MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

So I think it'd be a given but it's good to hear. Chris Judge mentioned this at the Salt Lake City Con back in September but I don't think I've seen this around?

"Depending, truely, on your reaction to it [Origins] that could re-open the entire Stargate franchise. That is not lip service. I have sat in on meetings...and the guys at MGM now...we actually have people who are sci-fi fans, who are Stargate fans, who are open to continuing the saga in one form of another."

"I'm actually going in with my partner and we're going to be pitching a variety of things. But one of the things is tentatively titled right now "Return of the Jaffa" and that will actually be about what happens to Teal'c and the Jaffa Nation after they've achieved their freedom and all that."

"I give you my word, the future of the Stargate franchise is in your hands."

https://www.facebook.com/GetIntoGate...4797414566948/
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

I'm always a little hesitant when I hear about a cast member of a previously portrayed character pitching an idea for a show within an already existing universe. I'm pretty sure Tim Russ (Star Trek's Tuvok) pitched an idea for a miniseries to CBS which was declined, and I know Michael Dorn (Star Trek's Worf) has pitched several ideas about a Klingon show which likewise, have been turned down.

That said, unless MGM go by the way of a reboot, I don't think another traditional Stargate show about humanity is quite going to draw in the necessary crowds anymore, so the focus probably should be on a different aspect of the Stargate Universe; either a series about the Alterans and their war with the Wraith, or maybe the rise of the Goa'uld (but tell it from the perspective of the Tok'ra); something different which retains Stargate lore.
    sigpic

Comment

It sound nice. But honestly I believe the MGM should make a deal with Netflix like the CBS. Netflix should air the old SG series and any new SG movies / spinoffs in the future as they have got the biggest international audience. And maybe the Stargate : Command could be maintained only for airing in the US.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        It sound nice. But honestly I believe the MGM should make a deal with Netflix like the CBS. Netflix should air the old SG series and any new SG movies / spinoffs in the future as they have got the biggest international audience. And maybe the Stargate : Command could be maintained only for airing in the US.
        I'd be down with that! I'd certainly give the entirety of Stargate a rewatch if it was on Netflix. The initial/original film is on there - I watched it this past weekend!

I guess too, if they ever did do this, then future projects would be a more manageable and ... connected 10-13 episodes, rather than 22; of which I'd actually be more than content with.
        sigpic

Comment

It would be nice if there was more Stargate, but the franchise had to be in hands of someone who really knows what to do with it. Not a thing like Origins, being exclusive to some fans, more like the new Star Trek, if it has to be a streaming thing and not a normal TV series.
          But if it is anything like SG:O is, in the way the fans being treated, then I'd rather not have anymore Stargate at all. They should think more of the idea they had with the Stargate story. About people exploring and reaching out to others far away, make new friends and such things, so I guess they could also keep that in mind when broadcasting SG shows. To make it available to as many people as possible. That would also mean more new fans and more merchandise to be sold, which would mean also more money earned
          Last edited by DarkenLycht; 06 February 2018, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Oh boy, "return of the jaffa", sorry but that sounds as boring as the current Stargate Origins Story.
            Personally I found the whole java freedom/rebellion thing not exactly the most interesting story in Stargate.

It's a nice little diversion on the side, but that's about all it was.
            To make a new series focussed just on the Jaffa... no thanks.

Of course, if Christopher Judge is proposing this, it's just a coincidence that such a concept would have Teal'c as the main character right?

Same as Michael Dorn proposing a series focussed on the klingons. David Hewlett probably wouldn't mind a series with McKay in the lead too (neither would I, but admit it, there's a lot of people who would think that would suck, just as I am thinking about a Jaffa-centric series...)

There's a whole Stargate universe out there to explore, so do it, don't fall back on just one aspect of it to fill an entire series.
            And by the way, I know it's not the habit these days, but it's perfectly fine to even expand this universe and create new things, not just rehash old stuff...

Comment

If you want Netflix to air stargate, then you better find enough people who would be willing to watch it because they only pay for the license to show the franchise. If enough people are interested, the profit they could gain from it, would make the budget for the license an easy choice. However, if MGM knows that people are interested to watch their franchise, they'll be more likely to up the price of the license which would take a bigger cut out of Netflix' budget which would mean more people would have to buy a Netflix account to even the scale.

And that's probably what MGM is really after -- hey, it's all about the money and the profit one can make. Fans are just more likely to give money faster than casual viewers.

If the interest is there, they can up the price for the license and make more money that way. They don't even have to create new content for it. More content obviously means higher license price anyway, but I'm guessing they don't keep cheap at the moment either -- otherwise Netflix wouldn't have been taking stargate down from their libraries in the past few months and years.

Also, don't forget that the Netflix library isn't the same everywhere. Yes, they have the largest international audience but their libraries aren't as large everywhere.

