No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The patch has never arrived... I wish I could say I am surprised, but that is what I have expected from them...
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      The patch has never arrived... I wish I could say I am surprised, but that is what I have expected from them...
      Have seen such complaints being answered very quickly on Twitter and most all of them were send a new one.
      GapStargate got an empty enveloppe, and StargateDaily complained they didn't get one. Both were send a new one or one in the latter's case, after their complaints were picked up by Command.

Though while Gap got the patch, she's still waiting for the T-shirt to arrive.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

And guess what, it was the 22nd anniversary of Children of the Gods today. Congratulations! Nice to see it celebrated(!) So nice(!)

Comment

Honestly.. It is gettin boring that they find a date as a reason to celebrate something, while they close out the people from the "party". And it is not a real celebration if they open a few discussion if there is no follow-up then the whole event is turning into a memorial service only.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

This is exactly what Stargate has come to -- celebrate anniversies of premieres and endings... That's just sad.

And if there was actually a buzz to accompany that "celebration", I guess that would be something but there literally isn't.

Comment

The way I see it, the Stargate franchise at the moment is the in a simillar place to Doctor Who circa 1997 was in the UK. I don't know how much anyone here knows about the history of Doctor Who, but after 26 years, it was off air from 1989, and in 1996 it had had a TV movie that did not perform to expectations (the movie was a pilot to bring back a new series). The movie was jointly made between the BBC and Fox, and the fact that it failied in America was a bigger factor than the BBC's viewing figures (which were not stellar by any means, but quite reasonable), so a new jointly produced TV series was never comissioned, and the BBC at this point would not even consider bringing back the show. It looked like it was dead and gone forever. It took another 6 years, for a fan (Russell T Davies) to convince the BBC to accept his pitch for an updated show suitable both for the current fans and the current audience. One of the reasons the shows revival was so succesful was the timing. It was the perfect time to bring it back, as the BBC was in need of a decent Saturday teatime show (at the time, the most popular viewing time of the weekend), and sci-fi was still largely in its prime. As a result, we ended up with a hugely popular show, not just with existing fans, but creating a whole new generation of fans at the same time.

Sure, there are differences with Stargate - MGM and the BBC are two very different companies, and have different priorities (at the moment the next James Bond is probably the biggest priority for MGM), but there are definitely simmilarities too, and I actually think that a new stargate in some form or another might actually be closer than Doctor Who was in 1997 (it was 2005 by the time it eventually returned to our screens).

So with all that in mind, I don't think that we should lose hope for a return, be it TV, or another form. Just as Doctor Who did not come back until the timing was right, I think if the timing is right, someone might be able to convince MGM that there is an opening. And that opening might not be far off. With probably the biggest TV show of the last decade - Game of Thrones having now finished, TV and streaming companies will be looking for something to fill that gap over the next few years. Plus, if James Bond 25 fails next year - and given the mess that that production is in, it is very possible that it will, then MGM might just look to something with a ready made fanbase like Stargate. So just because at the moment it looks like we won't be getting any more Stargate, then don't lose hope that we ever will. If we as fans of the series give up, then the chances of a return pretty much go with us, but as long as we are still there, then there is still a possibility that it will come back.

Comment

Originally posted by SGCSokar View Post
                ...MGM might just look to something with a ready made fanbase like Stargate. So just because at the moment it looks like we won't be getting any more Stargate, then don't lose hope that we ever will. If we as fans of the series give up, then the chances of a return pretty much go with us, but as long as we are still there, then there is still a possibility that it will come back.
                1 minor problem -- that "ready made fanbase" is dwindling, in part because nothing has been happening on the Stargate front in years, and part because MGM happily ignores half the fanbase by blocking their access to their "dedicated stargate streaming service".

Besides, if fans were the reason shows remained on the air, then a fair few wouldn't have been cancelled. But alas, it isn't the fanbase who keep something alive.

Sidenote: remember how MGM/Stargate Command responded to the tweetstorm last year...

...Oh right, they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  1 minor problem -- that "ready made fanbase" is dwindling, in part because nothing has been happening on the Stargate front in years, and part because MGM happily ignores half the fanbase by blocking their access to their "dedicated stargate streaming service".

