proof of that.

Comment

Actually even a tv movie can tell a story as that is the reason scripts are written. You don't need a complete season for it. But it depends on the writers if they have found out enough material to fill a tv movie, mini series or even longer season. And while I love character centric episodes, I am more interested in hardcore story telling and lore expansions. It would have been nice if the episodes could have been supported with official, in-canon materials (like briefing logs or reports, epidose summaries) where fans could have collected extra informations. But then the problem would be what was mentioned onscreen or offscreen then how can the audience follow the story if some key plots were revealed in such materials. This step has caused the confusion with the "Catherine" movie too. We also had so many episodes which were "wasted" for budget reasons when they had to spare money so desperately that not even the full cast couldn't show up in every episodes or they couldn't afford a proper CGI wormhole effect anymore. So I am in favor of series of tv movies or shorter seasons where 2-4-6-10 episodes serves an anthology type of storytelling. The DVD movies would have been great as such individual adventures could be distributed easier to other countries.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

A streaming service will most certainly produce shorter seasons, and I agree that 10-13 episodes is plenty to tell a season's main story. Saying that I want more than 2-3 seasons has nothing to do with the episode count. Rather, it's entirely about seeing a multi-season storyline play out. Two seasons of 20 total episodes is not enough time to introduce a new set of Stargate characters, a galactic problem, and then bring them and their problem to a resolution in a satisfying way. Five seasons of 50 total episodes could be because, as you said, many episodes in past 20-22 Stargate seasons are one-offs and/or fillers.

Also at issue is that nobody actually plans a 2-3 season storyline when designing a new show. They go into it hoping for more and than get canceled early. Even though Netflix's business model makes moving forward with 4th and 5th seasons cost prohibitive in a lot of cases, they're not sitting down with show creators and telling them to envision a shorter overall arc for their characters and stories. Instead, they're surprising them with cancelations after shooting on the most recent season has wrapped.

A movie featuring a one-off adventure or clearly defined mini-series would be a great and a different matter entirely, particularly if old cast members are used. It doesn't make financial sense to build the needed sets for a straight-to-DVD or TV movie, but Netflix is investing theatrical level budgets into its original movies, so they are probably the best avenue for getting a one-off produced.

Comment

Two seasons of 20 total episodes is not enough time to introduce a new set of Stargate characters, a galactic problem, and then bring them and their problem to a resolution in a satisfying way. Five seasons of 50 total episodes could be because, as you said, many episodes in past 20-22 Stargate seasons are one-offs and/or fillers."

I disagree. They can create memorable characters, character moments, nice conversations and a story plot in a sitcom in less than 22 minutes. Then don't tell me they can not do such things in 40 episodes, because then it is simply badly planned and written. Even a mini series would have a betterv alue of set costs, while the anthology type of storysteling could help to tell bigger stories (lik a six episode long Vanir arc or post-Ori or Nox or Rhee'tou etc.) Nothing is wrong with fillers or standalones in longer seasons as long as they serve some kind of storytelling or lore building. But the TV and the scifi genre have evolved, we can't have that kuxury anymore that you start a long term plot or character arc which is randomly solved seasons later as it will be left unfinished after cancellation.

I really liked the first seasons as they have tried to tell standalone stories with movie quality efforts. Imagine what they could achieve now with bigger budgets and digital sets / exotic shooting locations or the combination of the two. That is the type of "nextgenSG" what I would like to see where they could show really odd lookking worlds with imagination and modern technology. This show is about entering strange new worlds through a doorway, so it would be time to give the audience an SG show where not only pine forests exist.

We have talked many timss that the good example is Star Trek, where hardly 3-4 episodes / season are offset, but they still manage to maintain an interesting story and good character developments with hightech vfx support. Now they are planning 3-5 spinoffs as the audience is hungry for more adventures. The same could be reached with the Stargate franchise.
              Last edited by Platschu; 20 April 2020, 10:52 AM.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I disagree. They can create memorable characters, character moments, nice conversations and a story plot in a sitcom in less than 22 minutes. Then don't tell me they can not do such things in 40 episodes, because then it is simply badly planned and written.
                To be clear, I meant 20 episodes total, not 20 episodes per season, so I in no way said they cannot do that in 40 episodes.

