Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addendum...

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    MGM should definately realize that this franchise still has got a fan base all over the world...
    MGM doesn't care about the fanbase "all over the world" -- if they did we wouldn't be blocked from the opportunity to watch more than the 20 minutes of free episodes (which I chose not to watch cause I'll be damned if I'm gonna be used that way).

MGM doesn't care about the fanbase, full stop. If they did, they wouldn't have picked TopFan for the website/app template. They would have put in a serious effort to make this the best "fan-experience" possible -- for all the fans.

Cause those who still think it's a license issue that keeps worldwide people from all-access, they drop full episodes and at the moment the entire Stargate film on youtube for everyone to watch. License issues, my ass. These first 20 minutes of Stargate Origins -- license issues, my ass. Not even CBS did that with Star Trek Discovery.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The overall reactions I have seen, on FB and twitter, you either love it, or hate it but there doesn't seem to be a middle ground to it. And I have seen more negative responses than I have seen positive ones -- and I'm not actively looking for reviews or feedback, these are just the ones I happen to scroll across because I can't simply block everyone who happens to mention stargate in their posts maybe once every so often.
      Cannot say I am surprised, I do hope though that maybe they still keep it going but will try other ways, in broadcasting and making it, to figure out which works best

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
        Cannot say I am surprised, I do hope though that maybe they still keep it going but will try other ways, in broadcasting and making it, to figure out which works best
        If they keep blocking people, it will be a short-lived experience.

And I don't think they have any intention to open all-access at this point, or any point, to the rest of world, since I saw a mention about the free episodes being available all the way to the end of all-access in May. Why the hell would you say that if you were "working on getting more people access". You wouldn't...

Comment

I am still naive, just I hope some represantive of the MGM still reads this forum too.

What I meant to say about the Stargate that people talk about it very-very positively. Most of those fans who watched the SG-1 then later the Atlantis / Universe became parents, who would like to watch new SG shows with their children now. Stargate is one of the tv shows which became extremely popular in most of the countries, probably because of the spreading of the internet (the good old NetScape times), so fans could reach other fans easier. Adn let's face it, it was really good. Adventure, humor, drama, discovery, alien worlds, alien races, believable Earth based scenarios. Nowadays new seasons are coming ang going, but it is very rare that a 20 years old tv show still has got loyal fanbase. So I hope MGM will see this type of love and care from the fans and instead of throwing back the franchise into a sarcophagus and bury it they would rather dig out and let it shine again.

It makes me sad even to think about how many DVD movies or new spin-offs we could have since they cancelled the Universe. You know they promised 2 DVD movies per year, so we could have got at least 1-2 dozens.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I am still naive, just I hope some represantive of the MGM still reads this forum too.
            If they were, they would have known that fans are everywhere and not just in 6 countries only.

So I hope MGM will see this type of love and care from the fans and instead of throwing back the franchise into a sarcophagus and bury it they would rather dig out and let it shine again.
            If they truly wanted to let it shine, Stargate Origins would have been akin to Star Trek Discovery. 14 episodes of 42 minutes of Stargate -- easily done in the same format, on their own digital channel if they wanted that, or a deal with Netflix, and available worldwide. That's the way you treat a franchise you claim you hold dear.

Their, by now, infamous claim they created Stargate Origins "for the fans" has fallen to pieces the moment they blocked half those fans from their content. You simply don't make friends with that.

And when someone on the messagefeed wrote that we're one big Stargate family and we leave no one behind or be divided, I nearly choked on my water. We're not a stargate family cause fans are being left behind, and the rest of the family is only concerned about maybe not getting more Stargate because not all fans are watching or showing their 'love'.

