MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    If they could release a BD version of SG-1 than maybe some fans would consider to buy it, but it would also cost millions to upgrade the image quality and the special effects.
    The early seasons of SG-1 are not elligible for such treatment since they were filmed on film -- not digital.
    They would have be to redone entirely -- digitally speaking.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    No, that's square-root-of-answer ;p
    LOL
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The early seasons of SG-1 are not elligible for such treatment since they were filmed on film -- not digital.
      They would have be to redone entirely -- digitally speaking.
      It's actually the other way around. Footage shot on film can easily be remastered and scaled to perfect HD because film doesn't use pixels. Digital recordings are limited to the pixels; you can't have what doesn't exist so a single pixel becomes blurred across multiple pixels. That's why very, very old films look so good on Blu-ray after being remastered. Of course, old effects will look much worse. Look at Star Trek The Motion Picture; it looks very good, until you see the Enterprise in the drydock with stars shining through its hull, or bits of the drydock not existing because the model is cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
        Of course, old effects will look much worse.
        Half right then...

Comment

The view from where I'm standing...

NoAccess.png

...since September 2017 and counting...

Comment

Reminder to those who have the option to buy all-access (not me), all-access ends May, 15, 2018, which is....

...from now.

Comment

Cue sarcasm: Well, SGO should be "finished" by then, so plenty of time to watch the episodes. Oh wait, All Access is only available in a small region of planet Earth. Bummer.

SGC: "Yeah, we're working on it".
              Us: "But it's only three months".
              SGC: "We're still working on it".

Three months later:
              Us: "Well, how 'bout now?"
              SGC: "Yeah, uhm... the good news is we've manage to get things sorted, so All-Access is now available world-wide. But... uhm... We no longer have All-Access."
              Us: "Oh, for cryin' out loud!"

Comment

Well, perhaps that's the problem... when it ends May 15, it's open to all. By which I mean, streaming goes away -- all series, and movies -- so perhaps then access is granted to Stargate Origins (far too late but ah well..).

Comment

I just wonder how they want to measure success in any other case, Falcon, because if they will not release it for all to watch at some point, they have no real impression of how successful it really would be

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                    I just wonder how they want to measure success in any other case, Falcon, because if they will not release it for all to watch at some point, they have no real impression of how successful it really would be
                    Remember, the first 20 minutes are free for all, which basically means that they could be used to gather the information they need to determine whether their venture is worth pursuing or not.

I mean, the viewing numbers for the last 80 minutes are set. They have the data on everyone who bought all-access. That data has been collected and hand-delivered to the digital department team (or marketing team or business unit) of MGM. It's what TopFan does -- collect data and help companies monetize their products to the people who are most likely to buy it.

Knowing (and you can quote me on that) that the site registers your IP-address, it would register IP's of those watching those first 20 minutes and those numbers will most likely be much higher than the set-in-stone numbers of the number of all-access acounts.

They literally are using the no-access crowd to get more stargate for the elite.

* Addendum:
                    By making those first 20 minutes free for all, they have forfeited the excuse that licenses prevent them from granting access to more people than just those six countries. The horse manure is strong on that one. Unless, they will geoblock -- in which case I'm gonna laugh so hard, like you can't believe).

Comment

The free 20 minutes are more likely an invitation for those on the fence (and able to) about purchasing access to All Access. They'll definitely look at any increase in subscription following the debut too. CBS did something similar with Star Trek Discovery, Part 1 of the Pilot was televized.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Remember, the first 20 minutes are free for all, which basically means that they could be used to gather the information they need to determine whether their venture is worth pursuing or not.

I mean, the viewing numbers for the last 80 minutes are set. They have the data on everyone who bought all-access. That data has been collected and hand-delivered to the digital department team (or marketing team or business unit) of MGM. It's what TopFan does -- collect data and help companies monetize their products to the people who are most likely to buy it.

Knowing (and you can quote me on that) that the site registers your IP-address, it would register IP's of those watching those first 20 minutes and those numbers will most likely be much higher than the set-in-stone numbers of the number of all-access acounts.

They literally are using the no-access crowd to get more stargate for the elite.

* Addendum:
                        By making those first 20 minutes free for all, they have forfeited the excuse that licenses prevent them from granting access to more people than just those six countries. The horse manure is strong on that one. Unless, they will geoblock -- in which case I'm gonna laugh so hard, like you can't believe).
                        I am aware of that all yes, but I am sure I am not the only one thinking it is not worth to watch the bait if there is no chance to watch the rest. And those people will be lost in their statistics

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                        The free 20 minutes are more likely an invitation for those on the fence (and able to) about purchasing access to All Access. They'll definitely look at any increase in subscription following the debut too. CBS did something similar with Star Trek Discovery, Part 1 of the Pilot was televized.
                        I agree on that

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                          Which brings the icing on the cake (with a cherry on top): they literally geoblock everyone except the 6 countries, just for the reason you put out here, to pull people off the fence and into all-access.

There will be a decrease, rather than an increase, I predict.

CBS did air the pilot and there was a free trial time for all-access. However, Star Trek Discovery is available worldwide on Netflix, literally a day after it aired on All-Access. Origins is only available on Stargate Command and nowhere else. I can do the math, can you.

Comment

I haven't seen the Stagate : Origins yet, but I have checked some FB groups and forums, because I was interested the overall rections. What I have noticed that people still love the Stargate franchise. MGM should definately realize that this franchise still has got a fan base all over the world who can't wait for new SG shows. So I do hope they will invest into SG again.
                            Last edited by Platschu; 18 February 2018, 05:51 AM.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I haven't seen the Stagate : Origins yet, but I have checked some FB groups and forums, ebcause I was interested the overall rections. What I have noticed that people still love the Stargate franchise. MGM should definately realize that this franchise still has got a fan base all over the world who can't wait for new SG shows. So I do hope they will invest into SG again.
                              The problem with that is, they have used a.......... "service" like topfans to base their data upon, and scifi and fantasy fans are not dumb. They simply won't be corralled into paying for something that they don't like and will be annoyed if not given the option to judge for themselves. You want data to see if there is interest? look at convention statistics. I don't mean #attendee's. I mean who goes to see who out of the stars attending.
                              MGM is taking a business approach to this, and this is one area where the business approach will probably blow up in their faces.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I haven't seen the Stagate : Origins yet, but I have checked some FB groups and forums, ebcause I was interested the overall rections.
                                The overall reactions I have seen, on FB and twitter, you either love it, or hate it but there doesn't seem to be a middle ground to it. And I have seen more negative responses than I have seen positive ones -- and I'm not actively looking for reviews or feedback, these are just the ones I happen to scroll across because I can't simply block everyone who happens to mention stargate in their posts maybe once every so often.

Comment

Working...
                                X