Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3979868788899091 LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 1801
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Except CBS who has announced a new animated Star Trek spin-off. Again. There are Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks, Prodigy and Section 31 now. Unbelieveable. I wish the Stargate franchisewould expand with this speed.
    Yeah okay... they seem to have found their stride.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

He also posted this on Reddit.
    https://old.reddit.com/r/Stargate/co...ll_im/fzh4mr4/

I, and I think most fans, are not interested in a ****ty reboot that wipes out the existing canon.

We have waited so long that such little tricks can't fool us anymore. I still remember how CJ has made sworn an oath about continuation (check the first post in this thread), but then nothing has happened. That was 3 years ago! I will be satisfied only when we get official confirmation from MGM that they have ordered a new Stargate tv movie / mini-series / spinoff.
    Last edited by Platschu; August 4th, 2020 at 12:16 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

We have waited so long that such little tricks can't fool us anymore. i still remember how CJ has made swore an oath about continuation (check the first post in this thread), but then nothing has happened. That was 3 years ago! I will be satisfied only when we get official confirmation from MGM that they have ordered a new Stargate tv movie / mini-series / spinoff.
    I agree 100%.

We have waited so long that such little tricks can't fool us anymore. i still remember how CJ has made swore an oath about continuation (check the first post in this thread), but then nothing has happened. That was 3 years ago! I will be satisfied only when we get official confirmation from MGM that they have ordered a new Stargate tv movie / mini-series / spinoff.
    The day it airs, is the day I'll believe it...
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

I just want to be a tiny little spider in the writers' room. It would be my dream job to be a "creative consultant", but it will never go to happen.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I just want to be a tiny little spider in the writers' room. It would be my dream job to be a "creative consultant", but it will never go to happen.
    That's what RPG's (no, not Rocket Propelled Grenade launchers) are for.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Yep. You are probably right. Professional work must be left for professional writers.

Every professional writer starts out as an amateur and a wannabe.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEast View Post
    Yup.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by NickEast View Post
    A few do stumble into writing professionally, which is endlessly frustrating for a lot of writers because most spend years toiling away before getting published.

I just recently read about a bestselling author who is where he is because of Facebook. He was a professional auctioneer who described never having an ambition to be a writer. He was just bored one day, so he started writing stories about his life on Facebook and the next he knew he was getting calls from publishing companies because a friend of his printed out his stories and, without telling him, sent them out.

JK Rowling is my role model. Nobody has believed in her, but then she has showed her skills and fantasy.

I know show business doesn't work like that, but maybe the next generation Stargate show could ask the fans what do they want to hear about. Even some story ideas could be sent in and then the professional writers could get insipiration like an open writers' room. Just the contributors would feel they have used their ideas while they haven't got anything in return. So this legality issues are the main problem while no tv shows work with opened writers' room. Stargate has accepted a few individual scripts (like Red Sky) from guest writers.

I'm even more ambitious and would really like to see Stargate's IP to become semi-public domain, like some kind of foundation or institution that oversees the IP. Instead of letting a single big media company control it 100%, let everyone create their own stories how they want to without fear of getting shut down. Keep a tight leash on continuity, to clearly define what is canon with respect to the TV franchise, while having any number of alternate realities a la Marvel/DC. Then when someone comes along with a great idea for a TV show or movie, let them make it, whether it's a direct continuation of the primary canon, or an alternate reality (reboot). Let them. Because then at least there would be a far wider range of stories for people to enjoy, as opposed to putting all eggs in one basket where the people that don't like the single new show can do nothing.

But of course, that likely means less profit for the bigwigs at said media company, if any profit at all. Nobody cares about the fans, and woe those who show any sign of criticism towards something "new". They get burned at the stake for not believing in their almighty creator... it seems fandom is getting more religious and some "fans" are becoming true zealots these days, finally becoming true to the definition of the word "fan". Either you like everything, or they get angry at you for criticizing the new show/movie and basically force you to shut up and leave.

