Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    *raises hands*

I kinda liked it. It has many flaws, yes, and could have been far better but I liked it.
    Then again, I went in with little to no expectations, other than that I kinda fell hook, line and sinker for Ellie Gall but I never expected to love those oddballs so much.
    But you have your fair share of criticism too, including about the continuity. Others just accept it and even outright shoot down anyone who says it's not canon.

I too "kinda" liked it. My opinion hasn't changed, but I treated it separate from the rest of the franchise. But as a Stargate fan, I ignore Origins completely like Infinity. I'm even insulted when people refer to the show in line with the others; e.g. "the four shows SG-1, SGA, SGU and SGO"; Origins isn't a "show", it's just a short webseries formatted as a direct-to-streaming film, and certainly not anywhere near the three true shows.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
      But you have your fair share of criticism too, including about the continuity. Others just accept it and even outright shoot down anyone who says it's not canon.

I too "kinda" liked it. My opinion hasn't changed, but I treated it separate from the rest of the franchise. But as a Stargate fan, I ignore Origins completely like Infinity. I'm even insulted when people refer to the show in line with the others; e.g. "the four shows SG-1, SGA, SGU and SGO"; Origins isn't a "show", it's just a short webseries formatted as a direct-to-streaming film, and certainly not anywhere near the three true shows.
      Indeed I do, and I agree with part 2.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I asked the support team of Stargate Command about international access to the Dial Home interviews, the behind the scenes stuff and other interviews locked away behind all-access, and I got the most ellaborate "We're working on it" reply back. I have to say, it did make me laugh a little cause I did say in my mail that I didn't want to hear 'We're working on it.' and they didn't, not in those words anyway:

"Thank you for reaching out to us.

While we would love to advise you definitively that we will not be extending Access availability to other countries, we are unable to do so. Extending access is a continuing discussion for our team which is why we ask you to stay updated through our social media platforms and website.
        "

Comment

I asked the support team of Stargate Command about international access to the Dial Home interviews, the behind the scenes stuff and other interviews locked away behind all-access, and I got the most ellaborate "We're working on it" reply back. I have to say, it did make me laugh a little cause I did say in my mail that I didn't want to hear 'We're working on it.' and they didn't, not in those words anyway:

"Thank you for reaching out to us.

While we would love to advise you definitively that we will not be extending Access availability to other countries, we are unable to do so. Extending access is a continuing discussion for our team which is why we ask you to stay updated through our social media platforms and website.
          "
          This is the first time I hear someone saying they are unwilling to state they are not doing something. It's nice that it's a "continuing discussion", but what is there to discuss? Instead of saying this can't they say why it's taking so long? Why does it need "discussion"? Either they can, or they can't. If they can, why not do it? If they can't, why not say it?

This is just rubbing salt in our wounds. And it's making me salty (pun intended).

Comment

This is just rubbing salt in our wounds. And it's making me salty (pun intended).
            I'm already far beyond salty... acid?

Comment

I'm already far beyond salty... acid?
              That could work.

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...targate-story/
                So maybe we get a Jaffa Origins story... Honestly it looks a bit boring for me, but if they could bring back Apophis then maybe it could be interesting.

Brad Wright will attend at the convention in Vancouver this September, so maybe we will get some announcement at that time. I am still greatly disappointed how they fooled us this year and nothing happened. I know it is not Chris Judge's fault, but he also misleaded fans at the last few conventions, what was not really nice. MGM is hopelessly unorganised with this frachise. Nobody knows anything. We don't know what will happen with the SG:C platform, whether they will extend it or ask for our money without any new content? It is a joke. Just check the Orville s2 or Discovery s2 trailers and then compare it the SG:O. They have wasted the San Diego Comic Con for nothing. Maybe they are are ahead of dealing about the Jaffa stories, but the actors were not allowed to talk about it. I don't know.

I have briefly readed the terms of Tongal. Only US citizen can win in any pitch / fan fiction competition and you really have to give up all your legal rights to achieve it. So a big NO from me. I really would like to support the franchise, so if BW could return they could collect fan ideas then the winners could get a credit as a "story by". That would be more helpful, but official writers were never allowed to read such brainstormings because what if somebody claims they have reused their ideas without authorization.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  Brad Wright will attend at the convention in Vancouver this September, so maybe we will get some announcement at that time.
                  There's a comment on that story by Darren which implies the same, that there might be something at Gatecon... but with the San Diego Comic Con fiasco, I'd say I'll believe when I see it.

I am still greatly disappointed how they fooled us this year and nothing happened.
                  Nope, I didn't get fooled. I wanted to be proven wrong very badly but I didn't think they would. I was pretty much expecting nothing of the sorts. It fits with the "we're working on it" theme.

I know it is not Chris Judge's fault, but he also misleaded fans at the last few conventions, what was not really nice.
                  Perhaps it was unintentional. After all, he probably doesn't know any more than you or I.

MGM is hopelessly unorganised with this frachise. Nobody knows anything. We don't know what will happen with the SG:C platform, whether they will extend it or ask for our money without any new content? It is a joke. Just check the Orville s2 or Discovery s2 trailers and then compare it the SG:O. They have wasted the San Diego Comic Con for nothing.
                  Actually, MGM isn't actively involved in any of what is currently happening.

Stargate Origins: Catherine is produced by Vanishing Angle, where Mercedes Bryce Morgan is one of the directors. She's also an Executive Producer on SG:O which means she invested or pulled in investors from outside. Vanishing Angle has money in this game. MGM and its subsidiary United Artists are only responsible for distribution (MGM in the USA, UA internationally).

And StargateCommand.co is run by a team of freelance consultants, not directly affiliated with MGM. They are fans though. Jenny Stiven's credentials are proper Geek-affirmed.

