The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must have been some dream...

I dreamt I dropped a nest of spiders by accident, and then they all escaped and I was said they did... they were teeny tiny yellow and black spiders.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well, like I say, the ones I tell people about are just the ones that're fit for polite company.

The naughty ones I keep to myself.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Using dreams as a source of inspiration ? Yeah I've done it a few times. it was partly how my current projects manefested. One project of which is a complete overhaul of an old one

For an example I somehow am still kicking around the idea of a Avengers/Stargate type crossover story of WHAT IF Scarlet Witch didnt get snapped into dust ? Its still in the seeding stage of trying to grow into something more then those words

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Yeah, it's kind of been at the back of my mind for a while, how much cutting and pasting would need to be done to integrate the SG-1 timeline with the MCU.

Carol Danvers lecturing at the USAF Academy when Sam Carter was a cadet, maybe?
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            Well, like I say, the ones I tell people about are just the ones that're fit for polite company.

The naughty ones I keep to myself.

Comment

What's the general opinion of including fictionalised versions of real people in your fics?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                What's the general opinion of including fictionalised versions of real people in your fics?
                Depends on the person...

Are you talking real people fic? Or adding a living-breathing person into it?

In case of the first that's a line I'm not comfortable crossing.
                In case of the second, I think staying true to the person, should be attempted.

Comment

Ok, to give an example - a British character is to receive an honour of some sort from the Queen (or other member of the royal family).

Would you specifically write some dialogue between the two, or just have it pass in a daze for the fictional character?
                  sigpic

Comment

I see nothing wrong with having real people in fics, but the interactions with fictional characters need to be realistic. The dialog between the Queen and the recipient of an honor is probably pretty standardized, and you can probably use Google to find out what is usually said.

Having it pass in a daze is probably easier, though.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Two questions

One: I need some help finding inspirations/ideas for a final battle. Mostly because the bad guys are arguably weaker than the good guys. They have no armies. They are outnumbered by the good guys. They have been causing problems since they use stealth and subterfuge. So can anyone give me any ideas on how the showdown will go down? Or recommend movies that have something similar. I mean, I'm already looking at the Dark Knight. Anything else?

Second: Can anyone tell me what would the ecological impact of having an area stripped of all organic life (plants, animals,bacteria, everything)? The area in question could be as small as a town to as big as a country (I imagine the severity gets worse as the area gets bigger).

sigpic
                      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I have found this YouTube channel called "Horrible Writing Advice" :

https://youtu.be/22E82Q1dLSY
                        https://youtu.be/_elajKdNfhM

Some of them are so funny and it can really help the fan fiction writers too how to avoid some mistakes.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                          Second: Can anyone tell me what would the ecological impact of having an area stripped of all organic life (plants, animals,bacteria, everything)? The area in question could be as small as a town to as big as a country (I imagine the severity gets worse as the area gets bigger).
                          You would essentially be killing an entire habitat.
                          It might recover after a while, but it will be forever changed, and you'll loose what biodiversity there used to be.

You are literally killing all life, from the largest life form to the tiniest cells.

This might be a good start to answer that question: Habitat Loss & Degradation

Comment

You guys remember me talking about making that Cruise Ship mystery story ? Will I went on another weeklong cruise {this time to the South Carribean AKA Dutch Carribean and it was amazing and very inspiring} and I decided to get down to brass tacks and just hammer out an outline of this sick mess and whoa

I didnt realise just how much stuff I have to work with. Literal ship loads of ideas and musings and notes! I even have a short list, so far, on one of my tablets of possibel chapter titles!

Tell me now, since I actually plan to try and publish this thing when its done {or in phases, either work} am I crazy ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Still thinking about my "S.H.I.E.L.D. Scotland" story, and since I know next to nothing about Inverness, I've decided that the Highlands and Islands guy (I need to give these characters names...) lives on a boat on Loch Ness.
                              sigpic

Comment

So I first had this idea about 6 years ago and completely forgot about it, but then it recently came back to me. At first I thought it was a new idea I'd come up with, until I realised it wasn't.

Anyway, basically my idea is for a possible multi chaptered fic set in Atlantis, either S4 or 5, but with Sam in charge. And they discover evidence of the Goa'uld in the Pegasus galaxy. My more recent idea was that they were there hundreds of years ago, but that possibly might not work. But someone suggested that maybe they could use the gate network to find their way to Pegasus rather than ship, and maybe somehow incorporate those humans that have the ATA gene. Which could work, but then I thought what if a Goa'uld, having discovered the mirror, comes through having discovered Atlantis on their end.

At the moment it's just an idea, and probably needs a lot of work, but it'll be a crossover fic if I can get it to work.

Anyway, what do people think about the bit with the miorror and a Goa'uld (probably a system lord) coming through from another reality/universe. Should I use that or scrap it.

I do actually have another completely separate idea, but that can wait.
                                sigpic
                                He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness, and warmth when I shiver in cold

Comment

Working...
                                X