Comment

If they truly wanted to let it shine, Stargate Origins would have been akin to Star Trek Discovery. 14 episodes of 42 minutes of Stargate -- easily done in the same format, on their own digital channel if they wanted that, or a deal with Netflix, and available worldwide. That's the way you treat a franchise you claim you hold dear.
              Yep. That is what I want and how I could imagine the future of the SG. They could even move the production to Europe (maybe to Hungary), because I am sure it would be cheaper here. Lots of tv shows and Hollywood blockbusters are made near Budapest.

Trust me, I completly understand your frustration and sadness about the 6 countries. We are in the XXI. century, so don't tell me they couldn't sort out a website / application for the rest of the world. Simply they were not interested to invest into it, so I don't know what they have really expected with this horribls business strategy. They slap the fans with one hand, while the other one wants to offer food.

I believe it would have been more fair if they could release Origins as a "tv movie", because so many people were misleaded with the "new series" term. They could have seen the sells of the DVDs / BlueRays. If it is ever going to be released then I will probably buy it for my SG collection, but I am also not willing to pay 20 dollars for soemthing where officially the Hungarian fans along with many nations are discriminated and hurt.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Yep. That is what I want and how I could imagine the future of the SG. They could even move the production to Europe (maybe to Hungary), because I am sure it would be cheaper here. Lots of tv shows and Hollywood blockbusters are made near Budapest.
                While it would be cheaper, I think they would still opt for Canada instead which is closer to home for the actors involved which would almost certainly be half American and half Canadian (as is the law of the land when you film in Canada -- your crew has to employ a percentage of Canadians).

And you have no idea how many comments I've seen of people who are confused to find out it's not a new "series" but a webseries of 10' episodes (approx. cause from what I heard the first 20 minutes are split up into 10, 12 and 8 minutes) and that they don't actually have access to the rest of it (which Stargate Command conveniently never mentions unless it's pointed out to them).

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...s-origins-sgu/

He sounds like he would return if MGM asks him to develop a new SG show. I wish it would be true.

edit.

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...pen-franchise/

Wow. I wish it would be true. We need a new full length spinoff! Yay. Just call back Brad Wright / Mallozzi and Cooper and let the Netflix invest some money too.
                  Last edited by Platschu; 19 February 2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

By making those first 20 minutes free for all, they have forfeited the excuse that licenses prevent them from granting access to more people than just those six countries. The horse manure is strong on that one. Unless, they will geoblock -- in which case I'm gonna laugh so hard, like you can't believe).
                    The issue isn't the licensing of Origins but of all the other shows and films. Broadcasters, streaming services, and/or distributors in your country have deals already set with certain terms and conditions we don't know about. Depending on the terms of that contract, MGM may not have the legal right to allow you to watch (say) SG-1 on Stargate Command.

We don't know ... but it likely has nothing to do with Origins.

Your argument could be that they should offer you Origins and all of the site's bonus content without the ability to stream shows that have their rights tied up elsewhere. It would be complicated, and difficult to market where All-Access includes different content depending on where you live. So I'd understand why MGM might not want to go down that path. But you could argue for it.

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post
                      The issue isn't the licensing of Origins but of all the other shows and films. Broadcasters, streaming services, and/or distributors in your country have deals already set with certain terms and conditions we don't know about. Depending on the terms of that contract, MGM may not have the legal right to allow you to watch (say) SG-1 on Stargate Command.
                      There hasn't been a single shred of Stargate since SGU went off the air, and our local brand of SyFy disappeared off the air, so I highly doubt there's a broadcast license issue in my country. And that's been how long now -- 5 years (yup something like that).

Nothing is too difficult if you really want it to be -- just look at Star Trek Discovery. On Netflix, available the day after it aired in the US, in my country. So, don't give me that BS when I know CBS does it without issue.

Addendum: And you know what, if that's the issue all along, they need to come out and bloody well say it. Tell me the frellin' truth that's the reason and stop saying "they're working on it". I absolutely hate such dishonesty more.

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld View Post

We don't know ... but it likely has nothing to do with Origins.

