MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Living the dream my friend, living the dream.
    He pretty much always is....
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      He pretty much always is....
      Dreaming?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Dreaming?

Quite possibly yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          I am just kidding. Since English is not my native language and I am not a professional writer at all, so I wouldn't have any chance.
          It's not my first language either. Don't ever let it discourage you from doing anything.

Comment

Thank you. We all love this franchise. Probably I won't be the next Kevin Feige or Brad Wright, but this franchise needs someone who could be as passionate as them. As I said many times, this scifi world could grow into something much bigger. Because let's face it, it was always a relatively cheap scifi show. I know other series even haven't had the average 2-2,5 million dollar production budget at that time. We always had some really big episodes, maybe 6-8 out of 20 (season opener, mid-season two part, season finale), then 8-10 average and 4-6 really cheap ones. When they have used the existing sets and only a few props to write a character driven stories (like body swap, possessed by alien liferforms, erased memories etc.)

But if we look around nowadays, quality increases the number of viewers. As I said before the viewers must be impressed, so this old financial SG modell wouldn't work. 20-25 years have passed. If you check the computer games, they can create such alien worlds, first contact situations, space battles, clever characters, rich lores that SG must really be much better in the future SG projects. Cheap solutions wouldn't work anymore.

Just check the super-expensive Star Trek : Discovery, where they can spend 8-9 million dollars per episode. Season 2 trailer looks so promising like a blockbuster movie. Imagine what the SG producers could make from that budget! Even the Lost City and the Rising was around 5 million dollars 15 years ago, so if every episode could get a moderate 4-5 million dollar per episode budget then we could see something new and exciting.

And there are companies who can still afford to risk money and to invest into scifi. It is good to see that such productions like Orville or Altered Carbon happens. I know that Netflix plays in a different financial league and our medium sized SG tv franchise would never get that support. Just I can see the wasted potential what I expressed many many times. The "competitors" are planning ahead, while I feel the Stargate is just stuck in the sarcophagus even if they opened it slightly with Origins.

The SG franchise could easily maintain 2-3 new spinoffs while they could make an anthology type series of TV movies as well. All what they have to do is planning ahead to have some "phases" like Marvel did. They have to plan the different eras of Stargate or how many gate system exist, so they should really extend the lore to see the past and the the future as this new creativity could literally open so many new gates. And they have to find that person who could really keep everything together. So I really hope that Brad Wright will announce his return to his creative love child and they will start a new spin-off next year, but he can't do anything without the financial support.

Just imagine:

2019 January - Stargate : Origins season 2
            2019 April - untitled SG Jaffa story 1
            2019 July - untitled SG Jaffa story 2
            2019 September - Stargate : Origins season 3
            2019 December - premiere of untitled SG spin off 1 - first half
            2020 January - Stargate : Origins season 4
            2020 July - premiere of untitled SG spin off 1 - second half

etc.

So we could get an Origins story every 3 months, then maybe a mini series or new spinoff (6-10 episodes) every 6 months. The fans could be pleased as they would always get something new for their money. The SG:C would be payable twice a year, but then they have to announce new SG contents. They should provide at least 20 weeks of new material in a year. And obviously they have to extend the service to international fans or they have to produce such SG shows which can be distributed to other countries.
            Last edited by Platschu; 06 August 2018, 12:21 AM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

There's no international access coming. They pretty much confirmed that with that reply to my enquiry so no thanks on any future Origin story. I'm not paying for a digital download after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                There's no international access coming. They pretty much confirmed that with that reply to my enquiry so no thanks on any future Origin story. I'm not paying for a digital download after the fact.
                I would be surprised if they would go for the same business models for any potential new series. Obviously this mini-webseries was designed to test the waters and keep the costs at a minimum.

My guess is that any future material will be globally accessible so I wouldn't worry about that FH.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

My guess is that any future material will be globally accessible so I wouldn't worry about that FH.
                  Origins is also available worldwide -- after the 6 elite countries spoiled it rotten for everyone else.

Seriously, I didn't go and see Infinity Wars until weeks after it premiered and not a single spoiler was released onto my timeline. I didn't have to block or mute a single Marvel fan or Marvel account in order to remain unspoiled. Stargate, on the other hand, made it a sport to spoil the whole thing, in grand detail, and yes Gateworld is unfortunately complicit to the spoiling but at least they explained the reason why the images they used were used. And made it quite clear on the forum that spoilers had to be behind spoiler-tags. Stargate Command didn't even bother to follow their own spoiler-rules.

But like I said... after the fact, not interested.

Comment

Well to be honest, I am not a Marvel fan but what I can tell you for sure is that my timeline and other medias I browse were COMPLETELY flooded with spoilers and posts for Infinity Wars. But maybe it wasn't the case for you.

As for the SGC app, I recall people spoiling a lot yes, but I thought it was to be expected. You're on the app that was kind of specifically made for Origins... I think the main reason people didn't care is because of the lenght of the mini series. Most people weren't aware that some countries were GeoBlocked therefore assumed that everyone took a hour or so to watch the whole thing I guess?

