No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I support StargateNow, I think a fresh team should be behind whatever potential MGM thinks could be out there. If that means breaking all canon to hell, so be it.

Stargate will never be what Star Trek or Star Wars are -- at least not with current management.

And no, I still don't condone blackmailing the fanbase (or approx. half of it) with if Origins is succesful (to them), you'll get more. We don't know what they see as succesful, nor how they would continue to distribute it, or on what budget they'd make the next one.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

And wow... that #StargateNow movement is really gaining momentum... Mallozzi probably has something to do with that. (Still not a fan of his, but he's on the path of redemption)

Comment

And followed and retweeting. Glad to see it's off to a good start!
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          And wow... that #StargateNow movement is really gaining momentum... Mallozzi probably has something to do with that. (Still not a fan of his, but he's on the path of redemption)
          Well, Joe has some time on his hands as DM got the can.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Well, Joe has some time on his hands as DM got the can.
            Indeed he does -- and I think most of the people behind StargateNow are Dark Matter fans too.

Comment

While I support StargateNow, I think a fresh team should be behind whatever potential MGM thinks could be out there. If that means breaking all canon to hell, so be it.

Stargate will never be what Star Trek or Star Wars are -- at least not with current management.

And no, I still don't condone blackmailing the fanbase (or approx. half of it) with if Origins is succesful (to them), you'll get more. We don't know what they see as succesful, nor how they would continue to distribute it, or on what budget they'd make the next one.
              I know that you are still hurt. I also don't like that only 6 counties count and the rest of the world not yet, but we have to give them time to reconsider their marketing strategies. I am also not overly happy with production quality of Stargate : Origins (gate effects, jokes), because it could have been done more seriously. Honestly I am such a maximalist that it already needs a "remake".

But I am absolutely mega-excited that Stargate returned from the sarcophagus with the Stargate : Origins. Origins season2 or new SG tv movies or new SG mini-series or even new SG spin-off. We have not even dreamt about such things in the last 6-8 years. Now the MGM must produce more SG material for their website, so I am guessing they will greenlight a few smaller SG stories. If they could have the casting and the shooting of Origins within 3-4 months, then we could easily get the next SG project at summer. And if everything goes well and the Stargate : Command gets stronger (or Netflix will invest and distribute to the rest of the world) then I really hope that Brad Wright and Cooper will return with new writers and we get a new full time SG spinoff in 2019.

So what I wanted to say MGM needs the fans, while the fans need MGM. We have to support the Stargate : Origins to get more SG related tv movies / shows in the near future.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                I know that you are still hurt.
                Not hurt -- very disappointed in management.

Now the MGM must produce more SG material for their website, so I am guessing they will greenlight a few smaller SG stories.
                COnsidering they had nothing in Summer when they first announced Stargate Origins -- probably only a vague synopsis -- but definitely no cast or crew. Casting didn't occur until late august, early september -- and when did filming begin, early october? Can't remember. In any case, there's no way with that kind of a timetable they would be able to give you something new by summer time.

And if everything goes well and the Stargate : Command gets stronger (or Netflix will invest and distribute to the rest of the world)...
                You're missing the working of Netflix. They can't invest in something they don't own. Stargate Command is part of MGM and they set the license fee for Netflix. If they set it too high, Netflix won't invest in it because that would require a lot of streamers to compensate the price. Netflix, literally started dropping all SG in recent months because it just wasn't interesting enough to keep paying for the fees. And if MGM knows people will want more, they'll set the fee even higher. Why would Netflix bother with it then, when they can spend that money on stuff of their own -- like Stranger Things which is hugely popular.

So what I wanted to say MGM needs the fans, while the fans need MGM. We have to support the Stargate : Origins to get more SG related tv movies / shows in the near future.
                We have no obligation to support anything of the sorts. You don't have to force yourself to sit through 20 minutes, or 100 minutes of something you don't like, just so you hope to get more -- what's to say it won't be more of the same. Then you had something streaming that you didn't like, and all you got was more of the same. If MGM notices that low-budget is enough to keep the fanbase happy, do you really think they would invest more budget in something that could utterly fail?

I think not... especially since the high budget thing would have to rely on more viewers, while the low-budget thing can survive of fans alone to keep them coming.

This is purely looking at it from a business point of view.

MGM doesn't need the fans. If that were true, they wouldn't block anyone.
                The fans, however, do need MGM because they hold Stargate hostage right now.

Comment

We don't know what the future holds. I believe this cooperation is both sided. If they can hear that fans were not so pleased with SG:O quality or format, maybe they will invest more in the next one. But they also know if they don't produce entertaining or good materials then people will go away and they won't pay. So that is the reason I said that fans can be in charge in this situation. I still hope that they will extend the Stargate : Command website to other countries or they will make a deal with any other provider. The reason I said Netflix, because they produce new seasons for 6 billion (6 000 million!!!) dollar / year. Most of the new seasons cost them 70-100 million dollars. Even the CBS-Netflix produced StarTrek : Discovery is around 8-9 million dollars / episode, so the 15 episodes must have reached 100 million dollar! Try to imagine what we could achive from such a budget. If every episode could have more money than Ark of Truth or Continuum (they cost 7 and 10 million dollars). So that is the reason I try to see the bigger picture. I don't expect a complete 20 episodes spinoff season immediately, but it would be nice to see a few smaller than a bigger budget mini series at first. Like 2-4-6 x 42 minutes what could be still split up into 4-8-12 x 20-25 minutes episodes. The main reason they can not produce "just" tv movies as they have to extend it for weeks to maintain the hype. So if they would have revealed it that Origins is just a 90-100 minutes long SG tv movie then they would have a large audience for one week, but after that it would be quiet again.