Originally posted by DrMckay View Post
              David Hewlett probably wouldn't mind a series with McKay in the lead too (neither would I, but admit it, there's a lot of people who would think that would suck...
              It's called Stargate Atlantis.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                So I think it'd be a given but it's good to hear. Chris Judge mentioned this at the Salt Lake City Con back in September but I don't think I've seen this around?
                Not surprised at all. Quite clearly this is MGM testing the waters, though in probably the dumbest way possible.

Originally posted by Flash525 View Post
                I'm always a little hesitant when I hear about a cast member of a previously portrayed character pitching an idea for a show within an already existing universe. I'm pretty sure Tim Russ (Star Trek's Tuvok) pitched an idea for a miniseries to CBS which was declined, and I know Michael Dorn (Star Trek's Worf) has pitched several ideas about a Klingon show which likewise, have been turned down.
                Judge, but also many other SG1 members have written and directed episodes of the series. So i'm not at all scared about Judge pitching a series. Most of the good Jaffa episodes were directed by him anyway.

Oh boy, "return of the jaffa", sorry but that sounds as boring as the current Stargate Origins Story.
                Personally I found the whole java freedom/rebellion thing not exactly the most interesting story in Stargate.
                I thought it was an interesting idea, though the fact that the Jaffa had essentially no education and history of their own made any kind of serious development extremely hard. It would take DECADES for them to get to the level of a 3rd world country, more than a century to be a modern civilization. it's this simple fact -that the goa'uld kept everyone dumb- that prevented it from being more. But now, Judge could definitely have them set after a time-skip where a more modernized Jaffa nation struggles with following either established cultures or their own.

Of course, if Christopher Judge is proposing this, it's just a coincidence that such a concept would have Teal'c as the main character right?
                If he writes and/or directs it, it's extremely doubtful he'll have time to play a character.
                Last edited by thekillman; 06 February 2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Falcon Hours: The whole world is about the money. But the Netflix would be the best option to spread the new SG shows or movies to many countries. Not to mention that they could invest a lots of money while we could see it from the ratings if the SG brand can be saved or not.

I could imagine a series of SG anthology movies like a series of 90 minutes long movies with diferent storylines. Basically what they planned to do on DVDs. This way they could tell us such stories where they can hire only 1-2-3 main actors from the earlier SG shows. Like a Teal'c or McKay centric story as you said it. And I doubt that they actors would say no if they have to work just a few weeks for a nice paycheck.

Or I would be happy to see a new Milky Way centred spinoff. I wouln't mind if Chris Judge writes it, because he has written some really nice SG-1 episodes. And obviously his title is just a working title. I always wanted to see a Stargate : Academy type spinoff, where they could introduce new races, new Jaffa fractions where they could deal some missions /political debate / explorations in the Milky Way. So even if the SGC set is destroyed they could introduce a new base. Teal'c (and Bra'tac) could be some mentors there who would educate the future generations while they could deal with the aftermath of Ori crusade, Lucian alliance, death of the Asgard, return of the Vans (evil-Asgards), revelations of the planets of Merlin's inner gate network, Ashen treats etc.
                  Last edited by Platschu; 06 February 2018, 09:43 AM.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Falcon Hours: The whole world is about the money.
                    I know... unfortunately...

But the Netflix would be the best option to spread the new SG shows or movies to many countries. Not to mention that they could invest a lots of money while we could see it from the ratings if the SG brand can be saved or not.
                    Hence why it would be important to let Netflix know, and not MGM. This may sound backwards in a way, but Netflix is the one who has to pay the license fee to broadcast the shows, and MGM is the one to set the amount, so if that stays low, more chance Netflix (or any other digital streaming service) would be willing to give out the cash for it.

...Vans (evil-Asgards)...
                    Isn't that a brand of shoes?

Comment

Martin Gero said somewhere that the evil Asgards were meant to be the Vanirs (or Vans).
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanir
                      http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Vanir
                      But some of them like Kvasir and Freyr were already showed as "asgards".

Comment

Ah Vanirs... -- that doesn't make me think of shoes.

Comment

I'm not sure about MGM and Netflix though. Because the 1994 film was on Netflix (here in NL) for only a short time, and I think Atlantis was on there a few years back when I first got Netflix, but very, very quickly disappeared.

Comment

Well. SG-1 is 21 years old, while Atlantis is 14 years old. Basically everybody watched them already who wanted. That is one of the main reason SG:C won't be too successful. Viewers needs new movies, new shows, new materials, not the same old episodes recycled for 6 countries out of 200. Honestly, most of the fans have got it on DVDs at home, so why would we pay for the SG:C? If they could release a BD version of SG-1 than maybe some fans would consider to buy it, but it would also cost millions to upgrade the image quality and the special effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Isn't that a brand of shoes?
                              No, that's square-root-of-answer ;p

Comment

Working...
                              X