The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    Tell me now, since I actually plan to try and publish this thing when its done {or in phases, either work} am I crazy ?
    Wrong people to ask, I think.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    Still thinking about my "S.H.I.E.L.D. Scotland" story, and since I know next to nothing about Inverness, I've decided that the Highlands and Islands guy (I need to give these characters names...) lives on a boat on Loch Ness.
    Loch Ness is certainly big enough for this to be a reality. There are several small boat docks along its shores, which, from the brief glances I had, contained several somewhat larger yachts.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Wrong people to ask, I think.
      *Grumbles in Dutch Carribean and pitches a semitruck tire sized wheel of Holland Cheese at Lemming*

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Loch Ness is certainly big enough for this to be a reality. There are several small boat docks along its shores, which, from the brief glances I had, contained several somewhat larger yachts.
        Yeah, there's boat trips that go up and down the loch for tourists. So there's bound to be the infrastructure to support watercraft.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Loch Ness is connected at its northern end to Loch Dochfour which feeds the River Ness which empties into the Moray Firth and eventually the North Sea. So small ocean going craft can reach the loch.

Also the Royal National Lifeboat Institution maintains a volunteer manned lifeboat station on Loch Ness.
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Ok, to give an example - a British character is to receive an honour of some sort from the Queen (or other member of the royal family).

Would you specifically write some dialogue between the two, or just have it pass in a daze for the fictional character?
            One of my fics is going to have mention of the Queen, or at least some of the Royal family. But it's in reference to Rememberence Sunday and the Festival of Rememberence we have here. Hopefully no one thinks I'm copying or anything.

I also have an urge to add as a character trait that a character can't lie because it makes them throw up.
            sigpic
            He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

Just because someone cannot outright lie just means they have to be very careful what they say.They can evade the question, ignore it, give truthful information that doesn't actually answer, all sorts of things.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Obi Wan Kenobi telling Luke Skywalker the truth about his father "From a certain point of view".
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I have several ideas regarding my fanfiction which I want to write the main premise is that Alterans are descended from either modern or further humans.
                  Who has time-traveled backwards in time more than 50 millions of years and across galaxies and arrived on the planet who got the name Celestis at a later date.

I have quite a few notes form brainstorming and problems that needs to be solved so the story is will be cohesive.
                  Like how the language that the Alterans are speaking is quasi-Latin and how to get Latin to be they's language.
                  Or how can they forget that they are time travelling humans and thinks that they have evolved on Celestis or been created in the case of the pre-ascended Ori?

The main reason that I want to write this fanfiction is because It's my head-cannon.
                  So the question is should I continue to work on this fanfiction or just let it die and be forgotten? What do you think about this premise and ideas?
                  Last edited by Ascended Jonas; 02 February 2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Jonas View Post
                    I have several ideas regarding my fanfiction which I want to write the main premise is that Alterans are descended from either modern or further humans.
                    Who has time-traveled backwards in time more than 50 millions of years and across galaxies and arrived on the planet who got the name Celestis at a later date.

I have quite a few notes form brainstorming and problems that needs to be solved so the story is will be cohesive.
                    Like how the language that the Alterans are speaking is quasi-Latin and how to get Latin to be they's language.
                    Or how can they forget that they are time travelling humans and thinks that they have evolved on Celestis or been created in the case of the pre-ascended Ori?

The main reason that I want to write this fanfiction is because It's my head-cannon.
                    So the question is should I continue to work on this fanfiction or just let it die and be forgotten? What do you think about this premise and ideas?
                    "The main reason that I want to write this fanfiction is because It's my head-cannon.
                    So the question is should I continue to work on this fanfiction or just let it die and be forgotten?"

First thing I saw and the answer is : NO.

Sure we can't write everythign that pops into our heads but if there's an idea you want to share then share it. If it was a one sentence concept then maybe it wouldn't be worth it but the fact you have notes and all these ideas that you have to go out an ask whether it should be continued is proof enough that it should.

In terms of the idea itself, it's certainly original. I would worry about certain paradoxes and biological degredations but I defer to everyone else for other opinions.

sigpic
                    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Yep. Practice, practice and more practice. Fan fictions are good to test your skills, your imagination. And who knows? Maybe the talented people will move on bigger projects like own novel or scifi world. But these skills must be built up slowly as nobody has born as a perfect writer or storyteller.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 a couple of nights ago, and it occurred to me - if Rocket's a genetically engineered creature who just looks like a bipedal talking racoon, then what are the odds that there's a similar being somewhere out there who looks like a teddy bear?

Kind of like the bear from the two Ted movies.

So yeah, my S.H.I.E.L.D. Scotland story will now be subtitled "Three Men and a Bear".

I kind of have this image in my head of a short tempered, very sweary bear with a broad Glaswegian accent,
                        sigpic

Comment

...made more short-tempered by the fact that no one can understand him?

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                            ...made more short-tempered by the fact that no one can understand him?

Seaboe
                            Cheek!
                            sigpic

Comment

I kind of have this image in my head of a short tempered, very sweary bear with a broad Glaswegian accent,
                              That could be very much worth reading I like the idea

Comment

I'm justifying the accent by saying the bear's ship crash landed somewhere in Glasgow (no one noticed), and he sort of picked up the local accent while trying to repair it. Then the guys from S.H.I.E.L.D. Scotland showed up and took him into custody.

They have trouble finding him clothes that'll fit, so they wind up buying stuff from Build-A-Bear. Of course, the bear objects to this most strongly.

"It's either Build-A-Bear, or baby clothes. Take your pick."
                                *grumble grumble grumble* "Fine... Build-A-Bear it is. But any of you buggers laugh, an' I'll bite yer kneecaps off!"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X