So what I would like to see in the future :

- a new mini-series premier in July and December in 2018
                  - a new spin off premier in 2019
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Quality, high budget shows, like Game Of Thrones etc really are the only way to go.

Discovery did that. SG should too.

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post
                      Quality, high budget shows, like Game Of Thrones etc really are the only way to go.
                      HBO has a huge budget for 13 episodes of Game of Thrones. Or had, since it's finished.
                      And it was filmed in Belfast (I drove passed the studios and glimpsed the back end of one of the standing sets) and surrounding areas (visited a few locations). Filmed in Morocco (I believe), Dubrovnik (Croatia), ... and other places in or just outside of Europe. It's basically a European show.

The costs in the US would have skyrocketed Game of Thrones out of existence. Rome, if you remember, also by HBO was too expensive to continue filming. It was entirely filmed on a standing set in Rome (Italy) for the most part.

HBO knows GoT is being pirated to kingdome come and they simply don't care -- they even use that to show how popular it is. They work with that and make sure everyone has access at pretty much the same time the episodes air in the US. We can watch GoT at the exact same time (3am in the morning) but most record and watch later.

(and I'm the proud owner of all the DVD's -- a set I don't lend out to anyone, same as my LOTR set)

If they can hear that fans were not so pleased with SG:O quality or format, maybe they will invest more in the next one.
                      No, not how it works -- no matter how much you like to believe that.

See it this way, SGO is an investment for MGM.

Think of it as an apartment building. They build it, named it and invested money in it. Then they start renting the flats out to people but the people find flaws in every corner and instead of staying many weeks or months or years, paying their rent on time -- they leave, and the flats remain empty, and no rent comes in. And the apartment building is just sitting there. A big pile of concrete, doing nothing, making no money. MGM decides that the building might not have been such a good idea after all, and abandons the idea of building more. If they don't get return on investments, they will not continue building more, they will be building less or even quit altogether.

This is where the "If Origins is succesful, there might be more Stargate" comes in. MGM is literally holding the gate hostage and blackmailing the fans.

But they also know if they don't produce entertaining or good materials then people will go away and they won't pay. So that is the reason I said that fans can be in charge in this situation.
                      But it's not how the entertainment business works.

I still hope that they will extend the Stargate : Command website to other countries or they will make a deal with any other provider.
                      They will not do so -- if they were, they would have done it already.

The reason I said Netflix, because they produce new seasons for 6 billion (6 000 million!!!) dollar / year. Most of the new seasons cost them 70-100 million dollars. Even the CBS-Netflix produced StarTrek : Discovery is around 8-9 million dollars / episode, so the 15 episodes must have reached 100 million dollar! Try to imagine what we could achive from such a budget.
                      That's what Netflix does -- they are a NASDAQ company. Their primary thing is invest in content and subscribers. Everything else comes second. Original content which gives them a good return of investments.

More on Netflix' economy if you like to dig in: Here Are the Numbers Netflix Inc. Wants You to Focus On

I also found their Return of Investments online. They are pretty fascinating numbers, if you're into that sort of thing.

So if they would have revealed it that Origins is just a 90-100 minutes long SG tv movie then they would have a large audience for one week, but after that it would be quiet again.
                      Err... they did actually reveal that pretty early on.

And there has been no buzz for it either -- no marketing outside of the "fandom". This isn't aimed at a new audience -- not as of yet anyway. A miniseries would have to survive on other viewers, and look at what happened when SGU dwindled in viewing numbers -- or any show that dwindles in viewing numbers -- they get cancelled.

- a new mini-series premier in July and December in 2018
                      July is way too optimistic. December might work if they start now.

...a new spin off premier in 2019
                      Star Trek Discovery was supposed to air at the start of 2017 -- just to give you some perspective on why that's simply not realistic.

Comment

Think of it as an apartment building. They build it, named it and invested money in it. Then they start renting the flats out to people but the people find flaws in every corner and instead of staying many weeks or months or years, paying their rent on time -- they leave, and the flats remain empty, and no rent comes in. And the apartment building is just sitting there. A big pile of concrete, doing nothing, making no money. MGM decides that the building might not have been such a good idea after all, and abandons the idea of building more. If they don't get return on investments, they will not continue building more, they will be building less or even quit altogether.
                        We actually had such a building in my hometown, though it was intended as a hotel. It was built in the 80s I think, it was big and pink. Nobody used it so it stood there for thirty years until it was demolished in 2011. Only in later years was it used often as an office building. So I know exactly what you mean

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                          ...it was big and pink...
                          I think I know why it was empty all that time...

Comment

The pink elephant in the room?
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post

Discovery did that. SG should too.
                              I turned on the TV and saw nothing but cheap shows. Cheap medical dramas, cheap reality shows, cheap cop shows, cheap games shows. GOT is the exception, not the rule.

Besides, they tried high-budget with SGU and it didn't meet the standards, so it's unlikely MGM will try it anytime soon. Even though SGU didn't do badly given long-term rating trends, outdated rating measurements and actual ratings.

Comment

I definately don't want a reboot, because I would like to see a few new mini-series and a new spin-off.

I have got a few ideas already how I would imagine a new Milky Way based SG series.

Or if it is in an other galaxy then it would be nice to see a new gatework again. This is almost a tradition for every new SG show.
                                Last edited by Platschu; 22 February 2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X