Besides, if fans were the reason shows remained on the air, then a fair few wouldn't have been cancelled. But alas, it isn't the fanbase who keep something alive.

Sidenote: remember how MGM/Stargate Command responded to the tweetstorm last year...

...Oh right, they didn't.
                  Your right fans don't keep something alive, money does. But things only get revived, if the fanbase is there. eg Doctor Who, Star Wars, Star Trek. If the fanbase isnt there, then they certainly won't get revived, as they won't make any money. I'm certainly not defending the SGC site (just to avoid confusion, my username is nothing to do with that, it is relating to the SGC from the show by the way). My point was that if the fanbase was there, then MGM might soon be in a position where they have to rethink and look to existing fanbases other than James Bond.

Yes, the fanbase might be ever dwindling, that is to be expected after all these years (and yes, the SGC site is part of that). However, a lot will come back if something good enough comes along. Taking my Doctor Who comparison, that show's following had dwindled to "cult" status before 2005, or if not cult, then very close. Doctor Who was often mocked as "that old show with wobbly sets" and things like that, and a lot of fans were almost ashamed to be a fan. However, when the show came back in 2005, so did a lot of the fans that were still mad at the BBC for cancelling it in the first place. Why? because it was somethng that they loved, and this was another part of the show that they loved.

Comment

I liked the wobbly sets of Doctor Who when I watched the classics after I had seen 10 and 11.
                    Those old episodes are gold.

Sidenote: never made a connection to the website with your name... the SGC, first and foremost, is the stargate base. At least, for me it is.

Comment

Though while Gap got the patch, she's still waiting for the T-shirt to arrive.
                      Nevermind, Gap never received her attempt-2 patch either. She's still waiting for it.

RE: the video

Pending approval, the video might be posted next week -- for everyone to see.
                      "Next week" came and went (it's friday today) and no mention of any SDCC video release.

In other news, they posted a bunch of short videos of Gateway. They are for all-access subscribers only but they were kind enough to post transcripts for everyone else -- hard pass.

Source: the article about Joe's little interview which can be viewed on the Gateworld page. Didn't watch it, but read the text bits.

Comment

I have seen an FB comment on the SGC's page about th weekly episode rewatch on YouTube. It looks like they are on holiday in August, but there will be great news in September blablabla. It is beyond a joke that they are going away for a month, so nothing is setup automatically. And I am guessing they have to brainstorm hardly what to lie to convince people to pay for year 3. What never arriving gifts shall we promise? etc.

Comment

and this is why I never went in for the all access pass to many promises and no delivery

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            I have seen an FB comment on the SGC's page about th weekly episode rewatch on YouTube. It looks like they are on holiday in August, but there will be great news in September blablabla. It is beyond a joke that they are going away for a month, so nothing is setup automatically. And I am guessing they have to brainstorm hardly what to lie to convince people to pay for year 3. What never arriving gifts shall we promise? etc.
                            Yeah, they're on hiatus during the summer holidays.

Whatever great news there will be, it's only for the privileged few and those who drank the koolaid.

I reckon it'll be a hat. They've got the T-shirt for the US members, the patch for every other paying member + 3 extra months (remember), so next logical thing to add is a hat with the logo to show off their exclusiveness some more.

What does it matter anyway... most members are completely oblivious to the BS they're puling on a daily basis. They're in the business of tearing a community apart.

Comment

Who cares what they promise? I have never received any gifts from them. This whole app is amateurish. I didn't know why the MGM believed that a bunch of enthusiastic fans can manage it. Probably they were cheap or the GW seemed to be a really good reference work. But it is definately missing the professional background (like business plans, customer care, build customer loyality etc.) what they are doing. I won't say I would be much better if I could have been a Superfan, but fans will never criticize their own "work" (= fanism) as it would feel like sheeps are guarding themselves. So I believe this is the main reason they feel everything is perfect and they haven't done anything wrong, because sometimes you have to keep a distance of something to be able to lead it.

"I give you my word, the future of the Stargate franchise is in your hands."
                              was written in the first post in this thread. CJ and his promises... Never happened and he played his part of this illusion or amok run.
                              Last edited by Platschu; 05 August 2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Yeah, they definitely failed the franchise.

Comment

Working...
                                X