No announcement yet.

The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say Ron, Or Harry's cousin, that one dumb kid, what was his name ? Got knocked out by a button in one of the movies ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I was thinking more of Luna. Or is that too obvious?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        I was thinking more of Luna. Or is that too obvious?
        I thought of Luna too. she’s the first that came to mind, but I could also see one of the Weasleys. Especially the surviving twin. Because the Weasley family as a whole did suffer quite a lot because of Harry. Nothing that they could ever blame him for of course, but just being in close proximity to him. They would also have the knowledge and connections, especially with Arthur’s job at the ministry.

ooh, or Molly. SHe’d be a great vigilante.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It's the whole "Michael Keaton as Batman" thing, y'know?

But it's another thing that strikes me as odd about the Potterverse, there doesn't seem to be any form of organised crime.

I can just picture the son or daughter of some East End of London gangster getting their Hogwarts letter, and within a couple of years their father's enemies/competitors start mysteriously disappearing.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I think Rowling’s ideal is that the magical world may be ‘above’ the human world in that if you can use magic to clean the floor, who needs to earn enough money to go buy a hoover? Or the hope that the magical may be a bit better than your average human....but of course they are not. They just do things more discreetly to avoid being outed.

sigpic

Comment

I have run into a problem with my story, Its not a fanfic persei, it is grown into its own project to HOPEFULLY get published. But like I said, I have run into a problem

How the heck do I start this sick puppy ??

I got 7 main characters, 4 siblings {two sisters and their two brothers} and three of their friends {three different women} Their parents {of the four siblings} are dead and only seen in flashbacks is my plan.

How do i start this thing ? All of my mystery stories start the same; "Thunder roiled across the sky as lightning seared the clouds, amid the pouring rain was a single car...." Etc

How do I change this ? I dont want it to start this way but somehow it just is starting like that.

Everything else is fine, {character 'look', locations {yes I decided to go with Ft Lauderdale! However the four and their friends are from a fictional city in Ohio called Kawas}} my only problem is STARTING this thing

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

How about a family dinner? A birthday or significant anniversary?
                sigpic

Comment

Start it wherever you feel like, then when you finish, go back and cut out everything before the exciting part. In the middle (or wherever the action is) is the best place to start a story if you want to sell it.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Just as a little thought exercise, how much (or how little) adaptation do you feel would be necessary to mesh the Stargate-verse with the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                      I have run into a problem with my story, Its not a fanfic persei, it is grown into its own project to HOPEFULLY get published. But like I said, I have run into a problem

I got 7 main characters, 4 siblings {two sisters and their two brothers} and three of their friends {three different women} Their parents {of the four siblings} are dead and only seen in flashbacks is my plan.

How do i start this thing ? All of my mystery stories start the same; "Thunder roiled across the sky as lightning seared the clouds, amid the pouring rain was a single car...." Etc

How do I change this ? I dont want it to start this way but somehow it just is starting like that.

Everything else is fine, {character 'look', locations {yes I decided to go with Ft Lauderdale! However the four and their friends are from a fictional city in Ohio called Kawas}} my only problem is STARTING this thing
                      Just start writing, they will go where they want to and you have to write it, characters have a mind of their own if you let them and then they tell you what to do

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                        It may be best to start at a well-defined point and simply work backwards. IE imagine there's a major dinner scene where we learn some crucial bits about the characters. How far do we need to go back to set up this dinner? How much basic information do we need to understand the plot of the dinner?

Comment

so....is this a murder mystery?
                          start with a scene from the victims pov. ‘it was such a nice day, so and so did this, then that. go on and one and get them to connect......then end with ‘little did s/he know it was their last day on earth’

then to go your first scene with your characters

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            so....is this a murder mystery?
                            start with a scene from the victims pov. ‘it was such a nice day, so and so did this, then that. go on and one and get them to connect......then end with ‘little did s/he know it was their last day on earth’

then to go your first scene with your characters
                            For the most part, yes. a Murder Mystery concerning the parents of the four kids. I partly blame Zootopia's Night Howlers 'virus' for the mjain seed of this sick puppy of a story. So the four main characters range in age between 21 and 17, so they're all still in High School at the time.

I think this will work... I hope

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              It may be best to start at a well-defined point and simply work backwards. IE imagine there's a major dinner scene where we learn some crucial bits about the characters. How far do we need to go back to set up this dinner? How much basic information do we need to understand the plot of the dinner?
                              The plan is to have it start off in a school classroom for first four chapters, detailing the daily lives of the four siblings to the point they get called to the administration office due to their parents death thanks to their family Butler. BUT its before those chapters begin I am having trouble with the most. It concerns the Norovirus, think Zootopia's Night Howlers serum but for humans

Comment

You mean *this* sick puppy?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

Comment

Working...
                                X