Your argument could be that they should offer you Origins and all of the site's bonus content without the ability to stream shows that have their rights tied up elsewhere. It would be complicated, and difficult to market where All-Access includes different content depending on where you live. So I'd understand why MGM might not want to go down that path. But you could argue for it.
                        At least here in the Netherlands Stargate isn't shown anywhere. The only way to get it is to buy the DVDs. Even if some channel does have broadcast rights, couldn't MGM revoke them? I mean, Disney did that with their material on Netflix in favor of their own streaming service.

And why does Germany have access and not its neighbors? What's the difference?

Comment

Just because something isn't currently being shown doesn't mean there isn't still a deal in place. And MGM isn't CBS. Star Trek isn't Stargate. One's shows deals doesn't equate to another's. It's not like-for-like. It's just not that simple. You are not in possession of the entire truth. I am not. To call absolutes is pointless. I think you're just looking too hard to find some sort of affront to yourself. Also, nice job on telling the admin he's giving you BS!
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Related, from the front page >> Source: Stargate Origins Will Reopen The Franchise
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I still believe in Stargate that it could be bigger than even Star Trek. The gate system is such a cool idea to introduce instant adventures to unknown worlds that I don't understand why MGM is hesitating. Star Trek or Star Wars can't give this feeling that you can step through an ancient gate and you arrive to an alien world on the other side. Nowadays only the creativity (and budget and the invested production time) can hold back writers' hands.

All what we need is a better planning. So they should start a spinoff when they established the characters and what they would like to achive with them. Somehow I felt that they were rushing with Atlantis characters too and then they didn't know what to do with Ford or Teyla in long term. So I really hope we get a new spinoff, but then I would like to see more character development and pure discovery and adventures.

It is also challenging to introduce new alien races to this universe, because you should carefully explain where they have been in the past, why they haven't revealed themselves or if they don't return then why do they shut down their own gate.

If you write a war story then the gate system can also change the battles. Nowadays everybody is flying with armada of ships through the space, but it is not logical if you have a direct gate connection. But I understand that the area of the gate is such a narrow place that you can't establish a frontline there, because it is not a line just a square maybe around the gate. So you can conquer a planet if you hold the gate, while you can land anywhere else on a planet with ships.

Every gate can also dial any other gate so that is the reason that I felt that the traditional "empires" shouldn't exist in the SG universe. Maybe they can controll a few worlds where the gates are near each other, but since they can dial the other side of the galaxy any time, then it is not worth of introducing border arguements.

So if I would start a new MW based spinoff then I would introduce a few gate related discoveries. There should be some local groups or local defense systems (like an alien race upgrade the old MW gates with own technology to be used only by them or to start to plant them in space etc.). Or some "master gates" which has got some unique skills in the whole network. Or a civilization could build smaller stargates on the same planet as a transport system, but they use only the "main gate" to contact other planets. There are so many options... That is the reason I was happy to see Merlin's inner gate system in season 10, because such moves could shake up things. And since they introduced the 9 chevrons in Universe, I doubt that they used it only to dial Destiny. A new spin off could develop more 9 chevron related discoveries.

Not to mention that they called all gates in the replicator war, so who knows how the sleeping / unknown aliens reacted to the wave from the Dakara machine? That would be a nice way to wake up such races who could be allies or enemies to the Jaffa Nation too.

Or if they start a new spinoff in a new galaxy then I would like to see a new gate system again. I always wanted to see an AI character which would live in the DHDs. And that would be funny to have an annoying "tour guide" when the team arrives to a planet. Some of them could be hostile, some of them would be helpful etc.

Anyway I am not the one who writes the new spinoff, but as you can see I have a few ideas how to reform the established gate system.
                              Last edited by Platschu; 20 February 2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Joe Mallozzi also talks about the stargate and a potential future Stargate series :

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...the-next-step/
                                https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...possibilities/
                                https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...l-stargatenow/
                                https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ns-lets-do-it/

Comment

Working...
                                X