Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Origins vs Reboot (Spoilers for Stargate Origins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    That's....absurd. Completely and utterly. All of a minute of it has been released.

I'm not saying you must like what they make, or else! Of course not, everyone is entitled to their own tastes and there are going to be people who won't like this. Who knows, I may not even like it.

But to claim you can make an accurate, sweeping assessment of their story and how it fits into the SG-verse based on a minute of hype footage? That's nonsense
    I don't know, but aren't trailers supposed to be representative of the final product to hook people in? Obviously I don't know about the whole 100-minute story, but all the footage that has been released contains elements that contradict established canon, as well as the established characters and aesthetics. As much as I like strong female characters, Catherine acts completely out of character based on her other appearances, as does her father. The Stargate looks completely different, unless they magically replace it in the final release, and several of the situations depicted were never mentioned or shown in any of the original works ( such as the Nazis, an active Stargate, or the synopsis that Catherine has to prevent something terrible), which means it requires trickery to shove it into the established canon and that usually constitutes bad writing (at least what I've heard from experienced writers).

I'm not 100% accurate, and many trailers have been somewhat misleading, but unless the whole trailer is fake, there's plenty of proof that it's not SG-1/Atlantis/Universe canon. And this isn't just a random opinion, I've watched all of the teasers and trailers several times and formed a more critical opinion, comparing it to twenty years of established material. Don't you think I would like to be proven wrong? I'm usually very optimistic, hell, I even think Mass Effect Andromeda is a decent game, but with everything MGM has released my optimism about Stargate was diminished until it's almost completely gone. One part still thinks it's going to work out, but I'm afraid of the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Ask Marvel.
      Step 1: Wait till Disney buys MGM...

And yes, I'm a big fan of MCU - but I wouldn't be half as invested if it weren't for Agents of Shield. That's what keeps me interested in that universe, what makes it feel organic for me, not a few random shots of Thanos they've given me in the last ten years.

Comment

Trailers are very rarely put together by the people who make the actual film/show/whatever. I completely agree with Digifluid (+1 btw) and unfortunately I think that's it's something of a pandemic attitude amongst pretty much every fandom. I'll wait to watch the actual thing before I form an opinion on it.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          But something I forgot earlier... What if Origins is the idea of a reboot? It does start all the way back from the beginning. It starts fresh. What if this is MGM's plan all along, and Stargate Origins is to 2018 what Stargate was to 1994. And there's going to be a Jonathan Glassner out there who'll maybe want to turn it into a tv-show and well... ignore all we've learned in the old shows and begin anew. Or change the story and take it some place else, like Battlestar Galactica maybe.
          I would like to think that Origins is the intended origin of a reboot, but from what I've managed to find out about it (which, granted, isn't much) it very much seems as though Origins isn't going to be changing the events that have preceded it, and it is very much set in the same universe as SG1, SGA & SGU, just obviously, earlier.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
            I don't know, but aren't trailers supposed to be representative of the final product to hook people in?
            Nope. Trailers are only designed to hook people in, they're not telling the story. Most of the time trailers aren't even assembled by the people involved in the project, they're put together by the studio or distributor's promotions department with the sole purpose of being flashy enough to get people to buy into it. That's how we get those ridiculously off-base things like how Drive (the Ryan Gosling movie) was promoted like it was Fast and Furious clone, when it was nothing even remotely like that.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I hope to God you're all right. Still doesn't change the fact that the gate looks nothing like the one in the shows, and that Catherine acts at least somewhat out of character (too much Indiana Jones/Lara Croft cliche) compared to how her acts in 1945, 1969, 1995/6 and 1997. At least the way she acts just feels wrong, compared to the rest of the character's portrayal, and not from being a woman. At the least, my opinion is formed not from the trailers as a whole, but from the individual scenes (knowing that trailers are always at least somewhat skewed from the final work) and comparing it to what I know from having seen pretty much the whole franchise. At this point, there are many tiny bits that are somewhat unconvincing.

Then there's the part where I can't form a proper opinion, at least not any time soon, since I can't get All Access and watch all 10 episodes. And everything that is supposed to convince me, is doing anything but. And by the time I could be able to get All Access, I've already lost interest.

The funny thing is, most of my experience with trailers is that the final work is usually worse than the trailers showed. I go in with a certain expectation about a good move or TV series and then get something completely different, different in that it's nowhere as good as what the trailer inferred.

Yes, I'm taking this too personally, but that's what you get if you grew up with Stargate and when you didn't have anything else like true friends to hang out with. Now someone else is doing things different than what you liked about it and it sometimes feels like a betrayal.

