Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Quote Originally Posted by nivao View Post
    It is my opinion that MGM reached both extremes. They hyped up Stargate Origins, and particularly the "future of Stargate", and it totally under-delivered (regardless of any one's opinion of Origins). Then after Origins ended, they're suddenly keeping quiet about that same "future".
    Quote Originally Posted by WraithTech View Post

It seems as if there are 2 things the audience would like to see: 1) acknowledgement of the Twitter storm and 2) plans for more Stargate. These items do not have to be mutually inclusive. Keeping the numbers side under wraps while evaluating is understandable, but couldn’t they have Tweeted, “Shout out to all the Stargate fans tearing it up on Twitter!”? Nothing would have had to have been said about any future plans, just a brief tip of the hat to the fans.
    In a strategic point of view, *teasing* the fans and insinuating that they would create a new series (Even if they only acknowledge the tweet storm, most people would take that as a sign that a new series is coming) can be a double-edged sword. If for some reasons, the project doesn't go forward you've just disappointed hundreds of thousands of fans that might boycott your current & future products. Especially with the social medias nowadays news travel really really fast and can propagate fake news about continuation of SG.

Let's be honest though, most of us already hate MGM for what they've done to our beloved series. That being said, after all those years we, the fans, still crave for more and they know it. Sci-Fi has a special kind of fandom, much dedicated, educated and informed fans.

Doesn't matter if they acknowledge or not, they know that if and when they create a new show people will get on board.

Default Re: MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Even if they only acknowledge the tweet storm, most people would take that as a sign that a new series is coming
    Probably sadly true. I could see that happening. Joe's blog entry treated these as two separate things and thought MGM could acknowledge one but not the other. While he has a lot of recent experience in show biz, consumers can be predictably irrational. I don't know. If only we had a quantum mirror to find out how each decision would go.

Doesn't matter if they acknowledge or not, they know that if and when they create a new show people will get on board.
    So long as every country has access!

While he has a lot of recent experience in show biz, consumers can be predictably irrational. I don't know.
    Well we will never know... if they don't say anything!

If only we had a quantum mirror to find out how each decision would go.
    A quantum mirror... hmm never thought about that! The possibilities would be... infinite! We could then make a case that a new SG series in a parallel Universe worked just fine...

Oh yea definitely a must. Can't go through the SG:O fiasco again!

Maybe they postponed the announcement of the new spinoff as Brad Wright's new tv show (Travelers) has been renewed for a third season. Maybe they don't want to do anything without him and maybe he can't manage two shows at the same time. Blablabla.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

The Twitter storm is simply more data to be considered and definitely helps assessing the sales potential. I think people shouldn't be expecting a response so soon, we are definitely not going to see the social media employee take initiative and respond to hundreds of thousands of fans!
    I think some acknowledgement wouldn't have gone amiss. Just a sort of "we heard you" is plenty.

I mean, that's what Sam Toles does all the same when someone praises Command or Origins. He's the director of the new digital media team of MGM.

I agree, but as one of the people on the side of the fans, I can clearly prove that not hearing about anything also has a negative effect.
    Second that.

It is my opinion that MGM reached both extremes. They hyped up Stargate Origins, and particularly the "future of Stargate", and it totally under-delivered (regardless of any one's opinion of Origins). Then after Origins ended, they're suddenly keeping quiet about that same "future". They extended the All-Access, and yet they remain quiet about everything else. But they never hit that sweet spot of revealing just enough to keep us on our toes, while avoiding revealing too much. I attribute that to the fact that MGM could never do this well with Stargate, ever since it began with the TV franchise in 1997.
    I'm rather amused with that big panel with Chris Judge at whatever convention that was again, titling it the "Future of Stargate" and it turned out not to be about the future at all. Just more carrot dangling.

They hyped Origins at Comic Con but they missed the boat on marketing from the moment they announced it. There were literally no articles to be found other than the same 1 popping up in a few different places. The press room on Command has 1 article (a variation on the one that was published). If you do a search for Origins, it's the same 5 links popping up.

They absolutely failed in the marketing department and were literally hoping for word of mouth, and preferably not too globally either cause they weren't allowing anyone but 6 countries to enjoy their "big new thing".

