Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Cue sarcasm: Well, SGO should be "finished" by then, so plenty of time to watch the episodes. Oh wait, All Access is only available in a small region of planet Earth. Bummer.

SGC: "Yeah, we're working on it".
    Us: "But it's only three months".
    SGC: "We're still working on it".

Three months later:
    Us: "Well, how 'bout now?"
    SGC: "Yeah, uhm... the good news is we've manage to get things sorted, so All-Access is now available world-wide. But... uhm... We no longer have All-Access."
    Us: "Oh, for cryin' out loud!"

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Well, perhaps that's the problem... when it ends May 15, it's open to all. By which I mean, streaming goes away -- all series, and movies -- so perhaps then access is granted to Stargate Origins (far too late but ah well..).
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

I just wonder how they want to measure success in any other case, Falcon, because if they will not release it for all to watch at some point, they have no real impression of how successful it really would be

Quote Originally Posted by Az'ryel View Post
    I just wonder how they want to measure success in any other case, Falcon, because if they will not release it for all to watch at some point, they have no real impression of how successful it really would be
    Remember, the first 20 minutes are free for all, which basically means that they could be used to gather the information they need to determine whether their venture is worth pursuing or not.

I mean, the viewing numbers for the last 80 minutes are set. They have the data on everyone who bought all-access. That data has been collected and hand-delivered to the digital department team (or marketing team or business unit) of MGM. It's what TopFan does -- collect data and help companies monetize their products to the people who are most likely to buy it.

Knowing (and you can quote me on that) that the site registers your IP-address, it would register IP's of those watching those first 20 minutes and those numbers will most likely be much higher than the set-in-stone numbers of the number of all-access acounts.

They literally are using the no-access crowd to get more stargate for the elite.

* Addendum:
    By making those first 20 minutes free for all, they have forfeited the excuse that licenses prevent them from granting access to more people than just those six countries. The horse manure is strong on that one. Unless, they will geoblock -- in which case I'm gonna laugh so hard, like you can't believe).
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

The free 20 minutes are more likely an invitation for those on the fence (and able to) about purchasing access to All Access. They'll definitely look at any increase in subscription following the debut too. CBS did something similar with Star Trek Discovery, Part 1 of the Pilot was televized.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Remember, the first 20 minutes are free for all, which basically means that they could be used to gather the information they need to determine whether their venture is worth pursuing or not.

I mean, the viewing numbers for the last 80 minutes are set. They have the data on everyone who bought all-access. That data has been collected and hand-delivered to the digital department team (or marketing team or business unit) of MGM. It's what TopFan does -- collect data and help companies monetize their products to the people who are most likely to buy it.

Knowing (and you can quote me on that) that the site registers your IP-address, it would register IP's of those watching those first 20 minutes and those numbers will most likely be much higher than the set-in-stone numbers of the number of all-access acounts.

They literally are using the no-access crowd to get more stargate for the elite.

* Addendum:
    By making those first 20 minutes free for all, they have forfeited the excuse that licenses prevent them from granting access to more people than just those six countries. The horse manure is strong on that one. Unless, they will geoblock -- in which case I'm gonna laugh so hard, like you can't believe).
    I am aware of that all yes, but I am sure I am not the only one thinking it is not worth to watch the bait if there is no chance to watch the rest. And those people will be lost in their statistics

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    The free 20 minutes are more likely an invitation for those on the fence (and able to) about purchasing access to All Access. They'll definitely look at any increase in subscription following the debut too. CBS did something similar with Star Trek Discovery, Part 1 of the Pilot was televized.
    I agree on that

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Which brings the icing on the cake (with a cherry on top): they literally geoblock everyone except the 6 countries, just for the reason you put out here, to pull people off the fence and into all-access.

There will be a decrease, rather than an increase, I predict.

CBS did air the pilot and there was a free trial time for all-access. However, Star Trek Discovery is available worldwide on Netflix, literally a day after it aired on All-Access. Origins is only available on Stargate Command and nowhere else. I can do the math, can you.

I haven't seen the Stagate : Origins yet, but I have checked some FB groups and forums, because I was interested the overall rections. What I have noticed that people still love the Stargate franchise. MGM should definately realize that this franchise still has got a fan base all over the world who can't wait for new SG shows. So I do hope they will invest into SG again.
    Last edited by Platschu; Yesterday at 06:51 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    I haven't seen the Stagate : Origins yet, but I have checked some FB groups and forums, ebcause I was interested the overall rections. What I have noticed that people still love the Stargate franchise. MGM should definately realize that this franchise still has got a fan base all over the world who can't wait for new SG shows. So I do hope they will invest into SG again.
    The problem with that is, they have used a.......... "service" like topfans to base their data upon, and scifi and fantasy fans are not dumb. They simply won't be corralled into paying for something that they don't like and will be annoyed if not given the option to judge for themselves. You want data to see if there is interest? look at convention statistics. I don't mean #attendee's. I mean who goes to see who out of the stars attending.
    MGM is taking a business approach to this, and this is one area where the business approach will probably blow up in their faces.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet

I haven't seen the Stagate : Origins yet, but I have checked some FB groups and forums, ebcause I was interested the overall rections.
    The overall reactions I have seen, on FB and twitter, you either love it, or hate it but there doesn't seem to be a middle ground to it. And I have seen more negative responses than I have seen positive ones -- and I'm not actively looking for reviews or feedback, these are just the ones I happen to scroll across because I can't simply block everyone who happens to mention stargate in their posts maybe once every so often.

Addendum...