I hope to God I'm wrong.
              Last edited by NickEast; 03 February 2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ESESEL View Post
                Origins I have no problem with (well, except that I'm not allowed to watch most of it). On the contrary, I hope it succeeds and brings us more Origins, like the rise of Tok'ra, the four races, Ancients in Pegasus, young Bra'tac...
                Which you then also don't get to see.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Flash525 View Post
                  I would like to think that Origins is the intended origin of a reboot, but from what I've managed to find out about it (which, granted, isn't much) it very much seems as though Origins isn't going to be changing the events that have preceded it, and it is very much set in the same universe as SG1, SGA & SGU, just obviously, earlier.
                  Hopefully not. That would suck if they do. I don't think they will change anything but might shed light on why we sent the bomb right out the gate in the first place.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    I would like to see a reboot. I hate the whole "Asgard core" copout, and prefer the original premise - a group of people like us, exploring the universe. The use of starships was quite cool, but things like convenient intergalactic travel took a lot of sting out of SGA, while the Core made any issue too easy (have a problem? pose a question to the Core, and it'll solve it for you. Doesn't even need knowledge of the subject). God, AOT opened up such a can of worms with that.

I see no other way but to restart fresh.
                    You know, they should have kept Atlantis cut off from Earth for far longer... maybe that would have sparked some new ideas.

But something I forgot earlier... What if Origins is the idea of a reboot? It does start all the way back from the beginning. It starts fresh. What if this is MGM's plan all along, and Stargate Origins is to 2018 what Stargate was to 1994. And there's going to be a Jonathan Glassner out there who'll maybe want to turn it into a tv-show and well... ignore all we've learned in the old shows and begin anew. Or change the story and take it some place else, like Battlestar Galactica maybe.
                    Those are actually all good points. Depends of course on how it is done, but I wouldn't be against a reboot perse. Maybe I'd even prefer a good reboot of the stargate series in TV format, which may or may not start with the new Origins series, over another reincarnation set in the current Stargate universe. The arguments I would give to prefer a TV series reboot over a new Stargate film of TV-series are largely mentioned above. Furthermore, I would like to add to these arguments, I hated the half-assed, deus ex-machina and unsatisfying endings of all three previous shows (SGA, SGA and SGU). At least SG1 got some more proper endings with the movies, but thekillman pointed out the problem with that one.

With the last ending, the SGU ending, and the last Stargate for the last 7 years, I was very disappointed. Yes, SGU might have had a difficult start, and might not have been for every one, and might have been a very different Stargate incarnation than what came before. Still I feel it did not deserve the ending or the cancellation it got, most certainly not after a more satisfying storyline and acting in season 2. I am still bitter about that and how since we have been without Stargate. Ultimately this leads me to believe I would prefer a quality reboot TV series fitting with the current opportunities in 2018 (maybe starting with this Origins miniseries/webisodes) over a fourth Stargate incarnation which ends after one season on the pile with the other ones. I hope that makes sense to someone.
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Origins stories risk retconning the existing timelines and series -- and they are clearly only made to make a quick buck and to divide the fandom.
                      See...this is my concern with Origins. I like the idea, but just want I saw in previews seems to contradict things we know in the established timeline. Of course, I've only seen snippets. And I'm not paying for an extra service just to watch these episodes. So, not all people will have access.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                        Furthermore, I would like to add to these arguments, I hated the half-assed, deus ex-machina and unsatisfying endings of all three previous shows (SGA, SGA and SGU). At least SG1 got some more proper endings with the movies, but thekillman pointed out the problem with that one.
                        Ironically, SG1 got two good endings planned but the show got unexpectedly renewed. Then, when they expected it to be renewed, it got cancelled. Hence the rather deus-ex-machina ending. SGA was similarly expected to go one more season, but seems like MGM or Syfy got cold feet.

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                        Ultimately this leads me to believe I would prefer a quality reboot TV series fitting with the current opportunities in 2018 (maybe starting with this Origins miniseries/webisodes) over a fourth Stargate incarnation which ends after one season on the pile with the other ones. I hope that makes sense to someone.
                        I hope Origins does reasonably and we'll see a bigger-budget revival soon. But more than anything, i think the show needs to get rid of the whole easy asgard and ancient tech stuff. We never should've gotten to the point where Mckay was improving on ancient designs. It's ridiculous. Hence, i think that only with a reboot we'd get back to the "regular humans fighting camp aliens" type of story that i loved. Not to say i didn't enjoy later Stargate, but more than once i felt that the show was held back by it too much.

Naquadriah was an excellent plot device to ensure that the SGC could fight the Goa'uld without requiring their level of technology. Add some asgard help and we'd have done fine there.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          I hope Origins does reasonably...
                          Then help us get access.

Comment

Ugh, it got a horrible review in EW, but that doesn't phase me as a die-hard fan. I know from experience that sometimes these things take a while to even out and get going. I agree on the comments about Catherine and find her character too jarring and anachronistic to be convincing. I'm hoping that this as well as the cheap production values won't keep them from doing more and attracting more than the die hards! Oh, and I hate the money-grabbing gimmick of 10 minute eps and hope that goes away soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Ilana View Post
                              Oh, and I hate the money-grabbing gimmick of 10 minute eps and hope that goes away soon!
                              You better get used to it like a lot of us have to get used to being blocked, because it looks like if Origins story continue to be made, that's how they will continue to be distributed. And let it be said -- if I'm an undesired fan now, I'll be one for the rest of that -- and they can stick it where Ra doesn't shine.

Comment

Working...
                              X