X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be a really great fic, something different also

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 a couple of nights ago, and it occurred to me - if Rocket's a genetically engineered creature who just looks like a bipedal talking racoon, then what are the odds that there's a similar being somewhere out there who looks like a teddy bear?

Kind of like the bear from the two Ted movies.

So yeah, my S.H.I.E.L.D. Scotland story will now be subtitled "Three Men and a Bear".

I kind of have this image in my head of a short tempered, very sweary bear with a broad Glaswegian accent,
      ?I want to read it, now

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

The basic premise is an old enemy of SG Franchise gets his hands on a time dialation device buys himself a hundred years and comes out swinging.

How do you justifying using a time dialation device to build up a threat and then get rid of it in a believable way?
        Last edited by YutheGreat; 07 December 2020, 05:07 AM.
        Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
          How do you justifying using a time dialation device to build up a threat and then get rid of it in a believable way?
          The device or the thread?
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            The device or the thread?
            The device.

Remember human form replicators in SG-1 they got their hands on Asgard time dialation device used it to build their forces they were stopped because SG-1 fixed it so that it trapped the replicators in season 6 Unnatural selection?

same idea

the only thing I came up with is that the enemy will at some point stop using it when they think they can win or the logic they choose not to use it themselves anymore like burning their ships behind them so there can be no retreat.

Some scifi shows have done something similar:
            SG-1
            Andromeda

The idea is particularly applicable to Stargate because the enemies are somewhat immortal. Baal, Replicators, Todd, Michael. Any of them can do this and still come back and face the current teams
            Last edited by YutheGreat; 07 December 2020, 09:48 PM.
            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

I don't think the "villain" would stop using the device if it serves their purposes of "ruling the galaxy".

They would have to have a very good reason to stop using it. The thing is that not everything can be controlled and that nobody knows 100 percent for sure how something plays out, so I think they would always keep it close by and guard it well so that it may be used again if they so see fit.

Thinking you can win, and winning are two very different things.

Why are we still building weapons of mass destruction when people agree that we should never have another war? Or even use those weapons because of the assured mutual destruction we're inevitably will cause.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                I don't think the "villain" would stop using the device if it serves their purposes of "ruling the galaxy".

They would have to have a very good reason to stop using it. The thing is that not everything can be controlled and that nobody knows 100 percent for sure how something plays out, so I think they would always keep it close by and guard it well so that it may be used again if they so see fit.

Thinking you can win, and winning are two very different things.

Why are we still building weapons of mass destruction when people agree that we should never have another war? Or even use those weapons because of the assured mutual destruction we're inevitably will cause.
                oh yeah I get it. the justification for giving it up is thin. its the logic blackhole that readers would point out unless I figure out an answer. its not even the worst part; when you realize Earth has the tech to do the same. they have done the same. Its just a level of suspension of disbelief I am not sure readers can get pass. I couldn't.

another answer is protagonists blow it Up. It could work but if it were me as the villain I would take a portion of the time dialation experience to learn the tech and be able to make my own. still I could probably make it work that way

Just blow up the current device and delay/sabotage efforts to activate a new one. what do you think?
                Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

oh yeah I get it. the justification for giving it up is thin. its the logic blackhole that readers would point out unless I figure out an answer. its not even the worst part; when you realize Earth has the tech to do the same. they have done the same. Its just a level of suspension of disbelief I am not sure readers can get pass. I couldn't.

another answer is protagonists blow it Up. It could work but if it were me as the villain I would take a portion of the time dialation experience to learn the tech and be able to make my own. still I could probably make it work that way

Just blow up the current device and delay/sabotage efforts to activate a new one. what do you think?

I don't know what sort of plot you're aiming for but here's an idea. It sounds like these villains don't really know much about time dilation, they just found the machine and read the instruction manual. So what if they were building their forces and something went wrong. The device malfunctioned or there was an accident and was damaged. The accident not only caused the time dilation to turn off but did something to alert the the good guys something was suspicious about this portion of space.

