Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 337380818283
Results 1,641 to 1,659 of 1659

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Quote Originally Posted by NickEast View Post
    Don't sell it short though. More recently I got in contact with a lot of people who know and play RPGs, and a lot of them very well know the Stargate RPG, even if they're not a fan of the shows or have never played it.

Moreover, the chances that MGM is behind this move is very very slim. It's more fair to assume it was Wyvern Gaming themselves who wanted to create the RPG and approached MGM to license it, as with the comics. MGM then merely licensed the IP to them, likely through that licensing company whatever its name is. It is then entirely up to Wyvern to fund, develop, and publish it. They in return pay royalties to MGM for the license. That is how a lot of licensing works, and that is also what happened with Star Trek Adventures, the recent Star Trek RPG.

For STA, they had to come up with funding (using Kickstarter), they had to develop it, with of course some influence from CBS to make sure the license is used properly and with some creative consultation, and they published it themselves. This is actually a good thing for Stargate, and something I hope will happen a lot more. MGM can just license it out and let the people that do care take care of everything with less "risk" to MGM (as long as they get the royalties). In all honesty, that's fine by me. At least it's better than leaving everything to MGM.
    RPG's strangely enough are going under a resurgence at this point in time. D&D5e, the rise of actors and directors willing to talk about their "geeky childhood" have normalized them to a degree. In addition, the sheer -connection- you get with other players if you play in a traditional table format fills a void that many people feel in our increasingly disconnected world.
    Given that RPG's rose in the shadow of the cold war, under a cloud of outright hate from the religious conservative movement, perhaps it's not so strange, just another bit of history repeating itself.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Moreover, the chances that MGM is behind this move is very very slim. It's more fair to assume it was Wyvern Gaming themselves who wanted to create the RPG and approached MGM to license it, as with the comics. MGM then merely licensed the IP to them, likely through that licensing company whatever its name is. It is then entirely up to Wyvern to fund, develop, and publish it. They in return pay royalties to MGM for the license.
    Wyvern indeed went to MGM and pitched them the RPG idea. They were granted a license.
    Kickstarter campaign is probably starting up in February 2020.

Iposted an interview with them with geeknative in the RPG thread.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

??? Let it be peace, gaters. There is no need to argue. Rather try to support the RPG book with some ideas, questions in the other thread. This one should be kept for hopeless projects...
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Wyvern indeed went to MGM and pitched them the RPG idea. They were granted a license.
    Kickstarter campaign is probably starting up in February 2020.

Iposted an interview with them with geeknative in the RPG thread.
    Yeah, I read that interview. I'm not too excited about the "narrative" they are going for though. It's even implied that with the kind of "default setting" they are going for, you won't be able to play as Tau'ri, but rather only as alien members of an even more secret sub-organization of the SGC called "Stargate Phoenix" (so Jaffa, Nox, non-Earth humans, and a new one designed for the game). Of course, that's just the defaults and you can make any game you want. So as long as the system contains rules for Earth equipment (weapons, armor, gadgets), then you can use stats for "alien" humans to still create Tau'ri characters.
    Stargatepedia: The Unofficial Repository of Knowledge
    (Under construction, PM if you want to contribute)

The Multiverse - Discord server dedicated to (Tabletop) Roleplaying, primarily Stargate, Star Trek, and a collaborative world.

Quote Originally Posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
    I've been with GateWorld too long to be called a liar.
    Err... who called you a liar?

Or is there a "rest of conversation" missing?

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/...december-2019/

Well... It was expected. And they can blame only themselves.

It's gold, just gold.

Somehow I feel relieved. I don't know why, and the future probably won't get any brighter.

The Multiverse - Discord server dedicated to (Tabletop) Roleplaying, primarily Stargate, Star Trek, and a collaborative world.

Well, buh bye.

I am neither happy nor sad. They have managed to kill my emotional connection to the app in May.I believe that was the real end of the app and then the rest was just an intensive agony.

But I still love Stargate, I still want more spin-off just not with this leadershipand their non existing user friendly attitude. Let's say it, their business plan experiment has failed. I hate when I am right, but I was right about it. We will see what the future holds, but I am guessing this was a new nail in the sarcophagus of the Stargate franchise.

lol From the letter:
    We’ve learned that while you’ve supported our platform and mission, you prefer to engage with the franchise and fellow fans on communities where you already are: Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
    It’s not like they gave us a choice when they changed the format.
    They took away our voices then.

