Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...te-convention/

According to the GW, the announcement could happen on Saturday. Maybe we should make an announcement bingo:

- nothing
    - nothing, but "we are working on it"
    - nothing, but "we tried to work on it"
    - nothing, but the **** SyFy sabotaged it
    - Jaffa stories by CJ
    - new Origins season or seasons
    - new mini-series from BW
    - new spin-off from BW
    - new SG movies with the combined cast of SG-1/Atlantis/Universe from BW

etc.

Then probably we will hear more about the furute of SG:C as they are planning to extend the service. If we are lucky it will be available in 7 countries instead of 6.

Then they will talk about the cooperation with the Tongal

Maybe we will hear about the Stargate merchandise shop. It would be nice to have some good quality mugs, fridge magnets etc., but most of the fans have already done such things "unofficially" by themselves.
    I need a mug that says "Best System Lord Ever", or "Oh Fer Cryin' Out Loud, Get Me Some Coffee". Or a beer glass that says "False God. Drunken False God".

Comment

There are some fan made stuff here and there. Just it would be nice to buy some detailed fridge magnets : chevrons, complete gates, Jaffa symbols, Jaffa head armors, Replicators, X301 or tel'tacs etc. Nowadays they can make such detailed souvenirs of every important tourist attraction of every city in China, that I am doubt it would be hard to sell the license to make them some SG themed one...
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
        I need a mug that says "Best System Lord Ever", or "Oh Fer Cryin' Out Loud, Get Me Some Coffee". Or a beer glass that says "False God. Drunken False God".
        #jaffalivesmatter

I also want a special edition of a Hammond's figurine that yells Yeehaw.

A Jaffa joke boardgame?
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I'm putting my money on...

- nothing, but "we are working on it"
          ...and then I'll take my leave for sure.

Then probably we will hear more about the furute of SG:C as they are planning to extend the service. If we are lucky it will be available in 7 countries instead of 6.

Who will be the lucky country?

France?

They did watch Stargate Origins illegally in great numbers, but so did Russia so it could go either way.

Then they will talk about the cooperation with the Tongal
          Actually, the only thing I'm curious about. I really would like to know what they're up to with that one.

Maybe we will hear about the Stargate merchandise shop. It would be nice to have some good quality mugs, fridge magnets etc., but most of the fans have already done such things "unofficially" by themselves.
          You're gonna regret that because you can bet that shipping will be murder and make it impossible to order anything from across the pond.

Kinda like Thinkgeek.com which are brilliant and have awesome amount of merch, but their shippingcosts are murder and therefor you'd have to order a great amount of stuff in order to make it worthwhile.

Or, even better, they don't ship outside the US...

There are some fan made stuff here and there. Just it would be nice to buy some detailed fridge magnets : chevrons, complete gates, Jaffa symbols, Jaffa head armors, Replicators, X301 or tel'tacs etc. Nowadays they can make such detailed souvenirs of every important tourist attraction of every city in China, that I am doubt it would be hard to sell the license to make them some SG themed one...
          Which is far cheaper because made by fans (or in China) and good quality too. Just 3D print them.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Dammit Platschu -- now I'm laughing every time I'm gonna be thinking about that bingo...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Dammit Platschu -- now I'm laughing every time I'm gonna be thinking about that bingo...

Thanks. This "candelism" was also good on page -6- as I have re-readed them:

Star Trek : Candle lighting is futile.
              Star Wars : Join to the Dark Side!
              Matrix : There is no candle.
              Babylon 5 : We lit for the one, we dark for the one.
              FarScape : Frell your fire.
              Game of Thrones : If you immediately know the candlelight is wildfire, then you win or you die.
              BattleStarGalactica : The candle has a plan.
              West World : This candle doesn't look like anything to me.
              If I have seen it well the BW / SG:C panel will start around 13:00, so it is +10-11 hours in Europe.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

If I have seen it well the BW / SG:C panel will start around 13:00, so it is +10-11 hours in Europe.
                Around midnight... I'll be watching Star Trek around that time.

