Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for timeline order for some Star Trek Novels (Post Nemesis, Post DS9, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for timeline order for some Star Trek Novels (Post Nemesis, Post DS9, etc.)

What I am looking for is a timeline order for all the Post Nemesis, Post DS9, Post Voyager (Homecoming and beyond) and Titan Novels so I can read them in that order and not have to chose which series to read next. Books like Cold Equations, for example, I will be reading all of those before I move on to the next book in the timeline.

I did find these but I'm not sure if I want to use them:
    https://startreklitverse.yolasite.co...ading-list.php
    http://www.thetrekcollective.com/p/t...ing-order.html
    http://killie-booktalk.blogspot.com/...challenge.html

I'm thinking the first book would be one of these Death in Winter (TNG), A Time to... series (before Nemesis) or The Lives of Dax (DS9). I'm also guessing that A Stitch in Time (DS9), A Singular Destiny and Articles of the Federation would be included somewhere in timeline. Would Star Trek: Section 31 fit into the timeline or not?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by planet_tv; 05 February 2018, 09:12 PM.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

That is...not a small request, given the sheer volume of Trek books, and how they’re written (often with chapters or even entire sections set years before th present events).

I’d been looking into something similar a while back, let me see what I can dig up once I get home from work.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Try this link http://www.shastrix.com/books/star-t...ding-order.php
      sigpic

Comment

Strict chronology, you could follow the Memory Beta year pages.

For example, start in 2375; scroll down to the Stories section, and then down to just after What You Leave Behind. The MB folks have worked this out down to the chapter, and you could continue year by year.

I haven't read a ton of Trek expanded universe stuff, so I couldn't say how well this works, but I have to imagine it would make things flow pretty poorly.

Alternatively, you could follow each series/metastory separately. A number of the lines are numbered, making them easier to follow, even if you aren't hitting the whole expanded universe in strict chronological order. In some cases, like the DS9 Relaunch, the editor of the series has a preferred order even if it's not strictly chronological.

...I had forgotten how much of a pain this is!

edit; OH! And one negative anti-recommendation! There's a series called New Frontier....it sucks. It is so, so bad. I really tried to get through it, but it just reads like incredibly lazy fanfic. Avoid at all costs!
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Strict chronology, you could follow the Memory Beta year pages.

For example, start in 2375; scroll down to the Stories section, and then down to just after What You Leave Behind. The MB folks have worked this out down to the chapter, and you could continue year by year.

I haven't read a ton of Trek expanded universe stuff, so I couldn't say how well this works, but I have to imagine it would make things flow pretty poorly.

Alternatively, you could follow each series/metastory separately. A number of the lines are numbered, making them easier to follow, even if you aren't hitting the whole expanded universe in strict chronological order. In some cases, like the DS9 Relaunch, the editor of the series has a preferred order even if it's not strictly chronological.

...I had forgotten how much of a pain this is!

edit; OH! And one negative anti-recommendation! There's a series called New Frontier....it sucks. It is so, so bad. I really tried to get through it, but it just reads like incredibly lazy fanfic. Avoid at all costs!

Thanks for all the help. I will take the links you two have provided and what I have found and come up with a list that kind of melds them all together. I will post my list here once I get it done. As for the New Frontier novels, I had decided around the time they first came out not to even bother with them and besides that I have 108 of my 136 Star Trek novels (TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and Titan) unread as well as about 52 of my 56 Stargate Novels (SG-1, SGA, SGU).

I was looking at the Post DS9 novel list and saw Section 31 #3: Abyss which I have because it was part of the book Twist of Fate and was wondering this: Does matter if I read TNG: Rogue, VOY: Shadow and TOS: Cloak?

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Here's the timeline I came up with: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1du...3Zcg-N3YeyIicZ

It's a combination of Memory Beta's List and this one because Memory Beta had some books listed that the other one didn't and vice visa. It is a Word document (.doc) that I did up in Word 2003.

I did not include the following:
            • Star Trek: Gateways Demons of Air and Darkness
            • Star Trek: Gateways Horn and Ivory novella
            • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One
            • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two
            • any Star Trek: Prometheus novels
            • The following e-books: The Struggle Within from the Typhon Pact series, The Stuff of Dreams (TNG), Q Are Cordialy Uninvited (TNG), Lust's Latinum Lost (and Found) (DS9), Rules of Accusation (DS9) and I, The Constable (DS9).

As for the e-books please tell me where you think they fit on my timeline and when I do my Excel version I will have a sheet that has a "with e-books" version. If any of the novels in The Fall series are series specific please let me know which ones and what series. I will, of course, share the Excel version as well. I will update this timeline when there are more books that come out like To Lose the Earth (VOY).

Comment

I have updated my timeline to include the TNG novel Available Light and made a few minor changes. If the Voyager novel To Lose the Earth ever comes out that will mostly likely go after Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night.

Timeline used: http://www.shastrix.com/books/star-t...ding-order.php

Link to word document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1duL...N3YeyIicZ/view

Here are the sections with changes:

Old Version
              Updated Version
              • Typhon Pact:
                3. Rough Beasts of Empire (DS9)
                4. Paths of Disharmony (TNG)
              • A Pocket Full of Lies (VOY)
              • Fallen Gods (Titan)
              • Architects of Infinity (VOY)
              • Typhon Pact:
                6. Plagues of Night (DS9)
              • Typhon Pact:
                3. Rough Beasts of Empire (DS9)
                4. Paths of Disharmony (TNG)
              • A Pocket Full of Lies (VOY)
              • Architects of Infinity (VOY)
              • Fallen Gods (Titan)
              • Typhon Pact:
                6. Plagues of Night (DS9)
              • Control (Section 31)
              • Enigma Tales (DS9)
              • Headlong Flight (TNG)
              • Original Sin (DS9)
              • Hearts and Mind (TNG)
              • Fortune of War (Titan)
              • Control (Section 31)
              • Enigma Tales (DS9)
              • Original Sin (DS9)
              • Headlong Flight (TNG)
              • Hearts and Mind (TNG)
              • Fortune of War (Titan)
              • Available Light (TNG)

Comment

Working...
              X