It seems as if there are 2 things the audience would like to see: 1) acknowledgement of the Twitter storm and 2) plans for more Stargate. These items do not have to be mutually inclusive. Keeping the numbers side under wraps while evaluating is understandable, but couldn’t they have Tweeted, “Shout out to all the Stargate fans tearing it up on Twitter!”? Nothing would have had to have been said about any future plans, just a brief tip of the hat to the fans.
    This ^^

Nope, I won't. They burned that bridge, and as I have proven so far, when I hold a grudge against someone (Mallozzi & Mullie), I will literally ignore everything they involved in (Mallozzi has been redeeming himself lately). Therefore, I never watched Dark Matter or Blindspot (even though I would probably love the latter -- Martin Gero's baby).

Not even then. I would still fight for others to have access if it weren't the case, but I wouldn't give the new thing the light of day.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon by Falcon Horus & signature by JadedWraith || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Maybe they postponed the announcement of the new spinoff as Brad Wright's new tv show (Travelers) has been renewed for a third season. Maybe they don't want to do anything without him and maybe he can't manage two shows at the same time. Blablabla.
    “MGM hasn’t asked me to participate in any future Stargate content and I sort of understand their desire for fresh blood,” he wrote. “Wouldn’t say no if they asked though!” He reiterated on Twitter that his involvement in future productions would depend upon MGM asking him.

“I haven’t seen anything about Origins but wish them well,” he said. “Maybe one day they will want to reboot SG-1.”

Article found on Gateworld

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I'm rather amused with that big panel with Chris Judge at whatever convention that was again, titling it the "Future of Stargate" and it turned out not to be about the future at all. Just more carrot dangling.
    You mean his *Return of the Jaffa* or something similar pitch? I literally burst out loud laughing when I heard he said he was in *serious talk* about this possible new show.

Nope, I won't. They burned that bridge, and as I have proven so far, when I hold a grudge against someone (Mallozzi & Mullie), I will literally ignore everything they involved in (Mallozzi has been redeeming himself lately). Therefore, I never watched Dark Matter or Blindspot (even though I would probably love the latter -- Martin Gero's baby).
    Haven't watched Blindspot, but imo Dark Matter was pretty ''Meh''. You haven't missed out on much, especially now that the show is cancelled.

You mean his *Return of the Jaffa* or something similar pitch? I literally burst out loud laughing when I heard he said he was in *serious talk* about this possible new show.
    I think the only thing serious about his involvement with MGM is the dial home stuff on Command.

And no, they touted that Q&A as being about the future of stargate, while in actual fact it was just a Q&A with Chris Judge and there was literally nothing said about the future of stargate.

icon by Falcon Horus & signature by JadedWraith || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Maybe they don't want to announce the next spinoff as they will announce two spinoffs!
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Maybe they don't want to announce the next spinoff as they will announce two spinoffs!
    Considering the moment for announcing new tv shows is now (and passing), I'd say MGM is failing on all fronts (when it's anything but The Handmaid's Tale).

Darren also supported the hype when he posted such articles and videos that the franchise is back and maybe we get a 4th series. Somehow I hoped that he knows something, but he is not allowed to reveal it too early.

There is no 4th series coming.

When I asked Darren and Gateworld not to use spoiler images for Origins, they replied that it wasn't up to them to decide what images to use but what MGM chose for them, so he's on exactly the same level as every other all-access member -- far above us mere mortals but knowing little more than the rest of us do.

You mean his *Return of the Jaffa* or something similar pitch?
    I would like very much to see what Chris would do with this, along with what Joe would have done with SGA. Some of the actors care a lot about their roles and their fans, much more than MGM gives the impression that MGM cares.

Darren also supported the hype when he posted such articles and videos that the franchise is back and maybe we get a 4th series. Somehow I hoped that he knows something, but he is not allowed to reveal it too early.
    To be fair, GateWorld would almost have to upload the hype, lest they be the only Stargate site which does not and then lose status as a fan resource site for lacking that material. It's not a fun spot MGM put this site in either.

I don't want to blame him. Just as far as I know he was involved in the video interviews, so I hoped that maybe he knows more what officially we are allowed to know etc.

I still haven't given up the hope that something will be announced.

What few images MGM did grant Stargate sites to release didn't inspire much from fans. I can only find 1 artist who did Origins fanart. Artists need more references to work with and don't want to just keep drawing screen stills over and over. Big failure to lock up shareable content, which is free advertisements from fans. Fanart was how I found out about Stargate beyond the original movie.

I also checked some of the pages of artists in excluded countries who were part of the Drive to Revive and they are understandably silent about Stargate right now. Not a peep about Origins. Even fan artwork of SGA has slowed considerably (not sure about SG1 and SGU).