Comment

Live stream : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Eg82fv8Cg

No BW series. Nothing again. And they even joked about "we are working on it"....

Comment

I have watched an hour now. I have missed the BW panel.

The SG:C was nothing interesting or really exciting:
                    - "we are working on it" for new regions
                    - they will upload other languages later (also repeated "they are working on it")
                    - tematic episode playlist for story arcs
                    - Darren's journey video about Egypt
                    - new Dialing home type of series of shooting locations in Vancouver (including Jack's cabin etc.)
                    - they will upload the improved version of the episodes (especially season 7-8)

But honestly they were talking about nothing important. I wanted new live-action materials, not "just" extras for SG:C.

So the winner of the announcement bingo is :
                    nothing, but "we are working on it"

I don't know what to say. I should have listened to FH, but I wanted to believe in them. And they fooled us. Again.
                    Last edited by Platschu; 15 September 2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

So the winner of the announcement bingo is :
                      nothing, but "we are working on it"
                      I WON THE BINGO!!!

I don't know what to say. I should have listened to FH, but I wanted to believe in them. And they fooled us. Again.
                      If it makes you feel any better, it's never my intention to be on the right path on this sort of thing. I guess, having first-hand experience with Stargate Command team and what kind of replies they always give, and especially MGM being deadly silent, while other entertainment companies acknowledge fans doing something epic on social media (see Timeless, or Brooklyn Nine-Nine), and being ignored as a fan in general gives you that more than realistic view on things that can really be annoying to others.

They literally said nothing that wasn't already known. You can put your clock to it that they will still be saying the same thing 6 months from now, or a year from now. Keep that hook dangling around long enough, but at some point there will be no longer any fish interested in the empty hook.

Comment

Technically, no-one said they were going to make an announcement. They acknowledged that the rumours began to spread and were pretty straightforward with that. When I saw the rumours I did state it's possible, but not probable.

I did like the panel, if only to see and hear them (I haven't seen anything else, such as the free Dialing Home videos, so it's been a long time since I saw any convention panel of interview). Of course, I didn't expect anything so it could not get worse.

Their excitement did reduce my worries somewhat, because I don't think these people are out to troll us. They seem to genuinely want to move on. It's just the collective issues that makes it difficult to get everything straight and just spending several years behind the scenes without revealing anything to make sure everything is available worldwide immediately just isn't doable. Could they have done better with Stargate Command and their communication? Yes, definitely. Is Stargate Origins a mistake, or at least, could it have been done better? Yes, definitely.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Stargate needs a solid Community Management team and a Story Group to ensure solid communication between the Powers That Be and the Fans. I think the fact that MGM isn't directly involved with Stargate Command is part of the problem. These people can only tell us what they know and since they don't appear to actually be part of MGM and the higher ups, they probably won't immediately know everything that's going on with the actual Powers That Be.

Comment

I have felt the same. They were talking and talking about nothing important. You know they teased us for months and months this year... Twitter storm, then in May then in July then in September. Nothing is announced. Seriously. Or if they will do it tomorrow, then why have they not done it today? Who shall we trust then if even GW started to mislead fans? Again...

They have talked about the SG:C future, but actually they haven't really revealed too much details. If I would hold a panel, then I would make some presentation what we achieved and what are future goals. Like a powerpoint presentation with graphicons and false promises or something.

They haven't said anything why a new viewer or an already paying viewer should come to SG:C. Okay, the new extras could be intereting, but if there is no new live-action content like a tv movie, Origins story or any anything, then what do they really want?

The series about the shooting locations could be interesting, I have to admit, but 10-20 years have passed. Maybe some fans would like to visit the forest or the lakes near Vancouver to visit the shooting locations (provide GPS coordinates), but they should also look to the future. I am sorry to say, but they can't base the success of the application only on past projects. We need at least a new Origins story for 2019.