Legion M was the sole organizer of the meet-up and the screening, which was mostly populated with 150 invites -- Legion M members and special guests. There were only 50 regular fans allowed in. They had to be all-access and were on a first-come-first-serve basis.

I think the only thing that Stargate Command had a hand in organizing was the panel with Chris, Tony, Darren, Darryl, Kieran, Jenny, 2 hobby prop-makers and the Tongal guy. The panel was about the fandom, comics, fanfics, fanlore, props and the good old times. That's how it was advertised. Fans just assumed there were would be another announcement, but I guess you have to have on the other side of that big exclusive wall to know that they're masterful at deceiving and not saying what they mean so that it's open to interpretation.

Of course, this risks major disappointment.

Stargate wasn't even trending... I think that says plenty.

MGM had a booth at SDCC alongside 20th Century FOX Home Entertainment.

I don't even think Stargate Command had a booth this year.

I have briefly readed the terms of Tongal. Only US citizen can win in any pitch / fan fiction competition and you really have to give up all your legal rights to achieve it. So a big NO from me.
                  Err... no, it's not US only... from the general rules:

Projects are not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Government of Sudan, and Quebec, or to other individuals restricted by U.S. export controls and sanctions, and is void in any other nation, state, or province where prohibited or restricted by U.S. or local law. The following individuals are not eligible to participate in a Project: employees, contractors, directors and officers of Tongal or the sponsor of a Project (the "Sponsor") identified on the applicable Project Details Pages for such Project, and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, distributors, web design, advertising, fulfillment, judging and Project agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of such Project (collectively, "Project Parties"), and any spouse, parent or child of any of the Project Parties.

...so if BW could return they could collect fan ideas then the winners could get a credit as a "story by". That would be more helpful, but official writers were never allowed to read such brainstormings because what if somebody claims they have reused their ideas without authorization.
                  And official pitches have to come from agents. Mallozzi always hammered on it that official story ideas had to come through agents.

Tongal has so many T's to cross and I's to dot that a regular joe or jane will never be able to pitch anything anyway.

Comment

"or to other individuals restricted by U.S. export controls and sanctions"

So that basically excludes the entire EU and China as well, considering Fake President Trump's economic sanctions

Comment

"or to other individuals restricted by U.S. export controls and sanctions"

So that basically excludes the entire EU and China as well, considering Fake President Trump's economic sanctions
                      That's only on certain goods like alluminium -- which I luckily buy in Canada.

Comment

That's only on certain goods like alluminium -- which I luckily buy in Canada.
                        Good thing it doesn't include naquadah

Comment

Good thing it doesn't include naquadah
                          That would be awkward.

Comment

Probably because it's not actually SG-1 canon like MGM claims (who also say the Legacy book series is canon, and the American Mythology season 6 comics are canon) but Stargate (1994) canon which predates SG-1 canon and SG-1 breaks canon on too.
                            It is, though. Something getting aspects wrong or doing them different doesn't mean they aren't part of the same canon or universe. I think you're confusing canon with continuity. The Stargate movie and all the shows take place in the same canon/universe, but the continuity between the movie and the show or even SG1 and later parts of the show aren't quite the same; as elements were retconned, updated or changed, the continuity was no longer there for those things - they're both part of the same canon, but aspects of them might not be how they actually are in canon anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                              It is, though. Something getting aspects wrong or doing them different doesn't mean they aren't part of the same canon or universe. I think you're confusing canon with continuity. The Stargate movie and all the shows take place in the same canon/universe, but the continuity between the movie and the show or even SG1 and later parts of the show aren't quite the same; as elements were retconned, updated or changed, the continuity was no longer there for those things - they're both part of the same canon, but aspects of them might not be how they actually are in canon anymore.
                              It directly contradicts information that is revealed in SG-1, or have you forgotten that Isis should be at the bottom of the atlantic with her mate Osiris. It's not canon with SG-1, nor is it in continuity with SG-1. It is in continuity with Stargate 1994 and fits perfectly inside the canon of that universe.

Comment

It directly contradicts information that is revealed in SG-1, or have you forgotten that Isis should be at the bottom of the atlantic with her mate Osiris. It's not canon with SG-1, nor is it in continuity with SG-1. It is in continuity with Stargate 1994 and fits perfectly inside the canon of that universe.
                                As i just said though, contradictions don't mean it's non-canon, simply having contradictions doesn't mean the entire thing is suddenly non-canon, that isn't how canon works. Retcons are a very common thing, SG1 made a few retcons to the movie and so did the other shows. A retcon even stands for "Retroactive Continuity", meaning the continuity has been updated or replaced so that you just assume it's how the later thing shows it. Something like the actor for Warmachine in Iron Man changing from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle doesn't suddenly mean the movie was made non-canon, it was just a retcon. It's the same with Stargate - the movie/the show aren't suddenly non-canon to each other because there were continuity problems because of retcons.

You're right about how she shouldn't be there...which is why it wasn't actually her in Origins, from what i've read. While i don't have access to them, the mission detail stuff on the Stargate Command site apparantly says that it's a clone of her; they thought about the problem and solved it.

There is only one Stargate canon and that encompases the movie, SG1, Atantis, Universe and Origins. They are not part of seperate universes or canon, they all take place in one setting.

The movie doesn't "fit perfectly" inside the continuity orcanon of just the movie if you took that as a separate canon to SG1, because there's a DHD, Catherine isn't Swedish etc. There are elements that only fit if the show and movie are part of the same thing.

Origins is canon with SG1, which is canon with the movie - they are not seperate universes at all, there has never been any indication of that. They all take place in the same setting, but the movie continuity doesn't fully line up fully with SG1 because there were Retcons. Origins has some continuity problems, like the look of the gate, but it's still canon.

Comment

Working...
                                X