I just finished Star Trek Enterprise, and like Stargate, and a ton of other shows I loved as a kid, I will never be able to enjoy anything new ever again, since everything new is now so vastly different that in the future no one will ever go back to doing something even remotely like the originals. Like Disney focusing on the new Star Wars canon and not creating anything for the original EU anymore, or focusing entirely on Pixar or in-house 3D-animated films and "live action reboots" instead of making traditionally-animated movies.

Here I am putting a damper on everyone's mood again... maybe it's the heat that's getting to me...
    Last edited by NickEast; August 9th, 2020 at 04:50 AM.

I wouldn't see the world as sad. This is a golden age of television where billions are spent on new materials. We love Stargate, but it needs to evolve itself. I mean 20 years have passed. New era, new viewers, new expectations. It is really hard to please the old loyal fans while they were meant to gain new fans as well. I am a bit worried that even if we could get a BW written new SG tv movie / mini-series / spin-off then some fans won't be satisfied with the result. Has our disfunctioning fan family agreed on anything in the peak times? Not really. Some groups wanted this, some groups wanted that. Maybe that is the reason why staff members try to avoid fans even if we are the best resource what the target audience want. So anyway just because the times have changed, it does't mean that they can't try it or nobody would never ever write new spinoffs to an existing, popular franchise. Like I wouldn't be overly happy about a rebooted SG-1, not because it wouldn't be a great show, but I am emotionally attached to the old characters and sligthly old "style" of stories. So reboot is a big no for me. But anything else would be an experience. Even a negative one is an experience because fans need new materials to talk about. Everybody has got "mixed" opinion about the Catherine movie, but as I look back now, it is still a solid, little, enjoyable SG adventure. It was definately not perfect or too good, but at least it was something after years of silence. And the audience want more, so I can only hope BW will be back or his heritage will be handed over to someoen who will continue his legacy.

JK Rowling is my role model. Nobody has believed in her, but then she has showed her skills and fantasy.
    Those publishing companies who turned her down, have regretted that action a hundred times over already.

Stargate has accepted a few individual scripts (like Red Sky) from guest writers.
    You need an agent if you want your stories to be elligible. Joe Mallozzi has mentioned this a few times. They don't even take a second look at script ideas that don't come in through agents.

So, get an agent and start writing... or start writing and get an agent more like.

Stargate has accepted a few individual scripts (like Red Sky) from guest writers.
    My understanding was that Ron Wilkerson was hired onto the writing staff for the whole of season 5. During his tenure, he chiefly worked as a story editor, but he also wrote several scripts starting with "Red Sky." He seems to have left his staff position after that and returned only twice to contribute to the creation of a script in the latter seasons.

Why do you think he was just a guest writer?

Probably because he was there for only a few episodes and not necessarily for the whole tenure of the show.

Or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Probably because he was there for only a few episodes and not necessarily for the whole tenure of the show.

Or something similar.
    It's not unusual for a hired staff writer to only work on a single season. Sometimes it's because they're only given a trial period. Other times they decide to move on for a variety of reasons. In Wilkerson's case, it's probably the latter since he maintained a good enough relationship to contribute to an outline/treatment for season 6 and to co-write a season 8 episode. I obviously don't know what happened, but I frankly wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with Showtime's cancellation; he may have found a new gig before word came down that the Sci Fi channel was picking up the show.

In any case, he wrote four episodes for season 5, and he was the story editor for 17 episodes, starting with the season premiere, so he was very much a full-time staff writer during his brief time with the show.

Okay, I was not aware of his role. Thank you for the update.

I believe Martin Gero would be a good choice again. He was my favorite as he could introduce some creative ideas. He is a showrunner for different shows and even if the Blindspot is cancelled after season 5, I doubt that the would come back for a new Stargate spinoff.

What I wanted to say that the writers could ask the fans which characters or plots were interesting and they should write stories about those. I don't know how they monitor the fandom if any of them look around here undercover because maybe our little madhouse here must be confusing.

You're gonna alienate a lot of fans if that's your plan... just saying... I'm not waiting around decades to have Sam/Jack shuffed down my throat at every turn... just to name an example.

Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3979868788899091 LastLast