They also talked about merging the different parts of the merchandise : books, comics, but then what? Will they step-up on the "canon ladder"? Then were are the RPG books? Stargate : Infinity? The SG-1 mobile game?

Somebody asked about the foreign languages and subtitles and the answer was the usual "WAWOI" (we are working on it).... The excuse was that different distributors and versions blablabla exists. But come on... They have published the DVDs long time ago. It can't be a challenge to upload the existing subtitles at least. Just imagine that you are providing the SG:C for the lucky German audience, then no German audio, no German subtitle, no German message board.... It is really amateurish, sorry. I have watched the first 5 seasons on the RTL II, so I was thinking maybe I could refresh my German with some SG-1 episodes. I was wrong that such things could happen in the digital era of the XXI. century.

Okay, I am going to sleep and to calm down, as you can read I am really-really disappointed.

Comment

Both the RPG books and Infinity are out of their hands. While of course the Stargate license is owned by MGM, the RPG and Infinity themselves are not. That's partly the problem with All Access and the "contractual relationships" they have been talking about concerning the series.

Concerning the DVDs, I agree. It shouldn't be hard to get the proper retail releases of the series. However, there is one exception: all episodes since SG-1 season 8 were shot and broadcast in HD, but SG-1 and SGU S2 were never released in HD. If they only publish the retail versions of the episodes, then only Atlantis and Universe season 1 would be in HD. Perhaps that should be motivation enough for MGM to remaster and update every episode to HD.

Comment

Technically, no-one said they were going to make an announcement. They acknowledged that the rumours began to spread and were pretty straightforward with that. When I saw the rumours I did state it's possible, but not probable.
                              Nevertheless, they also did not "not" say they were having something to announce.

They are better off saying it how it is, then pretend and get the door smashed into their faces afterwards. Cause that's basically what's happening right now. Fans are (going to be) disappointed with the anticlimax they were hoping would be an exciting new something.

Instead they got more (empty) promises and a whole bunch of blah blah blah they probably already knew.

Their excitement did reduce my worries somewhat, because I don't think these people are out to troll us.
                              And yet, they continue to act quite the opposite when asked a proper, polite question.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Stargate needs a solid Community Management team and a Story Group to ensure solid communication between the Powers That Be and the Fans. I think the fact that MGM isn't directly involved with Stargate Command is part of the problem. These people can only tell us what they know and since they don't appear to actually be part of MGM and the higher ups, they probably won't immediately know everything that's going on with the actual Powers That Be.
                              In my opinion, that's problematic.

Actually, it pretty much shows MGM is not all that interested in it, just the extra cashflow.
                              "They're fans. Just slap a stargate sticker on it and they'll bite." -- you know.

I have felt the same. They were talking and talking about nothing important. You know they teased us for months and months this year... Twitter storm, then in May then in July then in September. Nothing is announced. Seriously. Or if they will do it tomorrow, then why have they not done it today? Who shall we trust then if even GW started to mislead fans? Again...
                              Not mislead -- dangling that hook, and stringing people along, and it clearly still works.

They have talked about the SG:C future, but actually they haven't really revealed too much details.
                              They were basically whinging it.

They haven't said anything why a new viewer or an already paying viewer should come to SG:C. Okay, the new extras could be intereting, but if there is no new live-action content like a tv movie, Origins story or any anything, then what do they really want?
                              Just your money. Everything else isn't important.

I mean, they frellin' put the blooper real of Stargate Origins up as an all-access video. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT? A F'ing blooper real?!!?

That's pretty telling, if you ask me.

Somebody asked about the foreign languages and subtitles and the answer was the usual "WAWOI" (we are working on it).... The excuse was that different distributors and versions blablabla exists.
                              MGM isn't the distributor of the DVD's actually. That would be FOX Home Entertainment.

Comment

Why didn't someone create a GateCon 2018 thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X