Even a mini series would have a betterv alue of set costs, while the anthology type of storysteling could help to tell bigger stories (lik a six episode long Vanir arc or post-Ori or Nox or Rhee'tou etc.) Nothing is wrong with fillers or standalones in longer seasons as long as they serve some kind of storytelling or lore building. But the TV and the scifi genre have evolved, we can't have that kuxury anymore that you start a long term plot or character arc which is randomly solved seasons later as it will be left unfinished after cancellation.
                I in no way argued that a mini series or anthology show isn't doable either. The thing is that when someone creates a mini series, anthology, or movie they know what their time limitations are and are able to craft a story within those confines. If what you really want to see moving forward is a mini series or a couple of movies, I think Netflix is a great place for that.

However, you are conflating your advocacy for anthologies and mini series with the issue I took with 2-3 season shows. My problem is that nobody is crafting 2-3 season and done overarching storylines and no network or streaming service is telling creators to aim for that number. Rather, writers on Netflix shows are having their visions cut short and Netflix is not preparing them for early ends because they are hoping that a show will turn out to be successful enough to keep pumping out seasons (as happened in the case of "Stranger Things") even though that's rarely the case. As a result, writers are having the shows canceled at the last minute with little to no notice and fans are often left hanging.

I do also think 2-3 seasons is a difficult number to tell a long form story in, especially for something like Stargate. A mini series can work because the scope is narrow, but once you get beyond that first season on a show about running all over a galaxy, you're going to get heavy into world building and character development. Giving viewers a satisfying conclusion to all the threads that will inevitably come out of a 2nd or 3rd season is very difficult.

Again, though, it depends on what you're trying to do. Some long form story ideas are easier to wrap up in a shorter time frame than others. The problem with Stargate is that, yes, it's possible to successfully focus on a self contained problem that is limited to an episode or the number of episodes in a mini series, but when moving into multiple seasons of an overarching story (not to be confused with multiple seasons of an anthology show or an entirely/almost entirely episodic program), the scope has to (at least) be galactic in nature and once that happens 2-3 seasons is simply insufficient to wrap up everything that the writers are trying to do.

I really liked the first seasons as they have tried to tell standalone stories with movie quality efforts. Imagine what they could achieve now with bigger budgets and digital sets / exotic shooting locations or the combination of the two. That is the type of "nextgenSG" what I would like to see where they could show really odd lookking worlds with imagination and modern technology. This show is about entering strange new worlds through a doorway, so it would be time to give the audience an SG show where not only pine forests exist.
                SGU's first season and Sg-1's two "first" seasons (1 and 9) I thought were rather clunky because they struggled with everything they had to setup and took time to find their footing. That seems to be the general consensus. Stargate Atlantis had a really good first season, but it was good, in large part, because of everything it seemed to be building toward.

It is certainly possible to create a good one season and done TV program as that's what a mini series is. I think Jessica Jones could've been that. It had a nice, tightly focused first season that brought its main character's development to a satisfying conclusion and also nicely concluded its villain's arc. After that, everything felt like extended content. It was comparable to how a show will plot a 5 season arc and then start fresh because the network doesn't want them to give up the gravy train. It's nice (if done right), but not necessary.

We have talked many timss that the good example is Star Trek, where hardly 3-4 episodes / season are offset, but they still manage to maintain an interesting story and good character developments with hightech vfx support. Now they are planning 3-5 spinoffs as the audience is hungry for more adventures.
                I very much dislike how extremely episodic Star Trek has been in the past. Stargate has been plenty episodic itself, but I think it does a far superior job of blending episodic stories with season and multi-season arcs. I would not be here commenting on Stargate all these years later had it followed Star Trek's earlier format.

The sams could be reached with the Stargate franchise.
                And you can have a diversity of formats. There could be a mini series, anthology show, and a long form spin-off. Just not on Netflix because they'll do the first two very well and shortchange viewers on the third (unless it turns out to be a massive, surprise hit).
                Last edited by Xaeden; 20 April 2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Xaeden -- my apologies for my snippiness earlier... (still think Apple is for snobs)... I may have been in the wrong mood to answer.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Another setback for anything Stargate, scroll down to see the list of properties involved and possible lawsuits
                      https://www.komando.com/security-pri...AqzpV4U-_I6S3A

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                        Another setback for anything Stargate, scroll down to see the list of properties involved and possible lawsuits
                        https://www.komando.com/security-pri...AqzpV4U-_I6S3A
                        MGM Resorts and MGM studios are separate companies that parted ways decades ago. One is not a subsidiary of the other, and they do not share an owner in common, so just as MGM studios' bankruptcy had no impact on MGM Resorts, this likewise has no impact on MGM studios or anything to do with Stargate except for possible confusion among investors (MGM Resorts had to emphasize that MGM studios' bankruptcy had nothing to do with them for that reason and MGM studios may now have to do the same).