Maybe the accident caused some kind of energy burst picked up by a nearby ship (probably not that because of how long it'll take for that energy to get anywhere). Or it sent out tachyon or some other FTL particles that were picked up. Or some machinery inside the time dilation field was playing with subspace signals but was contained by the field and the moment it shut off the subspace signals could be detected throughout the galaxy. Maybe the accident damaged their subspace equipment so it inadvertently sent out a subspace signal.

Either way, the good guys know there's something up with that portion of the galaxy. And the bad guys know the just got caught so they go 'screw it' and come at the good guys before they can piece together anything and are unprepared. You can also have moments where the good guys see the bad guys looking for very specific equipment because they want to try to fix their time dilation machine.

So it becomes the mystery of how did these bad guys get so advanced? What does it have to do with the strange event detected? And why are they going after certain pieces of technology? Then when the answer is discovered, it's a matter of not just stopping the bad guys but making sure they don't fix the time dilation device. Hell, if you want to amp up the stakes, they do get the field started again but some of the good guys manage to get in it. So they have to win inside the time dilation or the bad guys win by default.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                    I don't know what sort of plot you're aiming for but here's an idea. It sounds like these villains don't really know much about time dilation, they just found the machine and read the instruction manual. So what if they were building their forces and something went wrong. The device malfunctioned or there was an accident and was damaged. The accident not only caused the time dilation to turn off but did something to alert the the good guys something was suspicious about this portion of space.

Maybe the accident caused some kind of energy burst picked up by a nearby ship (probably not that because of how long it'll take for that energy to get anywhere). Or it sent out tachyon or some other FTL particles that were picked up. Or some machinery inside the time dilation field was playing with subspace signals but was contained by the field and the moment it shut off the subspace signals could be detected throughout the galaxy. Maybe the accident damaged their subspace equipment so it inadvertently sent out a subspace signal.

Either way, the good guys know there's something up with that portion of the galaxy. And the bad guys know the just got caught so they go 'screw it' and come at the good guys before they can piece together anything and are unprepared. You can also have moments where the good guys see the bad guys looking for very specific equipment because they want to try to fix their time dilation machine.

So it becomes the mystery of how did these bad guys get so advanced? What does it have to do with the strange event detected? And why are they going after certain pieces of technology? Then when the answer is discovered, it's a matter of not just stopping the bad guys but making sure they don't fix the time dilation device. Hell, if you want to amp up the stakes, they do get the field started again but some of the good guys manage to get in it. So they have to win inside the time dilation or the bad guys win by default.
                    Its an interesting idea but not the direction I was going for. You have guessed one aspect of the story. I was planning but there are aspects to it that I was hoping to get to that cannot be covered by that idea.

Remember when Baal was stealing those Stargates to build a new empire. Imagine that but with a Time dialation field. The plan will involve galactic domination. The TDD is only used to build new forces for an eventual galaxy wide crusade.

The way I see it even a single TDD can't win the entire Galaxy.

The basic idea is:
                    The aliens didn't build the TDD they found one the Ancients left behind. They use it on a single planet. they stockpile resources manpower and tech by kidnapping slaves and raiding existing species for their tech. Run to their homeworld build up. The field is detected and one of the races raided is Earth and manage to track down the world.

By the time they get their the aliens are in final preparations to invade in force
                    Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Its an interesting idea but not the direction I was going for. You have guessed one aspect of the story. I was planning but there are aspects to it that I was hoping to get to that cannot be covered by that idea.

Remember when Baal was stealing those Stargates to build a new empire. Imagine that but with a Time dialation field. The plan will involve galactic domination. The TDD is only used to build new forces for an eventual galaxy wide crusade.

The way I see it even a single TDD can't win the entire Galaxy.

The basic idea is:
                      The aliens didn't build the TDD they found one the Ancients left behind. They use it on a single planet. they stockpile resources manpower and tech by kidnapping slaves and raiding existing species for their tech. Run to their homeworld build up. The field is detected and one of the races raided is Earth and manage to track down the world.