Also, speaking of content, what rehashed behind-the-scenes photos for SG1, SGA, and SGU that are uploaded to SGC, by both SGC in the feed and users mining them from Pinterest for the "forum," are just bitter reminders that all those photos, and thousands more, used to available on the old MGM site, in resolutions many times larger, and videos too, in an easy-to-search format. There were also pages on the various races and even whole pages and galleries for notable characters, treating them with respect, not some short and silly, xenophobic and misgendering "creature feature" blurbs. It's like someone replacing your Transformers with Gobots and thinking you won't notice.

Taking things away from consumers, in whole or in part, e.g. replacing the free-for-all MGM site with the smaller SGC app limited by geography, also goes up against established consumer psychology research. As Robert Cialdini says, newly-experienced scarcity is more powerful than constant scarcity. Humans are hard-wired to avoid losses, be it anything from intangible rights to tangible goods. And, Daniel Kahneman's research on loss aversion says losses loom larger than gains. Even with me being aware of these biases, I still feel their pull within this fandom.
    Last edited by WraithTech; May 18th, 2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the background infos, so we can see the bigger picture.

What few images MGM did grant Stargate sites to release didn't inspire much from fans. I can only find 1 artist who did Origins fanart.
    *points at avatar*

I made that -- Origins Catherine fanart. (more accurately Ellie Gall / Catherine fanart)

*points at avatar*

I made that -- Origins Catherine fanart. (more accurately Ellie Gall / Catherine fanart)
    Lovely work! The orange-gold undertones give the avatar a sunny and vibrant glow and the composition of the rule of thirds has a nice balance.

I hadn't realized you made it and thought it came from the GW image bank (and now see there do not appear to be any Origins avatars available yet at all unless I missed them).

Lovely work! The orange-gold undertones give the avatar a sunny and vibrant glow and the composition of the rule of thirds has a nice balance.
    Thanks. I pride myself on accidental rule of thirds (though it probably happens more because I subconsciously have been drilled on it in my education years).

I hadn't realized you made it and thought it came from the GW image bank (and now see there do not appear to be any Origins avatars available yet at all unless I missed them).
    There are indeed no avatars available.
    And I made it around the time the trailer was released (I kinda fell head over heels there -- *grin*).

(I kinda fell head over heels there -- *grin*).
    To replace the Heighmeyer one, that act had to be important. ^_^

Ah, our favorite characters... a big part of the reasons so many of us put up with MGM's bad decisions.

More Observations: Branding Downplay and Simplified World-Building for Short-Terms

MGM made moves to strip out MGM branding from Stargate links and photos. Were they keeping their options open to make the franchise more portable (and thus easier to sell if they did want to sell it)?

*The old Stargate site’s link of about 10 years was http://stargate.mgm.com/ Note the MGM in the name. When the site was taken down, this link then directed to a SGC Facebook page and now redirects to the SGC app site. The MGM ownership has been stripped out of the site links.

*Photos previously posted by MGM had MGM watermarks on them which have now been stripped out. Example from the old site saved by a fan: https://c1.primacdn.cz/sites/default...y_showtime.jpg with a watermark on bottom left on Sam’s shoulder as compared to the re-upload on SGC which does not: https://app-assets.top-fan.com/uploa...77d43d1241.png (note also the small sizes of the SGC’s site photos as compared to the old site’s). The Origins character sheets are some of the few places in which have MGM on them and even then not the full logo.

Why go through all the trouble of deleting a site of about 10 years (the Wayback Machine started recording it as of 2007) with so many resources and monumental work, only to strip out the MGM and replace it with a paltry page which is costing money to run through TopFan and paying people to re-upload stuff?

And, why the sudden xenophobia and simplified world-building to make the aliens 2D and dismissable? The tie-in books veered from Legacy and the tie-in comics will be veering from their main arc, to match the language and spirit of the new SGC site's, which is to over-simplify and outgroup established Stargate races and societies in a way that does not match the TV shows (even Ronon called Wraith people and he/him and not it). All this seems to be happening around the same time of the new SGC site and downplays Stargate's past as well as indicates fewer long-term, long-arc investments. Legacy and the AM comic arcs went for years. Conversely, a simplified set of characters makes for quick, 2D stories, not sophisticated world-building modern audiences are used to, but cheaper and easier to pump out-- and, you get what you pay for.

Maybe it is something; maybe it is nothing. Just some observations. But, I remember an art site I used to frequent doing some odd things with their branding and pricing before they sold, including taking away the long-term 7 year subscription option. It’s just something to file away for now and I do not like what all I am seeing being done to the fandom.
    Last edited by WraithTech; May 19th, 2018 at 06:25 AM.