Comment

For reference in addition to Xaeden's post:

MGM Holdings, Inc. is a Delaware-registered pure holding company and the parent company of the American media company Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. Through this holding company, MGM's former creditors own the studio. Its headquarters are in Beverly Hills, California, United States.

MGM Resorts International is an American global hospitality and entertainment company operating destination resorts.

The only thing still in common is the MGM in their name.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I have hoped for a brief second that somebody has posted some new spinoff announcement related news. Silly me.

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...-chance-binge/

Maybe it leaves Amazon Prime as it moves to a new streaming service where we can get a new Stargate spinoff.

Comment

ive heard that after the bankrupcy of mgm and the essetial overtake by another studio they have expressed interest and the will to create a new series, movie, minishow.. just anything. I thougt it would be a cool topic to discus how the fandom sees the future. Discussing our wishes, wants and hopes for the stargate concept as to inspire the creators and to give them an idea of the endless possibility's. (hoping they read @ least some of it)

Please let me blast off, ive been holding back for a years on this topic as i dont have friends to share my thoughts with on this topic.

I think you guys all know that atlantis and also the original series were an enormous succes. I would have loved many more seasons. Allthough i understand its hard to keep making original content and keep you acors in place etc... But the idea of atlantis was freaking gold and fit the "historical/mystical" genre/content of stargate PERFECTLY. I personaly think it would be gold to keep going on this track.. try to find mythical sources to take to the next lvl. Stargate recreated RA, and many of the ancient gods and gave us complete new ways to envision these gods. (Wich are ideas ive carried with me olmost all of my life). Allthough the idea existed for centuries. But to see it back in a great series made with love and respect to the whole theme.. priceless!! U capitalised on the mystery's surrounding the piramides, aliens, gods, antartica and atlantis and theyre so named high tech culture.. On the mysteries surrounding our origin (even to this day for many people) This was exacly the reason why i loved the series.. and to be honest, if i had known there was a site where i could watch the series the last few years i probably wouldve had an account. Even if it had been on and off for when i would need it.. just for the support and love i have for the whole concept.. shamefull on my part that i found out in the week they closed the website... but i would love to see what you can do to say the indian gods, indian culture goes very deep and they have extremely much historical accounts to explore in the same way you did with others. They even have technical aspects to explore.. freaking homerun. Maybe even more alien races, or gining a broader vieuw of 1 of the older races, asgards come to mind. there is a lot of mystery surrounding space and all the possibility's of alien existence. Allthough universe maybe was a bit dark (for me that is). A bit to much psycho mindf***. Allthough i understand from many that they started to warm up to the series just as it came to a close.. it doesnt fit the older concepts of stargate to well i think.. South american gods and even the north american indian gods have such rich background on wich to capitalize... actualy and honostly.. i cant see you going out of new materials to focus on. I love all great sci fi series in these trends Trek, wars, gate and even some of the lower budget forms. But in all honesty.. ive had great daydreams and fantasies in the stargate realm because its so relatable in comparison. Again, speaking for myself here.. Where as wars and trek.. can invent many new series storylines and parodies. But will never have the relatable nature stargate has to offer. And would have to dig a lot deeper to create original content.. where as you have a complete world of stories, myths and conspiracies to exploit.. i think its a shame the studio who produced this went under.. they made a cultural treasure.. to bad hard work and a top notch product are not always enough to get to the big money. To bad.. in this twisted world.. money makes and brakes. (Tip for the future, setting and maintaining a streaming survice is probably what pulled mgm under.. its quite an investment. IF you should decide to outsource your streaming. Make sure u dont sign any EXCLUSIVE contracts. If they only work exclusive, theyre not worth your awsome product! Just walk away and look further. There are many many services . Always bet on multiple horses. Firstly this generates more income for your studio, you will have more partnerships benefiting from your product, wich could turn out to be good colaborations in your future, and gives more flexibilety for your fans and even your studio as even the populair netflix and amazon could see theyre populairity drop as soon as they build it up in favor of something new or even mis steps by themselves.) But there may be many more concepts to explore. Also there are many more mythical creatures to play with. Dragons, dino's, bigfoot, nessie and all those things. Also, time travel, and a **** load of conspiracy theorys that are getting a lot of traction for you to exploit and let lose your great fantasie. Like illuminati, lizard overlords and all that crazy stuff. XD.

Let me close my endless rambling by saying i have all the respect for the work you people @ mgm did on the stargate concept. You filled a void in my "spiritual" side..
                                And i hope that even though the studio didnt make it to a financial succes, you all land on your feet an go on to create more amazing storylines as you have done in the past.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X