By the time they get their the aliens are in final preparations to invade in force
                      Alright. So bullet point out exactly what you're looking for (I like bullet points)

One is why would they turn off their TDD? I have to ask, why do they have to turn off their TDD? Can't they leave it on? I mean, the moment ships leave the field they are in normal time. And all it'll mean is that the bad guys will advance and build ships faster. Unless this is gonna be the reoccurring villains for a series, then you can use it as a means to add stakes that the good guys have to end the bad guys before they advance to a point they can't be beaten.

As for why if you really need them to. I can think of two things. One is what if they begin running out of power. They will be burning through fuel at a faster rate than normal. I also hesitate because you said this takes place in the SG-verse and naquadah lasts a long time. The other thought is that something is happening to the planet that is negatively affected by the faster time. Not necessarily in a scifi way. Mining will be faster for example. My first thought that they mine the planet dry. Like, all non-renewable resources stripped out. And now they wait for ships to bring more but with the TDD active they are twiddling their thumbs until ships arrive so they turn it off and go for broke since there's no point leaving it on. Another thought is that maybe the machine is causing some sort of geological instability like how we see a shield generator trigger a volcano. They'd like to keep their structures so they turn it off and use what they have.

sigpic

Comment

The time dialation device is a plot device to create a new race from existing races. in particular the vanir and hybrids

the reason they turn off their TDD is: I intend for them to come out strong knocking off Wraith faction one after another but I dont plan for them to go to war with everyone. they try diplomatic relations with Atlantis and other Pegasus Galaxy powers

I had this idea lay a moral question should this new race be trusted? should they be guilty of the crimes hybrid plague and Vanir attero destruction? the kidnapping of slave humans and raiding of facilities.

on the one hand, for inhabitants of the Pegasus Galaxy these crimes are new but for the new race its been a hundred years? Should they be held accountable? Especially now that they are winning against the Wraith.

there are wraiths we like but as a species the Wraith are biologically required to feed on humans should SGA ally with the Wraith or the new race( I keep calling them the new race but in my head I call them Vanir)

there are many other matters that can be tackled I may prepare proper bulletpoints outline in future.

I keep saying franchise cause while its primarily SGA. I intend to bring SG1 members here. Jackson, O'neill, Carter, Hoping for Teal'c

I admit this idea far exceed my capabilities.

in truth i had this idea a decade ago and have unpublished chapters but the first chapter is in fanfiction.net as stargate extermination. I plan to rewrite and publish most of the first book before the year is out
                        Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

If you want to tackle the moral questions route I think you can get away with saying their TDD malfunctioned or broke or ran out of power.

If these guys are actual enemies that excuse would feel a bit convenient so I would try the whole mining out the planet thing, a logical reason the bad guys would have to turn it off that has to inevitably come.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                            If you want to tackle the moral questions route I think you can get away with saying their TDD malfunctioned or broke or ran out of power.

If these guys are actual enemies that excuse would feel a bit convenient so I would try the whole mining out the planet thing, a logical reason the bad guys would have to turn it off that has to inevitably come.
                            i was planning to get them to hook up TDD to a solar collector and have it orbit the local star expanded to encompass a few planets and a gas giant. sounds crazy but the Asgard made a 1.2 light year bubble. Im not a scientist but the range could cover something in that area

So mining out and power limitations are not gonna be an issue.

There are options to destroy one TDD that are canon
                            1. the Wraith fight through the defenses and destroy it.
                            2. SGA blows up the sun by
                            a. wornhole gate used to destroy apophis fleet
                            b. the Camulus tainted ZPM that can blow up a star system
                            this option is kinda nuclear as in it causes a lot of collateral damage. moral question again.
                            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

I've no idea where this came from, but I suddenly had this mental picture of a Dalek landing in the roughest part of New York.

As it trundles along, looking for someone to exterminate, all the local gangs start appearing in its wake, armed with crowbars, hammers, chisels, screwdrivers and what have you.

Within five minutes, its been stripped to the bare chassis, and the poor wee blobby Kaled mutant fed to some guy's dog.
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I can see the result "Dalak Survival Guide to Earth; DO NOT GO TO NEW YORK"

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X