The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
    If all the diplomatic knowledge came from the symbiote, then why is it in a 17-year-old girl?
    She's actually the one who can do diplomacy. The symbiote knows business and money (but it's legally her money in her name as symbiotes themselves can't inherit stuff).

For a while, everyone is convinced she's only in charge because she legally controls the project and funding. It takes a while for the Atlantis crew to realize she's skilled at diplomacy. Her age is kind of important, because it is the main reason most people don't trust or listen to her.

I do appreciate these questions. It's my bad for badly condensing about ten chapters of set up into a few sentences. No point in posting the fic if everyone is way too confused or doesn't buy the presmise at all.

Yes, I edited this, I hope it makes a little bit more sense now. Also, if you want the essay, I'll give it to you. I just don't want to bore you to death.
    Last edited by WraithRichard; 25 September 2018, 10:49 AM.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Ok, here's a nugget I'll be working with. Kind of inspired by a weird Harry Potter type dream I had last night.

Anyway, there was a narrow stone staircase with lots of turns in it. The PoV character (might've been me, might've been Captain Hunter) was walking up the stairs to face the big bad guy.

The Three Amigos (Harry, Ron, and Hermione) were trailing after pointing out all the ways it could all go horribly wrong.

Ron: "You're a muggle."
      PoV: "Yeah, I know.
      Harry: "You don't have a wand."
      PoV: "Yes, that's true."
      Hermione: "You don't know any magic."
      PoV: "He doesn't know that."

So it kind of ended in a Wizards Duel (in which the PoV character cheats outrageously, using flashbang grenades and CS gas grenades), goading the bad guy into losing his temper and letting loose the Killing Curse - which the PoV character dives under, rolls to his feet again, and punches the bad guy squarely in the balls.

Tactical takedown, bad guy disarmed, handcuffed and gagged, Aurors come to take him away.

Thoughts?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Boy, your weird dream totally wins...

I just dreamed I was travelling the universe with the new Doctor and her Team Tardis.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Believe me, I've had weirder dreams. And the ones I tell people about are just the ones that're suitable for polite company.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
              Ok, here's a nugget I'll be working with. Kind of inspired by a weird Harry Potter type dream I had last night.

Anyway, there was a narrow stone staircase with lots of turns in it. The PoV character (might've been me, might've been Captain Hunter) was walking up the stairs to face the big bad guy.

The Three Amigos (Harry, Ron, and Hermione) were trailing after pointing out all the ways it could all go horribly wrong.

Ron: "You're a muggle."
              PoV: "Yeah, I know.
              Harry: "You don't have a wand."
              PoV: "Yes, that's true."
              Hermione: "You don't know any magic."
              PoV: "He doesn't know that."

So it kind of ended in a Wizards Duel (in which the PoV character cheats outrageously, using flashbang grenades and CS gas grenades), goading the bad guy into losing his temper and letting loose the Killing Curse - which the PoV character dives under, rolls to his feet again, and punches the bad guy squarely in the balls.

Tactical takedown, bad guy disarmed, handcuffed and gagged, Aurors come to take him away.

Thoughts?
              Nailing him in the balls like that, yeah I can see that happening. Easily so

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Also, you guys DO NOT want to know about my dreams

My cruise mystery story for example is PARTLY based on a dream

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Actually, while it occurs to me, on the subject of wands.

You know those extendable batons you see the cops using?

I don't think they could be used as a wand as such - wands seem to be all made from naturally occuring materials, rather than manufactured.
                  sigpic

Comment

It all depemnds, I mean, you could have your POV character in your dream using an extensible baton for example, with laten magical skill even that could be come a wand.

Another example is that in the potterverse its critical to posse and use a wand to do mnagical spells and effects. However in a RP I was once part, my character actually had a severe birth defect if it wasnt for the red oak tree spliced into her spine at her shoulders. Because of that thin twig of a branch holding her spine together both magically and medically, she didnt need a wand of any kind, she was the wand

So on the subject of wands, I think its all realtive and personal thoughts. Most people would either make their own wand somehow, or just snag one from a higher up or teacher to learn with.. But having them manufactured could be a possiblity {Hence the busted wands Ron kept having, you think walmart or postal workers handled them before he did ?}

Comment

In the context of my story, my PoV character Captain Hunter the ex-Army Ranger, would use the baton for its intended purpose.

But the wizarding folk put two and two together - looks like a wand, ergo it's a wand - and come up with five.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I've been struggling for a while on the end battle of my fic, which takes place on a wraith hive. I've had a hard tiime coming up with details of how this is all supposed to go down.

Teyla and my OC go in, and the OC distracts the queen with plot and exposition. Teyla, meanwhile, has a nanovirus McGuffin that can mess with the minds of wraith and Teyla can spread it with her powers. Meanwhile John comes to save their butts because even he thinks the plan is suicidally stupid.

The end result is no more hive, no more queen, crash land on a planet, and john witnesses Teyla doing something questionable.

Figiuring out the actual plans (and no, I'm not limiting myself to just those characters, they're just essential for the end and hte distraction), even stupid plans, has alluded me for a month.

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Have you ever started writing a preset up plot, and then as you write it just starts evolving on its own ? Its gotten to the point for me to just give up on plotting and just write as it comes to me, I do it the Ed McBain way, "Play it as it Lays" Ten pages a day for 30 days is a good number of pages {not to mention words} But even then, the plot evolves as I write.

Now I got my MC hunting vampires in Jumanji

Comment

All the time... my envisioned plots rarely end up the way I envisioned them. The characters will always run away with it.

Comment

Oh heavens yes.

Ben Aaronovitch (author of the highly successful "Rivers of London" novels) refers to such characters as "openers" - because they were only supposed to open a door for a main character and therefore let the plot develop.
                              Last edited by BruTak; 28 December 2018, 12:43 AM. Reason: Typo.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                                Have you ever started writing a preset up plot, and then as you write it just starts evolving on its own ? Its gotten to the point for me to just give up on plotting and just write as it comes to me, I do it the Ed McBain way, "Play it as it Lays" Ten pages a day for 30 days is a good number of pages {not to mention words} But even then, the plot evolves as I write.

Now I got my MC hunting vampires in Jumanji
                                Yup. I restarted a plot I was stuck on. It didn't work out, but was meant to be small. My fic exploded (I should realy cut the 16-page chapter into peices, but I know how best to do that.

And tha'ts jsut Stargate. My original stuff is crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X