Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BruTak View Post
    Y'know, I think I just might.

I've thought of where the Glasgow office is - somewhere in the bowels of Glasgow Central Station. The Edinburgh office is part of an old decommissioned secret military base under Edinburgh Castle.

But I don't know Inverness that well (only been there a couple of times), so I'm struggling to think of somewhere for the Inverness office.

I'll see if anyone in the Fic Help thread can suggest something.
    I'd help, but never been.
    Monica Zelenka lover since 2004! RDA fan since 1985! Lorne fan since 2003!

Lady Pandora
    Atlantis Series: Retrospective Ruminations Unexpected

Have you guys ever tried this ?

Using a movie series, or video games series, or TV series, to influence a certain characters' mannerisms ? In my case I have a character named Prince Talon, and somehow he ended up modeled after Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones in how he details things

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete

"Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Yeah, I kind of do that was well. I suppose it's a kind of shorthand.

If you're writing an original character, you say to yourself "Maybe they look a bit like such-and-such an actor/actress", or you pick someone's mannerisms and transplant them to your character.

One of my OCs, Lt. Carol Ann McCall, Royal Navy Reserve, goes by the nickname "Callan".

This was inspired by my youngest niece, who had a tiny bit of a speech impediment when she was a toddler (she'll be 20 next birthday) so that her Rs came out as Ds.

So, in the context of the character, when Lt. McCall was very young she couldn't quite pronounce "Carol Ann" properly, it came out as "Callan" and just kind of stuck.

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Chief Master Sergeant

hrrm time for a Bert Reynolds themed comic book or game
    or a book whatever

Teal'c Re: The Fan-fic Ideas and Advice Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AleksisMi View Post
    hrrm time for a Bert Reynolds themed comic book or game
    or a book whatever
    "Smokey and the Bandit pt. 2" has always been a particular favourite of mine.

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

If I may interject with my own story (I do not mean to interrupt or step on anyone's toes), I could use some help with my own story. It takes place right about Atlantis ended, but it ignored the books.

Atlantis goes back into space, this time as a headquarters for peace (A Space Untied Nations, sorta). The problem is, the person who was supposed to be in charge died and due to several complicated details, the person who gets the job as ambassador is a 17-year-old girl. A secret organization is after the symbiote she's a host to, and she also has to deal with politics of two different galaxies. Internal politics aren't great either, as she's not military, young, not entirely comfortable with the crew, blamed for lots of things, and she's been explaining modern politics to aliens (things like nationhood and cultural identity and extinction), which messes with them just doing things 'the simple way'.

I've got some basics of some plots, like the war in the Pegasus galaxy and assassins and nanites. I could use some help solidifying the lots (if that makes sense) and some ideas on what to do with canon characters, so my original ones don't seem like they take over the story.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by WraithRichard View Post
    ...(things like nationhood and cultural identity and extinction)...
    What 17 year old is capable of explaining that? Even with a symbiote to help out.

What's the background here?
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Oh, I dunno. You get some pretty intelligent teenagers these days. And even younger!

I can remember back in the late 70s/early 80s, there was this young boy who'd appear on chat shows in the UK - he was about 10 years old or so at the time, thin faced, very fair curly blond hair - and he was an expert in antiques.

For the life of me I can't remember his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    What 17 year old is capable of explaining that? Even with a symbiote to help out.

What's the background here?
    I'm not calling myself or my sister a genius, but it was pretty mucht he norm to read King Leopold's Ghost, 1984, The Constitution, The Declaration of Independence, a speech or two about Manifest Destiny, Anne Frank's Diary (or something similar), and pretty much anything on the history of denying black people rights.

And that's without things like watching Stargate or Star Trek or Avatar the Last Airbender (sure, sometimes they don't use those words, but they use the concepts).

These seemed like basic things to me when I graduated (okay, sure, I didn't learnt the names for some of them). I'm pretty sure kids have to write at least one essay about this before college (or to get into college).

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

If all the diplomatic knowledge came from the symbiote, then why is it in a 17 year old girl?

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Quote Originally Posted by StargateMillennium View Post
    If all the diplomatic knowledge came from the symbiote, then why is it in a 17-year-old girl?
    She's actually the one who can do diplomacy. The symbiote knows business and money (but it's legally her money in her name as symbiotes themselves can't inherit stuff).