Well, on the bright side it appears all the new stuff like Dialing Home and such will finally be available worldwide on YouTube.

It's gold, just gold.
    I LOL'd so hard when I read it on twitter...

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
    Well, on the bright side it appears all the new stuff like Dialing Home and such will finally be available worldwide on YouTube.
    YT also has geoblocking settings so I'll believe it when I see it.

I love the irony about the "mission"? What mission?! The one which are you working on it? (Alias how to find a server wholesaler to extend the service.)

This quoted Twitter entry clearly shows that they haven't learnt anything and they will never admit they have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    I love the irony about the "mission"? What mission?! The one which are you working on it?
    I swear, the line "we're working on it" will forever be connected with Stargate Command.

And the irony... they literally have nothing to show for it... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL ....

Maybe it is a Halloween joke like a late 1st April. 7 months is nothing. It can happen with the same reaction speed how they delivered the promised patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    YT also has geoblocking settings so I'll believe it when I see it.
    Well, if it’s a problem I’m sure they’ll work on it.

"We’ve learned that while you’ve supported our platform and mission, you prefer to engage with the franchise and CLOSED OUT fans on communities where you already are: Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. "

This would have sounded better. By the way just 2 more little observations:
    1. "learned" - you mean you disappointedly noticed in a sour taste of your mouth
    2. "where you already are" - basically everywhere else

Truly sad and ridicolous. When I hear the phrase that somebody is on a mission then I envision somebody who feeds the poor, solve the climate problems, discover medicines, defeat an enemy. But not the SG:C. Their mission was clearer than the path of Destiny : give Stargate to everyone who is willing to pay for it. Then it hasn't happened.

Maybe it is a Halloween joke like a late 1st April. 7 months is nothing. It can happen with the same reaction speed how they delivered the promised patches.
    There's a slight delay...

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
    Well, if it’s a problem I’m sure they’ll work on it.

This will never not be funny.

Also, the Gateworld article speaks of 75,000 subscribers and they are shutting the platform down because you know, those numbers aren't cutting it.

Stargate Command has 61,000 followers on twitter, of which a good portion are bots.
    The YouTube Channel currently has 75,900 subscribers (also includes bots)
    294,000 likes, of which 281,000 are followers on Facebook.
    And 28,000 followers on Instagram.

They'll have to close their Twitter and Instagram too, considering how it's lagging behind...

The thread has became dead really quickly.

I have rea-read a few pages and I have realised we have talked a lot! It is good to see the conversations in the events of the app. Hope about announcement at diffrent cins, then disapoointment, hope again, even more disappointment. We have all predicted how this Amok run will end, so it wasn't a surprise they will be closed down, the question was when.

Now as the extreme short grief period about the app has ended, what are we going to do? Have we got any options? Just because I was wondering whether a fan film or any project could move things ahead. We can't count on MGM at the moment, so maybe it would be time to do something SG related by ourselves. There are so many talented people here. A comic? An animation? A computer game? A live action short fan film? Even the French fans have got their precious new gate replica now, but I am guessing it is too heavy and too expensive instead of using some CGI gate. Let's brainstorm something!

The thread has became dead really quickly.

I have rea-read a few pages and I have realised we have talked a lot! It is good to see the conversations in the events of the app. Hope about announcement at diffrent cins, then disapoointment, hope again, even more disappointment. We have all predicted how this Amok run will end, so it wasn't a surprise they will be closed down, the question was when.

Now as the extreme short grief period about the app has ended, what are we going to do? Have we got any options? Just because I was wondering whether a fan film or any project could move things ahead. We can't count on MGM at the moment, so maybe it would be time to do something SG related by ourselves. There are so many talented people here. A comic? An animation? A computer game? A live action short fan film? Even the French fans have got their precious new gate replica now, but I am guessing it is too heavy and too expensive instead of using some CGI gate. Let's brainstorm something!
    What I wanted to do was play and record my (solo) TTRPG sessions in episodic form. I also planned to, instead of making another Wiki, create "lore videos", kind of like the instructional videos with Daniel Jackson. All told from an in-universe perspective, and all canon (so no fan theories and the like, for now). I came up with this because I wanted to get more into recording, voice acting, and presenting.

It's going slow, due to a few reasons, but I'm hoping to be able to do this in a short enough time span.