MGM should definately realize that this franchise still has got a fan base all over the world...
    MGM doesn't care about the fanbase "all over the world" -- if they did we wouldn't be blocked from the opportunity to watch more than the 20 minutes of free episodes (which I chose not to watch cause I'll be damned if I'm gonna be used that way).

MGM doesn't care about the fanbase, full stop. If they did, they wouldn't have picked TopFan for the website/app template. They would have put in a serious effort to make this the best "fan-experience" possible -- for all the fans.

Cause those who still think it's a license issue that keeps worldwide people from all-access, they drop full episodes and at the moment the entire Stargate film on youtube for everyone to watch. License issues, my ass. These first 20 minutes of Stargate Origins -- license issues, my ass. Not even CBS did that with Star Trek Discovery.

The overall reactions I have seen, on FB and twitter, you either love it, or hate it but there doesn't seem to be a middle ground to it. And I have seen more negative responses than I have seen positive ones -- and I'm not actively looking for reviews or feedback, these are just the ones I happen to scroll across because I can't simply block everyone who happens to mention stargate in their posts maybe once every so often.
    Cannot say I am surprised, I do hope though that maybe they still keep it going but will try other ways, in broadcasting and making it, to figure out which works best

Quote Originally Posted by Az'ryel View Post
    Cannot say I am surprised, I do hope though that maybe they still keep it going but will try other ways, in broadcasting and making it, to figure out which works best
    If they keep blocking people, it will be a short-lived experience.

And I don't think they have any intention to open all-access at this point, or any point, to the rest of world, since I saw a mention about the free episodes being available all the way to the end of all-access in May. Why the hell would you say that if you were "working on getting more people access". You wouldn't...

I am still naive, just I hope some represantive of the MGM still reads this forum too.

What I meant to say about the Stargate that people talk about it very-very positively. Most of those fans who watched the SG-1 then later the Atlantis / Universe became parents, who would like to watch new SG shows with their children now. Stargate is one of the tv shows which became extremely popular in most of the countries, probably because of the spreading of the internet (the good old NetScape times), so fans could reach other fans easier. Adn let's face it, it was really good. Adventure, humor, drama, discovery, alien worlds, alien races, believable Earth based scenarios. Nowadays new seasons are coming ang going, but it is very rare that a 20 years old tv show still has got loyal fanbase. So I hope MGM will see this type of love and care from the fans and instead of throwing back the franchise into a sarcophagus and bury it they would rather dig out and let it shine again.

It makes me sad even to think about how many DVD movies or new spin-offs we could have since they cancelled the Universe. You know they promised 2 DVD movies per year, so we could have got at least 1-2 dozens.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I am still naive, just I hope some represantive of the MGM still reads this forum too.
    If they were, they would have known that fans are everywhere and not just in 6 countries only.

So I hope MGM will see this type of love and care from the fans and instead of throwing back the franchise into a sarcophagus and bury it they would rather dig out and let it shine again.
    If they truly wanted to let it shine, Stargate Origins would have been akin to Star Trek Discovery. 14 episodes of 42 minutes of Stargate -- easily done in the same format, on their own digital channel if they wanted that, or a deal with Netflix, and available worldwide. That's the way you treat a franchise you claim you hold dear.

Their, by now, infamous claim they created Stargate Origins "for the fans" has fallen to pieces the moment they blocked half those fans from their content. You simply don't make friends with that.

And when someone on the messagefeed wrote that we're one big Stargate family and we leave no one behind or be divided, I nearly choked on my water. We're not a stargate family cause fans are being left behind, and the rest of the family is only concerned about maybe not getting more Stargate because not all fans are watching or showing their 'love'.

If they truly wanted to let it shine, Stargate Origins would have been akin to Star Trek Discovery. 14 episodes of 42 minutes of Stargate -- easily done in the same format, on their own digital channel if they wanted that, or a deal with Netflix, and available worldwide. That's the way you treat a franchise you claim you hold dear.
    Yep. That is what I want and how I could imagine the future of the SG. They could even move the production to Europe (maybe to Hungary), because I am sure it would be cheaper here. Lots of tv shows and Hollywood blockbusters are made near Budapest.

Trust me, I completly understand your frustration and sadness about the 6 countries. We are in the XXI. century, so don't tell me they couldn't sort out a website / application for the rest of the world. Simply they were not interested to invest into it, so I don't know what they have really expected with this horribls business strategy. They slap the fans with one hand, while the other one wants to offer food.

I believe it would have been more fair if they could release Origins as a "tv movie", because so many people were misleaded with the "new series" term. They could have seen the sells of the DVDs / BlueRays. If it is ever going to be released then I will probably buy it for my SG collection, but I am also not willing to pay 20 dollars for soemthing where officially the Hungarian fans along with many nations are discriminated and hurt.

Yep. That is what I want and how I could imagine the future of the SG. They could even move the production to Europe (maybe to Hungary), because I am sure it would be cheaper here. Lots of tv shows and Hollywood blockbusters are made near Budapest.
    While it would be cheaper, I think they would still opt for Canada instead which is closer to home for the actors involved which would almost certainly be half American and half Canadian (as is the law of the land when you film in Canada -- your crew has to employ a percentage of Canadians).

And you have no idea how many comments I've seen of people who are confused to find out it's not a new "series" but a webseries of 10' episodes (approx. cause from what I heard the first 20 minutes are split up into 10, 12 and 8 minutes) and that they don't actually have access to the rest of it (which Stargate Command conveniently never mentions unless it's pointed out to them).

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...s-origins-sgu/

He sounds like he would return if MGM asks him to develop a new SG show. I wish it would be true.