No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For one: Stargate Command, which appeared like Stargate Central for all shows, is no longer on the VRV streaming service.

But yesterday, I was able to enjoy two episodes of Stargate: Atlantis on YouTube — "First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe", a limited-time upload by the very official Stargate Command channel. The audio volume of the upload was low, though.

So, I got to see: Dr. Keller friendzone Aquaman. Of course, she didn't know he was Aquaman, and his adventure to the city-ship of Atlantis was just to make sure he got to Earth without the unenviable hassle of going thru the Tau'ri gate's passport security.

And Lt. Col. Sheppard in his prime.
    I had not seen those two episodes before, as my interest in ATL has been limited. In just a couple of days, each episode had garnered about 200,000 or so views. I could project, that for the duration of the two episodes being up, they likely got up to 500,000 views total. And that was probably without any promotion outside YouTube, AFAIK. There were ads before each episode.

Maybe that was a test to see if this model works.

Here's hoping, that there will be more such YouTube uploads in the future.
    • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
    • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
    • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Originally posted by Mardus View Post
      For one: Stargate Command, which appeared like Stargate Central for all shows, is no longer on the VRV streaming service.

But yesterday, I was able to enjoy two episodes of Stargate: Atlantis on YouTube — "First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe", a limited-time upload by the very official Stargate Command channel. The audio volume of the upload was low, though.

I had not seen those two episodes before, as my interest in ATL has been limited. In just a couple of days, each episode had garnered about 200,000 or so views. I could project, that for the duration of the two episodes being up, they likely got up to 500,000 views total. And that was probably without any promotion outside YouTube, AFAIK. There were ads before each episode.

Maybe that was a test to see if this model works.

They have been doing this since the beginning, releasing two episodes on YouTube for a limited time, accompanied by a "live rewatch" livestream. And they'll probably keep doing it for the near future. And nothing else happened so far, so it means nothing I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
        And nothing else happened so far, so it means nothing I'm afraid.
        Nothing has happened, but something is happening right! You said so NickEast. How about you give us a hint? For poor Unas'es left in the dark.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          Nothing has happened, but something is happening right! You said so NickEast. How about you give us a hint? For poor Unas'es left in the dark.
          Ominously sharpens his pitchfork while listening to the conversation
          sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            I said I knew something was happening. Something. Not that I know what it is... I'm not actually a part of anything (yet, hopefully). It's just because of some correspondence that I know something is going behind the curtain...

I hope I didn't just ruin everything for me by saying anything

Comment

Hasn't been there since January or so. Their contract ran out.

VRV was also US-only so it wouldn't have garnered any "outside" viewership.

They promote those "Wormhole wednesdays" on their twitter feed, and there are a couple of people who will talk about it on theirs, but beyond that, since they are reaccuring, most gaters already know they exist.

But why would we want to watch these episodes when they can't be bothered to extend their app/website. It clearly has little to do with rights or whatever.

Besides, decent quality and decent sound on my DVD's ... and commercial free.

Almost every wednesday at some local American time that is way passed my bedtime in European time.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Also, whatever "something" they're working on, NickEast, it's come too late.

I guess you could say they already leaked the new website/app they're working on with a different company than TopFan. Whatever it is, they can stick it where Ra doesn't shine.

How easily bought will the people be who are still waiting for their precious loot they were promised. Probably gonna fall for another scheme next time they have to cough up money for all-access.

Comment

I said I knew something was happening. Something. Not that I know what it is... I'm not actually a part of anything (yet, hopefully). It's just because of some correspondence that I know something is going behind the curtain...

I hope I didn't just ruin everything for me by saying anything
                  If you know anything, I would keep my mouth shut on details if I were you.
                  NDA's are not something to mess around with, unless you can slam dunk the other party.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    If you know anything, I would keep my mouth shut on details if I were you.
                    NDA's are not something to mess around with, unless you can slam dunk the other party.
                    What he said...

Also... you're at the level of Stargate Command cruel... and that's even less liked. Just saying... (and that's not talking personal dislike here -- they are slipping away into a frosty dislike among the general public).

Comment

I'll be that guy. Maybe he is full of it. Wouldn't be the first guy who claimed to have information who was lying to the fandom
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        What he said...

