No announcement yet.

The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sometimes feel I get the occasional prod from Major Hunter. Usually along the lines of "Hey you, shouldn't I be a Colonel by now?"
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I've got a dilemma. I'm using a canon character (Teyla) who has slowly evolved into more of a nemesis than her traditional 'good guy' role in my story.

I'm not sure how much detail to go into, but she still believes what she is doing is right and it is for her people, her husband, and her son that she abandons Atlantis for a while and later puts a new civilian leader of Atlantisin danger, hoping that if she dies, all Teyla's wraith problems will be solved.

I'm worried this will anger too many fans, but I like the twist and I'd be rewriting the ending a lot if she immediately turned back to 'good'. Should i go through with it and show she has flaws, which she can succumb to, or keep her as her usual role?
      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
        I've got a dilemma. I'm using a canon character (Teyla) who has slowly evolved into more of a nemesis than her traditional 'good guy' role in my story.

I'm not sure how much detail to go into, but she still believes what she is doing is right and it is for her people, her husband, and her son that she abandons Atlantis for a while and later puts a new civilian leader of Atlantisin danger, hoping that if she dies, all Teyla's wraith problems will be solved.

I'm worried this will anger too many fans, but I like the twist and I'd be rewriting the ending a lot if she immediately turned back to 'good'. Should i go through with it and show she has flaws, which she can succumb to, or keep her as her usual role?
        Teyla is one of those characters that didn't get nearly as much development as she should have so I think it's great you're using her this way. Presuming she's doing what she's doing for the sake of saving the Athosians that makes sense too. I would say that you should focus a lot on how conflicted she is over damaging her relationship with Atlantis and maybe make it clear that she isn't 100% sure what she's doing is right but that she feels she has to. Other than that, go for it. It doesn't matter what the fans think. Some people will always hate your work while others love it. Don't compromise what you see as your vision for the story just to please others.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          Teyla is one of those characters that didn't get nearly as much development as she should have so I think it's great you're using her this way. Presuming she's doing what she's doing for the sake of saving the Athosians that makes sense too. I would say that you should focus a lot on how conflicted she is over damaging her relationship with Atlantis and maybe make it clear that she isn't 100% sure what she's doing is right but that she feels she has to. Other than that, go for it. It doesn't matter what the fans think. Some people will always hate your work while others love it. Don't compromise what you see as your vision for the story just to please others.
          She isn't 100% sure about it until the very end, where she feels both pushed into things, but also that the villain has given her an easy solution. It's too tempting, but also going against it means more struggling and compromises she doesn't want. But she very much sees all her actions as protecting her people.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
            She isn't 100% sure about it until the very end, where she feels both pushed into things, but also that the villain has given her an easy solution. It's too tempting, but also going against it means more struggling and compromises she doesn't want. But she very much sees all her actions as protecting her people.
            Then I think you're doing fine.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Has this happened to you ? Plan a single fandom story. Say in one universe of, for example, Kingdom Hearts. And somehow six chapters in it suddenly takes a Chronicles of Riddick vibe and suddenly instead of saving 2 guys you're saving the oeverall universe as a whole ?

Dopnt get me started on giving one my characters a starship from Chronicles of Riddick.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Yeah, Major Hunter (or captain as he was when I first started writing him) was only meant to be an extended cameo in a never finished SG-1/Star Trek/Highlander/time travel story.

You're happily writing away, take a break, come back a read what you've written and think "Where the hell did that come from?"
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I had something similar. I wanted a short fic, and I had to change some things so it could be finished. I realized it left a lot of dangling plot threads and when I tried to end those, the fic exploded into somethng huge.

Comment

My very first fanfic had people lamenting how bad it was, so I removed it. My next fanfic occured after binge watching season 1 of Stargate Atlantis, and it was actually enjoyable and many people like it.

Now my latest project is in Jumanji, and I find myseklf wanting to add random stuff from Chinese Ghost Story, Battle Through the Heavens and the Robert Van Gulik Judge Dee novels

So I need a certainy

Am I crazy ?

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I don't think you are, sounds like a nice thing to do actually, one does not always need to stick 100% close to the original to write a good fan fiction in my opinion

Comment

Yeah, it's perfectly reasonable to give things a bit of a tweak here and there.
                        sigpic

Comment

So the mere fact alone that there is RUMOR AT THIS TIME that I made the reference to Jumanji as "A book, three movies, and two video games, one of which is a full hologame" KEYWORDS; "THREE MOVIES" I also made references to Robin Williams in the story a lot so far

NOTE in my stargate atlantis massive story it adds Red Skelton into it, as an Ancient sent to help John and Teyla with their issues. it was so much fun to write

Comment

I always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity in the series, Sheppard referring to McKay, Beckett, and Zelenka as "The Three Stooges".
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              I always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity in the series, Sheppard referring to McKay, Beckett, and Zelenka as "The Three Stooges".
                              I have done that, once. I forget what story though.... oh wait the story got stuck and I never got back to it. it was SUPPOSED to be book three of a trilogy of mine, the first two books are done though.

Comment

I don't know what I was eating last night, but I had this crazy "Ant-Man and the Wasp" related dream that I'm going to - eventually - work into an MCU fic.

It's a couple of years after the events of "Avengers: Engame", and Nick Fury is rebuilding S.H.I.E.L.D. from the ground up.

He's made peace with Hank Pym, who has rejoined the agency on a temporary basis - bringing his family (and Scott Lang) with him.

For reasons I'm still thinking about, Hank has decided that Scott's daughter Cassie should be trained in the use of Pym Particle technology, so they need to decide on a codename for her.

Cassie: "How about Hornet?"
                                Scott: "Nah, been done."

They go through several other insect related names before Hank suggests Mosquito.

Cassie: "Mosquito? Why Mosquito?"
                                Hank: "Because you're whiny and annoying."
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X