I personally do not trust people online to keep me away from spoilers. I stay well away from these medias until I've watched the content. Game of Thrones was pretty bad for that, TWD too.
                    Spoiler:
                    Carl died
                    , and literally 15 seconds after I refreshed my page there was a post about it on my feed.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

As for the SGC app, I recall people spoiling a lot yes, but I thought it was to be expected. You're on the app that was kind of specifically made for Origins...
                      Stargate Command put a message on their news feed about spoilers and to keep them under wraps -- they literally broke their own rules.

When it was too late for me, I did find a way to block all images on the website, and when I say all, I literally mean all of them, and that website is build up of images so it was quite a hilarious sight to be honest. For the first time, it actually fit on my screen.

Most people weren't aware that some countries were GeoBlocked therefore assumed that everyone took a hour or so to watch the whole thing I guess?
                      Episodes were released on a weekly basis, except for the first 20 minutes or so.

And true, most are not aware, still, that Command is blocked to most everyone, and those that know simply didn't bother.
                      By the way, if you point it out that Command is geoblocking everyone but 6 countries, the answer usually goes along the lines of "then download illegally" or "use VPN" (doesn't work by the way) but the last one was a gem:

(about using VPN and how it doesn't work, but clearly that message didn't reach across quite well, or the other party has no clue how VPN works -- could be)

"Find one that works, shut up and enjoy the ride for once. Ruining the perk for the rest of us won't earn you any props."

I shared this reply with Stargate Command and MGM cause that's how the community works these days.

We are clearly an inconvenience and shouldn't bother the elite with our petty needs so that they can enjoy their perks. How swollen is your head in such case.

I personally do not trust people online to keep me away from spoilers. I stay well away from these medias until I've watched the content.
                      That's easy for you to say.

I'm not going to hide beneath a rock because someone can't keep their mouth shut. I would think it's common courtesy to let everyone enjoy something to the fullest without spoiling it. Accidental spoiling has happened to anyone, even I have done that and apologized profusely for it, but spilling the beans because you think you're the only one who has the "perk" to enjoy something -- well, no points from me.

Also, for the record... the big film releases (not the smaller ones) are in Europe before the US. I have threatened to spoil films in retaliation (in PM's to the offender of course). I could spoil Game of Thrones before series had caught up with books but not anymore.

Comment

Well the VPN should work but that's irrelevant, nobody should have to resort to that.

As for the comments... The Internet is dark and full of trolls. This is a land where courtesy is scarce and spoilers numerous!
                        Spoiler:

Comment

"The universe is infinite and full of stargates."
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Well the VPN should work but that's irrelevant, nobody should have to resort to that.
                            In theory it does work, but in practice it doesn't.
                            A few have tried and then the loophole got closed and all those who went in using VPN lost access to all-access and their money cause no refund.

Besides, you may be hiding your IP which is something I do quite a few times for different reasons, but you can't hide your actual real life location which is required when registering. Unless you're not in it for all the perks that go with all-access.

Oh, and let's not forget the "free" code to Origins which is also geoblocked to the 6 countries and where VPN is absolutely pointless.

Comment

Well a VPN allows you to encrypt your connection and transit via a server located in another country. It is actually quite possible to do exactly this, but yea you would have to go through a lot of trouble since you need to register as you said, therefore providing a billing address etc.

But what would I know, I'm no sinner
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Having just read this entire thread from start to finish, after not having been active on GW for like 3 years...

I would not have paid for the stupid all-access if I had known months back that it wasn't being offered to all countries around the globe. I understand the frustration and ire against TPTB who decided to go that route, and frankly I wasn't impressed with the 10 minute segments that my computer had a hard time with, considering that I also use streaming for Amazon Prime and don't have that issue.

I've seen Origins, and frankly wasn't impressed with what should have been easy to do sfx given today's technology, versus 15-20 years ago when they were doing certain things. Hearing bits of the original music score, and seeing the same wormhole sfx I remember from the pilot episode of SG-1 made me grin like a giddy schoolgirl... which I am a few decades away from being anymore. I can see how it is supposed to fit, aside from needing to review the Isis in the ocean comment mentioned a bit back in this thread. As I'm doing a rewatch of SG-1 right now... I'm up to season 2... I'll look for that.

I'll be in Vancouver in September for Gatecon, and now I'll be listening eagerly to hear some explanations for things. One can only hope, right?

And FH, I'm writing a fanfic alt of SGA where Heightmeyer is alive (and dating a nice USAF officer) and Elizabeth Weir still runs things as they should be run. As long as those of us who love the shows write fanfic, either for publishing online or just because characters won't shut up, I personally don't feel that the Stargate franchise will ever die. I do wish there were more audio dramas, though, because I find those far superior to a number of the Fandemonium books, mainly due to inaccuracies or obvious shipping by the authors.
                                Monica Zelenka lover since 2004! RDA fan since 1985! Lorne fan since 2003!
                                sigpic
                                Lady Pandora
                                Atlantis Series: Retrospective Ruminations Unexpected

Comment

Working...
                                X