Also... you're at the level of Stargate Command cruel... and that's even less liked. Just saying... (and that's not talking personal dislike here -- they are slipping away into a frosty dislike among the general public).
                        It's not cruel, at least not with any intent. He seems to want to speak, but feels constrained, and that's sorta fair.
                        Do I think anything will happen though? Nope.
                        It's like YouTube channels that tell you "the real reason of XYZ", it keeps your hope alive and public interest.
                        Thing is, Stargate has no public interest, and that's the hard truth.
                        Then again, neither did the Avengers until someone wove a 23 movie/episode series to do it either.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I'll be that guy. Maybe he is full of it. Wouldn't be the first guy who claimed to have information who was lying to the fandom
                        I don't think there is enough to get to lying. Speaking to more than what you know?
                        Perhaps.
                        I trust no ONE, same as you mate.
                        sigpic

Comment

.. I know something is going behind the curtain...
                          ACT 2 - aka Episode 2 - aka Year 2

SGC leader 1 : - What shall we tell them this time? The crowd is getting more and more demanding.
                          SGC leader 2 : - We could tell them we are working on it... They love this phrase now. If it worked for Brad, maybe it will do it for us too.
                          SGC leader 1 : - We need something more original. I believe we should let false rumours spread about extension and their little patch and a potential live action spinoff...
                          SGC leader 2 : - ?????
                          SGC leader 1 : - ... and when they all start to hope then we will crush their hearts together, so we can break their spirit forever.
                          SGC leader 2 : - You are genious and evil.
                          SGC leader 1 : - Thanks you, cheers!

TO BE CONTINUED
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            ACT 2 - aka Episode 2 - aka Year 2

SGC leader 1 : - What shall we tell them this time? The crowd is getting more and more demanding.
                            SGC leader 2 : - We could tell them we are working on it... They love this phrase now. If it worked for Brad, maybe it will do it for us too.
                            SGC leader 1 : - We need something more original. I believe we should let false rumours spread about extension and their little patch and a potential live action spinoff...
                            SGC leader 2 : - ?????
                            SGC leader 1 : - ... and when they all start to hope then we will crush their hearts together, so we can break their spirit forever.
                            SGC leader 2 : - You are genious and evil.
                            SGC leader 1 : - Thanks you, cheers!

TO BE CONTINUED
                            Possibly true, all of it.
                            Why did NickEast request a public name change though?
                            That's asking for trouble.
                            sigpic

Comment

Uhm, careful with the hostility. Read first. I never said I knew anything. In fact, I actually explicitly said I don't, repeat don't, know anything. I said I know something is happening. That's it. That's literally everything I know. I didn't sign an NDA, because, as I also said, I'm not a part of anything. So no one told me anything. I have no inside information.

In case people still didn't read it: I don't know anything. I just know something is happening. Which is as much as anyone else.

At least I know now how careful you have to be with saying something. Some people seem to read too much in certain words, when they're to be taken literally.

Why did NickEast request a public name change though?
                              That's asking for trouble.
                              And what is the problem with changing a nickname that I used years ago which I now hate and wanted to change into a name I now use everywhere else? And the fact that it's almost a literal translation (aka, Anglicization) of my real name, considering my real (last) name is typical Dutch and very difficult to pronounce in English (and even then it sounds weird).

It appears more that other people are asking for trouble, or at least seeing problems where there aren't any.
                              Last edited by NickEast; 15 May 2019, 01:15 AM.

Comment

It's not cruel, at least not with any intent. He seems to want to speak, but feels constrained, and that's sorta fair.
                                He doesn't know anything... just like Gateworld doesn't know anything.

And I literally mean nothing -- just speculation, like we all know something but at the same time nothing.

Neither does Command -- they're just good at spinning tales.

Uhm, careful with the hostility.
                                Yeah sorry, I apologize... my laptop crashed on me because my sister unplugged it and it can't live without its electricity these days, and she forgot to point it out before I turned it on in passing. Wasn't in the best of moods.

No hard feelings... (my laptop is fine too).

And what is the problem with changing a nickname that I used years ago which I now hate and wanted to change into a name I now use everywhere else? And the fact that it's almost a literal translation (aka, Anglicization) of my real name, considering my real (last) name is typical Dutch and very difficult to pronounce in English (and even then it sounds weird).
                                @Gatefan -- he changed his name ages ago...

It appears more that other people are asking for trouble, or at least seeing problems where there aren't any.
                                We're all frustrated... or as Tom on Twitter calls it, we have gatefatigue.

Comment

Working...
                                X