For a while, everyone is convinced she's only in charge because she legally controls the project and funding. It takes a while for the Atlantis crew to realize she's skilled at diplomacy. Her age is kind of important, because it is the main reason most people don't trust or listen to her.

I do appreciate these questions. It's my bad for badly condensing about ten chapters of set up into a few sentences. No point in posting the fic if everyone is way too confused or doesn't buy the presmise at all.

Yes, I edited this, I hope it makes a little bit more sense now. Also, if you want the essay, I'll give it to you. I just don't want to bore you to death.
    Last edited by WraithRichard; September 25th, 2018 at 11:49 AM.

Ok, here's a nugget I'll be working with. Kind of inspired by a weird Harry Potter type dream I had last night.

Anyway, there was a narrow stone staircase with lots of turns in it. The PoV character (might've been me, might've been Captain Hunter) was walking up the stairs to face the big bad guy.

The Three Amigos (Harry, Ron, and Hermione) were trailing after pointing out all the ways it could all go horribly wrong.

Ron: "You're a muggle."
    PoV: "Yeah, I know.
    Harry: "You don't have a wand."
    PoV: "Yes, that's true."
    Hermione: "You don't know any magic."
    PoV: "He doesn't know that."

So it kind of ended in a Wizards Duel (in which the PoV character cheats outrageously, using flashbang grenades and CS gas grenades), goading the bad guy into losing his temper and letting loose the Killing Curse - which the PoV character dives under, rolls to his feet again, and punches the bad guy squarely in the balls.

Tactical takedown, bad guy disarmed, handcuffed and gagged, Aurors come to take him away.

Thoughts?

Boy, your weird dream totally wins...

I just dreamed I was travelling the universe with the new Doctor and her Team Tardis.

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Believe me, I've had weirder dreams. And the ones I tell people about are just the ones that're suitable for polite company.

Quote Originally Posted by BruTak View Post
    Ok, here's a nugget I'll be working with. Kind of inspired by a weird Harry Potter type dream I had last night.

Anyway, there was a narrow stone staircase with lots of turns in it. The PoV character (might've been me, might've been Captain Hunter) was walking up the stairs to face the big bad guy.

The Three Amigos (Harry, Ron, and Hermione) were trailing after pointing out all the ways it could all go horribly wrong.

Ron: "You're a muggle."
    PoV: "Yeah, I know.
    Harry: "You don't have a wand."
    PoV: "Yes, that's true."
    Hermione: "You don't know any magic."
    PoV: "He doesn't know that."

So it kind of ended in a Wizards Duel (in which the PoV character cheats outrageously, using flashbang grenades and CS gas grenades), goading the bad guy into losing his temper and letting loose the Killing Curse - which the PoV character dives under, rolls to his feet again, and punches the bad guy squarely in the balls.

Tactical takedown, bad guy disarmed, handcuffed and gagged, Aurors come to take him away.

Thoughts?
    Nailing him in the balls like that, yeah I can see that happening. Easily so

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Also, you guys DO NOT want to know about my dreams

My cruise mystery story for example is PARTLY based on a dream

Actually, while it occurs to me, on the subject of wands.

You know those extendable batons you see the cops using?

I don't think they could be used as a wand as such - wands seem to be all made from naturally occuring materials, rather than manufactured.

It all depemnds, I mean, you could have your POV character in your dream using an extensible baton for example, with laten magical skill even that could be come a wand.

Another example is that in the potterverse its critical to posse and use a wand to do mnagical spells and effects. However in a RP I was once part, my character actually had a severe birth defect if it wasnt for the red oak tree spliced into her spine at her shoulders. Because of that thin twig of a branch holding her spine together both magically and medically, she didnt need a wand of any kind, she was the wand

So on the subject of wands, I think its all realtive and personal thoughts. Most people would either make their own wand somehow, or just snag one from a higher up or teacher to learn with.. But having them manufactured could be a possiblity {Hence the busted wands Ron kept having, you think walmart or postal workers handled them before he did ?}

In the context of my story, my PoV character Captain Hunter the ex-Army Ranger, would use the baton for its intended purpose.

But the wizarding folk put two and two together - looks like a wand, ergo it's a wand - and come up with five.