Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Solo" 5/2018

Default Re: "Solo" 5/2018

Saw it last night. I didn't care for the the first little bit and then loved every minute after a certain point. Very pleasantly surprised. I know this one will generate discussions. I think they diffused some fan controversy and ignited some fan controversy. I have a cousin who is a die hard Star Wars fan and she was pleasantly surprised. She didn't love it and there were parts she hated, but overall she was pleasantly surprised and appreciated most of it.

I saw it last night too and was quite pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. Lots of sly deep-cut Expanded Universe references as well.

I wonder if it’ll get a sequel? They certainly left the possibility open.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I saw it last night too and was quite pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. Lots of sly deep-cut Expanded Universe references as well.

Duo. A Star Wars film.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Duo. A Star Wars film.
    Nailed it in one P-90_177.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Duo. A Star Wars film.
    Get out. We don't serve your kind here
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Where's the social justice droid when you want it?

I loved this movie. Every bit. And...does this settle the question of Han and Greedo and shooting? And don't worry Han...Keera is hot and everything, but you'll get a genuine Princess

It left me wanting more...like more about everything.

There were certainly some unexpected twists that took the story in fascinating directions.

I know one friend who actually didn't care for the movie but I don't think he's even aware of the numerous EU references in the film. I personally enjoyed it, and I'm hoping there will be a follow-up.

I bet when he and Leia had Ben they were quite the Trio for a while there.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

*Is Social Justice Tood* Equal rights for all jokes, including puns!!!

I liked this.
    The Millennium Falcon has always been my favorite ship in this franchise since 1977.
    It's fascinating to see her when she was new.
    One thing sorta makes better sense now. If she's meant to carry cargo in her forward mandibles, where she had been rigged with an escape pod in the movie, it would explain her high performance. Engines are oversized, in anticipation of heavy freight loads there. I can't wait to get this on BD and freeze some of the shots of the new Falcon.

Regarding the rest of the film, it was cool seeing Han & Chewie's origin story.

One must really wonder how Han's old GF, Qi’ra ended up working for Maul. It was hinted at what she had done in the years since their separation, but that must have been interesting, to say the least.

But on the whole, I think this was definitely a "b-team" effort. It's not up to what Disney has already shown they can do with this franchise.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Well, my son and I finally saw the movie this past Saturday. It was enjoyable. I did like seeing the "new" Millennium Falcon and seeing how Chewie and Han became friends.

I was surprised to see the appearance of Maul.

According to the information I found...this would be where Solo falls into the Star Wars Timeline:

• 32 BBY (Before the Battle at Yavin): The Phantom Menace
    • 22 BBY: Attack of the Clones
    • 19 BBY: Revenge of the Sith
    • 12 BBY: Solo
    • 0 BBY: Rogue One
    • Year 0: Star Wars
    • 3 ABY (After the Battle at Yavin): The Empire Strikes Back
    • 4 ABY: Return of the Jedi
    • 34 ABY: The Force Awakens
    • 34 ABY: The Last Jedi

Mostly right, except Solo’s placement there is slightly off. Its intro is in 13 BBY, while the main events of the film are in 10 BBY.

Oddly coincidental: Rogue One’s intro sequence (the part with Jyn as a child when her dad is captured and mum killed) is also in 13 BBY.

I enjoyed this film a lot, 4 things set it apart for me that made me love it even more

1: Hans homeworld; WE FINALLY get to see Corellia on the big screen! FINALLY; that had me sucked in hook line and gosh dang fishing boat!
    2: Han and Chewie's inital meeting and Han speaking broken Shriwook; laughable at times but so worth it how shaky he is about it making it even better on how they met.
    3: The Kessel Run, Han was right, the Kessel Run according to some sites {none of which were offical execept for I think it was Wookieepedia} said that the Kessel Run itself is 22parsecs long due to how it winds through the nebulae, Han made it 12 parsecs long due to going outside the inital path. Which was truly worth it
    4: THE SUBBACC GAME! Yes, yes yes YES we see how he wins the Falcon good and proper!

All in all, great film, and Star Wars Explained did the timetrable; Solo takes place 4 years before Rebels begins, 9 years after Episode 3, and 10 years before Episode 4, and 44 years before Force Awakens

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete

"Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    I enjoyed this film a lot, 4 things set it apart for me that made me love it even more

1: Hans homeworld; WE FINALLY get to see Corellia on the big screen! FINALLY; that had me sucked in hook line and gosh dang fishing boat!
    2: Han and Chewie's inital meeting and Han speaking broken Shriwook; laughable at times but so worth it how shaky he is about it making it even better on how they met.
    3: The Kessel Run, Han was right, the Kessel Run according to some sites {none of which were offical execept for I think it was Wookieepedia} said that the Kessel Run itself is 22parsecs long due to how it winds through the nebulae, Han made it 12 parsecs long due to going outside the inital path. Which was truly worth it
    4: THE SUBBACC GAME! Yes, yes yes YES we see how he wins the Falcon good and proper!

All in all, great film, and Star Wars Explained did the timetrable; Solo takes place 4 years before Rebels begins, 9 years after Episode 3, and 10 years before Episode 4, and 44 years before Force Awakens
    Five, but the rest is right

That would put it at around the same time Ezra runs into Kenan and the Ghost.

No, five years before Rebels. Solo is in 10 BBY, Rebels begins in 5 BBY. Five years apart, not four as Awanita says SWExplained said

No, five years before Rebels. Solo is in 10 BBY, Rebels begins in 5 BBY. Five years apart, not four as Awanita says SWExplained said
    I wonder if Enfyst was working with the Organas or an ally of theirs at the time? I did think it was a bit early for her to start talking about a rebellion.

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    I wonder if Enfyst was working with the Organas or an ally of theirs at the time? I did think it was a bit early for her to start talking about a rebellion.
    It's quite possible. We know from various novels that Bail & Breha Organa (Leia is too young at this point) began organizing clandestine resistance not long after the Clone Wars started, and recruited Ahsoka early on (around 18 BBY). We also know that Saw Gerrera's Partisans were a direct outgrowth of his Onderon-based resistance during the Clone Wars -- so there are at least two resistance factions that have been running already for nine years by the time Solo happens.

I musta missed the correct timing, my bad

Either way I am very happy to finally see Corellia on screen, looks better than the MMO; never expected the water though

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete

"Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

I was surprised to see it was a slave manufacturing planet. It was known for making spacecraft, but I had no idea it was a slave/forced labor operation.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine