X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 1 (101)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ORIGINS: CATHERINE

Ten years after discovering the Stargate, Professor Langford and his daughter Catherine face a foreboding threat when a Nazi officer arrives at the warehouse where they are studying the artifact.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 05 February 2021, 10:56 PM.

Well, they ain't mucking about are they? They get right into it.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
      Well, they ain't mucking about are they? They get right into it.
      Yeah... Talk about a face-paced moving story! Still trying to catch my breath . 10-minutes episodes are just crazy fast!!!

I particularly loved the nice tie-in at the beginning... Dubbing Connor Trinneer's voice over the original 1994 movie. And instead of being greeted to "Present Day" as in the movie... We get a nice "10 years later" instead!

Comment

Funny anecdote...

As I was starting to watch the episode on my computer on stargatecommand.co, a Youtube pop-up came out informing me that a LIVE stream from user stargatecommand had just started. It was the LIVE streaming of the original 1994 movie.
        Instinctively I clicked on it, and it started the youtube video right beside my other window playing the beginning of SGO episode 1.

Lo and behold, I was greeted with the same footage synchronized to the second in both windows... But from a movie and a webisode made a quarter of a century apart from each-other.

I was totally mind-blown to be truthful... Obviously it didn't stay synced for very long as they've cut a lot out of the original sequence in SGO... But it was exactly spot-on during the scene where they are rising the gate from the sand.

Talk about coincidences... It must be a sign or something

Comment

Originally posted by jerem View Post
          I particularly loved the nice tie-in at the beginning... Dubbing Connor Trinneer's voice over the original 1994 movie. And instead of being greeted to "Present Day" as in the movie... We get a nice "10 years later" instead!
          I hadn't expected them to re-use that footage so I was happy they redubbed the voice. Was a nice tidy up of the whole them being German thing that was abandoned after the film.

But yeah, they really aren't messing around with the pacing really just got into it. I'm disappointed they didn't bring the DHD down with them and as the half hour progressed I was getting a bit concern with how it was all going to tie up.

I am liking Ellie (her surname escapes me right now) and it is certainly nice to see Connor back.

Wasn't keen on the 'Gate effects. I like that they're trying to be a bit more faithful to the movie but it just looked so cheap. It would have been nice if they'd be able to take a page from the other show's book with the projected puddles.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            Wasn't keen on the 'Gate effects. I like that they're trying to be a bit more faithful to the movie but it just looked so cheap. It would have been nice if they'd be able to take a page from the other show's book with the projected puddles.
            The problem is that they made the gate proper metal. While this is true to the series (the stargate was, after all, metal), but we know know why the original movie and the series went with the stone look: because a metal gate looks fake as hell. I'm told it's a real prop, but it basically looks like any simple Blender material you could download to make practice renders with.

Comment

I was thinking more the Puddle. I don't mind the metal effect but it's overly shiny and the symbols and patterns aren't distinct enough.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Yeah, the puddle looked a wee bit too CGI to me... Probably because it's a lower budget.

Comment

The puddle wasn't great, though I don't feel like it was that far off the original effects. Some of the other shtos were less convincing. There was one conversation with Catherine and Dr. Langford in front of the gate that was shaky to say the least. I kept hoping they'd cut to another shot, and it just sat there.

I do like how they dive right into the story. We don't have 40 minutes of set-up for a 100-minute series. At least we still have a lot of time left for the story to take hold.

Comment

That "window" behind the gate on Abydos looked so fake. It looked like a child's crayon drawing. Every time I saw it... ugh.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X